Binging vs overeating

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Over eating is never fine...it means you have lost control same with binging and usually is a way of coping with feelings as well.

Not true. Since I had an extra 540 calories yesterday, I will eat a little lighter today and tomorrow. Problem solved. That's easy for 540 calories, but not so easy if it had been an extra 3000 calories. Binge-eating is when you don't stop eating because it tastes so good, then you have to stop because you are going to vomit.

Also, I *always* overeat on Thanksgiving and Christmas, and I plan to continue that in the future. There is nothing wrong with the occasional feast.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    My point is about a loss of control. Maybe the intensity is different - but binging and overeating are a loss of control. If I ate a whole pizza out with friends - I would not be calm about it. It's much more pizza than I needed. If I am depressed and eat a whole tub of ice cream - I would not be calm about that either. It's about the loss of control - regardless of the circumstances.

I disagree with this too. Binge-eating is losing control. Overeating is being not only consciously aware, but also planning it and feeling no guilt over it. Also, you have to overeat on a consistent basis over time before your body reacts. With binge-eating, the reaction is right away, the nausea, gas, bloating, etc. for up to 24 hours.
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I just don't see a huge difference between the two...I don't believe that binging is "an out of control" thing imho it's a decision you make to stand there and eat mindlessly regardless of the taste, hunger etc. esp if it's the way you describe it...which I have never experienced...for me it was more of a "I can't believe it's gone I didn't even taste it...where did it all go" Just like over eating is a choice to eat it because you are bored, it tastes good or because it's there...

I don't know---I can see a difference between overeating (whoops I went 400 calories over with that ice cream) and binging (I ate 7,000 calories today and I could.not.stop.until.everything.was.gone.)

I don't know---I remember an episode of Intervention where the girl was so addicted to binging and purging, she stripped in order to buy hundreds of dollars worth of food everyday. You think that's someone who is just making a decision to stand there and mindlessly eat???
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Over eating is never fine...it means you have lost control same with binging and usually is a way of coping with feelings as well.

Not true. Since I had an extra 540 calories yesterday, I will eat a little lighter today and tomorrow. Problem solved. That's easy for 540 calories, but not so easy if it had been an extra 3000 calories. Binge-eating is when you don't stop eating because it tastes so good, then you have to stop because you are going to vomit.

Also, I *always* overeat on Thanksgiving and Christmas, and I plan to continue that in the future. There is nothing wrong with the occasional feast.

regardless of your opinion it doesn't negate mine as "untrue"

having an extra 540 calories while in a deficet can't be considered over eating unless you did it because it tasted good and you weren't hungry when you ate it...which to me is the same as binging...regardless of how many calories you take in.

Because you can binge on carrots, or grapes or chocolate or beer...calories are irrelevant it's the reason for doing it that makes it what it is.
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options

Not true. Since I had an extra 540 calories yesterday, I will eat a little lighter today and tomorrow. Problem solved.

:drinker: Hear, hear!
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    I just don't see a huge difference between the two...I don't believe that binging is "an out of control" thing imho it's a decision you make to stand there and eat mindlessly regardless of the taste, hunger etc. esp if it's the way you describe it...which I have never experienced...for me it was more of a "I can't believe it's gone I didn't even taste it...where did it all go" Just like over eating is a choice to eat it because you are bored, it tastes good or because it's there...

I don't know---I can see a difference between overeating (whoops I went 400 calories over with that ice cream) and binging (I ate 7,000 calories today and I could.not.stop.until.everything.was.gone.)

I don't know---I remember an episode of Intervention where the girl was so addicted to binging and purging, she stripped in order to buy hundreds of dollars worth of food everyday. You think that's someone who is just making a decision to stand there and mindlessly eat???

not sure why the number of calories is indicative of a binge or overeating....

a. A period of unrestrained, immoderate self-indulgence.

b. A period of excessive or uncontrolled indulgence in food or drink

actual definition of a binge...sounds like over eating to me.
  • Kitship
    Options

having an extra 540 calories while in a deficet can't be considered over eating unless you did it because it tasted good and you weren't hungry when you ate it...which to me is the same as binging...regardless of how many calories you take in.

Because you can binge on carrots, or grapes or chocolate or beer...calories are irrelevant it's the reason for doing it that makes it what it is.

It's untrue that overeating is "never fine". You don't know if someone overeating is due to emotions or because they just want another slice of cake. If the person's goal is to lose weight, and they stay at a weekly deficit, what's the issue?
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

No, 540 calories over maintenance. Calories are *exactly* what is relevant because too many of them is how I added an average of 6.4 pounds per year for a period of twenty years. Calories are how I lost nearly 80 pounds from July 2012 to May 2013 and how I have maintained from June 2012 to today.

The reason for doing it, for me, is that certain foods taste super-yummy, Period.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

It's untrue that overeating is "never fine". You don't know if someone overeating is due to emotions or because they just want another slice of cake. If the person's goal is to lose weight, and they stay at a weekly deficit, what's the issue?

True. I have over-eaten several times since I went into maintenance. My body has not been storing the extra because I make up for it later. I can do that with deliberate over-eating. I have not had an episode of binge-eating since 3-12-2012.
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options

You don't see how eating an extra 540 calories and being done with it is one thing (overeating) while eating an extra 540 calories and then being triggered to go through the entire kitchen eating thousands of calories until there either isn't anything left to eat or until you are physically about to vomit (or do vomit) is different? That's where at least I am coming from in my distinction between the two. Yes, overeating may involve some of the same guilty feelings as binging, but binging is generally much more intense guilt-wise and quantity-wise. I can't speak for everyone, just trying to explain how I see the difference because maybe others are the same.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Great question.

Sunday, I ate (and honestly logged) 4,879 calories. My daily goal is 1,440. I started out with a good brunch, followed by lunch and dinner consisting of nacho chips and cheese and ice cream. I made a conscience decision to eat like crap, b/c I wanted to eat nachos and ice cream. I also knew that I wasn't gonna be losing any weight this week because I eat my 3500 calorie deficit. Oh well, I made a decision to overeat. No biggie deal.

Binging, IMHO, is not a conscience decision. It is an overwhelming compulsion to continue stuffing food in my face without any pleasure or enjoyment. It is almost like an obsession to eat all this stuff so it will be gone and can't hurt me anymore.

Luckily, I haven't binged in quite a while.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

not sure why the number of calories is indicative of a binge or overeating....

a. A period of unrestrained, immoderate self-indulgence.

b. A period of excessive or uncontrolled indulgence in food or drink

actual definition of a binge...sounds like over eating to me.

^^ you have described binge-eating.

Over-eating simply means eating too much. Nearly everyone does this at holiday feasts, etc. Binge-eating is disordered eating. It is not normal and needs to be rectified.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

You don't see how eating an extra 540 calories and being done with it is one thing (overeating) while eating an extra 540 calories and then being triggered to go through the entire kitchen eating thousands of calories until there either isn't anything left to eat or until you are physically about to vomit (or do vomit) is different? That's where at least I am coming from in my distinction between the two. Yes, overeating may involve some of the same guilty feelings as binging, but binging is generally much more intense guilt-wise and quantity-wise. I can't speak for everyone, just trying to explain how I see the difference because maybe others are the same.

Oh...the vomiting....it's the worst part, imo. I think you have to have been there in order to understand. Like I said, it's the same reason I quit binge-drinking. I hate vomiting. I also hate not being in control of myself. :ohwell:
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Great question.

Sunday, I ate (and honestly logged) 4,879 calories. My daily goal is 1,440. I started out with a good brunch, followed by lunch and dinner consisting of nacho chips and cheese and ice cream. I made a conscience decision to eat like crap, b/c I wanted to eat nachos and ice cream. I also knew that I wasn't gonna be losing any weight this week because I eat my 3500 calorie deficit. Oh well, I made a decision to overeat. No biggie deal.

Binging, IMHO, is not a conscience decision. It is an overwhelming compulsion to continue stuffing food in my face without any pleasure or enjoyment. It is almost like an obsession to eat all this stuff so it will be gone and can't hurt me anymore.

Luckily, I haven't binged in quite a while.

Yes yes yes! COMPULSION is exactly the word I think I've been grasping for. Thinking about it, in the moment I am usually void of emotion too, then afterwards is when whatever feelings I was trying to stuff down or run away from hit, plus the guilt from the obscene amount I just consumed. Logically I know I have the physical ability to stop my hands from bringing food to my mouth. But in the moment that logic goes out the window. It's like it's not even me anymore. It is a truly scary thing for me.

@Wendy, yes I agree you have to have been there and done it to truly understand.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

No, 540 calories over maintenance. Calories are *exactly* what is relevant because too many of them is how I added an average of 6.4 pounds per year for a period of twenty years. Calories are how I lost nearly 80 pounds from July 2012 to May 2013 and how I have maintained from June 2012 to today.

The reason for doing it, for me, is that certain foods taste super-yummy, Period.

Like I said to me regardless of what you call it why you do it matters...if you are over maintenance because it tasted good that is unhealthy...eating an entire bag (and I mean a 2lb bag) of carrots mindlessly is unhealthy...calories be damned.

I have my thoughts on Overeating and binging and they are what they are and regardless of how many people tell me my thoughts are untrue it is based on my life experience...and tell me I am wrong or whatever doesn't matter.

I have my views on what is unhealthy when it comes to the consumption of food and you have yours they don't have to be the same...

I just find it odd that consistent overeating is called binging by the mental health community.

That's your opinion and it doesn't make my opinion "a lie"...I feel over-eating/binging regardless of the reason is not a good thing, esp if it puts you over your goals, is that you aren't changing those habits that got you fat in the first place.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Overeating is like going out with friends, planning to have "a bit too much" to drink and knowing you will suffer the consequence of a hang-over the next morning.

And binging is, well, binging.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    My point is about a loss of control. Maybe the intensity is different - but binging and overeating are a loss of control. If I ate a whole pizza out with friends - I would not be calm about it. It's much more pizza than I needed. If I am depressed and eat a whole tub of ice cream - I would not be calm about that either. It's about the loss of control - regardless of the circumstances.

But I don't see why you should feel bad about eating a pizza with your friends if that's what you want. Eating a pizza once in a while won't make you fat. Exceeding your caloric intake once in a while won't make you fat.
    You don't have to eat at manteinance forever, this is unrealistic. It's more like a tendency than a static goal. You can't really be expecting to eat your exact TDEE every single day of your life. Also, overeating doesn't mean you're lacking of self control - if I feel very hungry and eat 100 kcals more than my goal and this is enough to quench my hunger, it's alright. It's planned, and it doesn't involve any bad feeling.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I can liken it to my drinking. I used to stop off at the bar on the way home. A shot of well vodka with whatever beer was on tap to chase it. This went for two or three rounds, then I drove home, half-assed fixed some dinner, and went for several more rounds until I passed out. I had episodes of black-outs, being told things I had done, seemingly conscious, but completely unaware of my actions. I quit entirely for about six months. Now I can drink a beer or two and do not even get drunk at all. I will not drink more than two and avoid vodka entirely. Smelling vodka can be a trigger, I discovered, but I can do fine with beer. I did have a shot of tequila on New Year's and it didn't trigger me. Something about vodka...:blushing:)

The only difference is that I never blacked out on food. :laugh:
  • Kitship
    Options

Like I said to me regardless of what you call it why you do it matters...if you are over maintenance because it tasted good that is unhealthy...eating an entire bag (and I mean a 2lb bag) of carrots mindlessly is unhealthy...calories be damned.

I have my thoughts on Overeating and binging and they are what they are and regardless of how many people tell me my thoughts are untrue it is based on my life experience...and tell me I am wrong or whatever doesn't matter.

I have my views on what is unhealthy when it comes to the consumption of food and you have yours they don't have to be the same...

I just find it odd that consistent overeating is called binging by the mental health community.

That's your opinion and it doesn't make my opinion "a lie"...I feel over-eating/binging regardless of the reason is not a good thing, esp if it puts you over your goals, is that you aren't changing those habits that got you fat in the first place.

I never said your opinion was a lie. As I said before, there is absolutely nothing wrong with over eating if you are at an overall deficit (if your goal is to lose weight). It doesn't matter if it's a binge or if you just overate accidentally.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

It's because binge-eating is actually a disorder. It *IS* a mental health issue. My problems stemmed from untreated depression. I self-medicated with alcohol and chocolate, etc. The alcohol intensified the depression and caused a spiral effect. It only ended when I finally quit denying my problems and sought counseling.

Mental health professions understand the difference because it's their job.

http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/binge-eating-disorder