how much do you spend on a haircut?

Options

Replies

• eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    As a frame of reference though My wife has had her haoir cut by the same guy for almost 40 years, she pays $100 his normal female clients pay $175 men pay $150
    If he does her highlights he charges her $75 and does a better job than me (but I don't charge lol)
  • fedup30
    fedup30 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Cut, color and tip ranges from $75 (partial highlights) or $100 (for all over color). I have very long, thick hair....tends to take awhile and a lot of color. I think I actually get quite a deal on it since my friend owns her own place. She doesn't charge me for the extra color it takes to do it all!
  • HermioneDanger118
    HermioneDanger118 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Mine's $65 + tip. When I was younger I used to have total haircut anxiety because I was growing it out to donate, and the person never did what I wanted her to do. I found this one salon where everyone I go to is fantastic and the cut lasts several months, so I only cut it 3x/year or so. To me it's worth it. :)
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Max $20. There is no need to spend more than that for someone to chop dead stuff off your head.

Sometimes I just put it in a ponytail and chop myself.

Wow I must be the only person here who doesn't think you should tip a hair dresser.
  • _Tink_
    _Tink_ Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    $0. I cut it myself.

This.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Wow I must be the only person here who doesn't think you should tip a hair dresser.

Unless they are the salon owner, you should ALWAYS tip your hairdresser. Unless they do a horrible job, and at which point you should say something. But if you like your cut? TIP!!
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    What a mean spirited question.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    What a mean spirited question.

You have a nicely trimmed goatee
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    $80 with color
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    $0 unless you count razors, which is a total racket!
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options

Unless they are the salon owner, you should ALWAYS tip your hairdresser. Unless they do a horrible job, and at which point you should say something. But if you like your cut? TIP!!

Why? They already make more than I think should be paid for what they do.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    My aunt is a retired hairdresser. My haircut is just trimming the ends a bit or a little re-shape if necessary.
    She "charges" $15, but I give her $20. She won't accept more, even if I pick up a color to have her put in.

I think my husband pays her the same thing.

I know I'd pay minimum $35 to have it cut at a salon (my hair is long), but she cuts it just the way I like.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Me: $30ish

Husband & kids: free (I use a pair of clippers).

My friend in NYC said the cheapest she could find was about $90, and it was bad.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

That really depends. Many stylists have to rent their stations, but have their service costs set by the salon. They often don't clear much by the end of the day.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options

Then don't tip your hairdresser, and don't go to a salon where you have to pay more than you think it's worth. It's personal preference. Me? I tip when I go. The salon I go to has the stylists "rent" their chairs, which cuts into what they earn. I have no problem tipping so they can take home a little more money.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options

Then go to another salon. Don't insult your hairdresser.
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    $25 without tip. I dye my own hair for about $10.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Whatever a new buzzer costs every 2-3 years / number of haircuts in that time (~every 3 weeks or so)
  • Jade0529
    Jade0529 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I've paid about 40 on average in the past but I haven't cut my hair in a year
    I colour it myself. Manic Panic is about $15 a container and that lasts me quite a while (prob 6 months or more)
    Oh and stuff to bleach it if I want prob equals $10

Why wouldn't you tip?
    When I get a pedicure (which is sadly like once a season) I tip the woman and she owns the place! Why? because she works hard and she goes out of her way to make it perfect and gives me little extras for free
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    I'm a guy and I buzz my hair every 2 weeks. Maybe more depending on the weather.

So here's the math:
    I buy a $50 set of clippers about once every 5 years.
    So let's see, 50/5 = $10 per year.
    $10/26 haircuts per year = just about $0.38.

Yes, I pay about 38 cents to cut my own hair.

i've been using the same pair of clippers for about 15 years or so. They still work beautifully.

the last time i had someone else cut my hair was probably 2005 just before my wedding.