Can we talk for a minute about "Cauliflower Rice"

Options
1234568»

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Riced cauliflower is pretty good. And yes, calling it "riced" is perfectly acceptable unless you are being a pretentious *kitten* on the internet.

Still isn't a pizza crust.
    it makes a good base for pizza ingredients. :-)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    my response to this title …lets not and say we did..
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Riced cauliflower is pretty good. And yes, calling it "riced" is perfectly acceptable unless you are being a pretentious *kitten* on the internet.

I gave it an honest try and hated it. Turned out spongy and broke apart. Don't get me wrong, the flavors were good, but I had to eat it with a fork. I tried 4 times.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Why not just eat cauliflower if you like it, eat rice if you like it, and please don't ruin pizza crust

i eat it roasted, raw, pizza crust form, rice form, potato, cauliflowr mash..

some of us CANT have reg crust.. it works well try it before you knock it.. its yummy.. lol

I will make you a deal…stop posting all the stupid cauliflower subs for food, and I will stop posting in threads calling them out….
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

I gave it an honest try and hated it. Turned out spongy and broke apart. Don't get me wrong, the flavors were good, but I had to eat it with a fork. I tried 4 times.
    we eat it often. We bake it on the pizza stone and it turns out well.
  • ChristinWrites
    ChristinWrites Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    For those who like it and have trouble with cauliflower crusts it works better the more moisture you get out of it. place it between two kitchen towels and really, really squeeze and twist the towel until you can't get anymore water out of it. Then it makes a great crust that won't break apart.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Funny thread!

I'm sorry guys but I have a confession. I've tried the cauli pizza base (it was crappy, same cals as normal because of higher fat content), cauli rice (did this the other day fried rice style with curry and cumin and that was delicious!) and cauli bread. Savoury bread that was ok but tasted a lot better with big slabs of peanut butter.

I do like to experiment in the kitchen though. Partly because I am a volume eater and the fibrous veggie concoctions mean I can still eat massive meals for low calories. Doesn't mean you have to switch from the "normal" version of foods to the lower cal option all the time though. I still eat plenty of normal rice and pizza but just depends on the current goals.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Getting butthurt and belligerent over what other people call what they eat definitely strikes me as the sign of a healthy relationship with food. Not srs.

Can't pretend I'm a big fan of the mentality of "let's replace everything with cauliflower", but...
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower rice is awesome. I prefer it to normal rice. And it has more nutrients than normal rice too.

I find that hard to believe - rice is packed full of nutrients. lol
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Blows my mind how people seem to care so much what other people call their food. I can only assume these same people lose their composure when someone brings a fruit pizza to a party - unless it's made with marinara sauce and traditional pizza crust I suppose.
    Fruit pizza??? If you were coming to my party and we're bringing fruit pizza I'd want to know in advance so I can de-friend you irl.

No way! (Unless it's one of those parties where no one is eating anything, and those have their place. :wink: )

Sugar cookie crust topped with sweetened cream cheese and then slices of fresh fruit, with an apple jelly glaze on top to seal the deal. It's heaven. Some people use refrigerated cookie dough, but I like to make it from scratch. There are very few desserts made with fruit that taste better.

Perhaps he's thinking of a tomato-based variant. :tongue:

Maybe. But I'm a big fan of dessert pizza. I like the fruit pizza and the cinnamon streusel pizza the best. The only dessert pizza I never liked was the "Oreo pizza" from Domino's. That was the nastiest crap I ever heard called "dessert." Just eww. It didn't even taste like an Oreo, just like chocolate-ish cardboard. lol
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    I like cauliflower. I just eat it raw (I like crunchy things). I've seen cauliflower "rice". Looks like shredded coconut. In honesty, I'd rather sub shredded coconut if I had to forego the real rice.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I like cauliflower. I just eat it raw (I like crunchy things). I've seen cauliflower "rice". Looks like shredded coconut. In honesty, I'd rather sub shredded coconut if I had to forego the real rice.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

oh gawd.

I can't stand shredded coconut- you can have all of my extra that sneaks into my house occasionally- the texture and flavor just - yeah no.

that being said- I like roasted veggies- even cauliflower.

I said this first page- it's not bad- it's certainly not rice- but it's to much work.
    Maybe. But I'm a big fan of dessert pizza. I like the fruit pizza and the cinnamon streusel pizza the best. The only dessert pizza I never liked was the "Oreo pizza" from Domino's. That was the nastiest crap I ever heard called "dessert." Just eww. It didn't even taste like an Oreo, just like chocolate-ish cardboard. lol

Someone brought a nutella and canollie pizza in for one of our dance events. I don't even care for nutella but it was actually pretty good.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

oh gawd.

I can't stand shredded coconut- you can have all of my extra that sneaks into my house occasionally- the texture and flavor just - yeah no.

that being said- I like roasted veggies- even cauliflower.

I said this first page- it's not bad- it's certainly not rice- but it's to much work.

Someone brought a nutella and canollie pizza in for one of our dance events. I don't even care for nutella but it was actually pretty good.

Cannoli is something that I've always wanted to try but have never had the chance. Nutella is okay. My kids like to glob it on bread, which is kinda nasty to me. I don't mind it on graham crackers, but mostly I just don't buy it. That saves on the grocery budget, which is tight enough as it is.
  • velocity60
    velocity60 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    OMG how did i not even know this existed, i just googled it on my phone and there are like 10 pages ! I am so on this i love rice, and its always touted as Satan ! going to store to load up !!!
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's anything normal about wanting to pretend something isn't what it is, but hey that's just me.
    I like rice and call it rice.
    I like cauliflower and call it cauliflower.
    I haven't tried to create a dish from cauliflower in very small bits, but it sounds delicious. I definitely don't get why this would be called cauliflower rice, since there's no rice in it, so boring me would still call it cauliflower.
    Do you know what the verb is for chopping a vegetable or other food into small bits?

mince :wink:
    lol. Riced.

eww, now I'm thinking of minced meat pies. BLECH.

mince: a. To cut or chop into very small pieces. b. To subdivide into minute parts. :laugh: :flowerforyou:

Never tried minced meat pie, but from your reaction... I think I shan't. :tongue:
    It's also called RICING. :flowerforyou:
    verb (used with object), riced, ric·ing.
    to reduce to a form resembling rice: to rice potatoes.

Minced meat pie is vile (in my humble opinion).:happy:

The cooking term rice is not the equivalent of mince. Rice in that sense is used in reference to putting food through a food mill or a ricer. This is not the same thing as mince which is very fine chopping. Most of the people who make "cauliflower rice" are mincing it, not ricing it, so technically they should say minced cauliflower, but I don't care as long as they don't call it just plain rice when it is actually cauliflower. :)

I am not a fan of cauliflower although I do enjoy it once in a while. Personally I think cauliflower has a strong taste and don't see how anyone could consider it to be an acceptable substitute for something bland like rice, potato, or pizza crust. I have had mashed cauliflower and did not like it at all. I just wonder if people who think cauliflower works well as a replacement for rice must not have very good tastebuds.

If I couldn't eat rice I just would not eat it.
  • dancinrascal
    dancinrascal Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    OMG made it last night a LOVED it. Ate it with a spanish roast (beef stuffed with garlic/onion/whistercheir (sp?) in a tomato-ish sauce. The cauliflower rice was seasoned with garlic powder, pepper, and goya adobo seasoning. Soooo goood. I suggest using the cheese grater blade in the food processor and then sauteeing with a little bit of olive oil for a few minutes. Then add chicken broth, put a lid on the pan, and let it steam out.