Why do so many women lift such light weights?

Options

Replies

• ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Lord how many times have I seen women with baby weights and even worse, they aren't using proper form or doing any valid exercise. They are pretty mush spasming the dumbbell because they don't want to ask how to use it.

But, in thier defense, I remember reading aobut lighter weights and more reps, you know, "for toning." I now understand that those baby weights are for the body to get used to it so we can add more. (I'm guessing here.)

Honestly, I was using two 10 and 12 lb dumbells to do bench flys because I was afraid of hyperextending, but when I picked up a 20lb dumbbell to do rows, I asked myself "Holy Ish, Batman, why haven't I rowed with 20's before?" (AND, this was not too long ago.)

I'm sure 20 sounds like nothing to you pros but I can't wait to try 25 adn 30's next time. I'm going to try the 17.5 DB on the flys next time too.

I was so wrong and now I need to make up for lost time.
  • ValGogo
    Options
    Why don't women lift heavy? Let's see...
    Because we don't want to?
    Because we don't want to build visible muscle? ( I sure don't!)
    Because we don't need to, so why should we bother?
    All perfectly valid reasons.

Dayum! "We" is a powerful word.....careful with that.
  • ValGogo
    Options

Don't want to: okay, sure. But if you're lifting 2.5 pounds 100 times, you're not actually doing anything. If you're doing something else and it works for you, fine. Whatever. But at least be educated and not waste time.

Don't want to build visible muscle: Er, okay. If that's your thing. But what do you mean by visible muscle? Do you want some sort of tone or do you just want a 'thinner' body where nothing at all has any definition or 'tone'? If it's the former, lifting will do that - you won't get huge. If you want to be soft all over with no definition, definitely your choice, so I guess keep on keeping on.

Don't need to: you don't need to exercise at all, yep, so I guess that's true.

I find those reasons bizarre, but whatever floats your boat.

Hee hee. your funny :tongue:
  • marshrowan
    marshrowan Posts: 64 Member
    Options

I sure as hell want visible muscles!!! to each their own, pretty much all the women at my gym do lift heavy and its AWESOME!!!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I wasn't discussing what was required for heavy or progressive resistance training. I was discussing what is required for weight loss and being "toned" for women.

I suppose "toned" is subjective, so how about I just leave it at one does not need to always keep increasing resistance to be fit and healthy.

you can keep it at whatever you like.

But that doesn't mean you are right ;)

No, of course not. But I still am.

sigh.
    you do realize toning isn't a real thing right?

I realize it is a misuse of the word, but I also know that it's a common misusage and understand what was likely meant.

But you keep using it like that- just keeps throwint into sharp relief that which I know- and that which you know- or rather that which you don't know.

:)
  • ValGogo
    Options
    Fine.. lift pink weights :)

tumblr_m8r0uilHdD1r4df1po1_500.jpg

hahahaha!

That's awesome!
  • ValGogo
    Options

Yes this!!!

Not everyone wants to spend time in the gym sweating and grunting. I do it because it's the only way I know to look like I want to look but I hate every minute of it and completely understand why other women only want to look slim without visible muscle. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

BTW, there are a few the female personal trainers at my gym and sorry to say they are bulky. There is no other word for it and I can understand that not everyone wants to look like that. And no, they don't pump steroids and what not into their bodies they work hard for their muscle. So to say that all women won't get bulky by weight lifting is wrong.

They are trainers. That's their job. Of course they will be bulkier. Unless that is YOUR job and you do that for hours a day, chances are you are not going to bulk up.

BUT no one has mentioned that genetics also plays a factor. Everyone knows that guy or girl that NEVER works out but has natural definition. Those FREAKS!!!! And there are also folks who have trouble buildign muscle.
  • ValGogo
    Options

I sure as hell want visible muscles!!! to each their own, pretty much all the women at my gym do lift heavy and its AWESOME!!!

WORD!!!!
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

I love the ripped look! I want MORE!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I wasn't discussing what was required for heavy or progressive resistance training. I was discussing what is required for weight loss and being "toned" for women.

I suppose "toned" is subjective, so how about I just leave it at one does not need to always keep increasing resistance to be fit and healthy.

you can keep it at whatever you like.

But that doesn't mean you are right ;)

No, of course not. But I still am.

sigh.
    you do realize toning isn't a real thing right?

I realize it is a misuse of the word, but I also know that it's a common misusage and understand what was likely meant.

But you keep using it like that- just keeps throwint into sharp relief that which I know- and that which you know- or rather that which you don't know.

:)

Nope. I used it because the post to which I replied used it.
  • Asheea
    Asheea Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for everyone but I cannot lift more than 10 lbs. I stick to 5-10 lbs free weights. I hurt my wrists last year exercising and need to visit a doc. From the symptom checker it looks like carpel tunnel. I have a 15 lb kettlebell and can't lift that because my wrists just scream. I'm afraid I'll never be able to lift more than 10 lbs but I hope to lift heavy within the next two years.
  • Julieanne611
    Options
    Lots of women (ESPECIALLY moms) don't lift heavy weights because of the strain it puts on the bladder. I can't speak for other women, but the last thing I need is a friggin' bladder prolapse. Google it. It ain't pretty.

And, yeah. "Because we don't want to" seems like a valid enough reason for me. For myself, I find that my body (plus 3-5 lb. weights on occasion) provides just the right amount of resistance necessary to building and toning muscle.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights actually strengthens your pelvic floor. Bret Contreras writes about it in Strong Curves. Strong glutes will provide a strong pelvic floor. I have had two kids and I can sneeze and jump at the same time, no problems.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Lots of women (ESPECIALLY moms) don't lift heavy weights because of the strain it puts on the bladder. I can't speak for other women, but the last thing I need is a friggin' bladder prolapse. Google it. It ain't pretty.

And, yeah. "Because we don't want to" seems like a valid enough reason for me. For myself, I find that my body (plus 3-5 lb. weights on occasion) provides just the right amount of resistance necessary to building and toning muscle.

I am a mom and was told as a young woman..."don't lift that you will damage your girl parts etc"...

And I was like really??? psh

My squat PR is 180lbs..I weigh 159....trust me my bladder is not going anywhere...

and you aren't building muscle using 3-5lb weights...sorry...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I am a mom and was told as a young woman..."don't lift that you will damage your girl parts etc"...

And I was like really??? psh

My squat PR is 180lbs..I weigh 159....trust me my bladder is not going anywhere...

and you aren't building muscle using 3-5lb weights...sorry...notsorry

(edited that for you :p)

people do realize the uterus can exert upwards of 100 pds of pressure PER SQUARE INCH- without every really being exercised right?

it's not like a delicate frail thing- yeah we have nerve endings- but oh wait- hold on- let me get my fanny pack so it doesn't effing pop out from exertion.

God forbid- how did women ever bear children back in the day- vag's popping out all over the place with all that "heavy lifting"

<swoog>
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

By all means, if you don't want to, then don't. I'm not concerned about the women who don't WANT to lift heavy. I am more concerned about all the women who DO WANT to lift heavy, but are afraid of becoming manly, or just simply think they can't because they're weak.

Those are the women that I want to help. Because we are OFTEN way stronger than we think!
  • Julieanne611
    Options
    Don't be sorry. I'm not. My arms look amazing.
  • RayBoy76
    RayBoy76 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

To the name caller holy crap seriously????

[/quote]
  • RayBoy76
    RayBoy76 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    OK I'm sorry but if you're on a weight loss journey the best thing you can do is lift weights... so...

Oh, and this was for the lady who said that people don't want to or need to.

Apparently my original post did not contain this quote I intended it to. This is what I was replying to and all the muscle heads jumped all over me.........

whoooohoooo I HAVE REACHED MUSCLE HEAD STATUS!!!!!!

FU*K YES!!!! NSV FOR ME!!!!

Congrats on that...

To the name caller holy crap seriously????

edited to remove my 2nd strike.

Lol, why are people so sensitive. Ever heard of a person really into cars called a gearhead?
    A foreman's dream: a weak mind and strong back :)
  • silverraiyne
    silverraiyne Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m9s4x2Y0HL1ro2d43.gif