Why do so many women lift such light weights?

Options
191011121315»

Replies

• FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    toning requires lighter weights but more reps while focusing on your form and range of motion. that is my reason when I lift light. I do keep adding weight as time and my strength is built up. I do both methods on alternating days. toning light with more reps one day and the next day I aim for more weight per set than my previous week's weight. So far, so good.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    toning requires lighter weights but more reps while focusing on your form and range of motion. that is my reason when I lift light. I do keep adding weight as time and my strength is built up.

I can't believe I'm responding to zombie thread, but stop it! There is no such thing as toning. If you lift light you are lifting for endurance. The amount of work anyone, male or female, has to pit in to develop muscle doesn't happen accidentally.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    toning requires lighter weights but more reps while focusing on your form and range of motion. that is my reason when I lift light. I do keep adding weight as time and my strength is built up.

I can't believe I'm responding to zombie thread, but stop it! There is no such thing as toning. If you lift light you are lifting for endurance. The amount of work anyone, male or female, has to pit in to develop muscle doesn't happen accidentally.

no such thing my *kitten*... sorry but I am getting more toned and consult with the gym's trainer often. but whatever
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options

no such thing my *kitten*... sorry but I am getting more toned and consult with the gym's trainer often. but whatever

By "tone" you mean revealing the muscle that has been hidden underneath a bunch of fat?
    whatever yourself.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    For me it was because I was intimidated. I had no idea what to do and usually the "big guys" hog all of the equipment. It wasn't until I started reading the threads on MFP and seeing the great results a lot of women were getting from weight lifting that I researched it more and decided to try it out.

I'm so glad I did because I'm LOVING it. I'm still relatively new at it so my weight might seem like a "light" weight to some of you but I'm seeing great results.

Now I have no problem asking one of the "big guys" if they're finished with the equipment and they don't look at me funny like I thought they would.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I wasn't discussing what was required for heavy or progressive resistance training. I was discussing what is required for weight loss and being "toned" for women.

I suppose "toned" is subjective, so how about I just leave it at one does not need to always keep increasing resistance to be fit and healthy.

you can keep it at whatever you like.

But that doesn't mean you are right ;)

No, of course not. But I still am.

sigh.
    you do realize toning isn't a real thing right?

Hey Jo. Always good to see your posts.

Light weights don't do much. I just started to seriously lift "heavier" weights and after a week I already feel stronger and can see some definition in my already defined arm. Granted, I'm not lifting huge barbells since the max at Planet is 50 adn 60. I'm going to use those until I'm strong enough to handle the big dumbbells and press them safely.

Yeah, baby dumbbells are for babies; Michelle looks adorbs with them. I have 3's and 6's that I will probably use for wrist training, if that is even a thing. Then I will have to let them go.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    I've always wondered what toning is...can someone explain? noob question I know ;-)