Options

Replies

• smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
  • elghee123
    elghee123 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I'd like to follow your story... Don't give up on yourself and good luck!
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the forum! Everyone else has offered great advice, so I don't really have anything else to add, other than this: take it slow, and be consistent. Weight loss isn't linear and life isn't like the Biggest Loser. Don't be discouraged if you're not dropping 10 lbs a week, so long as you're eating healthier, eating at a deficit, and are committed to seeing this through to the end :)
  • kazzyv
    kazzyv Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Keep logging in every day at least - or 3 or 4 times a day. Each time as well as logging your food and activity read some of the inspiring stories on here - they will help.

With excercise don't worry about going out at the moment if your agrophobia is bad. Do you have stairs in your house. Walk up and down the stairs, or round the living room walking on the spot while you watch TV... it all counts.

My tip for you is don't think of the total amount you want to lose - its too big a number at the moment. Make yourself smaller goals - lose 10 pounds ? lose 5% of your body weight ? When you hit those goals treat yourself - not to a food treat but do something nice for yourself and your wife.

And just stick with it.
  • osothefinn
    osothefinn Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    you got this man..!

Here is what I would suggest…

Create a 500 per day calorie deficit …either through MFP or using TDEE method. Since you are new MFP Method might be easier to understand. Just set MFP to one pound per week loss and start logging your food and make sure that you NET the number that MFP gives you…so if MFP gives you 2000 calories a day and you enter walking 1 mile and get a burn of 100 calories then you should eat 2100 calories less the 100 burned = 2000 net.

Get a food scale. Seriously, get one. Do not rely on eye balling, measuring cups etc, this is an easy way to overestimate calories and think you are eating less when you are really not.

Make sure you log/weigh/measure/everything that goes into your mouth.

Do NOT restrict any foods. Sugar, carbs, bread, etc, etc are not bad for you …overeating is what made you put on weight. I follow the 80/20 rule 80% healthy and 20% whatever you want = pizza, ice cream, cookies, cake etc. Now, if you have trigger foods that make you binge, you should not keep them in the house until you learn some moderation …

Work out/move more…at first this might be a walk around the block; then a two mile walk, three mile walk, etc; then maybe some slow jogging and then maybe some strength training. Eventually, you are going to want to do some heavy lifting. I would recommend picking up a copy of starting strength and or new rules of lifting ….and then build a program around compound movements = deadlifts, barbell squats, rows, overhead press, pull ups, chin ups, and bench press….

Remember, you did not get fat overnight and you are not going to get fit overnight. It is a marathon not a sprint…

good luck to you ….

Pretty much all of this. I used a 2 pounds a week deficit myself and didn't have any problems with binges or cravings, but your mileage may vary. I started at nearly 500 pounds, so I didn't even start working out until I had lost like 50 pounds after 4 months or so, and my exercise after that was recumbent biking in my basement until I lost another 25. Now I work out 6 days a week, 3 at organized classes (kettlebell stuff) and 3 at home on the bike. Just start and stick with it.
  • adopp062715
    adopp062715 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Look I'm gonna go against the general flow of this thread (and be a bit mean) and say that at 430lb the 'just diet/log food/etc' ship has long sailed. Yes, there are success stories out there but the odds of you winning at doing this on your own (without professional help) are close to zero. Even if you're blessed with staggering reserves of willpower the outlook is not particularly encouraging.

I don't agree with this statement at all. There are lots of success stories out there that show with small steps and determination, you can win the battle. I agree that you need to see a doctor to evaluate where you are, at least getting a baseline, but small steps can lead to bigger things. I read a person's blog who went from over 450+ pounds and lost 200 pounds through eating better and walking. He started with just walking. 15 minutes a day. It's fantastic and inspirational.

You can do this. Listen to everyone giving great advice and start small. Start logging your food. Think before you put something in your mouth. Start walking, even if it is just around the house or even your yard (if you have one). These little things will help and will lead to bigger things to come. Consistency is key and taking it slow and in stride will help you in the long run. Everyone is different so don't compare yourself to others. Just take it one day at a time. Good luck!
  • Jen1452014
    Jen1452014 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My recomendations are the same as many. Set small goals. Diet is is more important than exercise. Work on increasing your normal activity little things like not using the remote or making an extra trip up the stairs, start doing more around the house these make a big difference. Most important LOG EVERYTHING YOU EAT.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    you got this man..!

Create a 500 per day calorie deficit …either through MFP or using TDEE method. Since you are new MFP Method might be easier to understand. Just set MFP to one pound per week loss and start logging your food and make sure that you NET the number that MFP gives you…so if MFP gives you 2000 calories a day and you enter walking 1 mile and get a burn of 100 calories then you should eat 2100 calories less the 100 burned = 2000 net.

Get a food scale. Seriously, get one. Do not rely on eye balling, measuring cups etc, this is an easy way to overestimate calories and think you are eating less when you are really not.

Do NOT restrict any foods. Sugar, carbs, bread, etc, etc are not bad for you …overeating is what made you put on weight. I follow the 80/20 rule 80% healthy and 20% whatever you want = pizza, ice cream, cookies, cake etc. Now, if you have trigger foods that make you binge, you should not keep them in the house until you learn some moderation …

Work out/move more…at first this might be a walk around the block; then a two mile walk, three mile walk, etc; then maybe some slow jogging and then maybe some strength training. Eventually, you are going to want to do some heavy lifting. I would recommend picking up a copy of starting strength and or new rules of lifting ….and then build a program around compound movements = deadlifts, barbell squats, rows, overhead press, pull ups, chin ups, and bench press….

Remember, you did not get fat overnight and you are not going to get fit overnight. It is a marathon not a sprint…

good luck to you ….

^^^ I was going to leave some helpful comments, but clearly I don't need to now. :flowerforyou:
  • bcolpetzer
    bcolpetzer Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I remember that day I heart fell to my feet. It was when I seen a picture of myself with my aunt and sister. I jumped on the scales and confirmed something had to change. I also have issue with my knees, lower back and feet, no doubt the extra weight has a big part of that, but regardless I knew I had to get my body moving. I went to our local YMCA and got in the pool at first I was embarrassed to put on a suit and be there but after going I realized that there are people there of all weights and ages doing the same thing we are trying to do. just moving in the water regardless if you are a swimmer or just walking around in the water moves your joints and muscles and is very low impact on your body. it also gets you out and about very good for you also . most important thing is don't get discouraged your not alone in this. The other thing I have done is measure out what I eat no more guessing what a serving is I read the labels and go from there, a good set of scales are not that expensive so I recommend investing in one. also don't deny yourself food eat smaller portions and eat smarter. Use the food diary to see what your eating and how your totals look that helps so much and make menus for your dinners . This eliminates the whats for dinner and then making based on hunger craving or convenience. with a menu you will know in advance what is needed from the store so you can make a list then stick to the list. You will be surprised after doing this a while, how much of what you eat is actually needed as fuel. Just remember also you are making lifestyle changes for your future don't get discouraged it took a long time to get here and it will take a while to get to where you want to be. You can do it.
  • rhonda6373
    Options
    Helllo, there has been great advice offered on this thread so I don't really have much more to add. See a doctor first and get his recommendations. Also, looks like you have a lot of support already on MFP. Try to get some friends who not only will give you a woo hoo when you are doing good but will call you out (gently) if you need it. Log in every day! Don't give up whatever you do. You can friend me if you like, I would love to follow your journey.
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    you got this man..!

good luck to you ….

Absolutely agree with this. You'll be tempted to try to starve yourself. Don't!
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Not that I have a right to be surprised, as I've spent the last couple of months on the sofa, watching TV, reading, and scoffing like a pig. I tell myself I cannot exercise or do small basic things around the house because my legs and my back hurt all the time. I am allowing my very patient wife to wait on me hand and foot, and I know it's unfair.
    My two cents:

It took me 40 days of logging my foods on this site, reading up, following links people posted, starting to realize who knew what they were talking about and who didn't, before I finally started to figure out a system for myself of what to do and to get some type of structure that I can keep to to lose the weight. Not to say I'm an expert now but it took me that long to get out of the bafflement phase. Probably because I was trying to figure it out on my own rather than posting like you did hehe. I had to set my calorie goals in the end assuming I wouldn't work out because I'm not dependable in that respect (yet). I had to change it from losing two pounds a week to one because it was too restrictive and I couldn't keep in that quota. I had to create a cheat meal to drink (lol) on the weekend because that is my downfall and I was randomly sabotaging myself (but I still want to get my fun in).

So my advice to you is to be really really patient and if you are overwhelmed by what you need to do don't be surprised. If you are not at a point you can exercise, eating healthy alone will start to drop the weight off and you will start feeling alot better. The simpler you keep things the less overwhelming it will be.

And if your wife is patient and helpful use that! I can guarantee she will support you through this.
  • Ohmydaze
    Ohmydaze Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Good for you for getting it started. Everyone has to start somewhere. I'd second whoever suggested getting your wife to walk with you :) Good luck!
  • kimfoto
    kimfoto Posts: 6
    Options
    This is so important that you have made this gigantic step. Stick with it!!! If you can, go on http://ddpyoga.com/ or Google DDP Yoga. It is soooo easy and for MEN! And it shows people similar to you that were incapacitated. In only 20 minutes your heart rate is up and you are sweating. It's all about resistance and can easily be done on your living room floor. Good luck!!
  • Operationweddings
    Operationweddings Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi!!
    First step is to admit you're not happy, overweight and need to do something about it. Second step is to actually do something about it :). I need to lose 70-80lb ( my goal ) I'm weighing in at 231 as of a few days ago. I'm eating 2000cals a day ( 1500 for me, 500 breastfeeding ) I've stopped trying to " get thin for this amount of time " and just get healthy forever instead. I've spent 9 years up and down with my weight, ranging from 180-265lbs, and I'm only 27, I dont want to be doing this until I'm 50! I'm tired of it now. I've bought a pair of jeans that are 4 sizes smaller than me, just for inspiration and to spur me on during the hard times. And if I overindulge one day, just forget about if and carry on as normal... As if it never happened. I've started to stop eating once I feel satisfied, not full. And I'm drinking tons of water, which in think is helping massively. Good luck with your journey :)
  • dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!

Just thing how amazing it will feel to be waiting on your wife and not the other way around.
  • TFaustino67
    TFaustino67 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Great first step! That took a lot of courage.

Now on to your next step. Plenty of good advise and support here; ask often, visit often - the folks are great here and I've come across plenty of knowledgeable people here as well.

I personally commend you for taking that first step and look forward to hearing of your future winning goals that you meet along the way.
  • MrsHuffmanNC
    MrsHuffmanNC Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I am just about in the same spot as you. I haven't actually weighed since January cause I just couldn't look at it again, 400 poounds. WTF?!!? I remember being younger and saying if I ever hit 200 to shoot me, hard to believe I used to be that thin, a dancer, a cheerleader, a swimmer.... *sigh* I have two big HUGE addictions, SODA and FAST FOOD. I quit the soda on January 30th of this year after becoming ill. On February 2 I found my mother (who is also very overweight) next to dead at only 62 years old. The next week all I could think while she was laying there in ICU having a machine breathe for her that this was going to be ME. My mom has pulled through (thank the lord). But even know cause of her weight, she can't walk after spending the last month in the bed. I just joined here a couple of days ago and already feel a tremendous amount of support, still soda free, and have been 9 days of eating healthy. I ordered a new scale (was using the one at work) and when it gets here today I am going to step on it. I feel fear. What if the number hasn't changed? Well its not about the number anymore, I need to be healthy, for my husband, my children, MYSELF! I sent you a friend request and you are more then welcome to check out my food diary. I am trying very hard to keep half of my diet raw. As for the exercise, wow. I started back 3 days ago and it is kicking my butt. But I have been doing things like stretching or simple stuff even sitting in the chair moving my arms. I told myself that every time I walk to the fridge I owe 10 counter push ups. You can do this, we can change, and you will find your way. Log in everyday, comment, and log your food and exercise, and REMEMBER you don't have to be perfect, you have to learn a new way to live and that is not easy.
  • kimkay1985
    kimkay1985 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on taking the first step!! Welcome to MFP!
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Here's something important to bear in mind- we ALL start somewhere.

Take this reading on the scale for what it is: your starting point. Now, just keep doing your best to make the changes you need to, understanding that the journey will be long and that you may trip along the way, but the key is to get back up and keep pressing. Some days are going to be hard, and when you feel like it's too much, bring that thought of your wife becoming a widow back to your mind and let that remind you why you DON'T want to give up.

Just under five years ago, I had my own run in with the inevitable in the form of "the tumor may kill him by the end of the week". I also had the option of just accepting it. But, as I was staring the Grim Reaper in the face, I decided I wasn't done, yet. So I dug deep and, after months of painful treatments and weakness, managed to beat back "the inevitable". Now, whenever it seems too tough or I wonder why I bother, I just remember that I've got more to do yet before I'm ready to call it quits.

One of my mentors told me "Don't tell yourself I can do this, because right this moment, you might not be able to do it, and "can" easily transofrms into "can't" in your mind. Keep telling yourself "I *WILL* do this." You might not be able to do something right now, but you will if you just keep trying."

Keep trying, get your family involved, and remember that, as long as you don't give up, you WILL be able to reach your goals.