first weigh – in; shock & horror

Options

Replies

• tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I actually used to be quite the wrestling fan, and, for those of you who know the old WWF, seeing Jake the Snake regain his health and conditioning was inspiring.

Of course the non-wrestling fans think I've gone bonkers now. Hey, it's excellent drama! Or that's how I remember it :)

WWF is the closest thing to a Medieval morality play I have ever seen.
  • Lizabelle1212
    Lizabelle1212 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I love this entire thread and its honesty, support, and advice! I have about 100lbs to lose myself, but it can be done, and we've done the most important first step of recognizing the problem, being honest with ourselves, and deciding to make healthier choices. I look forward to keeping up with your progress! You can do this! Especially once you start seeing the rewards of your hard work, you will become even more motivated. Best of luck to you - feel free to add me if you like. More friends are always welcome!
  • Jsphine
    Jsphine Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Also, take a look at this post:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/948098-for-the-newbies-here-is-what-losing-85-pounds-is-like

It gives you an idea of what to expect in the next few weeks/months and that you're NOT alone when you find yourself getting stressed over it.
  • mrsfyredude
    mrsfyredude Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    in for following thread
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    The fact that you are here, that you are being honest with yourself and that you are ready to make a change is the first big step. Take it one day at a time and stick with it! You can do this. Move...any way you can move...start moving. If that means putting a chair in front of the couch and using it to help you get up off the couch, sit back down, get back up; lifting cans of food over your head or stepping up and down one stair a few times - just making the effort to move will help you start feeling better. You can do this!!!
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    You've already gotten great advise, but I'll add my 2 cents. I started not quite 9 months ago at 295. Quite a shocking number as well. But, now I'm down 95+ pounds and below 200 for the first time in many years. To get here, I've weighed everything I've eaten. I've logged everything I've eaten. I've done very little exercise other than walking until recently when I began to take some classes.

Here's what I haven't done:

Quit. Not when I have a bad day and overeaten. Not when I've had a couple weeks with no weight loss. I've stopped expecting perfection from myself and learned to forgive myself and get right back to it when I screw up.

Here's what I have done:

Figured out what is sustainable for me. Not what others do and are successful doing, but what I can do long term and leads to success for me. It takes some time and trial and error to figure it out, but IMO doing so will increase my chance of successful long term maintenance.

Best of luck and looking forward to following your journey.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    There are so many stories here...maybe not all just alike...but the results have been the same...we have denied ourselves of the life that we deserve. For some...they gave up...others...they hid from pain...while some just thought they were not worthy. Maybe it was just guilt...not being good enough...maybe a little of all of those things.

Once we get to that point...fear IMO keeps us there...fear of failure...fear of change. There is a certain amount of comfort hiding behind those walls that we put up.

I don't know...I read your story...while I don't know the specifics of why for you...I do know that the only way that you can succeed is to face those fears and learning to believe that you are worth every second it takes to get your life back. It isn't always easy...those fears will keep trying to drag you back behind those walls. Just keep taking one brick at a time down until you have a hole large enough to step through...then take that step...don't be afraid to let others hold your hand as you step on to a path that will take you to a new life.

There are a couple things that I will share...

How you choose to live your life affects those around you...while the journey is yours to take and only you can do that...the choices that you make will also affect those that you care about. My husband faced some medical issues...instead of facing the fear...he chose the easy way out. His choices set in motion the path that I chose afterwards...one of guilt, shame, worthlessness and most of all fear. It has taken me many years to overcome that...to step through that hole in the wall and start living again.

Don't worry about what you can't do now...just focus on what you can do...as far as exercise goes...it is one step at a time. Seven months ago...I could barely get out of a chair...now I am walking a 4.0 mph and this week started the C25K program (might take me a while...but I am doing it). All of this started with just a short walk and arriving back home...exhausted.

This whole journey...is one step at a time...not just for the weight loss...nor the physical aspect...but maybe most importantly...learning to live again.

I wish you so much luck...success...and a future that has your fears under control.
  • bhdon
    bhdon Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting - you're already an inspiration by sharing your story. Here are a few things I tell myself to help keep me on
    track:

- Be willing to change, and to change the image you have of yourself
    - Be willing to be responsible, accountable, healthy, confident, and strong.
    - Step outside your comfort zone and challenge yourself every single day. Even small victories build confidence, which encourages you to challenge yourself to try things you never thought possible.
    - Make reasonable changes you can live with the rest of your life
    - The primary purpose of food is to provide fuel for the cells in my body. Focus on choosing good quality fuel - a wide variety of high nutrient, whole, unprocessed foods.
    - Find ways other than food to deal with feelings. For some of us, when our emotional needs are met, we're less likely to be (what we perceive to be) 'hungry'.
    - Drink more water
    - Treat yourself no less than you would treat a child who is in your care
    - Make it less about the numbers on a scale, and more about feeling stronger, having energy, learning to love the person you are and the vehicle ( body) you've been given to move about on this earth.
    - Enlist the help of those who can help you problem solve, and who can be honest, creative and supportive
    - Mix up the exercise and do some every day - incorporate a variety of activities to challenge different parts of your body, minimize injury, boredom and reluctance.
    - For the days you fall short of your goals, forget it . Remind yourself why you're doing this and start with a renewed focus tomorrow. 'Think' about it less, 'do' about it more.

I keep a list of the above, a list of goals I've set, and a list of reasons 'why' I want to do this for myself. There are close to 100 reasons on my list. When I'm starting to stumble, I re-read ( at least some, or all of) the reasons. I carry a copy in my purse and keep one at the bedside to read in the morning and at night if I think I need it. I know it sounds silly, but sometimes, in the chaos of life, I get derailed, zone out and 'forget' why taking good care of me is such a priority.

Best wishes to you. Will look forward to hearing about your experiences. It's all a grand experiment, and different things work for different people. Hang in there and you'll eventually figure out what works best for you.
  • fat2skinny50
    fat2skinny50 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I am glad to see that you came back on-line and read all our messages. I know you have this, it will be a long haul but everyone on MFP is in it together. Lean on us and we will lean on you and together we will all have success stories. Keep posting, I want to track your success.
  • slimbettie
    slimbettie Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I am so proud of you for taking the first step.
    You are at the best place you can be for your weight loss and get healthy journey.
    Just follow the steps. small steps get you there too.
    MFP is a tool that will bring you great power and results.
    Just start by logging all your food and drink. You will be surprised how much you eat.
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to lend some support and wish you the best on the journey ahead of you. Some days will be easier than others, but stick with it and you can achieve your goals!
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    We're all fighting the same battle; it's just a matter of degree. You have as much chance to change your life as anybody. Best wishes.
  • hopeless_rhomantic
    hopeless_rhomantic Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    YOU CAN DO IT!!!! My weigh in was 401.6 on Tuesday and I wanted to cry!! I'm 21 it's not fair was where my mind was! After talking with my doctor and changing my diet and food plan it is Friday and I have lost 4 lbs already! All that did was boost my motivation more!! Let's take this journey together!!!
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the whole thread so my apologies if this has already been mentioned but you may want to join a group for those in a similar place:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4094-the-big-men

It's dedicated specifically to guys who are 400 pounds and over. (It also says 6 feet and up AKA "big and tall" but I'm not sure whether that applies to you or not.

There are also groups for those with 200 pounds and more to lose. I would join one of those.

I would also set mini-ACHIEVABLE goals to keep yourself pushing toward wins..the initial number is too much to wrap your head around and you will fail if you keep thinking "I need to lose 3** pounds". Whoever mentioned a goal of 1 pound a week is on the right track. I have my goal set to 1-1.5 pounds a week. I'm doing regular exercise but only approximately 30 min a day and combining it with minimal strength training 3 days a week. (Basically around 6-7 exercises done for 1 set of 10 with as much weight as I can handle...raise the weight when it gets easy.)

I am losing slowly..BUT...I am losing consistently and I don't feel like I'm starving. I still eat the occasional candy bar, ice cream, pizza etc. I just work on not overindulging. Ice cream is a trigger for me...so I try NOT to have it in the house and instead go out a single scoop cone when I have a craving.

I've been here since October and for the first time, I think I may actually be able to achieve my end weight (sometime in 2015 if the pace holds).

Welcome and good luck.
  • bobbiejof33
    Options
    you got this man..!

Here is what I would suggest…

Create a 500 per day calorie deficit …either through MFP or using TDEE method. Since you are new MFP Method might be easier to understand. Just set MFP to one pound per week loss and start logging your food and make sure that you NET the number that MFP gives you…so if MFP gives you 2000 calories a day and you enter walking 1 mile and get a burn of 100 calories then you should eat 2100 calories less the 100 burned = 2000 net.

Get a food scale. Seriously, get one. Do not rely on eye balling, measuring cups etc, this is an easy way to overestimate calories and think you are eating less when you are really not.

Make sure you log/weigh/measure/everything that goes into your mouth.

Do NOT restrict any foods. Sugar, carbs, bread, etc, etc are not bad for you …overeating is what made you put on weight. I follow the 80/20 rule 80% healthy and 20% whatever you want = pizza, ice cream, cookies, cake etc. Now, if you have trigger foods that make you binge, you should not keep them in the house until you learn some moderation …

Work out/move more…at first this might be a walk around the block; then a two mile walk, three mile walk, etc; then maybe some slow jogging and then maybe some strength training. Eventually, you are going to want to do some heavy lifting. I would recommend picking up a copy of starting strength and or new rules of lifting ….and then build a program around compound movements = deadlifts, barbell squats, rows, overhead press, pull ups, chin ups, and bench press….

Remember, you did not get fat overnight and you are not going to get fit overnight. It is a marathon not a sprint…

good luck to you ….

This is one awesomely helpful post, for me too!!!

You made a first step, it was hard, step 2-1 billion will be harder and even harder, but you are determined!!! Don't give up when you have a set back :) We all do!!!!
  • kris727ta
    kris727ta Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It's never too late to start! (Ever watch The Biggest Loser? -- people of all ages and sizes.) You have got a lot of great advice. If your wife will support you, you will do fine. My brother had Agoraphobia in his late teens -- 20s. I remember him asking me to go to the store for him that was less than a block away and I couldn't understand why. It took him many medications and therapy but he is fine now. Without meds or therapy. Stay focused on what you want and go for it!:smile:
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    In for the updates, and hoping someday in the not too distant future for progress photos - I have high hopes of great things to come =)
  • Vini9
    Vini9 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Hi and congrats to you for starting this long road to a healthier you. I just wanted to give you this:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1103164-3-yrs-312lbs-lost-1yr-from-bodylift-and-maintenance
    I think you'll find you can relate to his story, by this I mean the long road ahead and the wife part. I saw that there were others who posted stories too. Success stories are the best to read when your feeling down on yourself :) you are on the right path and I wish you the best.
  • kenyainez
    kenyainez Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    This my good man is what you call that "A HA" moment. The moment that came in all of our lives and what brought us here today. You've taken the first step. Just remember to grab hold of your a ha moment and take it with you on every walk, every workout, and use it as a shield against anything that tries to take you off your path. Every step you take brings you closer to your goals, and the more you hold on to your why, the sooner you will get there. I'm rooting for you and am very proud of you. Lets go! \o/
  • kiwitechgirl
    kiwitechgirl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    This thread reminds me why MFP is so awesome. I'd wish you luck but I'm not sure you need it, with a personal cheer squad of MFP friends supporting you. You can do this - this journey is the start of the rest of your (lighter) life.