Are you guys for or against childhood vaccines?

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    When I had my kids I did HOURS and HOURS of research on vaccines. I am definitely pro for some of them (not all) but I also ordered them spaced out. I said no way to chicken pox vax, and HELL no on the Gardisil vax for my daughter. The US has the highest number of autoimmune diseases in the WORLD. That's not an opinion, it's a fact. We also do the most vaccinations, which many believe lead to auto-immune diseases. AND, when the CDC reported that "they can not conclusively claim that vaccines cause autism" was the same thing as saying that can't conclusively claim they DON'T. For me it's not just the autism issue (which I have three friends with autistic kids who ALL claim it happened after a vaccine), it's all of the other illnesses as well. I will tell you that my kids (12 & 8) rarely get sick, are very healthy, have no allergies and thankfully, no autoimmune diseases or intestinal issues (which we all know is the HEART of the immune system). There is no conclusive evidence for either side of the argument (as far as autoimmune / autism goes) so, I take the perspective that my health is my responsibility and I will decide for myself based on my own research.

Same here. After a lot of study, we went with vaccination against polio, mumps, measles, and rubella. From my research, those are clearly safe and effective. We also altered the scheduling for it. I can't remember the dates exactly, but we waited longer than they were calling for in the late 90s, to match what had been done before. Too many at once can be detrimental as well.
  • cindyj7
    cindyj7 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Against. Why? Because they are bullcrap! They almost never do anything.
    And this is why me, (and my 23 year old brother) are terrified of the Doctor because EVERY SINGLE TIME WE GO, they give us a shot for no reason whatsoever. I don't care if I sound or act childish, I'm terrified of thin sharp needles that stick into my skin for no reason. It's stupid. They either love seeing me cry in pain, or give me a shot for what they say will help, but will really make me sick.

This is seriously the most stupid answer ever. I'm glad you don't care if you sound childish, BECAUSE YOU DO!! Grow up, then come back and give a reasonable answer.

For vaccines, BTW. IMO, epidemics totally suck!!!!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I am for childhood vaccines because the disease is often more of a risk to life than the vaccine is. I play the numbers game, if the risks are higher from the disease than the prevention, I go with prevention.

For example, my daughter and myself don't get flu shots, why we are often exposed to flu in others, but have not had it to date. My brother gets the flu every year, he should get a flu shot. My mom is over 80 she needs a flu shot.

This is basically how I feel too, though I don't have kids. I don't know if I have ever had the flu shot (I'm 30). Maybe as a kid and I just don't remember, but I don't get sick very often and I feel it's good to expose my immune system to things to build natural immunities. If I worked in a hospital I would do it for the sake of the patients (pretty sure it's required in that situation anyway). For sure I think the major ones you do as a kid though...polio and things like that...are important.

This doesn't make sense. By getting a vaccine you are exposing your immune system to "things" (an attenuated virus) to build natural immunity. I'm not saying the flu shot is extremely effective but it can provide some preventative measures. For the average over 10 year old and under 70 year old person who isn't around those age groups or people with immunodeficiencies or pregnant women getting a flu vaccine doesn't make a huge difference. So you're laid up in bed for a week, not a huge deal you won't die or anything. Also, the vaccine is predictive of the most common strain for the season, there will always be other flu viruses around you could contract or the virus you were vaccinated against could mutate enough to render your vaccine kind of useless. But there are not really any negative effects of the flu shot and getting a vaccine certainly isn't cheating the system or technically "unnatural". It's simply choosing what you expose your immune system to, when, and how much in an effort to increase its efficacy against fighting later infections.

WTF? Who the hell wants to be "laid up for a week" on purpose? For those of us who are the primary "bread-winners," a week off work is just shy of "end of the world" type of crap. No flu shot for me, thanks. :flowerforyou:

You misunderstood. They were saying that if you don't get the shot, and end up getting the flu, it's a week out. Not that big of a deal.... I think ;)

When it comes to the flu shot, it's the people who get the shot that wind up sick. Every. Time.

The flu shot is like gambling. It is not the same as the Polio vaccine, et al.

Hmm. I had the flu shot this year because I am pregnant. I have not been sick yet,. I've never gotten sick any year that I have gotten the shot. I don't consistently get it.
    My father was a teacher and got his shot every year because the whole kids are germy thing. He never got sick.
    I'm not quite convinced that those who get the shot wind up sick every time.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    When I had my kids I did HOURS and HOURS of research on vaccines. I am definitely pro for some of them (not all) but I also ordered them spaced out. I said no way to chicken pox vax, and HELL no on the Gardisil vax for my daughter. The US has the highest number of autoimmune diseases in the WORLD. That's not an opinion, it's a fact. We also do the most vaccinations, which many believe lead to auto-immune diseases. AND, when the CDC reported that "they can not conclusively claim that vaccines cause autism" was the same thing as saying that can't conclusively claim they DON'T. For me it's not just the autism issue (which I have three friends with autistic kids who ALL claim it happened after a vaccine), it's all of the other illnesses as well. I will tell you that my kids (12 & 8) rarely get sick, are very healthy, have no allergies and thankfully, no autoimmune diseases or intestinal issues (which we all know is the HEART of the immune system). There is no conclusive evidence for either side of the argument (as far as autoimmune / autism goes) so, I take the perspective that my health is my responsibility and I will decide for myself based on my own research.

My daughter got the chicken pox prior to me having to make the decision on the vaccine. I also said no to Gardisil, girls have extreme reactions and the prevention is so small.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options

I am for this! QFT!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I am for childhood vaccines because the disease is often more of a risk to life than the vaccine is. I play the numbers game, if the risks are higher from the disease than the prevention, I go with prevention.

For example, my daughter and myself don't get flu shots, why we are often exposed to flu in others, but have not had it to date. My brother gets the flu every year, he should get a flu shot. My mom is over 80 she needs a flu shot.

This is basically how I feel too, though I don't have kids. I don't know if I have ever had the flu shot (I'm 30). Maybe as a kid and I just don't remember, but I don't get sick very often and I feel it's good to expose my immune system to things to build natural immunities. If I worked in a hospital I would do it for the sake of the patients (pretty sure it's required in that situation anyway). For sure I think the major ones you do as a kid though...polio and things like that...are important.

This doesn't make sense. By getting a vaccine you are exposing your immune system to "things" (an attenuated virus) to build natural immunity. I'm not saying the flu shot is extremely effective but it can provide some preventative measures. For the average over 10 year old and under 70 year old person who isn't around those age groups or people with immunodeficiencies or pregnant women getting a flu vaccine doesn't make a huge difference. So you're laid up in bed for a week, not a huge deal you won't die or anything. Also, the vaccine is predictive of the most common strain for the season, there will always be other flu viruses around you could contract or the virus you were vaccinated against could mutate enough to render your vaccine kind of useless. But there are not really any negative effects of the flu shot and getting a vaccine certainly isn't cheating the system or technically "unnatural". It's simply choosing what you expose your immune system to, when, and how much in an effort to increase its efficacy against fighting later infections.

WTF? Who the hell wants to be "laid up for a week" on purpose? For those of us who are the primary "bread-winners," a week off work is just shy of "end of the world" type of crap. No flu shot for me, thanks. :flowerforyou:

Either you're misinterpreting what I said or I just wasn't that clear. I meant it like this: "So if you don't get the flu shot, end up with the flu, and you're laid up in bed for a week which it or may not be a big deal to you." People don't get sick from the flu shot, they get sick from the flu itself (they may feel a few flu like symptoms for a few days after the shot but they don't get a full-fledged flu). So if you're choosing to NOT get the vaccine you ARE choosing to be laid up in bed for a week on purpose. Of course the vaccine efficacy is not 100% so you could still get the flu if you have the shot, but it is extra insurance against not getting the flu you didn't have before getting the shot.

edit: grammar

No, not misunderstanding, just re-interpreting. Like I said, it's people who get the shot who are more likely to get sick. Proper hygiene (which means not extreme in either direction) is the best way to prevent the flu. :smokin:

I've never had to call into work due to illness, with the exception of a sinus infection about 6 years ago. I now take preventative measures for that too. :smile:
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I'm all for a vaccine for stupid because it can't be fixed or cured.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options

No, not misunderstanding, just re-interpreting. Like I said, it's people who get the shot who are more likely to get sick.

:huh:
    How?
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

You misunderstood. They were saying that if you don't get the shot, and end up getting the flu, it's a week out. Not that big of a deal.... I think ;)

When it comes to the flu shot, it's the people who get the shot that wind up sick. Every. Time.

Hmm. I had the flu shot this year because I am pregnant. I have not been sick yet,. I've never gotten sick any year that I have gotten the shot. I don't consistently get it.
    My father was a teacher and got his shot every year because the whole kids are germy thing. He never got sick.

Oh, that's scary. Best of luck to your baby! I can't believe they do that now.
  • jazzcatastrophe
    jazzcatastrophe Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Same here. After a lot of study, we went with vaccination against polio, mumps, measles, and rubella. From my research, those are clearly safe and effective. We also altered the scheduling for it. I can't remember the dates exactly, but we waited longer than they were calling for in the late 90s, to match what had been done before. Too many at once can be detrimental as well.

This has been repeatedly debunked. If you need proof, I'll pull up citations when I get home.
    I also said no to Gardisil, girls have extreme reactions and the prevention is so small.

What reactions? If "extreme" reactions were common, the drug would never have been licensed. Also, gardasil is not the only cervical cancer vaccine out there, fyi

Links: http://www.iom.edu/Reports/2002/Immunization-Safety-Review-Multiple-Immunizations-and-Immune-Dysfunction.aspx
    http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/109/1/124.short
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    In for the crazies. :)

(For vaccines since I'm allergic to the whooping cough one. I swear if I get it due to the idiots, I'm going after blood.)
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    it's a big issue where i live.

Netherlands in biblebelt (that's what it's called) And the people of the very strict churches don't vaccinate their children.
    Last year we had an epidemic amongst the schools of those children and whole classes of 30 -40 children got sick.

They don't vaccinate because of (fear of) God and that it is against nature

A lot of them are hypocrites in my opinion since they do as they please all week, except for Sundays, then they pretend to be Christians...
    Hypocrisy and religion go hand in hand - didn't you know this?
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

No, not misunderstanding, just re-interpreting. Like I said, it's people who get the shot who are more likely to get sick. Proper hygiene (which means not extreme in either direction) is the best way to prevent the flu. :smokin:

:huh:
    How?

Hand-washing with soap and water kills germs. :flowerforyou:
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Can't believe they do what now? GIve the recommended vaccine to a pregnant woman?
    I spoke to my doctor who recommended it. I know not all doctors are great and many don't trust theirs, however, I trust my doctor for many good reasons. I have been with her for years and I know she keeps up to date, particularly with pregnancy/labour and delivery. She isn't a drug pusher and has never pushed anything on me. I am not scared at all. But thanks.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Can't believe they do what now? GIve the recommended vaccine to a pregnant woman?
    I spoke to my doctor who recommended it. I know not all doctors are great and many don't trust theirs, however, I trust my doctor for many good reasons. I have been with her for years and I know she keeps up to date, particularly with pregnancy/labour and delivery. She isn't a drug pusher and has never pushed anything on me. I am not scared at all. But thanks.

Yep.

<----Never gotten the flu EVER. Went 21 years without ever getting the shot, and the last 7 years I was forced to get the shot (military makes you do it). I'm thinking that getting the shot does not mean you're getting the flu.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Childhood vaccines - yes

flu vaccine - definitely not.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    In. To watch the over- priviledged, under-educated morons who think that Jenny McCarthy is someone who should be taken seriously.

Ever notice that the anti-vaxers are of the younger generations, who never had to watch their peers drop like flies, from horrible diseases that vaccines could have prevented?
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Omg I love this topic!! In to watch with AllonsY
  • Sovi_
    Sovi_ Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I vaccinated my kids...because I was and so was EVERYONE I grew up with.
  • dwalt15110
    dwalt15110 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Definitely for childhood vaccines. The flu shot, that's a different story. That's the drug companies' best guess as to which strain of the flu might be prevalent during the coming year. Their like the weather forecasters...sometimes they're right and sometimes they're wrong.

I am an oldster and I remember when the polio vaccine was not prevalent. I knew children who had polio and what their lives were like afterwards. I also remember when the vaccine became an oral vaccine. We went to the school up the street. You had to go with your parents and they signed you in. You went in a single file line and someone gave you a little paper cup with a sugar cube which they had put the pink vaccine on. You immediately popped it into your mouth and handed the cup to a worker who would make certain you had taken it. We had to do that once a month for three months.

I also remember one time when only 8 of us out of the entire school showed up for class one day. The rest of the children had measles. I had the chicken pox and have the scars to prove it. I don't know how many people have ever had the mumps, but I can tell you that they are painful.

When people speak out against vaccines, they need to really educate themselves beyond what they want to read and find people who actually had the diseases. I can tell you that some of them, you never forget.