Are you guys for or against childhood vaccines?

Options

Replies

• Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options

I don't trust the flu vaccine. Our family is vaccinated against polio, measles, mumps, rubella, etc. But the flu? Nope. Not happening. :flowerforyou:

One of these years we are going to get hit by a strain that has properties like the Spanish flu did, that'll be the year you regret not getting it (I didn't this year but have most years) in the 1918-1919 pandemic approximately 6% of the world population died from the Flu - this year world population will hit 7 billion, so even if the next pandemic only takes out 3 % that will be 210 million dead
    I'd rather ensure as much as possible i am one of the survivors thanks

Again....luck of the DNA draw. Lots of folks didn't die during those epidemics. It's not something that can be prevented and spending time worrying over it is time wasted. If I die of the flu, then whoever is left will have to bury me or burn my body. :ohwell:

And considering that the vaccine is chosen by guesses, I seriously doubt that such a serious illness can be protected by it.

And I'm not going to trust advice to the mothers of unborn children to you just because you have serious doubts.

They used to burn people alive to ask favor from the Gods for a good crop, now they don't. It makes me go hmmmmm...

Childhood vaccines and flu vaccines are entirely different creatures. Do some research before you trot out scare tactics and superstitions.
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options

I don't trust the flu vaccine. Our family is vaccinated against polio, measles, mumps, rubella, etc. But the flu? Nope. Not happening. :flowerforyou:

One of these years we are going to get hit by a strain that has properties like the Spanish flu did, that'll be the year you regret not getting it (I didn't this year but have most years) in the 1918-1919 pandemic approximately 6% of the world population died from the Flu - this year world population will hit 7 billion, so even if the next pandemic only takes out 3 % that will be 210 million dead

You understand that's not how the flu vaccine works, right?

I don't think he does.

Clearly.

Vegas has better odds than the odds of a flu vaccine preventing death from a rare flu.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Again....luck of the DNA draw. Lots of folks didn't die during those epidemics. It's not something that can be prevented and spending time worrying over it is time wasted. If I die of the flu, then whoever is left will have to bury me or burn my body. :ohwell:

And considering that the vaccine is chosen by guesses, I seriously doubt that such a serious illness can be protected by it.

And I'm not going to trust advice to the mothers of unborn children to you just because you have serious doubts.

They used to burn people alive to ask favor from the Gods for a good crop, now they don't. It makes me go hmmmmm...

Childhood vaccines and flu vaccines are entirely different creatures. Do some research before you trot out scare tactics and superstitions.

:drinker: Two things that we agree on now. Yes, very different indeed.

Maybe we should keep a tally.... :laugh:

ETA: And yes, Vegas *does* have better odds than the flu vaccine preventing a rare form of the virus.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Against. I'm a pediatric nurse and epidemics and sick kids means job security for me.

I hope that your not serious because I find that statement from a medical professional very callous. You are implying that your job security is more important that the health and life of a child.

If you are joking I find your sense of humor completely out of place

So it is obvious that I am IN for child vaccination.
  • timberowl
    timberowl Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    they force me to get a flu shot every year in the army. every year i get sick. >:-O
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I don't really care if people get a flu vaccine. Knock yourself out. I've had the flu once in my life (For sure, anyway. Real sick another time but not sure it was "flu"). The real-live, actual flu - an infection of influenza - is really, really nasty. I kind of lost a week sort of in and out of a haze. You bet your life, I never missed a flu vaccine after that.

I hear people say they got "the flu" all the time. I really don't know, but I think a lot of them really just had a bad cold. If they're inclined to such things, they may decide that their flu vaccine gave them the flu. It's the worst kind of anecdotal evidence. They don't have any actual information. People get sick all the time. If you didn't go to a doctor and didn't get diagnosed with the flu, you're just making assumptions.

Flu sucks. If they can give me a shot that significantly reduces my chance of getting it, I'm first in line. Science is good.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    For.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I hear people say they got "the flu" all the time. I really don't know, but I think a lot of them really just had a bad cold.

^^ I have no doubt that this is true. Most people do not know the difference at all. I hear all the time how people had the 24 hour flu. I'm like, WHAT? :laugh:
  • brewji
    brewji Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    This isn't really an ultimatum topic (for / against). There are so many vaccines with so many variables; some have shown much promise while others have evidence to suggest they're either ineffective or potentially dangerous.

My opinion would take too long to write, and I'll save everyone the read (or scroll).
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    they force me to get a flu shot every year in the army. every year i get sick. >:-O

I volunteer to get it every year and I never get sick.

Clearly your belief is what makes the difference. lol
  • Icelandic_Saga
    Icelandic_Saga Posts: 2,926 Member
    Options
    I'm against them but had to get them for my kid in order for him to be in school.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Absolutely for. I grew up in a third world country and have seen the effects of vaccination first-hand.

And please keep your un-vaccinated brats away from me and mine.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Against. I'm a pediatric nurse and epidemics and sick kids means job security for me.

I hope that your not serious because I find that statement from a medical professional very callous. You are implying that your job security is more important that the health and life of a child.

If you are joking I find your sense of humor completely out of place

So it is obvious that I am IN for child vaccination.

I completely agree with you on your opinion, however, I do see her point of view coming from a "me and my own" perspective.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I am for childhood vaccines because the disease is often more of a risk to life than the vaccine is. I play the numbers game, if the risks are higher from the disease than the prevention, I go with prevention.

For example, my daughter and myself don't get flu shots, why we are often exposed to flu in others, but have not had it to date. My brother gets the flu every year, he should get a flu shot. My mom is over 80 she needs a flu shot.

THIS. And the value of herd immunity should not be ignored.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Absolutely for. I grew up in a third world country and have seen the effects of vaccination first-hand.

^^^YES^^^
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

AGREED! Thank you! You can come for a playdate any time!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

I volunteer to get it every year and I never get sick.

Clearly your belief is what makes the difference. lol

How about this one. I have had the flu shot every year for the last 15 years except one year. Guess what I got that year? The flu....

I'm actually serious that that is my experience, although it means nothing really in the argument other than I will continue to get flu shots.
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options

Like I said on page one...

I'm Pro-Choice on this issue. :smokin:

That makes your comment to the pregnant woman even more obnoxious.
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options

Did you even read what I wrote?
  • jennifer_a00
    jennifer_a00 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'm for childhood vaccinations. I also got flu shots when I was pregnant. People who don't vaccinate their kids are just lucky that most everybody does and the herd immunity is (so far) protecting their kids. But with the amount of children not getting vaccinated these days, who knows how long that will last.