15 min of exercise… thought I was going to die. Advice?

Options

Replies

• Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Regardless of wt and whether you are capable of something you have to choose things which you at least can face doing again. I hate cardio so chose wt machines, mini trampoline at home and lots of walking - I still lost the wt and improved my shape and didn'thave to turn blue or vomit to do it.

My approach after 30yrs of feast/famine eating is this......I don't care what the gold standard/best thing/rolls royce is because it's worth nothing if I hate it and put off doing it. Bad enough that this then still leaves a person overweight but far worse is the head messer it leaves with you and generally adds to all the other head messers which got us overweight anyway! No one needs more feelings of failure to add to the heap!
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Exercise should be fun! Like so many others before said, starting out too fast will burn you out. I was 120lbs overweight and was in your shoes. Take inventory of what will keep you active that you like. You don't necessarily have to kill yourself to be active. I will try, literally, anything! I think I have exercise ADD. My timeline went like this:

Walking and being sore
    Walking and being okay
    Walking and loving it, so I added GRADUALLY:
    Jogging Couch to 5k program
    Running
    Yoga
    Biking
    Dancing and Zumba. Didnt like Zumba
    Pilates
    Weights
    Did my first 5k
    More biking
    Loving my new active lifestyle and I added bike races
    More 5ks
    Swimming
    The more I did, the better I felt
    A triathlon, joined a tri club
    Hooked at this point
    More swim, bike, run....cant get enough
    More triathlons
    More bike races- "criteriums"
    A half marathon
    More weights
    Mountain biking added
    First and only mountain bike race where I realized I need more work on the mtb
    A hip injury sidelined my running, but I wanted to stay active
    Joined a beginners developmental rowing team
    Rowing races in novice category
    Loving being on the water and the team atmosphere
    Progressed from the beginners team to a competitive womens team
    Will be shooting for a spot at nationals with my team in August

This has been over the course of four years in the making.

You see, I am not tooting my horn here. I just want you to see where it can lead if you slow down and allow yourself to develop your interests. Get your mobility up and the rest will come. This is a process. :-) we are cheering for you!
  • JCLondonUK
    JCLondonUK Posts: 159
    Options
    You're not alone! When I first started, I did 10 minutes on a rowing machine and then had to lie down for half an hour to recover. Now I can do 45 minutes and recover really quickly. :smile: Just build up slowly, don't be in a rush, push yourself a little more each time, and your fitness will improve.

I second the idea of getting a fitbit and walking. When I got my fitbit one I was shocked at how little I moved during the day - no wonder I was so out of shape! It really motivates me to stay active, even if just moving around more.

You can do it! Lots of people here have been in the same situation and succeeded. Well done for getting started. :smile:
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Adaptive fitness (Google it) is a real thing. You will adapt and be able to do more. When I started out (347 lbs in 2012) I had an injury and couldn't work out at all. I lost 50 lbs with diet first and then started working out (Jan. 6, 2013). At first all I could do was 15 minutes of Wii Fit. But I bought a heart rate monitor and I used it like I was training for the MF Wii Fit Olympics (if there was such a thing). Twice a day, six days a week, I got my big butt up on that Wii Fit step and did step aerobics. Within two or three weeks, I could start walking. I walked a quarter mile at first. That's it. WIthin two more weeks I started adding wrist and ankle weights. A bit after that, I added a riser to the step. Because everything got easier. The key is to keep challenging yourself. Not to the point where you're puking during a workout. But one day, what you're doing now will have you hardly breaking a sweat, and then it's time to step it up. If you can't handle the workout you're doing now, start out by just walking. I swear, if you're consistent, your body will adapt and you will get better at it. By the end of last October, my workouts consisted of kettlebells three times a week, biking three times a week, kayaking three times a week, trail running three times a week, and a long walk three times a week. My Saturday brick workouts were a 20 mile bike ride, followed by a 6 mile kayaking trip, and a four mile trail run. I'm training for my first triathlon this summer. You can do this. I promise you, because I've done it. And if I can do it? Anyone can.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    keep at it, I'm not going to say it gets any easier either though.

But think of how your body will feel when it loses all that weight. friend me if you like.

I was over 330lbs when I started my journey and am now around 50lbs lighter.:drinker:
  • carolsteele45
    carolsteele45 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Well, first off - well done by joining MFP and posting this. Don't become too discouraged - and as others have said, start more slowly and ease your way back into exercise. When I started on my exercise bike at the beginning of February, I could only manage 5 or 6 mins before I was out of breath and having cramp in my legs. But I persevered, and gradually increased it over the last month so that I am doing 4 x 30mins workouts on the bike daily and have also increased the calorie burn at each session as I can now put more effort into it. It will change for you, so, please - do NOT get disheartened at your first attempt - it will get easier and you can increase it when you start finding it easier.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on starting your exercise program!!!

Rather than focus on high intensity at first, focus on duration. Start with something you can do for 10 or 15 minutes and then work your way up to 30 minutes. As others have mentioned walking is a great way to start. You should be able to hold a conversation while you are doing your walk. In other words, if you are totally out of breath you are pushing yourself too hard.

Once you have reached your time goal, then you can start pushing yourself in intensity. For example when I started walking I was walking at about 2.5 mph. I worked my way up to 45 minutes. Now I can do an hour at about 3.3 mph. At that pace I have times on the hills when I'm breathing hard, but for most of the walk I could talk to someone.

I also like Leslie Sansone Walk at Home DVDs as they are low impact and don't require much coordination. I also swim and do as much as I can in the water.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,234 Member
    Options
    I have not read all the responses, but here is my take:

First, you will improve. When I started I was almost throwing up because of the workout. I got through it though. The next time was not as bad. You will get better, but it takes time and keeping at it, so don't give up. Usually progress at first goes fairly quickly.

Second, walking is exercise. Get out and walk at as brisk a pace as you can which you can maintain for at least 15 minutes. Exercise, especially when you start out, does not need to be super intense. You just need to get your heart rate up and keep it there for those 15 minutes. That is the advantage of walking. Most people can do it, and it will help get you better able to do other programs, especially as you lose weight.

Third, I suspect you may have gotten too intense a program to start. I am not familiar with it, but my concerns would be the focus on specific body parts. You don't need that at this point, a good brisk walk (see my second point) would be better.

Fourth, just a word of caution. You need to lose weight, that will happen primarily from diet, not exercise. The exercise will make you healthier, but eating a moderate amount of calories less than you burn in a day will take the fat off.

You can do this. Just realize it takes time. As I said, when I started I was almost throwing up, but I went back to the workout the next time, and it was not as bad. By the next week I was doing it just fine.
  • baileysmom4
    baileysmom4 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Start of walking.Walk to the end of the driveway this week,walk half a block and back next week,walk 2 blocks in week 3...and so on...if you have access water aerobics are great for beginners.

This..... don't make yourself hate exercise right off the bat! I remember the first time I went for a bike ride. 20 minutes tops on flat surface. I hurt my hip and didn't get back on it for a year. Started off again slowly and now you can't get me off it and I'm up to 15 miles on hills!!!!

Find something you love and you won't realize you are exercising!
  • hellsbells3272
    hellsbells3272 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    try walking, gradually increasing your pace and distance. Also swimming is good exercise but also gentle on you.
  • ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on starting your exercise program!!!

Rather than focus on high intensity at first, focus on duration. Start with something you can do for 10 or 15 minutes and then work your way up to 30 minutes. As others have mentioned walking is a great way to start. You should be able to hold a conversation while you are doing your walk. In other words, if you are totally out of breath you are pushing yourself too hard.

[,,,]

I also like Leslie Sansone Walk at Home DVDs as they are low impact and don't require much coordination. I also swim and do as much as I can in the water.

I agree with this advice. Go at your pace doing something you enjoy. You should feel invigorated but mildly tired. Leslie Sansone is a marvelous motivator and you can use a number of her videos on YouTube. She has been keeping me going during this brutal winter since I really prefer walking outside.

It is tempting as a beginner to go full bore and exhaust yourself, but realize that this is a marathon, not a sprint. If you give 110% in the first 10 mins, you will be out for the rest of the race. Pace yourself and remember that you got to this place one day at a time, one meal at a time...so getting out of that place will take some time too.

Good luck on your journey and remember to be gentle with yourself!
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I'm just popping in to say YAY YOU for getting started! It's not easy to start exercising, but it's so worth it.

I'll echo what some other folks are saying and encourage you to just keep at it. Start off with something light like walking, and build up from there. It DOES get easier, I promise.
  • Rose6300
    Rose6300 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Adaptive fitness (Google it) is a real thing. You will adapt and be able to do more. When I started out (347 lbs in 2012) I had an injury and couldn't work out at all. I lost 50 lbs with diet first and then started working out (Jan. 6, 2013). At first all I could do was 15 minutes of Wii Fit. But I bought a heart rate monitor and I used it like I was training for the MF Wii Fit Olympics (if there was such a thing). Twice a day, six days a week, I got my big butt up on that Wii Fit step and did step aerobics. Within two or three weeks, I could start walking. I walked a quarter mile at first. That's it. WIthin two more weeks I started adding wrist and ankle weights. A bit after that, I added a riser to the step. Because everything got easier. The key is to keep challenging yourself. Not to the point where you're puking during a workout. But one day, what you're doing now will have you hardly breaking a sweat, and then it's time to step it up. If you can't handle the workout you're doing now, start out by just walking. I swear, if you're consistent, your body will adapt and you will get better at it. By the end of last October, my workouts consisted of kettlebells three times a week, biking three times a week, kayaking three times a week, trail running three times a week, and a long walk three times a week. My Saturday brick workouts were a 20 mile bike ride, followed by a 6 mile kayaking trip, and a four mile trail run. I'm training for my first triathlon this summer. You can do this. I promise you, because I've done it. And if I can do it? Anyone can.

This is terrific advice. Challenge yourself, but gradually. :flowerforyou:
  • Geordie_Guy
    Geordie_Guy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    start with walking. . I started off walking and lost about my first 25 pounds this way along with dieting.. only now started running as healthier and lighter it gets a lot easier as your increase your overall fitness levels.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Zumba was a great beginner workout for me, I bought the game for the xbox kinect and started off with the low intensity songs. Even though I was basically only able to get through the warm up and cool down songs I kept with it, and gradually moved up to the high end of the medium intensity songs. Unfortunately hip and knee problems prevented me from going any further, but it was an excellent workout. Usually around 300 calories burned for a 30 minute session of medium intensity, with ankle and wrist weights (with an HRM.)
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Add me to the "try walking, keep going" crowd!

You got this!! :flowerforyou:
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Maybe start with something not so intense, and work harder and harder as time goes by and you get stronger. It happens much faster than you'd think! Keep it lighter but keep at it. You'd do what you tried to do today easily in no time if you just put effort into it!
  • kmoirecavender
    kmoirecavender Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your first day!!!! You're one step closer to a healthier you! Pace yourself. Every journey begins with a first step. Congrats on taking your first step today! You can do it!

Absolutely! Keep on moving, you will be so surprised and amazed when you breeze through 15 min.!
  • LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Don't stop! It will get better! Walking is great - start walking! :flowerforyou:
  • billprice005
    billprice005 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The first day is always the hardest. Im in pretty good shape, but if I have to take 2 or more weeks off, that first time back kills me too. But the 2nd day is better, the third day even better. Don't try to do it all at once. but day by day, try a little more.

Keep us updated