Ack! Better work that off!

Options
13»

Replies

• The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, the hierarchy of needs in terms of nutrition are as follows:

Calories in vs calories out - or 'are you eating less than you're expending?'
    If it fits your macros - or 'is your Protein/Fat/Carbs split on point?'
    Sweat the small stuff - or 'Vitamins and minerals = micronutrients'

My advice is not to think about the next one down in the pyramid until you've got the one above it sorted out.

No point having a perfect macro split but going 1000 calories over or under your target.

No point meeting your RDA of all the vitamins if you're getting 60% daily fat.

Once you can meet your calorie goal within 100 calories consistently every day, then start thinking about which foods you can switch out to lower your fat or increase your protein etc without upsetting the daily calorie goal. Once you've got your daily calorie goal almost exactly within the macro split you're looking for, focus on your vitamin intake, your fibre levels, sodium, etc.

Once you've done that, you've pretty much mastered your nutritional intake - but don't forget, you can always take steps back down the ladder. Fancy some ice cream or pizza bread for a treat and can't fit it in your macros? Can you fit it into your calorie goal? All good! :)

Jay
    This breaks it down perfectly.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I get 35-40% of my calories from fat and have throughout my diet. I am now around 20% body fat which is pretty darn lean. ETA: My blood work is also phenomenal. You need to get enough protein (the most important according to studies, and enough fat and carbs. After that the excess cals can come from anything you like. The default macros set on MFP are stupid.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options

My advice is not to think about the next one down in the pyramid until you've got the one above it sorted out.

No point having a perfect macro split but going 1000 calories over or under your target.

Once you can meet your calorie goal within 100 calories consistently every day, then start thinking about which foods you can switch out to lower your fat or increase your protein etc without upsetting the daily calorie goal. Once you've got your daily calorie goal almost exactly within the macro split you're looking for, focus on your vitamin intake, your fibre levels, sodium, etc.

Once you've done that, you've pretty much mastered your nutritional intake - but don't forget, you can always take steps back down the ladder. Fancy some ice cream or pizza bread for a treat and can't fit it in your macros? Can you fit it into your calorie goal? All good! :)

Jay

Nice.

Animated-GIFs-flight-of-the-conchords-3809583-412-333.gif?1339094385414
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I get enough protein and then let fat and carbs fall where they may. In general, I get about the same number of calories from each which technically "over my fats" every day. You could also call it "low carb." I gain my fitness goals, so I am happy.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    So I made some "pizza bread" today, which is one of my favorites. Then I created the recipe using the handy dandy little tool on here.

CRAP! Even with the 3 miles of walking I did this morning I was over my fat allotment for the day. I'm so ready to not be fat; so as much as I hate it, another 30 minutes of areobics and 10 for calisthenics this afternoon

So note to self. no more pizza bread!

Over your fat macro or over your total calories? Because there is a very distinct difference.

And now to read the rest of the thread to see that this has already been addressed a dozen times...
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    You've gotten some good replies in this, OP! As others said, fat does not instantly turn into fat on your body; in fact it's vital for many things, including healthy skin, nails, hair, cholesterol, and most importantly, BOWEL MOVEMENTS.

Now that we've got that out of the way... err... would you mind sharing the recipe?
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Physiology fail.
    Until you understand that you cannot outperform your nutrition, you'll not succeed.
    IMO you should pop out 100 pushups, body squats and knee tucks, within any time prior to bed to deplete glycogen in the muscle for that tasty treat to fill later.

Did you just grab a box of words and dump them on the screen?

Haven't you seen the "exercise" version of the magnetic poetry kit?

Many successful MFPers use their fat and protein goals as guidelines and minimums. I suggest you follow suit. It will help with your sanity.
  • MrsG31
    MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    People ARE nice on these forums...contrary to popular belief:laugh:

This really has been pleasant reading (and educational!)....well except for that first response of jumbled mess

edit: for spelling fail
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Jay

Well said and extremely helpful for people who are just starting out and overwhelmed by all the bickering and dissenting opinions on the forums.
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    You've gotten some good replies in this, OP! As others said, fat does not instantly turn into fat on your body; in fact it's vital for many things, including healthy skin, nails, hair, cholesterol, and most importantly, BOWEL MOVEMENTS.

Now that we've got that out of the way... err... would you mind sharing the recipe?

Slice of bread, melted butter ( about one Tbsp) with a dash of garlic powder, dash of onion powder (plus whatever other spices you like). using a basting brush, spread butter and spices on one side of bread, put in oven on broil for no more than 2 minutes. Take out the bread and spread with your favorite pasta sauce, and a sprinkle of cheese, broil for another 2 minutes or until cheese is melty ETA Broil butter side down
  • towens00
    towens00 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    In for pizza bread recipe. Great posts too.
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Just checked back in on this thread and saw all your kind replies on my post.

Glad I could be of help guys and gals :-)

Jay
  • salzej01
    salzej01 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Great info on this thread!
  • steph8679
    steph8679 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    This. Fat doesn't make you fat. Excess calories do.
    [/quote]

^ this is exactly right! If your not over on your calories then eat the pizza!
  • toronto_j
    toronto_j Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    You're freaking out over a piece of bread with tomato sauce and cheese? Really?
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I make sure I achieve my protein macro and eat right up to my calorie goal. Hitting just one macro makes the other 2 pretty much fall into place. That's it... really easy.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I make sure I achieve my protein macro and eat right up to my calorie goal. Hitting just one macro makes the other 2 pretty much fall into place. That's it... really easy.

Congratulations on finding the secret to IIFYM success. (No, seriously...no sarcasm.) I do the same, but also have a minimum fat level that I try to at least reach...and then where the rest of the calories fall, I really don't care...but it's the protein macro that is the key because if you aren't diligent, it's easy to fall *way* short (probably because carbs are easy and delicious).