Food addiction-Sugar

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Sugar is indeed addictive, and may be more addictive than cocaine. That's what new studies are beginning to show. It isn't your fault, it's tied directly into the reward centers in your brain. I'm not sure if others posted about that, because the comments were beginning to look trollish and I just wanted to reach out. I believe you. I have a problem with sugar too, to the extent that I really can't have it around at all. I recommend following something like the Whole 30 cleanse or something similar, with guidelines and grocery lists, so that you have a mission, something to stick to. It takes 2 weeks to really be free of the taste and urge to eat it. I promise you that if you do quit cold turkey and follow something like W30 that you can be free.

I've gone on and off the sugar wagon for years. I have dabbled with stevia (I avoid chemical fake sugars, they're perhaps linked with cancer and repro problems) and it worked well for me. I even made my own chocolate and ice cream with it. You can google lots of recipes with stevia. That certainly helped.

These days, I limit how much fruit is in the house, as that's too sweet for me; the only chocolate I buy is super dark, 85-88% because I just don't have the urge to eat a ton of it. I don't buy cookies or cakes, and I avoid eating a lot of grain because I find that it creates a downward spiral for me into sugar cravings. Stick with lots of protein, veggies, and LOTS of good fats like coconut oil which helps a TON. Good luck, it's a doozy of an addiction, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
    <3

and the idiocy continues…

link to said studies?

So sugar is addictive as cocaine but you still eat fruit , dark chocolate, and carbs…..sounds legit...
  • mif2jc
    mif2jc Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    When I quit sugar cold turkey, I had a detox response. Headaches, Tremors, it was horrible. I find that if I include more fruits and vegetables in my diet I have less cravings for sugar. I never realized that I was a sugar addict until I quit.
  • kbessey04
    kbessey04 Posts: 17
    Options
    I just recently started to admit that I have a food addiction. I swore I could stop eating crap, and even succeeded for 2 days! Then cookie dough reached it's evil little hands into my fridge. And well, here we are. I've tried Overeaters anonymous, and have recently thought of trying Food Addicts Anonymous, but I'm scared to give up sugar and flour. I have 100 pounds to loose. I hope you have success in your journey.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    When I quit sugar cold turkey, I had a detox response. Headaches, Tremors, it was horrible. I find that if I include more fruits and vegetables in my diet I have less cravings for sugar. I never realized that I was a sugar addict until I quit.

you realize fruit has sugar in it, right? And carbs - vegetables - break down in your body as sugar….
  • mif2jc
    Options

you realize fruit has sugar in it, right? And carbs - vegetables - break down in your body as sugar….

Which is better to put into your body, fruit and vegetables or candy bars and white sugar?
  • Smeltzer2
    Smeltzer2 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I had an eating disorder from the time I was 9 years old until 60. 54 years of either binging, purging, starving, dieting, or
    all out binge eating. At the age of 60, on April 10, 2003 I asked God to assist me and make a normal eater out of me.
    I than took all sweets out of my diet. I was eating sugar that was in foods, no cake, candy , cookies , pies, ice cream,
    donuts . I lost 100 lbs over ten years. I also went to Overeaters Anynomous and worked the 12 steps of the program.

I never gave my food to a sponsor, but a sponser helped me work the 12 steps. I asked God to sponsor me with food.
    Many in OA said he could not. The next morning after a "spiritual awakening" about food, and the biggest binge in
    my life, I started to eat 3 moderate meals a day. Of course I kept the heavy sweets and candy out of my food plan.

I did five hours at a time,l breakfast, lunch, dinner. It took me 54 years to get over this. I now have taken all those
    items out of my food plan again for lent, but am praying that I can continue to do it for a few years of whatever God
    has left for me. I am 71. I can do it.

There is hope. God did for me what I could never do for myself. It is great to wear the same clothes each season
    without going up in size. I started to get careless. I want to lose about 25 more lbs, but if I dont' as long as I am
    healthy. Good luck. Feel free to add me for support.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Which is better to put into your body, fruit and vegetables or candy bars and white sugar?

your body does not distinguish between types of sugar. Some fruits have more sugar than a candy bar, so if I eat a candy bar that has less sugar then a piece of fruit, does that make the candy bar "better"

how can you be addicted to table sugar and not fruit sugar?
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Has anyone ever legitimately answered this question
  • ndj1979
    Options

Has anyone ever legitimately answered this question

No, never…but I keep asking..its like my holy grail...
  • chelsealafortune
    Options
    I am also super addicted to sugary sugar! I have found this website to be immensely helpful with this problem, ie now that I am logging EVERYTHING I eat I don't eat as much crap because I am dedicated to staying under my calorie limit. I still occasionally go over, but logging everything really helps to take a look at what's going into your body. Eliminating sugar from the house is good too, but there can be sweets that are deceptively bad for you, ie honey and dried cranberries. Just be careful and stick to logging your foods.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    one serving of grapes has 23 grams of sugar…the talenti chocolate chip gelato I am having for dessert has 25 grams of sugar …which one is "bad' and which one is "good"….
  • mif2jc
    Options

your body does not distinguish between types of sugar. Some fruits have more sugar than a candy bar, so if I eat a candy bar that has less sugar then a piece of fruit, does that make the candy bar "better"

Fruit and vegetables are always better because of the micronutrient content. I never said I have conquered my addiction just helped curb the white sugar cravings through better nutrition.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Sugar could be addictive and the government may need to introduce a tax on it in order to combat obesity, England's chief medical officer said on Tuesday.

Dame Sally Davies made the comments to the Commons health select committee a day ahead of an announcement from the World Health Organisation on new proposed limits for sugar consumption.

Davies told the committee she thought that "research will find sugar is addictive" – a position that has been advanced by some in the US on the back of research by addiction scientists working for the US government's National Institutes of Health. The possibility is strongly disputed by the food industry. "We may need to introduce a sugar tax," she added.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Fruit and vegetables are always better because of the micronutrient content. I never said I have conquered my addiction just helped curb the white sugar cravings through better nutrition.
    Your curbing your cravings for sugar by eating sugar?
  • ndj1979
    Options

so you curb your sugar craving by eating more sugar?

hey, I am a crack head and I curb my cravings by snorting cocaine….
  • flabbybunker
    flabbybunker Posts: 57 Member
    Options

This is pure gold about my experience. I use to get some type of sugary snack every day before I did my cleanse. Honestly the night I decided to change my eating habits. I had like three slices of cake. I don't know what it was, but the next morning , after the castor oil mixed with lemon juice gulp I did, I haven't desired process sugar products. The cleanse gave me the energy I was missing. The only sugar I eat was in fruits and well that's good sugar.

Sure I will kill an apple and orange or banana during the day, but better those sugars than the process stuff. I would suggest eating fruits . You will be surprised how that will kill your cravings. Also fruit is good for you as well :)
  • mif2jc
    Options

I totally agree with you that sugar cannot ever be removed from a diet. However, there are better choices to be made for health. Choosing the sugars and other carbs that occur naturally in foods are a better choice than processed foods. Maybe/ Maybe not addiction, but I will never forget the detox I went through as I was making big changes to diet.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Here is a guy who completely agrees with the sugar in moderation mantra (as do I, although I'm careful about WHEN). This is from 2012, sorry if it's been posted already. I included the first paragraph although I know we have already argued it to death. It's the second paragraph that I liked.

Is sugar toxic? This was the question posed by CBS News program 60 Minutes last Sunday. The answer was a resounding “yes.” And not only is sugar toxic, it is also addictive according to the experts interviewed for the segment. I have been interested in food addiction for some time now and it seems that the popular media is finally taking notice of this concept. The program featured Eric Stice, Ph.D., a neuroscientist at the Oregon Research Institute who has used fMRI scans to conclude that sugar activates the same brain regions that are activated when a person consumes drugs like cocaine. In addition, he found that heavy users of sugar develop tolerance (needing more and more to feel the same effect), which is a symptom of substance dependence. Nora Volkow, M.D., a psychiatrist at the National Institute on Drug Abuse, has done similar research using brain imaging techniques to show similarities between the brains of people who are obese and people who abuse drugs and alcohol. Nicole Avena, Ph.D., a psychologist at Princeton University, was even able to induce sugar dependency in rats. In my opinion, the research is convincing that sugar and other foods have an addictive quality. The Lay’s potato chip advertising execs were really onto something when they developed their “betcha can’t eat just one” slogan in the 1950s. Talk about ahead of their time!

The question that has plagued me more recently is: what do we do with this information? As a clinician, how do I best help patients struggling with overeating? The most commonly used model to treat drug and alcohol addictions is abstinence (complete avoidance of the drug or alcohol). Should we advocate an abstinence model for the treatment of sugar addiction? This would involve recommending that people completely avoid food and beverages with sugar—a daunting task when you consider the breadth of food products containing sugar. To me, this type of recommendation rings too similar to restrictive dieting: a “weight loss” technique that most research has found only leads to binge eating and weight cycling. When food is off-limits, it tends to take on power and value. The things that you cannot have are only that much more enticing. Think about a 10-year-old boy who is not allowed to see an “R” rated movie. His imagination may run wild with thoughts about what intriguing content that movie may contain. He would be disappointed to find out that most “R” rated movies are actually quite boring, especially for a 10-year-old child. The same happens with food; a doughnut becomes alluring, its shining glaze beckoning you from across the room. You imagine how incredible it would taste, find yourself ruminating about the doughnut far after you have left its physical presence. It may become a symbol of rebellion: “I’m going to be a bad girl tonight and eat the doughnut, screw them all!” and then turn into a symbol for self-hatred, disgust, and shame when you succumb to eating the doughnut. In reality, it’s just a doughnut: simply flour, sugar, and yeast fried in oil. Demystified and eaten mindfully, the doughnut loses its power and is often just as disappointing as the “R” rated movie. However, to the person for whom the doughnut is off-limits, it becomes so much more. This is my concern with advocating an abstinence model to treat sugar addiction. I think that caution should be used when restricting foods from your diet (especially foods that you tend to enjoy) and you should be conscious of the effect that this restriction has on your mind and body. Therapy and mindful eating are tools that can help you in this process. The goal is to create a healthy and peaceful relationship with food that will leave you feeling satisfied. Going beyond the physical nature of your relationship with food into the psychological will enhance the relationship and help restore a sense of balance in your eating.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

I totally agree with you that sugar cannot ever be removed from a diet. However, there are better choices to be made for health. Choosing the sugars and other carbs that occur naturally in foods are a better choice than processed foods. Maybe/ Maybe not addiction, but I will never forget the detox I went through as I was making big changes to diet.

You're completely missing his point. How can you detox from sugar if you're still eating sugar? Of course eating fruit is better than eating a candy bar (fiber, micronutrients, and stuff), but it has nothing to do with the type of sugar in each! What do you think happens to sugar when it's refined?