Food addiction-Sugar

Options

Replies

• AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Sugar is indeed addictive, and may be more addictive than cocaine. That's what new studies are beginning to show.

Show us the studies.
    It isn't your fault

yeah, actually - it IS your fault. No one pried your mouth open and shoved it in.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    This discussion is always fun. I wonder why people are so emotionally attached to the idea of sugar addiction.

because people don't want to have to face the fact that they are responsible for their actions.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Sugar is indeed addictive, and may be more addictive than cocaine. That's what new studies are beginning to show. It isn't your fault, it's tied directly into the reward centers in your brain. I'm not sure if others posted about that, because the comments were beginning to look trollish and I just wanted to reach out. I believe you. I have a problem with sugar too, to the extent that I really can't have it around at all. I recommend following something like the Whole 30 cleanse or something similar, with guidelines and grocery lists, so that you have a mission, something to stick to. It takes 2 weeks to really be free of the taste and urge to eat it. I promise you that if you do quit cold turkey and follow something like W30 that you can be free.

I've gone on and off the sugar wagon for years. I have dabbled with stevia (I avoid chemical fake sugars, they're perhaps linked with cancer and repro problems) and it worked well for me. I even made my own chocolate and ice cream with it. You can google lots of recipes with stevia. That certainly helped.

These days, I limit how much fruit is in the house, as that's too sweet for me; the only chocolate I buy is super dark, 85-88% because I just don't have the urge to eat a ton of it. I don't buy cookies or cakes, and I avoid eating a lot of grain because I find that it creates a downward spiral for me into sugar cravings. Stick with lots of protein, veggies, and LOTS of good fats like coconut oil which helps a TON. Good luck, it's a doozy of an addiction, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
    <3

All these "studies" you "reference" (or lack there of) have been deemed laughable by any respected nutrition or addicitive scientist. The one I know you're mostly referring to went like this:

"Rats were offered the choice between rice cakes and cookies".
  • magerum
    Options
    This discussion is always fun. I wonder why people are so emotionally attached to the idea of sugar addiction.

People don't want to take personal accountability and use it as a scape goat.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    another sugar thread goes down in flames....

bring on the cat gifs...

cat-is-busted.gif
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options

because people don't want to have to face the fact that they are responsible for their actions.

Truth!!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

Truth!!

Yep!! :drinker:
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Instead of the 'he said she said' argument, can I get some supporting scientific journal evidence for or against sugar addiction?

Thanks!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    Instead of the 'he said she said' argument, can I get some supporting scientific journal evidence for or against sugar addiction?

Thanks!

nope!
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

Thanks!

326.gif
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

Thanks!

326.gif

*sigh* I guess Christmas only comes once per year. Shucks.
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I do not keep anything sugary or salty a la junk food in my house. I cannot. I will eat it. One serving bags? Nope, I will eat every single on of those bags. The only thing that works for me is to NOT keep them in the house. I know this may not be the best strategy for everyone, but it works for me. I have absolutely no self control when it comes to stuff junk food. So it is best to just cut off the supply completely.

Why not try to teach yourself some self-control? That's what it's going to take in the long run. You can't make everything out of sight, out of mind.

Maybe not forever, that's true, but I don't see the problem doing this in the beginning to get yourself on the right track & help you stay on track. I also think most people do have a few trigger foods they just can't have in the house. Why is recognizing that as an issue & doing something to prevent it isn't a bad thing?
  • royaldrea
    royaldrea Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    another sugar thread goes down in flames....

bring on the cat gifs...

cat-is-busted.gif

Omg...I love this gif way too much.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    h20213288
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Sugar is indeed addictive, and may be more addictive than cocaine. That's what new studies are beginning to show. It isn't your fault, it's tied directly into the reward centers in your brain. I'm not sure if others posted about that, because the comments were beginning to look trollish and I just wanted to reach out. I believe you. I have a problem with sugar too, to the extent that I really can't have it around at all. I recommend following something like the Whole 30 cleanse or something similar, with guidelines and grocery lists, so that you have a mission, something to stick to. It takes 2 weeks to really be free of the taste and urge to eat it. I promise you that if you do quit cold turkey and follow something like W30 that you can be free.

I've gone on and off the sugar wagon for years. I have dabbled with stevia (I avoid chemical fake sugars, they're perhaps linked with cancer and repro problems) and it worked well for me. I even made my own chocolate and ice cream with it. You can google lots of recipes with stevia. That certainly helped.

These days, I limit how much fruit is in the house, as that's too sweet for me; the only chocolate I buy is super dark, 85-88% because I just don't have the urge to eat a ton of it. I don't buy cookies or cakes, and I avoid eating a lot of grain because I find that it creates a downward spiral for me into sugar cravings. Stick with lots of protein, veggies, and LOTS of good fats like coconut oil which helps a TON. Good luck, it's a doozy of an addiction, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
    <3

No, studies have NOT shown that. Sheesh. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    My question is, how on Earth do you people survive in the real world when someone has a different opinion? Call them 'meanies' and curl up in the fetal position?
  • magerum
    Options
    My question is, how on Earth do you people survive in the real world when someone has a different opinion? Call them 'meanies' and curl up in the fetal position?

No. They call you a bully, start crying, run away and take solace in their shelf of participation trophies. Do you even emo?
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

yes.

stop being a meanie! :angry:

Angry-Boy.jpg
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I believe that I have a food addiction the only thing I crave mostly is sweets but I find myself mindlessly eating... I wont even realize that I am. Its like once I start I cant stop.

I want to hear from fellow/former food addicts
    Any advice?
    What helped you?

I learned to stop making excuses ie "sugar addiction" and buckled down and stuck to a diet

Yup.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I think the whole "sugar addiction" thing is a bunch of baloney. They used to vilify fat, now it's sugar. People love having something to blame. The best advice I can give you is to just not have trigger foods in the house if you are prone to bingeing. But don't eliminate them completely or you'll go nuts. There's no reason to be super restrictive if you're staying under your calorie limit.

I can eat a whole box of sugary cereal and not feel full. Then search the house mindlessly for more sugar. I eat some fat, and I feel full, and stop. I myself am addicted to sugar.

Yeah, but have you had sex with a stranger for a box of Twinkies?

What would YOU do.........for a klondike bar?
    :laugh:

I once had sex with a box of Twinkies…that was an interesting night...