Food addiction-Sugar

Options

Replies

• DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

methadone is a great source of vitamins and fiber? Huh. I've been eating veges for that.

Do you even party, bro?

Obviously I've been doing it wrong!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Right. Sugar is toxic. Which is why human beings have been eating it since human beings existed.

Why doesn't anybody know how to think critically anymore?

Of course sugar is toxic - why do you think we evolved to produce insulin.

Sugar is also essential to our brains and other organs, but it toxic in large doses.

Why can't it be both toxic in large doses and at the same time be essential for us?

Your thought process on this seem quite narrow!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2246629/

do you ever make sense, or do you just constantly semi troll?
    [/quote]

I'm thinking semi-troll, since he has proven time and time again he has zero credibility in his statements.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Right. Sugar is toxic. Which is why human beings have been eating it since human beings existed.

Sugar is also essential to our brains and other organs, but it toxic in large doses.

Why can't it be both toxic in large doses and at the same time be essential for us?

do you ever make sense, or do you just constantly semi troll?

I'm thinking semi-troll, since he has proven time and time again he has zero credibility in his statements.
    [/quote]

No, I'm here for the A&I.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    When I quit sugar cold turkey, I had a detox response. Headaches, Tremors, it was horrible. I find that if I include more fruits and vegetables in my diet I have less cravings for sugar. I never realized that I was a sugar addict until I quit.

you realize fruit has sugar in it, right? And carbs - vegetables - break down in your body as sugar….

Which is better to put into your body, fruit and vegetables or candy bars and white sugar?

your body does not distinguish between types of sugar. Some fruits have more sugar than a candy bar, so if I eat a candy bar that has less sugar then a piece of fruit, does that make the candy bar "better"

how can you be addicted to table sugar and not fruit sugar?

Fruit and vegetables are always better because of the micronutrient content. I never said I have conquered my addiction just helped curb the white sugar cravings through better nutrition.

so you curb your sugar craving by eating more sugar?

hey, I am a crack head and I curb my cravings by snorting cocaine….

Heroin addicts curb their addiction by using methadone.

Its a healthier option and a great source of vitamins and fiber.
    yea, then they get hooked on methadone, and have to go to rehab for methadone...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    When I quit sugar cold turkey, I had a detox response. Headaches, Tremors, it was horrible. I find that if I include more fruits and vegetables in my diet I have less cravings for sugar. I never realized that I was a sugar addict until I quit.

you realize fruit has sugar in it, right? And carbs - vegetables - break down in your body as sugar….

It depends on the definition of sugar. Sugar can mean all sugars, or it can mean the processed crystals made from sugar cane.

If someone asks you to "Please pass the sugar." I highly doubt you'll hand them a carrot.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Wait, what? What has insulin have to do with the toxicity of sugar? Insulin is a transport hormone that picks up the sugar from the intestine and moves it to whichever cell needs the energy. It does the same thing for protein, so is protein toxic also? Insulin also tells us when to stop eating (it triggers satiety, along with leptin,) so is being full also toxic? There's also about 100 other bodily regulatory functions insulin is responsible for, but yeah, you're right, obviously we only evolved it to deal with the pesky "toxic" sugar.

Insulin isn't something we "evolved" to deal with "toxic" sugar. Insulin is a vital hormone required for life. Which is why every species of animal on the planet has insulin.

As for the rest of your argument, everything is toxic in too large a dose. It's a logical fallacy that fear mongerers like Lustig and Taubes love to use.

And the job of the pancreas is to secrete the hormone insulin into our blood stream when it detects high levels of glucose and to either burn it, store it or convert it into fat (to be used later).

I think Insulin has quite a connection with sugar and seems to want to move it out of our blood stream as soon as it can - maybe it knows something you don't about sugar?

That being said too much insulin in our system can be toxic (just saying!!)
    *sigh*

Please take a biology course. There are many different hormones that are involved with taking all the vitamins, minerals, sugars, proteins, and fats in our blood and moving them to the places they need to go. Just because something doesn't perpetually stay in our blood doesn't make it "toxic." Blood has a specific viscosity to it. Too much or too little glucose and fat in the blood stream can Affect the viscosity of the blood, which can affect the ability of the heart to pump blood through the blood stream.

That's why it's regulated. Like everything else in your body. Also, insulin doesn't decide anything about sugar. It picks it up from the intestine and moves it to the blood stream. As it travels through the blood stream, various organs and cells take whatever they need. If the other organs don't take up any sugar, then the insulin delivers it to the liver. From there, the liver converts the glucose to glycogen. Once the liver's glycogen reserve is full (which takes a couple pounds of glycogen) then the liver starts converting the rest to glycerol. Once the glycerol is made, it's attached to fatty acids, and then transported to adipose tissue for storage.

Insulin doesn't decide any of that. Neither does your pancreas. Besides, your pancreas also secretes insulin when it detects high levels of protein being digested (it happens during digestion, it doesn't wait for it to hit the blood stream, in fact, the enzymes in your saliva are specifically there to begin the breakdown of carbs and sugar, long before you even swallow.) You even get a (smaller) insulin hit when you eat fat, because the simple act of eating food causes an automatic release of insulin but the pancreas, because again, insulin is the number one hormone to indicate satiety.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

It depends on the definition of sugar. Sugar can mean all sugars, or it can mean the processed crystals made from sugar cane.

If someone asks you to "Please pass the sugar." I highly doubt you'll hand them a carrot.
    That's a straw man. If an alcoholic only means liquor when they say alcohol, does that mean it's ok for them to drink beer? You can't arbitrarily pick and choose partial definitions of words, or make up your own definitions.

And the processed crystals from sugar came aren't "sugar." That's actually called "table sugar." As in, a specific type of sugar.
  • crystalfisher89
    crystalfisher89 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I like chocolate, but I've learned ways to control my crazy hungry pangs for it. It's actually quite simple, instead of banning it or giving it up completely, I let myself have a small amount everyday. Yes, everyday. I haven't gained weight and I'm actually about 8ish lbs from my goal weight- consistently losing slowly but making great gains on my physique.

One thing I like to do though if I start to go chocolate crazy though is I'll have a granny smith apple with peanut butter. The bitter kicks the sweets craving and the peanut butter gives you the protein and sweetens the apple up some- makes an awesome pre or post workout snack too! I also keep dark chocolate around (55% or higher cocoa) and have just one square. Dark chocolate has wonderful antioxidants and just one square helps me kick the chocolate craving really quick because it is also slightly bitter. It's weird, but anything bitter seems to kill sweet cravings for me. Gum doesn't work because I really don't like gum and I can't stand plain mints.
  • bcattoes
    Options

That's a straw man. If an alcoholic only means liquor when they say alcohol, does that mean it's ok for them to drink beer? You can't arbitrarily pick and choose partial definitions of words, or make up your own definitions.

And the processed crystals from sugar came aren't "sugar." That's actually called "table sugar." As in, a specific type of sugar.

It is actually nothing at all like that. If they said they were giving up cookies but still eating cake, that would like your silly example.

The thing is you can make up all the definitions of the word "sugar" that you want. But check the dictionary if you want to know what a word means.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    You know what you are right I should just do a group but excuse me for not knowing the site very well (i didnt know there were groups) and also for the fact that i thought this was a supportive site but from comments on here and my profile I see that making a forum is nothing but an issue and people get judgmental pretty quick.

This forum has become so unwelcoming I hope that other people who post don't get such an negative response ESPECIALLY their first few times.

I'm done with the thread I'm done with your comments. thank you for those SUPPORTIVE ones that gave advice like the whole point of a freaking forum is. To the other I'm sorry you are still so miserable with yourself that this is what your life has come to I would hate to see your facebook, twitter, instagram, or any other social site. i respect your opinion so respect mine and just go away please.

I really wish that there was a delete button for the darn forum.

and a HUGE thank you to anybody who reached out to me with advice in a PM, Means a lot!

I'm happy for anybody success but please people don't forget how hard it was to get started and show a little support instead of knocking somebody when they are down...

so basically everyone who agreed with you is "supportive" and anyone that disagreed was an "a-hole"....

Not at all my question was not DO YOU BELIEVE THAT THERE IS A SUCH THING AS FOOD/SUGAR ADDICTION
    it was for tips to stop impulses, if you don't believe in that it exist how are you going to give me tips on how to cope? you cant.
    Calling it an addiction is slapping every crack head in the face who ever has to suck their way to the next hit.

Self control and will power is what the crack head needs.

DIfference being, crack is actually addictive.

Addicts don't need it. They want it. They crave it. They have a compelling urge to have it even though they know it is destroying their health. Self control and will power is how they overcome it. It doesn't sound all that different to me.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    You know what you are right I should just do a group but excuse me for not knowing the site very well (i didnt know there were groups) and also for the fact that i thought this was a supportive site but from comments on here and my profile I see that making a forum is nothing but an issue and people get judgmental pretty quick.

This forum has become so unwelcoming I hope that other people who post don't get such an negative response ESPECIALLY their first few times.

I'm done with the thread I'm done with your comments. thank you for those SUPPORTIVE ones that gave advice like the whole point of a freaking forum is. To the other I'm sorry you are still so miserable with yourself that this is what your life has come to I would hate to see your facebook, twitter, instagram, or any other social site. i respect your opinion so respect mine and just go away please.

and a HUGE thank you to anybody who reached out to me with advice in a PM, Means a lot!

I'm happy for anybody success but please people don't forget how hard it was to get started and show a little support instead of knocking somebody when they are down...

so basically everyone who agreed with you is "supportive" and anyone that disagreed was an "a-hole"....

Not at all my question was not DO YOU BELIEVE THAT THERE IS A SUCH THING AS FOOD/SUGAR ADDICTION
    it was for tips to stop impulses, if you don't believe in that it exist how are you going to give me tips on how to cope? you cant.
    Calling it an addiction is slapping every crack head in the face who ever has to suck their way to the next hit.

Addicts don't need it. They want it. They crave it. They have a compelling urge to have it even though they know it is destroying their health. Self control and will power is how they overcome it. It doesn't sound all that different to me.

please find me the person that is eating spoons full of sugar repeatedly out of a bowl and maybe then we can talk ....
  • bcattoes
    Options

please find me the person that is eating spoons full of sugar repeatedly out of a bowl and maybe then we can talk ....

But I would guess there are just as many people eating spoonfuls of sugar as spoonfuls of crack. I don't know where to find either, nor can I imagine why I'd try or how it would be tied to our ability to talk.

It seems the stumbling block to our talking is that we're on the internet.
  • ndj1979
    Options

But I would guess there are just as many people eating spoonfuls of sugar as spoonfuls of crack. I don't know where to find either, nor can I imagine why I'd try or how it would be tied to our ability to talk.

crackheads are crackheads because everything they do is based on one thing, which is finding more crack and smoking it. If you put a bowl full of crack in front of a crackhead, they will smoke all of it ...

I have never seen anyone eat a whole bowl of table sugar by themselves, in one sitting...
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

family-guy-cookie-dough.gif
  • bcattoes
    Options

crackheads are crackheads because everything they do is based on one thing, which is finding more crack and smoking it. If you put a bowl full of crack in front of a crackhead, they will smoke all of it ...

I have never seen anyone eat a whole bowl of table sugar by themselves, in one sitting...

I've never seen a crackhead smoke a whole bowl of crack ...

Have you never seen smokers smoke one cigarette and save the rest of the pack for later? Or do you think smoking is not addictive either?
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Wait, what? What has insulin have to do with the toxicity of sugar? Insulin is a transport hormone that picks up the sugar from the intestine and moves it to whichever cell needs the energy. It does the same thing for protein, so is protein toxic also? Insulin also tells us when to stop eating (it triggers satiety, along with leptin,) so is being full also toxic? There's also about 100 other bodily regulatory functions insulin is responsible for, but yeah, you're right, obviously we only evolved it to deal with the pesky "toxic" sugar.

Insulin isn't something we "evolved" to deal with "toxic" sugar. Insulin is a vital hormone required for life. Which is why every species of animal on the planet has insulin.

As for the rest of your argument, everything is toxic in too large a dose. It's a logical fallacy that fear mongerers like Lustig and Taubes love to use.

And the job of the pancreas is to secrete the hormone insulin into our blood stream when it detects high levels of glucose and to either burn it, store it or convert it into fat (to be used later).

I think Insulin has quite a connection with sugar and seems to want to move it out of our blood stream as soon as it can - maybe it knows something you don't about sugar?

That being said too much insulin in our system can be toxic (just saying!!)
    *sigh*

Please take a biology course. There are many different hormones that are involved with taking all the vitamins, minerals, sugars, proteins, and fats in our blood and moving them to the places they need to go. Just because something doesn't perpetually stay in our blood doesn't make it "toxic." Blood has a specific viscosity to it. Too much or too little glucose and fat in the blood stream can Affect the viscosity of the blood, which can affect the ability of the heart to pump blood through the blood stream.

That's why it's regulated. Like everything else in your body. Also, insulin doesn't decide anything about sugar. It picks it up from the intestine and moves it to the blood stream. As it travels through the blood stream, various organs and cells take whatever they need. If the other organs don't take up any sugar, then the insulin delivers it to the liver. From there, the liver converts the glucose to glycogen. Once the liver's glycogen reserve is full (which takes a couple pounds of glycogen) then the liver starts converting the rest to glycerol. Once the glycerol is made, it's attached to fatty acids, and then transported to adipose tissue for storage.

Insulin doesn't decide any of that. Neither does your pancreas. Besides, your pancreas also secretes insulin when it detects high levels of protein being digested (it happens during digestion, it doesn't wait for it to hit the blood stream, in fact, the enzymes in your saliva are specifically there to begin the breakdown of carbs and sugar, long before you even swallow.) You even get a (smaller) insulin hit when you eat fat, because the simple act of eating food causes an automatic release of insulin but the pancreas, because again, insulin is the number one hormone to indicate satiety.

Yep I know that - You seem reasonably knowledgeable! therefor I still don't understand why you do not think excess sugar is toxic?

43553-Maurice-Moss-It-Crowd-Nevermin-JVtb.gif
  • jenniferjrobinson
    Options
    I know for a fact that it is real. I can't stop once I start and when do cut it out for a long period I shake, I am irritable & I feel sick. If I cut it out for long enough then I get over that initial shaky-sick feeling and I'm not even bothered when it;s around. This is exactly what I went through when I quit smoking. I do not believe that sugar can be addictive to everyone but I do believe that some are susceptible to it.
  • crsawinton
    crsawinton Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    One thing that has helped me is having a couple dark chocolate dove promises everyday, I eat it in tiny bites that melt in my mouth, it keeps me from binging from depriving myself.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I know for a fact that it is real. I can't stop once I start and when do cut it out for a long period I shake, I am irritable & I feel sick. If I cut it out for long enough then I get over that initial shaky-sick feeling and I'm not even bothered when it;s around. This is exactly what I went through when I quit smoking. I do not believe that sugar can be addictive to everyone but I do believe that some are susceptible to it.
    That isn't addiction. That's how your body responds to sugar/lack of sugar.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    That isn't addiction. That's how your body responds to sugar/lack of sugar.

What is the definition of addiction?