Food addiction-Sugar

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    When I imagine someone with a sugar addiction, I think of a person behaving like they have Willi-Prader syndrome and just tearing through the house or restaurant eating anything and everything with sugar in it, including fruit, milk, honey, syrup, or even sweet potatoes.

No one does that, because no one has to do it. If crack were as readily available as sugar, crackheads wouldn't do it either.

Do you really think that not one single person would sleep with a stranger, steal something, hold up a 7-eleven if that is the only way they could get sugary sweets. It's beyond the imagination.

Sure, I think everyone could agree that sugar addiction does not equate to crack addiction. One is illegal and addicts must do a lot of crazy or illegal things to get it. The government will give you an EBT card to buy the other if you don't have enough money. The other is served up at every party and celebration and available at every store. People give it as gifts and leave it out free for the taking in offices.

But suppose this thing that is everywhere, often free for the taking, is the thing you crave most. The one thing you can't seem to control. The one thing that is keeping your from your goal.

And then suppose you come to forum in fitness site seeking help from others who have faced the same problem. Only to be met with all this nonsense.

Just because you can't understand a problem or you "think" it's not real, does not make it so, or make your assertions helpful.
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I may have missed it but this study pretty much concludes it is addictive for the same reasons other drugs are (dopamine stimulation is one)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2235907/

It's peer reviewed and from a respected scientific site
    So yeah it's possible

It's also possible to quit or control, but different people have different reactions to it.

a local guy has eliminated a processed and standard sugar from his diet (not naturally occurring ones like in fruit or onions for that matter) last time i drove by he was at 485 days

tumblr_inline_mlob5ePWe71qz4rgp.jpg
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    When I imagine someone with a sugar addiction, I think of a person behaving like they have Willi-Prader syndrome and just tearing through the house or restaurant eating anything and everything with sugar in it, including fruit, milk, honey, syrup, or even sweet potatoes.

No one does that, because no one has to do it. If crack were as readily available as sugar, crackheads wouldn't do it either.

Do you really think that not one single person would sleep with a stranger, steal something, hold up a 7-eleven if that is the only way they could get sugary sweets. It's beyond the imagination.

Sure, I think everyone could agree that sugar addiction does not equate to crack addiction. One is illegal and addicts must do a lot of crazy or illegal things to get it. The government will give you an EBT card to buy the other if you don't have enough money. The other is served up at every party and celebration and available at every store. People give it as gifts and leave it out free for the taking in offices.

But suppose this thing that is everywhere, often free for the taking, is the thing you crave most. The one thing you can't seem to control. The one thing that is keeping your from your goal.

And then suppose you come to forum in fitness site seeking help from others who have faced the same problem. Only to be met with all this nonsense.

Just because you can't understand a problem or you "think" it's not real, does not make it so, or make your assertions helpful.

Sigh...this has been argued before. Not in this thread, but in others I've seen in the past. There are places in this world where sugary treats are not readily available. They're not trafficking it to get it in, killing people over it, etc.

The only nonsense I keep bringing up is how people say they can be addicted to one form of sugar and not addicted to the other. Saying that you curb your sugar addiction by eating fruit instead of cake sounds...silly.

Editing to add this: I DEFINITELY understand not being able to control yourself around certain foods. I can't eat just one girl scout cookie. I can limit cupcakes to just one, though. Does that mean I have a sugar addiction because I can't resist GS cookies (even though I can resist other things)? No, I think it just means I think GS cookies are tastier than cupcakes.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options
    I may have missed it but this study pretty much concludes it is addictive for the same reasons other drugs are (dopamine stimulation is one)

So yeah it's possible

It's also possible to quit or control, but different people have different reactions to it.

a local guy has eliminated a processed and standard sugar from his diet (not naturally occurring ones like in fruit or onions for that matter) last time i drove by he was at 485 days

Well then, he hasn't really eliminated sugar from his diet, has he?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Sigh...this has been argued before. Not in this thread, but in others I've seen in the past. There are places in this world where sugary treats are not readily available. They're not trafficking it to get it in, killing people over it, etc.

The only nonsense I keep bringing up is how people say they can be addicted to one form of sugar and not addicted to the other. Saying that you curb your sugar addiction by eating fruit instead of cake sounds...silly.

Editing to add this: I DEFINITELY understand not being able to control yourself around certain foods. I can't eat just one girl scout cookie. I can limit cupcakes to just one, though. Does that mean I have a sugar addiction because I can't resist GS cookies (even though I can resist other things)? No, I think it just means I think GS cookies are tastier than cupcakes.

What does it matter? Why must everyone who chooses to use this term have their thread highjacked with meaningless nonsense about who thinks what can be addictive? Why not either post something helpful, or roll your eyes and move on?
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options

What does it matter? Why must everyone who chooses to use this term have their thread highjacked with meaningless nonsense about who thinks what can be addictive? Why not either post something helpful, or roll your eyes and move on?

You're the one that came into the thread late wanting to argue. Maybe you should take your own advice?

I personally speak against using "sugar addiction" as an excuse because it puts the blame squarely on a mythical disorder, and not on the person that can't stop eating awesome foods. I point out that it's the person's responsibility to get rid of trigger foods and learn moderation because it's so much more empowering than restricting yourself completely. To know that you can still eat cookies or ice cream because YOU are in control of what you put in your mouth, not some addiction you're convinced you have, is a great feeling.
  • crsawinton
    crsawinton Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I personally don't see sugar addiction as an "excuse" but it does need to be recognised if that is something you see in yourself, I thought they had already proven that sugar was just as addictive as heroin? It triggers the same release of chemicals in your brain's reward center, making you crave more and go through withdrawal without it.

Now I'm sure that not everyone who does heroin becomes addicted, but it is likely if you have an addictive personality. When I quit smoking it was 3 years before I didn't REALLY want a cigarette, even though I have asthma and knew I liked breathing more, it was still really really hard sometimes not to buy a pack while I was at the counter.

There is also parts of our brain that certain food triggers, I stopped eating fast food and soda a few years ago, but if I see a pepsi or McDonalds commercial I want it for a few seconds, I can imagine the taste and texture... but I don't actually want it, I wouldn't eat it, but something in my brain is telling me to, that I believe would be linked to addiction, if my will was not stronger the urge would win. That dang Fillet-o-fish commercial kills me, but I also think McDonalds is disgusting, that's not something I can explain any other way.

And there's no way I will be attempting to go off sugar, but I do try to limit it.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

So yeah it's possible

Well then, he hasn't really eliminated sugar from his diet, has he?

shhhh! don't burst their bubbles. they don't like it when their bubbles are burst.
  • JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    It's a process!

For me it took me a long time & I tried everything you can think of to kick the habit. The reality is there's always going to be some kind of sweets somewhere, You just have to learn how to deal with it and have self control.

I once eliminated everything and it just back fired, I ended up binging and lost control

After years of battling this issue, I've accepted it and now I allow myself what I want when I want I just have to be accountable for it.

I have cookies, chips, cereals & ice cream at home, I'll have some once in awhile, but I prefer to make my own version of it :) I carry this stuff because everyone in the house eats it, everyone else has self control :) it's werid I know haha
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Food can give a person pleasure, for a lot of reasons - texture, taste, scent, oysters aphrodisiac (thats what they say ;) , etc.. but also food can trigger dopamine which is your body's feel good drug thing.

You can nay say all you want, but to those of us who use food to self medicate, its real.

now that we are aware of it, we can take steps to combat it, but to discount all the people who are dealing with it, its not helpful.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

So yeah it's possible

I take it you didn't actually read that study, unless you think everything that applies to rodent models applies to humans
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Try the sugar free Werther's Originals. They are very good and nice when you are fasting too as in the 5:2 plan. Taste great. Only 8 calories each.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options
    I personally don't see sugar addiction as an "excuse" but it does need to be recognised if that is something you see in yourself, I thought they had already proven that sugar was just as addictive as heroin? It triggers the same release of chemicals in your brain's reward center, making you crave more and go through withdrawal without it.

Now I'm sure that not everyone who does heroin becomes addicted, but it is likely if you have an addictive personality. When I quit smoking it was 3 years before I didn't REALLY want a cigarette, even though I have asthma and knew I liked breathing more, it was still really really hard sometimes not to buy a pack while I was at the counter.

There is also parts of our brain that certain food triggers, I stopped eating fast food and soda a few years ago, but if I see a pepsi or McDonalds commercial I want it for a few seconds, I can imagine the taste and texture... but I don't actually want it, I wouldn't eat it, but something in my brain is telling me to, that I believe would be linked to addiction, if my will was not stronger the urge would win. That dang Fillet-o-fish commercial kills me, but I also think McDonalds is disgusting, that's not something I can explain any other way.

And there's no way I will be attempting to go off sugar, but I do try to limit it.

That's been discussed. The study about oreos only proved that rodents think oreos are tastier than heroine. The media took the story and spun it, like they usually do.

As far as dopamine release goes, basically everything that gives a person pleasure releases dopamine. Everything from tasty food to baby laughter.

Maybe there's something to it? When my baby laughs, I always want to have more laughter from her. :laugh:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

That's not "addiction," that's a very mysterious mental condition known as "a memory."
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

That's not "addiction," that's a very mysterious mental condition known as "a memory."

:drinker: :laugh:
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Processed sugar/fructose corn syrup/sweeteners are designed to be addictive so that we keep coming back for more i.e. helping people get rich. It may be my cynical view of capitalist society, but when it comes down to debates like this I always think about who profits.

Would the huge confectionary companies want it to be easy for you to give up their product? Of course not.

Did God/The Universe/Evolution/whatever force brought us all into existance have the same motive when fruit started appearing on the planet?

Just like MSG and sodium for the savory addicts, it's all about keepin 'em coming back for more...

yup that's it, the evil companies have us all hooked on sugar, so when they say "eat sugar" we all start binging...

Given your example then every single person would be constantly binging on sugar, and that is not the case...

gets on tin foil hat and heads to basement..

Again I'll say:

David Kessler, the former head of the FDA, was asked did the food industry knowingly create foods that were addictive, that would make you feel as though you were never satisfied and always wanted more?

This was his answer:
    ""Did they understand the neuroscience? No. But they learned experientially what worked.'

Source: http://www.theguardian.com/business/2012/jun/11/why-our-food-is-making-us-fat (The Guardian...you know one of the most respected publications in the world?)

conspiracy theories sure are fun . . . please tell us the one about the ancient aliens now!
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I definately believe that there is such a thing as sugar addiction. Studies have repeatedly shown that both sugar and the taste of sweet activate beta endorphin receptor sites in the brain, the same receptor sites that are activated by heroin and morphine.
    If you think logically, alcohol is nothing more than a form of sugar so if you can get addicted to alcohol you can get addicted to sugar. There is absolutely no difference apart from the fact that alcohol obviously has different outcomes if you have too much due to it being fermented. Anything that causes a person to think about it all the time and crave it constantly is technically an addiction whether it be crack, heroin, alcohol, dope, cigarettes refined sugar, shopping, sex, whatever. It is very naiive to think that an addiction can only occur with illegal substances or is classified as such due to the societal result of that addiction. Not all addictions have to result in a person robbing a 7-eleven to get their fix.

But... of course not everyone will become addicted to sugar just as not everyone will become addicted to drugs or sex or cigarettes etc etc. I know people who can take cocaine sporadically and then not want it or need it at all for ages. Some people have addictive personalities and if you remove one addiction, they will find another to take it's place just as other people can eat sugar but don't crave it or can ignore that half eaten pack of Tim Tams. It must be a chemical inbalance in the brain or something.

Good for those of you who can enjoy sweet foods or junk food in moderation but not everyone can and the best thing in that situation is to not keep those trigger foods around the house.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    I definately believe that there is such a thing as sugar addiction. Studies have repeatedly shown that both sugar and the taste of sweet activate beta endorphin receptor sites in the brain, the same receptor sites that are activated by heroin and morphine.
    If you think logically, alcohol is nothing more than a form of sugar so if you can get addicted to alcohol you can get addicted to sugar. There is absolutely no difference apart from the fact that alcohol obviously has different outcomes if you have too much due to it being fermented. Anything that causes a person to think about it all the time and crave it constantly is technically an addiction whether it be crack, heroin, alcohol, dope, cigarettes refined sugar, shopping, sex, whatever. It is very naiive to think that an addiction can only occur with illegal substances or is classified as such due to the societal result of that addiction. Not all addictions have to result in a person robbing a 7-eleven to get their fix.

But... of course not everyone will become addicted to sugar just as not everyone will become addicted to drugs or sex or cigarettes etc etc. I know people who can take cocaine sporadically and then not want it or need it at all for ages. Some people have addictive personalities and if you remove one addiction, they will find another to take it's place just as other people can eat sugar but don't crave it or can ignore that half eaten pack of Tim Tams. It must be a chemical inbalance in the brain or something.

Good for those of you who can enjoy sweet foods or junk food in moderation but not everyone can and the best thing in that situation is to not keep those trigger foods around the house.
    Exercise does the same thing, and funnily enough I find exercise addicting and I hope I don't turn into a fitness junkie.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

were these "studies" human based or rodent based?

show me the person that eats table sugar out of bowl day after day and maybe I will change my mind….
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options

were these "studies" human based or rodent based?

show me the person that eats table sugar out of bowl day after day and maybe I will change my mind….

you really know squat about addiction, if it was as simple as you think it would be simple to solve
    it's not