Food addiction-Sugar

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    these threads always end up going absolutely no where....

I personally do not believe in sugar addiction.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I gave up added sugar and sweeteners (no sweets and no diet coke) but not fruit or sugar in milks nonfat plain yogurt, etc in January and it's been great. The first couple days were hard -- I would eat more protein or just eat fruit in nonfat Fage yogurt to taste something sweet. But it's helped me. I no longer have the cravings and the sugar bloat/tiredness that I used to get in the afternoons. I've finally been able to lose (a little) weight (slowly), which had been stalled for me before. My plan was just to try it for the year, but I think I might stay on it. For me, the more sweets I ate, the more I wanted. Now I don't eat them and I don't (often) want them. It no longer even bothers me to have them around or have others eat them. My daughter, for example is a girl scout and so our house was full of cookies last month. Also I can go to friends' houses for dinner and see amazing desserts and I'm really okay with other people eating them. Good luck to you.

so you gave up one form or sugar, and continued to eat another form of sugar??? *mindblown*
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Read The hunger fix by DOCTOR PAMELA PEEKE
    the whole things are studies at different universities.

Doesn't sound quackish at all, guess she's against exercise as well due evil cortisol?
    Try to have dinner completed by 8 p.m. at least four to five days a week. Dr. Peeke's favorite saying is that if "you eat after eight, you gain a lot of weight!" If you must eat dinner after eight, eat lighter and eat before you go to dinner. (Remember, the CortiZone and your vulnerability to eat mindlessly extends through midnight.)

http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/diet-fitness/weight-loss/10-toxic-weight-prevention-tips.htm#page=0
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I gave up added sugar and sweeteners (no sweets and no diet coke) but not fruit or sugar in milks nonfat plain yogurt, etc in January and it's been great. The first couple days were hard -- I would eat more protein or just eat fruit in nonfat Fage yogurt to taste something sweet. But it's helped me. I no longer have the cravings and the sugar bloat/tiredness that I used to get in the afternoons. I've finally been able to lose (a little) weight (slowly), which had been stalled for me before. My plan was just to try it for the year, but I think I might stay on it. For me, the more sweets I ate, the more I wanted. Now I don't eat them and I don't (often) want them. It no longer even bothers me to have them around or have others eat them. My daughter, for example is a girl scout and so our house was full of cookies last month. Also I can go to friends' houses for dinner and see amazing desserts and I'm really okay with other people eating them. Good luck to you.

so you gave up one form or sugar, and continued to eat another form of sugar??? *mindblown*
    I was a crack addict, but now that I gave up crack and only snort cocaine, it's all good!!:drinker:
  • nicoledoss72
    nicoledoss72 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love love love sweets. I have tried to curb the cravings with healthier substitutes and sometimes I just have to have the ice creams or candy but to a minimum. The best thing I have found is cut up strawberries, or bananas or even grapes with a serving of Greek yogurt. Hope that helps..
  • gieshagirl
    gieshagirl Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    dieting is much harder than quiting drugs or smoking. if you do drugs or smoke, you put it down and never have to pick it up again....you cant do that with food. and food besides being addictive with sugar,fat, salt.....you have to balance activity with intake. many times this is hard to do with daily life and many of us eat with stress....well, that in itself is a formula for disaster! sugar is a mood elevator, a flavor inhancer, instant energy....these are hard to resist....now lets add...it tastes fantastic!!! midnite cravings, stress relief,.....the lists go on. i can tell you one thing...at my office, Thursday afternoon, the mood is ugly, the staff are biting each others heads off, and i make rounds with hershey kisses....one for each staff member.....in 10 min. they are all smiling and laughing and planning drinks with each otherr after work! cant tell you how many times this has worked.
  • mom2my4boys
    mom2my4boys Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hi, I read a fantastic book called "sweet poison." Maybe youd enjoy it too? I still struggle but it certainly helped. Take care!
  • Inspiring_Sara
    Inspiring_Sara Posts: 54 Member
    Options

Then get off here dude seriously if you have nothing positive to say just leave you are ridiculous. You're beliefs are you're beliefs and I respect that but honestly you look like an *kitten* if you have no advice just leave.

Dr. Peeke gives you advice and her method is to get your mind right eat right an exercise and to log everything you do and feel called mind, mouth, movement. So you would be wrong.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Thank you I find it ridiculous that people that can say its not real I know first hand.
    for me I know food has a lot of emotional baggage bc its like once a take a bite of anything my body is like OH I WANT THIS AND THIS AND THIS and before I know it I have eaten well over my calories for a day in setting.

yeah! food is like crack to a crack addict. the more you eat the more you want.

there were times when I had to eat my daily bakery pastry or even two, and also what i ate during the day (1-2 desserts like that) and the next day, i wanted more,, so it seemed like an endless need for sweets. so when i chose to stop feeding myself that stuff, i was able to STOP craving it. so i cannot do everything in moderation for that kind of food. really but you have to find something else to replace it. so fruit is it for me. coz its sweet,, some people would say dont even eat fruit coz its sweet, but for now that is working for me.

liz-lemon-oh-brother.gif

As for your statement, I'm going to go ahead and say you have no idea what you're talking about. Because if you did, you wouldn't compare a "sugar addiction" to a crack addiction.
  • Acg67
    Options

Then get off here dude seriously if you have nothing positive to say just leave you are ridiculous. You're beliefs are you're beliefs and I respect that but honestly you look like an *kitten* if you have no advice just leave.

Dr. Peeke gives you advice and her method is to get your mind right eat right an exercise and to log everything you do and feel called mind, mouth, movement. So you would be wrong.

Why exercise? According to her, food eaten after will turn into belly fat cause you know cortisol
    Dr. Peeke has found that the extra calories consumed by the cortisol appetite trigger are converted to fat deposits that gravitate to one area of the body — the waistline. Fat deposits around the abdomen are associated with illnesses such as heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, stroke and cancer. That expanding waistline isn't just a vanity issue; it's a threat to your life!

To avoid gaining toxic pounds, Dr. Peeke advises that we keep cortisol below the appetite-stimulating threshold in our bodies
  • greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    See my issue right now is that my boyfriend keeps this stuff in the house and has not interest eating healthy so I cant keep it out but I will have to try the gum thing!

This, to me, is the beginning on an excuse. Your boyfriend isn't interested in eating healthy so you can't keep it out of the house, which means you can't control yourself because it's always around.

My other statements still stand however. If you HONESTLY think you're addicted (like alcoholic style), then you should seek professional help. A post on MFP isn't going to help you overcome your addiction. However, if its actually a willpower issue, then you came to the right place to seek advice.

I'm curious though, do you binge like that with friends, family, every time you go out to eat, or is it only when you're alone?
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Thank you I find it ridiculous that people that can say its not real I know first hand.
    for me I know food has a lot of emotional baggage bc its like once a take a bite of anything my body is like OH I WANT THIS AND THIS AND THIS and before I know it I have eaten well over my calories for a day in setting.

yeah! food is like crack to a crack addict. the more you eat the more you want.

there were times when I had to eat my daily bakery pastry or even two, and also what i ate during the day (1-2 desserts like that) and the next day, i wanted more,, so it seemed like an endless need for sweets. so when i chose to stop feeding myself that stuff, i was able to STOP craving it. so i cannot do everything in moderation for that kind of food. really but you have to find something else to replace it. so fruit is it for me. coz its sweet,, some people would say dont even eat fruit coz its sweet, but for now that is working for me.

liz-lemon-oh-brother.gif

As for your statement, I'm going to go ahead and say you have no idea what you're talking about. Because if you did, you wouldn't compare a "sugar addiction" to a crack addiction.

This... just unbelievable that someone would compare eating too much to crack addiction.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    dieting is much harder than quiting drugs or smoking. if you do drugs or smoke, you put it down and never have to pick it up again....you cant do that with food. and food besides being addictive with sugar,fat, salt.....you have to balance activity with intake. many times this is hard to do with daily life and many of us eat with stress....well, that in itself is a formula for disaster! sugar is a mood elevator, a flavor inhancer, instant energy....these are hard to resist....now lets add...it tastes fantastic!!! midnite cravings, stress relief,.....the lists go on. i can tell you one thing...at my office, Thursday afternoon, the mood is ugly, the staff are biting each others heads off, and i make rounds with hershey kisses....one for each staff member.....in 10 min. they are all smiling and laughing and planning drinks with each otherr after work! cant tell you how many times this has worked.

Seriously? Seriously? You clearly have no knowledge of what drug addicts do to get their high. Please stop spewing completely untrue BS.
  • Inspiring_Sara
    Options

Why exercise? According to her, food eaten after will turn into belly fat cause you know cortisol
    Dr. Peeke has found that the extra calories consumed by the cortisol appetite trigger are converted to fat deposits that gravitate to one area of the body — the waistline. Fat deposits around the abdomen are associated with illnesses such as heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, stroke and cancer. That expanding waistline isn't just a vanity issue; it's a threat to your life!

To avoid gaining toxic pounds, Dr. Peeke advises that we keep cortisol below the appetite-stimulating threshold in our bodies

read the book not segments of it online the entire book is about getting your eating under control the first chapter she talked about how finding new fun activities to do made her not have sweet cravings and keep it under control.
    you can post segments of the whatever but at the end of the day read the freaking book and you'll see the big picture she promotes watching your sugar intake not eliminating it but eliminating any processed foods at all. while finding enjoyable exercise so it doesn't cause your body stress but you have fun doing it.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

I do not believe in sugar addiction wherein a person is ONLY addicted to cakes, cookies, and such, but not addicted to fruit, milk, and yogurt. Your beliefs are your beliefs, but honestly, saying that others look like an *kitten* for pointing out the obvious is just not nice.
  • Inspiring_Sara
    Options
    See my issue right now is that my boyfriend keeps this stuff in the house and has not interest eating healthy so I cant keep it out but I will have to try the gum thing!

This, to me, is the beginning on an excuse. Your boyfriend isn't interested in eating healthy so you can't keep it out of the house, which means you can't control yourself because it's always around.

My other statements still stand however. If you HONESTLY think you're addicted (like alcoholic style), then you should seek professional help. A post on MFP isn't going to help you overcome your addiction. However, if its actually a willpower issue, then you came to the right place to seek advice.

I'm curious though, do you binge like that with friends, family, every time you go out to eat, or is it only when you're alone?

not an excuse it is completely my fault but a lady suggested not putting those things in my house... I am not going to make my boyfriend, friends or family diet bc I am that's all that I said.
  • Acg67
    Options

ead the book not segments of it online the entire book is about getting your eating under control the first chapter she talked about how finding new fun activities to do made her not have sweet cravings and keep it under control.
    you can post segments of the whatever but at the end of the day read the freaking book and you'll see the big picture she promotes watching your sugar intake not eliminating it but eliminating any processed foods at all. while finding enjoyable exercise so it doesn't cause your body stress but you have fun doing it.

What I posted was past statements from her, she is under the belief that eating from cortisol induced hunger turns to fat and stored mainly in the belly region. Since you are so intelligent, you already understand that exercise increases cortisol levels, thus according to her, eating afterwards it would just turn to fat. Sounds legit, no?

And so she encourages no cooking oils, no frozen veggies or fruits, no bottled seasonings or anything? Again, sounds legit
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I do not keep anything sugary or salty a la junk food in my house. I cannot. I will eat it. One serving bags? Nope, I will eat every single on of those bags. The only thing that works for me is to NOT keep them in the house. I know this may not be the best strategy for everyone, but it works for me. I have absolutely no self control when it comes to stuff junk food. So it is best to just cut off the supply completely.

Why not try to teach yourself some self-control? That's what it's going to take in the long run. You can't make everything out of sight, out of mind.

+1
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Do what every other successfully recovered addict I have known has done. Don't put the **** in your body. It worked for me too.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I think 'addiction' now means 'I just wanna eat too much of savory foods'. Like - who doesn't? The trick is, to learn moderation.