Food addiction-Sugar

Options

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    these threads always end up going absolutely no where....

I personally do not believe in sugar addiction.

Then get off here dude seriously if you have nothing positive to say just leave you are ridiculous. You're beliefs are you're beliefs and I respect that but honestly you look like an *kitten* if you have no advice just leave.

Dr. Peeke gives you advice and her method is to get your mind right eat right an exercise and to log everything you do and feel called mind, mouth, movement. So you would be wrong.

Why exercise? According to her, food eaten after will turn into belly fat cause you know cortisol
    Dr. Peeke has found that the extra calories consumed by the cortisol appetite trigger are converted to fat deposits that gravitate to one area of the body — the waistline. Fat deposits around the abdomen are associated with illnesses such as heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, stroke and cancer. That expanding waistline isn't just a vanity issue; it's a threat to your life!

To avoid gaining toxic pounds, Dr. Peeke advises that we keep cortisol below the appetite-stimulating threshold in our bodies

ead the book not segments of it online the entire book is about getting your eating under control the first chapter she talked about how finding new fun activities to do made her not have sweet cravings and keep it under control.
    you can post segments of the whatever but at the end of the day read the freaking book and you'll see the big picture she promotes watching your sugar intake not eliminating it but eliminating any processed foods at all. while finding enjoyable exercise so it doesn't cause your body stress but you have fun doing it.
    Spoken like someone with no idea how the body works. Physical activity stressed the body and raises cortisol levels. Doesn't matter how much "fun" you have doing it. All this woman has done is string a bunch of "sciency" sounding words together to sell a book and make money.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Do what every other successfully recovered addict I have known has done. Don't put the **** in your body. It worked for me too.

You never eat any sugar ever? How do you manage that? Even vegetables have some sugar in them. :ohwell:
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    Ask your Dr to test you for insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome. If you got either of those, seek medical help, moderation aint gonna work for you nor the MFP advice will help you.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I started out by just cutting out the junk food entirely and eating a ton of fruits, vegetables and whole grains. I was always hungry and obsessed with planning out snacks and meals so I could eat constantly but not be over on my calories. Almost my whole day was spent focused on eating or watching the clock until I could eat again.

All of that constant hunger and compulsion to eat -- even if I wasn't really hungry -- changed when I switched to eating low carb because of a family history of heart disease, diabetes and cancer. My appetite and hunger had been so out of whack for so long I didn't even realize there was something physically wrong with me but within a matter of weeks my appetite was normal again. I get hungry, I eat until I'm full and that's it. I just stop eating because I'm not hungry any more and then don't eat again until I am -- the compulsion to eat and keep eating is gone.

It's going on two years now since I've been eating LCHF and as long as I keep the carbs/sugar severely restricted my appetite is normal. I will never go back to trying to "learn moderation" and eating sugar and sweets daily. I save those indulgences strictly for special occasions and then exert willpower to to fight the cravings and hunger that inevitably result and just get back to eating my normal low carb/sugar diet. It's not for everyone and it probably helps that I'm able (and happy) to cook all of my meals but it's the one thing that has worked for me that's sustainable. Calorie counting and working out enough to "afford" those calories wasn't. Best wishes getting a handle on this and figuring out what works for you (that you can live with) no matter what that is.

LCHF for Beginners
    http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Do what every other successfully recovered addict I have known has done. Don't put the **** in your body. It worked for me too.

You never eat any sugar ever? How do you manage that? Even vegetables have some sugar in them. :ohwell:

Sugar and food addicts want to equate their addiction to addiction to drugs and/or alcohol. Ok, fine. If your addiction to sugar or food is like my addiction to alcohol, then the same treatment should work for both. I had to quit using alcohol as a coping mechanisms to deal with all the troubles in my life.

And before the "but you have to eat or you will die" card is played, consider this.... Sugar is just one of the many sources of fuel for the body, just as alcohol is just one of the many sources of hydration for the body. I had to find different sources of hydration, just like a sugar addict needs to find alternate sources for fuel.
  • amm8589
    amm8589 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Last year I gave up sweets and salty foods for Lent. I allowed myself what I considered natural sweets, such as fruit. This way I could have something sweet if I wanted it. I believe it's more of the added sugar that isn't healthy. I still eat things like unsweetened applesauce that I sweeten with Stevia, light & fit greek yogurt, fruit, etc. But gone is my constant craving for chocolate or other sweets, such as cookies, pies, etc. I can honestly say that stuff doesn't even tempt me anymore.

So I guess my advice is to give up "added sugar" and see how that goes for you. Good Luck!
  • Madddonnnaaa
    Options
    I think the whole "sugar addiction" thing is a bunch of baloney. They used to vilify fat, now it's sugar. People love having something to blame. The best advice I can give you is to just not have trigger foods in the house if you are prone to bingeing. But don't eliminate them completely or you'll go nuts. There's no reason to be super restrictive if you're staying under your calorie limit.

I can eat a whole box of sugary cereal and not feel full. Then search the house mindlessly for more sugar. I eat some fat, and I feel full, and stop. I myself am addicted to sugar.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I think the whole "sugar addiction" thing is a bunch of baloney. They used to vilify fat, now it's sugar. People love having something to blame. The best advice I can give you is to just not have trigger foods in the house if you are prone to bingeing. But don't eliminate them completely or you'll go nuts. There's no reason to be super restrictive if you're staying under your calorie limit.

I can eat a whole box of sugary cereal and not feel full. Then search the house mindlessly for more sugar. I eat some fat, and I feel full, and stop. I myself am addicted to sugar.

So can you eat fruit in moderation? What about polysaccharides? What about honey, do you binge on the whole thing?
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options

Yeah, but have you had sex with a stranger for a box of Twinkies?
  • Slaintegrl
    Slaintegrl Posts: 239 Member
    Options

And because you don't believe, no one else is allowed to either?
  • tigersword
    Options

No. You binge on fast absorbing sugars, your blood sugar spikes, your pancreas overcompensates, your blood sugar crashes due to the overcompensation, and your brain screams for sugar in an attempt to correct things.

That's not "addiction." That's called an "unbalanced diet," which leads to health problems.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Sugar and food addicts want to equate their addiction to addiction to drugs and/or alcohol. Ok, fine. If your addiction to sugar or food is like my addiction to alcohol, then the same treatment should work for both. I had to quit using alcohol as a coping mechanisms to deal with all the troubles in my life.

And before the "but you have to eat or you will die" card is played, consider this.... Sugar is just one of the many sources of fuel for the body, just as alcohol is just one of the many sources of hydration for the body. I had to find different sources of hydration, just like a sugar addict needs to find alternate sources for fuel.

I think you missed the point of her post. She and I both understood your first statement to mean "don't put sugar in your body if you're addicted to sugar." Well, that's really hard to do since there's sugar in almost everything. But, it seems that you're on the same page. Congrats on you kicking alcohol addiction to the curb. :flowerforyou:
  • tigersword
    Options

Nope, but because SCIENCE says that there's no such thing as food addiction, then there's no such thing as food addiction. People are free to have their own opinions, but people can't have their own facts.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

No. You binge on fast absorbing sugars, your blood sugar spikes, your pancreas overcompensates, your blood sugar crashes due to the overcompensation, and your brain screams for sugar in an attempt to correct things.

That's not "addiction." That's called an "unbalanced diet," which leads to health problems.
    Your logic is not welcomed here
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    cravings for sweet things can mean you are not getting enough sleep or not sleeping deep enough.
    do you get your 8+ hours everynight?
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options

I don't think anyone should be allowed to believe in an sugar addiction except when the sugar is from fruit, honey, dairy, etc.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options

Also, I can't explain the science behind it, but I think it's widely known around here that protein and fat give you a "full" sensation much better than a meal of carbohydrates.
  • tigersword
    Options

Your logic is not welcomed here

Crap, you're right, sorry. I meant to say this:

oh-noes-everybody-panic.gif
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options

^^This. Learn how your body works when you eat that cereal before calling it an "addiction".
  • jmarcin78
    jmarcin78 Posts: 34
    Options
    I do not keep anything sugary or salty a la junk food in my house. I cannot. I will eat it. One serving bags? Nope, I will eat every single on of those bags. The only thing that works for me is to NOT keep them in the house. I know this may not be the best strategy for everyone, but it works for me. I have absolutely no self control when it comes to stuff junk food. So it is best to just cut off the supply completely.

Why not try to teach yourself some self-control? That's what it's going to take in the long run. You can't make everything out of sight, out of mind.

This is my form of self control, not keeping it in the house. I practice self control every time I go to the grocery store and not buy these things. You know how hard that is? If I can get out of the store without buying a bag of Cheetos or the half/off Valentines candy, then I WIN.

The form of self control you are talking about is one that does not work for me as I am indeed an out-of-sight-out-of-mind type of person. I know what works for me and I am passing the knowledge on the OP. So spare me your judgment.