Intuitive Eating

Options

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Awesome for you. Maybe you should go find an intuitive eating website to post on and not a calorie counting site.

I wasn't rude in anything I said or any of my replies. I just wanted to put it out there that other things can work too for people who might find counting calories to be stressful or obsessive. Like myself. I become obsessive when I try to count calories to the T.

No need to be mad or rude that this works for me and I wanted to share in case others might take interest in it or find it helpful.

Really? Nasty Obsession, well isn't that just full of sunshine.

If you insult what a website is primarily geared to be used for, don't expect a pat on the back doll.

I think MFP had a slightly broader view of what they wanted from this website than your narrow interpretation.

These are office statements from MFP

The general forum.

'We want the MyFitnessPal Community to be a fun, supportive, and friendly place for our members and we ask that all members follow our site guidelines:'

The website:

• Flexibility
    - our system can support any diet like Atkins, the South Beach Diet, the Zone, and more. No matter what diet you're on, we can help.

Maybe it's you who should find a more - restricted community forum!!!
  • wijody
    wijody Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    "Intuitive Eating" as in eating whenever I feel like it doesn't work. However, using intermittent fasting and/or a 'no snacking' rule along with the 'intuitive' part being that I don't STUFF myself or gorge when I eat DOES work for me. I got that idea years ago from the 'Slimfast Diet' ... the old slogan was have a shake for breakfast, lunch, and a 'sensible dinner'. SO I got the idea that I could eat 700 calories + one meal. That was my 'diet' - a hybrid of calorie counting an intuitive eating. I've also done 'eating 2 meals/no snacks' (quite fast weightloss) and 'eat 3x per day/no snacks' (slower weightloss, more sustainable). So yes, I do believe you can lose by following some sort of hybrid type program where it feels intuitive. But I think it's really hard to do if you also allow snacks - because that can really add up the calories.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    If it works and is safe. Use it. If it don't work or is not safe, do something else. Calorie counting when done correctly will work especially when measuring is used. I personally don't use a food scale but try to be as careful as possible in my guess-timations. So far it seems to have worked. A person who continually tracks calories but does not achieve the goals they are striving for (despite the numbers showing they should), should invest in the scales and measuring devices. Like I say, if it works continue what you are doing; if not, try the safe proven method.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Finally, someone who gets it. Counting calories is a nasty obsession, but for those who are consuming WAY over the recommended amount, it's a good idea. But even then it should be a rough estimate. Intuitive eating is what we're meant to do. We should listen to our bodies and eat what the body wants. Of course, people who have struggled with binge eating/restriction (anorexia) should probably not start with intuitive eating right away, as the need to consume food (usually comfort food) or ignore hunger stems from emotional needs.

Counting calories can be helpful for those trying to establish healthy eating habits whether they were over or under eating. There is a lot to be learned doing so but at some point, intuitive eating should take over. I view counting calories as an exercise in nutrition and a tool that leads to healthy eating. Unfortunately, some get hung up on the 'calories' without learning how to actually eat healthy.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I didn't have the ability to distinguish between real hunger and emotional hunger.

^^THIS is good insight. And I 100% agree.

I personally can maintain without counting calories IF I eat vegan. But my doctor hates what it does to my bloodwork. So I added back meat and dairy, and unfortunately I have to count if I don't want to gain.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success!
  • Seabee74
    Seabee74 Posts: 314
    Options
    When I joined mfp here I was told it was a calorie counting way of losing weight and getting healthy.. I can't believe some of what has been written here about not counting calories. What are you people doing here anyway ? Good luck to you however you get healthy but to come Here and then disagree with those here "counting calories" is beyond understanding !!! I'm thinking that those of you that are not following mfp but are logged into mfp Should be losing all the friends that you "might" have that are on here to count calories !!! Once again good luck !
  • bwats33
    bwats33 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Counting calories is a great way to learn how to eat intuitively. When I first started losing weight, I would methodically count calories, but after I learned appropriate serving sizes and got a rough idea of the calorie content of most of the foods I eat (gained through the experience of counting calories), I've found I'm logging calories less and less. I'm still losing at the same rate.

Granted calorie counting is more scientific and will be far more accurate since it's taking most of the 'human error' out of the equation.
  • PolacaFL
    PolacaFL Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    My intuition is no bueno. It tells me to eat a lot more than I can afford. :sad: Which is why I'm here now.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    When I joined mfp here I was told it was a calorie counting way of losing weight and getting healthy.. I can't believe some of what has been written here about not counting calories. What are you people doing here anyway ? Good luck to you however you get healthy but to come Here and then disagree with those here "counting calories" is beyond understanding !!! I'm thinking that those of you that are not following mfp but are logged into mfp Should be losing all the friends that you "might" have that are on here to count calories !!! Once again good luck !

I certainly did not mean to imply that there was anything wrong with counting calories only that sometimes the forest is missed for the trees. Now, MFP is simply a tracking tool to be used as desired for calories in and calories out. There are as many ways to use it as there are folks here. I personally am tracking calories both in and out. Others are tracking only sugar, or only sodium or whatever they are interested in. As far as losing all the friends here, I personally don't have any likely because my diary is closed and I don't respond to friend requests. There is nothing to say you have to have friends to use this site. Others respondents can validate their position, if they so choose. Good luck on your fitness journey.
  • mazmataz
    mazmataz Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Hey!

I'm the person who posted the original IE post last week. I just came on to say that I thought that your post was great, thank you for sharing.

Shame on the person who told you to post elsewhere, what awful, rude behaviour - but nothing surprises me with these forums anymore. It seems that the only place where people are nice is over in success stories.

Anyway totally not interested in getting involved with another MFP BS debate where everyone is suddenly a scientist. Just wanted to say thank you!! :flowerforyou:
  • Teenie71
    Teenie71 Posts: 52
    Options
    Amen to this poster..thanks!

I left my fitness pal a few months ago. SOOOO burned out on counting calories. So tired of the posts of "not losing" people struggling to "maintain"… depressing. And the thought of living the rest of my life doing that? No Thanks.

I too am back. I log estimated stuff…and at the end of the day. I know how to eat healthy and exercise. It works without the mental strain of having to count F O R E V E R.

I think we should look at "dieting" more as being at maintenance. Do what you'd do to maintain your goal weight..

I agree!! ^^ I became obsessed with counting too so i stopped. And there is no way i will do it forever. NO thank you. The only time i MIGHT log calories is if i'm going out to dinner or something and would like to see how much my meal is in advance.

And for Seebee74, there are other things to do on MFP besides logging calories....like checking out success stories, getting fitness tips, reading the blogs, etc. And i'm not dissing people who log, i've done it and it worked but i dont need to anymore.
  • mazmataz
    mazmataz Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Amen to this poster..thanks!

I left my fitness pal a few months ago. SOOOO burned out on counting calories. So tired of the posts of "not losing" people struggling to "maintain"… depressing. And the thought of living the rest of my life doing that? No Thanks.

I too am back. I log estimated stuff…and at the end of the day. I know how to eat healthy and exercise. It works without the mental strain of having to count F O R E V E R.

I think we should look at "dieting" more as being at maintenance. Do what you'd do to maintain your goal weight..

I agree!! ^^ I became obsessed with counting too so i stopped. And there is no way i will do it forever. NO thank you. The only time i MIGHT log calories is if i'm going out to dinner or something and would like to see how much my meal is in advance.

And for Seebee74, there are other things to do on MFP besides logging calories....like checking out success stories, getting fitness tips, reading the blogs, etc. And i'm not dissing people who log, i've done it and it worked but i dont need to anymore.

Also loving both of these posts! :flowerforyou:
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    You're absolutely right! It's definitely possible to lose weight without counting calories. I lost 80 lbs before I started logging, logged for a short time before deciding it isn't that helpful for me, and have continued losing just fine since stopping.

But some people don't have the level of understanding that is needed for what you're suggesting. They need the calorie counting to understand what their body needs, and what they are actually eating. People tend to underestimate the calories in their food, so counting calories and weighing food helps them know what 200 calories of chicken looks like, for instance.

People need to do what works for them, that will help them understand how they gained weight in the first place, and how they can keep it off long-term. For a lot of people, counting calories is a necessary way of developing this.

Well done on your success!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Hey!

I'm the person who posted the original IE post last week. I just came on to say that I thought that your post was great, thank you for sharing.

Shame on the person who told you to post elsewhere, what awful, rude behaviour - but nothing surprises me with these forums anymore. It seems that the only place where people are nice is over in success stories.

Anyway totally not interested in getting involved with another MFP BS debate where everyone is suddenly a scientist. Just wanted to say thank you!! :flowerforyou:

no one told the OP to post anywhere else..she was questioned over what she posted...some of you people are way to hypersensitive..

What was questioned, was the logic of posting about not counting calories, on a calorie counting site....
  • NereyaRanVihn
    NereyaRanVihn Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hey, glad that IE works for you. Keep it up! But I would really like to know why you refer to stubbornness as a Swedish trait. I´m all Swedish (moved to the US about three years ago) and I don´t think my people are more stubborn than others. I'm not offended, just curious. :smile:
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    It seems that the only place where people are nice is over in success stories.

So true!

Success Stories
    OP: I lost a 100lbs in 6 months and have kept it off.
    Posters: Congratulations! You look amazing!

General Diet and Weight Loss Help
    Posters. How are you not dead? That's impossible! See you on way back up! *insert snarky gif*

LOL!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    It seems that the only place where people are nice is over in success stories.

So true!

Success Stories
    Posters: Congratulations! You look amazing!

General Diet and Weight Loss Help
    Posters. How are you not dead? That's impossible! See you on way back up! *insert snarky gif*

LOL!

Wrong...

Plenty is questioned in the Success Story forums. The only difference is, ANY negativity and the post or complete thread is deleted. So you never even see it.
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    MFP is not just a calorie counting site... When I joined, I didn't read anywhere saying I had to use all of the available features. I choose not to use the site for calorie counting anymore, but the site is still useful. I can log my workouts, water intake and also my measurements without using the calorie counter.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    There is a huge misunderstanding about "intuitive eating" here.

In order to do so successfully you have to learn to differentiate between true hunger and emotional hunger, or just cravings.

People who think every single supposed hunger cue is actually true hunger, vs a desire for a specific food only (like chocolate), or a desire to squelch, or enhance, an emotion aren't suited for eating this way.

Intuitive eating is not "eat everytime I feel like it", and if done right your body is NOT truly "hungry" for cookies and ice cream all day long.

It also doesn't mean that you can't limit foods that throw off your cues. The first time I ever experienced intuitive eating was after discovering low carb. It was the only plan that allowed me to differentiate between cravings and actual hunger. It was interesting to discover that sometimes the intense cravings I had were completely separate from a true hunger. I know this because when I was actually hungry I could be easily satisfied with some baked chicken and a well seasoned side of buttered broccoli. Cravings, on the other hand, demanded ice cream, cake, cookie, etc. Once I learned the difference it was easy to tell, regardless of whether I listened or not.

Also be prepared because if you actually learn true hunger, you might be surprised that your body doesn't ask for food nearly as often as you believe. Be careful what you ask for LOL!