Do you think it's possible to go from size 16 to 10-12?

Options

Replies

• raegail
    raegail Posts: 1
    Options
    Yes it is possible! The hard part is keeping it off! Work hard and focus more on being healthy instead of on being a certain size!
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Not wearing dresses, but as a guy I've gone from a 40 inch waist to a 33 inch waist.
    Why the hell not?
  • lovekohl
    lovekohl Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Yes, very possible! I started at a 16 and have been down to an 8 in the past. I'm hoping to get down to a 10 this time.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I really thought, OP, that I wasn't built to be lighter than 140 or smaller than a size 8.

Now I'm a size 2-4 and I weigh 125.

I think sometimes it's hard for us to imagine ourselves smaller, but that doesn't mean it isn't possible.
  • iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Yes ma'am it is! I was 18/20 only 6 months ago, now working my way into 12's. Even bought a pair of 9/10 jeans that I'm so close to being able to wear, few more pounds!

I used to think the same thing, I'd never be a 12 or a 10...but now I can see 8's in my near future! It's totally do able, just keep pushing on, never quit, its all you can do!!
  • Monty_P
    Monty_P Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Getting down to a 10 sounds do-able. I've gone from a UK 16-18 down to a 6-8 and I thought my bones would never fit in any clothes that small.

That's amazing, I'm currently a size 12 and I feel like my bones will never fit into anything smaller!
  • AbsolutelyAnnie
    AbsolutelyAnnie Posts: 2,695 Member
    Options
    I am counting on it! :-)

A hundred years ago when I worked at Bloomingdale's, I know that sizes varied wildly from one designer or brand to another. I'd have customers say that they only wore so-and-so designer because they could wear a smaller size. HAH! It has been a very long time since I wore a clothing size that didn't involve more than one X, so I am not entirely sure how sizes are working these days, let alone what you people in the UK are up to with your numbers.

But here is what I do know: Size does not matter. At least not with clothes. It's how you feel in your clothes, and perhaps how you feel out of them. Designers and manufacturers monkey with the numbers to make consumers feel better. Do not base your goal on a size. Even a weight number can be tricky. I don't know your height, but you don't look like you've got an unusually big frame. In fact, you look like you might be tiny under there. (My opinion. Your milage may vary.)

Over the course of this post I've noticed a couple of things you have said. 1) "...if I work for it" and 2) "...don't want it to take years and years." It will take as long as it takes. Remember that 1-2 pounds weekly is a healthy and worthy goal and a pretty rapid one, too. Losing 2 stone should take you at least 14 weeks and probably longer if you are being wise about it. If you loose at a faster rate you may have more trouble keeping it off. And yes, you will have to work for it. Yes, you will.

You are young and you will likely have a much easier time than this elderly woman. Do it now, while you are young. If you change direction now and create a healthy active lifestyle, your older self will thank you. Promise.
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    It's possible. I started at 220 and size 18 pants, XL shirts one year ago. Last weekend, I bought some new clothes, and most of the tops were size M, and bottoms size 12!
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm at size 16 now (186 lbs) but when I thin down (140ish) I tend to be size 10. And I have big hips so yeah I would say size 10-12 is totally do-able.
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Yes you can do it when you put your mind too it.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Of course it's possible. I am not speaking from personal experience here but judging by the women I've known and met on this site it seems like ALMOST any woman can get down to even a 6-8 at some point. I think only sizes like 0-4 are actually unattainable for many, based on build. And YES I know there are exceptions to every rule ;-)

I personally have been in between sizes 20-24 for almost my entire adult life. At times with certain brands I would get into an 18 and thought that was amazing for me personally. Now that I have been on MFP for a year I am a size 14 and starting to eye 12's. Just ordered some juniors 13 pants yesterday and I know they will fit me.

I'm still around 192 lb. Prior to starting MFP, I would have guessed that given my height (5'8") and wide hips etc, even at 160 lb I'd still be a 14. Totally wrong. I have no real idea but I'm pretty sure if I get into the 170s I'll be in a 10/12 (based on how 14s fit me at 192 lb).

You won't know (nor will I) until you get there :-)
  • thesimsisters
    thesimsisters Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Yes! You can totally do it! I've went from a US size 24 to now 10 or 12 depending on the brand. I'm not totally where I want to be back at yet but I hope to get to my "goal" weight and do some more body recompositions. Might even have a 8 or even 6 in my future lol!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why this wouldn't be possible.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!! the first time I lost weight I went from a size 18 to a 4.
  • CheeksBryant
    CheeksBryant Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    If I went from a size 26 to an 18, and still losing...yes, you'd be surprised what your body is "built for". Don't let that stay in your head. The question is, "are you up to it?"
  • NessaWilde
    NessaWilde Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I went from a size 12/14 to a size 4. You can do it :)
  • kborton1122
    kborton1122 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    You can do anything you put your mind to. I went from a size 24 to a 6! Work hard and you can definately do it!
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    <--- Pear shaped, 5'7"

went from a size 18 to a size 8 (not just from MFP, I started off with WW & Curves). Working on getting to a size 6. :drinker:
  • Curvygalslim
    Curvygalslim Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Am 200 pounds hope I get to where you are.#inspired
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Of course it is!!!! Lets Do it!