Sugar

Options
123457»

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Refined sugar is bad for you, however, some natural sugar is necessary.
    In trying to eliminate refined sugar this week (including fruits) and, missed a whole day of work.
    Two days ago, I was fatigued and cranky. Yesterday morning, I was panting, feeling overheated and, faint.
    I had allowed my blood sugar to get too low.
    I didn't feel normal again until hours later after drinking apple and orange juices.

It's good to cut out the sugar, just make sure it's the right kind.

You can check out various Diabetes websites to see a listing of fruits that have enough just sugar to keep you balanced.

Try grapefruit!

Just like the posters said above, become a label reader you'd be surprised; very many of the packaged products you eat, even the ones that are not sweet, do contain sugar. Try to stick to whole foods.
    You'll go through a withdrawal but, at the end of two weeks, your cravings will not be quite as strong.

Are you diabetic or have another medical condition?
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    How does one go "cold turkey" from sugar and then continue to eat it in fruit, milk, etc.? Cold turkey refers to stopping something entirely. This argument makes me very tired.
    Cold turkey from sugar the molecule makes no sense. Cold turkey from certain sweet foods that trigger compulsive eating because of their hedonic value does.

The 'anti' crowd who like to be so literal with the term 'sugar addiction' make ME very tired. :yawn:

and the I can eat fruit and honey all day, but added sugar is evil crowd is just as boorish ....

What the OP talked about in her second post was sugary food, not sugar the compound. It's clearly not the compound that people appear to have an issue with. I don't see the relevance of comparing eating fruit to eating something with added sugar because I doubt that fruit has the same hedonic value as a sugary cake. For example, I don't see people posting fruit salad in the OMG SUGAR thread; instead it's delicious baked goods that contain refined sugar.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1225072-omg-sugar-oh-no-bad

If someone genuinely feels that have an issue with control of certain sugary foods, and there is evidence that some people may be biologically susceptible, why not cut them a little slack?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

like, say, obesity ?
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Refined sugar is bad for you

No, it is not...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

like, say, obesity ?
    Do we really want to consider obesity a medical condition or an outcome of poor eating habits?

Diabetes, hypothyroidism, PCOS, POTS, etc...
  • Sugabug75
    Sugabug75 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Not that I know of.
    Like the original poster, I'm trying to reduce my daily sugar intake. Since I got dizzy after the second day, I checked my food log and, saw that my sugar number was pretty low. I ascertained that low blood sugar was the problem.
    Since I began adding in fruit, everything has been fine.
  • Sugabug75
    Sugabug75 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Fruit juice is a good way to raise low blood sugar. I learned this from a friend who has Type 1 Diabetes.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    In.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    We need food to live, we don't need drugs or alcohol. Food addiction is becoming an excuse, you will always need to consume food. Therefore, you're going to HAVE to develop some form of self-control and self-regulate intake. Food man, you can't escape it

Unless...photosynthesis. Plants know where it's at.

That reminds me, I heard of a small cult of people who insist they can live off sunlight and air alone

If I recall correctly, the human Barbie doll does this. I read an article on her awhile ago but didn't keep the link.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Fruit juice is a good way to raise low blood sugar. I learned this from a friend who has Type 1 Diabetes.
    Of course it is, it's practically pure liquid sugar, so it's very rapidly absorbed.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I've seen very little help and a lot of judgement on this topic.
    I think just about all of us have a problem with discipline and moderation --- Otherwise we wouldn't be on this site. The idea is to help one another, not judge.
    I can relate to the whole sugar addiction problem. I've have a problem with it ever since I used to smuggle m&ms into grammar school and I'm pushing 60 now. I've tried moderation, but I have a tendency to go hog wild. It is very hard to quit after just one. It's even harder to go without sugar altogether, especially chocolate.
    My best advice is to try your very best to find what works for YOU. What works best for me is fireballs. They're low in calories and I can suck on one of them for a long time, so they give me a good sugar hit. To satisfy my chocolate craving, I'll have a cup of hot cocoa. Since it's hot, it takes me a while to drink it and it's not like eating chocolate kisses where I'm tempted to eat one after another until the whole bag is gone. And believe me, I can do that. Does that make me a bad person? Weak and undisciplined? No --- It makes me HUMAN.

Folks are here for a multitude of reasons not just because they may have a problem with discipline or moderation. I personally have a problem with neither and am here to basically improve my fitness level which also includes improving on what is already a fairly healthy diet. There tends to be a focus on weight loss rather than fitness but the purpose of MFP is fitness which may or may not include weight loss.