Foam Rollers Yay or Nay?

Options
So Foam Rollers;

A) I just found out they existed

B) I am not that sure what they do or the benefits

So are they worth it, what do i do with it if i get one and any tips etc on this topic?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    Worth it. Youtube has lots of vids to show you how to roll out sore/tight muscles.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Devasation
    Devasation Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Totally worth it.

Tips? When using it, you're going to be slowly rolling a body part over the roller...when you find the spot that is absolute agony, i.e., a knot in a muscle, (and it will hurt), stop right there, and apply as much pressure as you can stand until the pain subsides.

Move on until find the next knot, repeat. Have fun.
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I say yay, but not everyone likes them. There are plenty of videos on youtube concerning their use, but, as always, be careful with youtube. Some of them come with an instructional dvd. If you use one you will develop a love/hate relationship with it. I use mine to help release my glutes and hip flexors.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    YES!

I use them after long runs of 15 miles or more.....it hurts like hell, but afterwords you feel ohhhh so good!
  • ashleysarvi
    Options
    I like mine, it hurts like heck at first but then it starts to feel good. and SUPPOSEDLY it reduces cellulite appearance. That sold me! I still don't know if that part actually works but hey worth a shot! But its great for the muscles.
  • LTKeegan
    LTKeegan Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Oh hells yes!!!

They do light massage type work. They realign fibers(?) and you basically just roll on them. I like to roll out my back and my legs, I sometimes find I need a lacrosse ball to do some more precise work.

Foam rolling is apparently different than stretching, and works awesomely in conjunction with stretching! :D
  • LTKeegan
    Options
    YES!

I use them after long runs of 15 miles or more.....it hurts like hell, but afterwords you feel ohhhh so good!

Just FYI, I went to massage the other day and the massage therapist said that if it hurts toooo much then you can actually be causing inflammation and you need to wait until things settle down then foam roll. Not sure how badly it hurts you when you foam roll, but I was nearly crying when trying to foam roll out my quads and he told me to lay off and take a hot bath when that is the case.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    YES!

Just FYI, I went to massage the other day and the massage therapist said that if it hurts toooo much then you can actually be causing inflammation and you need to wait until things settle down then foam roll. Not sure how badly it hurts you when you foam roll, but I was nearly crying when trying to foam roll out my quads and he told me to lay off and take a hot bath when that is the case.

I'm no where near that point LOL. I don't think I would be doing anything if I was close to crying because of the pain.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I am in LOVE with my foam roller! It hurts so good!
  • annie61702
    annie61702 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in this, too. Any recommendations on brands? Especially available on Amazon, since I have prime shipping. Thanks!
  • dixoncrew
    dixoncrew Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    YES!

A hot bath? Seriously? That would just increase inflammation and make it hurt worse. Alrighty then.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I've heard they are totally worth the cost and change your life. I can't wait to get one! Saving up right now!
  • mlh37214
    mlh37214 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    My chiropractor recommended one and I got it, but I am so uncoordinated that I have trouble with it for my thighs and lower legs. And I weigh enough, that putting my body weight on it to massage out soreness just hurts. I don't like it at all. I have friends that swear by them, though!

On the other hand, when I told her that I was having trouble, she recommended what she called "the stick." It's found in the same area of the store and looks like a rolling pin with foam around it, spaced out. I love it and use it most days!! When I looked online to see what it's actually called, ****'s has it listed as "massage roller."
  • chard_muncher
    chard_muncher Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I say nay because they're too expensive. I feel like I get the same effect from stretching normally. Just my 2 cents.
  • LTKeegan
    Options
    YES!

A hot bath? Seriously? That would just increase inflammation and make it hurt worse. Alrighty then.

He said taking a hot bath can help increase blood flow and can help relax the muscles. Which is consistent with medical literature. Cold is for acute injury, heat is for sore muscles. So far, its helping.
  • LTKeegan
    Options
    I've heard they are totally worth the cost and change your life. I can't wait to get one! Saving up right now!
    I say nay because they're too expensive. I feel like I get the same effect from stretching normally. Just my 2 cents.

Also, mine was $15. How much do they cost where you live?
  • mlh37214
    mlh37214 Posts: 517 Member
    Options

On the other hand, when I told her that I was having trouble, she recommended what she called "the stick." It's found in the same area of the store and looks like a rolling pin with foam around it, spaced out. I love it and use it most days!! When I looked online to see what it's actually called, ****'s has it listed as "massage roller."

That bleeped out portion is the name of a Sporting Good's store. LOL
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    And when you say "feel" you mean "blindly assume without having anything but a biased opinion due to cost". Correct?

Stretching and foam rolling are different animals entirely.

OP: foam rolling is great but it can be hard to get past the pain. The benefits are tremendous.
  • annie61702
    annie61702 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    This seems like a pretty good video, but I don't have personal experience. I'm still wondering which one to order. I hope someone will post some feedback on that. Thanks!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=khC5J1lkC7s&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DkhC5J1lkC7s
  • hollyheard
    Options
    Sometimes you just really need to knead thise muscles like dough... yes!