Foam Rollers Yay or Nay?

Options

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Yay! I use mine after almost every run......

You may also want to look at "the stick", I haven't used one myself but they seem to be well regarded at the triathlon club I belong to.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I would marry a foam roller if I could.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I say nay because they're too expensive. I feel like I get the same effect from stretching normally. Just my 2 cents.

They're also like $15 where I live. I do yoga 3x per week and stretch the rest of the days. I get nothing like the benefit of the foam roller. Totally different animals for me.
  • Bun_Ya
    Bun_Ya Posts: 174
    Options
    Yes BUT you can make them yourself for next to nothing (in my opinion). A full 2ltr bottle, a length of plastic piping etc.
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    For the price they're definitely worth it, I got mine for £10 and it's great
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Yes they are worth it!

I used to use one at the gym after most workouts, it was amazing. Hurt like hell but did so much good for tight muscles. Youtube videos can be very useful.

Since then I've bought my own so I don't have to go to the gym to foam roll if I don't have a workout that day. They're very cheap, I only paid £10 for mine.
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Yes yes yes. I have learned they are the key to no be too sore. The rumble type are my favorite but I agree those are pricey. Anywhere btw $30 to $50 (even online). I eventually will buy one though.
  • _db_
    _db_ Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Yup. A very good $30 investment. I use it for 5-10 minutes after a run and almost never experience muscle tightness.
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Definitely yes. Got mine on Amazon as well, for about $30. Love it!
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    good stuff
  • tegalicious
    tegalicious Posts: 629
    Options
    Yay! I use mine after almost every run......

You may also want to look at "the stick", I haven't used one myself but they seem to be well regarded at the triathlon club I belong to.

I have the stick and a foam roller! The stick is my new favorite muscle torture device! And I say that with love! The stick helps you get really deep into the muscles, much deeper than the foam roller. It is especially good for those hard to reach hip flexors!
  • LauraCarlson86
    Options
    Oh my gosh....they are SO worth it.

I tend to have a lot of soreness and tight muscles after my workouts...to the point where it's painful to walk or sit (haha). Foam rolling has helped me relieve this soreness and loosen up a great deal. I DEFINITELY reccommend getting one. You can find them for cheap and they work wonders!!!!

Usually if I am especially sore, I will use the foam roller on the specific area before AND after the workout and it's almost immediate relief.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    yep foam roller is great...also have a stick that helps.. another tool i use for spot massages is a tennis ball..you can really dig into the knots
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    SOOOOOO worth it!!! I got mine at Walmart for about $30.
  • BeckyMBisMe
    BeckyMBisMe Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Oh my, the 1st thing I thought of when I read the title were those awful foam rollers my mom used to put in my hair on Saturday nights! LOL I'm soooo old!
    But seriously, I've heard good things about the foam roller for exercise. I may get one myself.
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00GZXYJ8A?vs=1

This is the one I have. Not crazy expensive, long enough to roll both quads out, and gets the job done. I'm pretty sure my gym bought the same one.
  • mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Absolutely worth it, cured my knee problem which I had resigned myself to thinking was a ligament injury. Turned out just a tight IT band and such a simple exercise has meant I can now run with enjoyment knowing if it happens again there's a great way to cure it
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I use one on my back and legs after a lifting session, Chiropractor said it's great for the back.

I.C.E. Cream Official Tester
    IKEA Professional Put Together-er
    Kickboxing Class Attender
    Been in fitness for about 2 years and have studied kinesiology, nutrition and Dinosaurs
  • Alehmer
    Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Love my Rumble Roller, but it's not for the faint of heart

RumbleRoller_display.png?1735

I had chronic knee pain after ACL surgery, went through PT, was getting strong again but it just wouldn't go away. Tried regular foam rollers but they weren't quite 'getting in there' enough. Got this beauty, and though it feels like the medieval torture device it appears to be, NEVER have I experienced such a fast or complete reduction in pain and stiffness. Use it on the regular now for everything from back knots to shoulders to legs. Wouldn't go without one.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    YES YES YES- two if you can stomach it! Target jsut beefed their line up of rollers- they had like 4 different ones last time I went- I was so excited.

They are NOT all created equal- I need something more dense/tough for certain areas and then for my IT bands- something softer- just can't take the hefty ones.

Best thing you can buy for your body outside massage/body work on a weekly basis!