Foam Rollers Yay or Nay?

Options

Replies

• asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is definitely worth it.

I am going to warn you, though. If you have small children, you will want to make sure they are not within hearing distance the first time you use it. There is no telling what may come out of your mouth. Lol!
  • kittyswing
    kittyswing Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yay! BUT OH MY IT HURTS.
  • fittlefattle
    Options
    Dooo eeeet!

Months ago I got a little crazy on the treadmill and really, really jacked myself up. I was not fit, I was trying to get fit though. Anyway, I did too much and with poor form and I ended up with what I thought was a knee injury. I was scared to death that I did something really bad, something that I might not be able to undo. I was going down stairs sideways because it hurt to use stairs, I was limping, soaking in Epsom salt, stretching, etc. Nothing. Finally I got my hands on a tiger tail roller and started by using it only on my legs. It hurt. A lot. But---the next day I noticed improvement for the first time! I could not believe a simple device like that would help such pain so quickly. I kept using it night after night and within a week or so my knee didn't hurt anymore. I now know that I didn't have an actual knee injury, but it sure felt like I did.

Anyhoo, all that to say I think they are amazing little things. I continue to use it and it doesn't hurt anymore.
  • JenToms80
    JenToms80 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Definately yes!
    It will hurt when you find that knot but it will be worth it! :drinker:
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    yes yes yes!!!!

I'm a HUGE FAN!

and if you REALLY want to take things to then next level use the triggerpoint ballers :) Hurts so good
  • flyygirl802
    flyygirl802 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Very worth it! It hurts like hell at first, but there is so much benefit to them. Just push through and keep with it.
  • jessicasloan91
    jessicasloan91 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I've heard they are totally worth the cost and change your life. I can't wait to get one! Saving up right now!

Saving up? I paid £5 for mine :/
  • carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I always liked the foam roller, but only recently read about how very beneficial it is for the muscle tissue. While stretching (yoga, pilates, and other forms of stretching) works on the length of the muscles, foam rolling works on the quality & density of the muscles - which is equally important. My trainer has me roll out quads and hamstrings when we're doing a lot of squats, to help the muscles support my knees better. I also roll out low & mid back when we've been doing a lot of core and shoulder work, to aid in recovery. I find it very, very helpful.
  • AbbyCar
    AbbyCar Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I just bought one at TJ Maxx for $12.99!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Yes. Tennis balls are also a good resource.
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    a resounding yes, totally worth it
  • kimkay1985
    kimkay1985 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Love it! I also use mine to do some core exercises. I lay on it so it is parallel to my spine. You have to engage your core to keep balanced.
  • tegalicious
    tegalicious Posts: 629
    Options
    Love my Rumble Roller, but it's not for the faint of heart

RumbleRoller_display.png?1735

I had chronic knee pain after ACL surgery, went through PT, was getting strong again but it just wouldn't go away. Tried regular foam rollers but they weren't quite 'getting in there' enough. Got this beauty, and though it feels like the medieval torture device it appears to be, NEVER have I experienced such a fast or complete reduction in pain and stiffness. Use it on the regular now for everything from back knots to shoulders to legs. Wouldn't go without one.

Where....did....you....find....this....glorious.......looking.....device?????
  • akrnrunner
    akrnrunner Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Yay!!!!
  • bipsqueen
    bipsqueen Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have a foam roller but haven't tried using it, I think you all may have given me the motivation to do so!
  • meeulk
    meeulk Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Buy it! I got one from Target for around $24 and it came with a DVD on recommended uses.

Edited to add... I want a RUMBLE ROLLER!!!
  • kathystrauss1
    kathystrauss1 Posts: 142 Member
    Options

I had chronic knee pain after ACL surgery, went through PT, was getting strong again but it just wouldn't go away. Tried regular foam rollers but they weren't quite 'getting in there' enough. Got this beauty, and though it feels like the medieval torture device it appears to be, NEVER have I experienced such a fast or complete reduction in pain and stiffness. Use it on the regular now for everything from back knots to shoulders to legs. Wouldn't go without one.

Do you think this is worth it over just the regular foam roller? The price is WAY more but if it's a lot better I'd spring for it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Do you think this is worth it over just the regular foam roller? The price is WAY more but if it's a lot better I'd spring for it.

wine bottle- baseball bat- pvc pipe- all about the same LOL
    Where....did....you....find....this....glorious.......looking.....device?????
    di*ks sporting goods
    target has a new one that's pretty close to it
    also try a Tiger Tail- it's much more narrow- and instead of using body weight you hold- press down and roll with your hands.
  • lLionMindl
    lLionMindl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    YAY
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    YES!!!

totally worth the $15 they cost. And yes, it hurts like a b!tch, but then feels soooo good. :happy: