(Humor) What's your most ridiculous fad diet?

Options
13»

Replies

• wiseg2
    wiseg2 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried this one but "the cookie diet". I like cookies as much as the next person but I think it would get old after awhile and it seems pretty ridiculous. I saw the ad for it on this site.
  • raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Besides Phen-fen, there are way too many crazy magazine diets of the month to remember:laugh:
    The worst was grapefruit, Tuna, boiled eggs and green beans..nothing else for 3 week.
    I think all I lost must have been my mind:laugh:
    All the patches, drops, dropps pills and even a spray. OMG :embarassed: I have wasted thousands of dollars over the years.
    I made up my mind...NO MORE!
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,424 Member
    Options
    Oh college was a breeding ground for fad diets! We did the cabbage soup diet (7 girls in one house eating cabbage soup-need I say more???!!) and the banana, egg and hot dog diet where day one you ate 9 bananas, day 2 9 eggs, day 3 9 hot dogs and day 4 (oo what a treat!) 3 bananas, 3 eggs and 3 hot dogs! To this day, hot dogs make me gag.

Of course as a grownup I tried South Beach (I"m not very pleasant without carbs), Slim Fast and assorted others.
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    My sis and I in high school pioneered the Diet Dr Pepper diet- a can of diet dr pepper every time you get hungry, and 1 reasonable meal at dinnertime.

I had a friend that accepted (and won) a bet that he couldn't live off of dark beer alone for 3 months.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    The WORST diet I tried was these pills you took before eating. They were advertised as "hunger suppressants" but I found out the hard way all they were was was a substance that swelled as soon as water disolved the outter shell. So taking up room in your stomach so you wouldn't eat as much.
    One got stuck in my throat and swelled . . . it was one of the scariest moments of my life because I couldn't get it out and I really thought I was going to choke to death. My husband did the heimlich on me and only then did it finally dislodge.
    Very scary! I bought 30 days worth and this was day 2 . . . they immediately went into the garbage!
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    The WORST diet I tried was these pills you took before eating. They were advertised as "hunger suppressants" but I found out the hard way all they were was was a substance that swelled as soon as water disolved the outter shell. So taking up room in your stomach so you wouldn't eat as much.
    One got stuck in my throat and swelled . . . it was one of the scariest moments of my life because I couldn't get it out and I really thought I was going to choke to death. My husband did the heimlich on me and only then did it finally dislodge.
    Very scary! I bought 30 days worth and this was day 2 . . . they immediately went into the garbage!

OH MY GOSH.....these are AWFUL! How flippin scary is this???????? Well I am glad he did the heimlich and you were ok...OMGosh
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options

OH MY GOSH.....these are AWFUL! How flippin scary is this???????? Well I am glad he did the heimlich and you were ok...OMGosh
  • StephieWheats
    StephieWheats Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I myself have never tried a fad diet, this is my first real attempt at weightloss. However, I remember talking to my step mom a couple years ago about what she did to lose weight.
    She chuckled scratched her head and said "the question is what havent I done. I have done everything imaginable, I have even worn blow up pants"To this day I cant get the image out of my head. My overweight stepmom walking around in inflatable pants. I always wondered how she would sit down and they not bust, or if she sounded like a whoopie cushion when she did.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    I myself have never tried a fad diet, this is my first real attempt at weightloss. However, I remember talking to my step mom a couple years ago about what she did to lose weight.
    She chuckled scratched her head and said "the question is what havent I done. I have done everything imaginable, I have even worn blow up pants"To this day I cant get the image out of my head. My overweight stepmom walking around in inflatable pants. I always wondered how she would sit down and they not bust, or if she sounded like a whoopie cushion when she did.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • eveunderground
    eveunderground Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Omg the most ridiculous thing I did was buy the "Enforma system", they used to have these infomercials, there were these pills called "Fat Trapper" and you were supposed to take them whenever you were going to eat an unhealthy fatty meal and it would prevent your body from absorbing the fat...and it also came with a second bottle of pills called "exercise in a bottle"!!! Of course when I received the package it came with a "healthy eating plan" they suggested be followed while taking the pills, along with recommending moderate exercise!

Sigh....that was over 10 yrs ago, but I still can't believe I fell for it.

*hangs head in shame*
  • Teresa652
    Teresa652 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    The Sleeping Diet. I still do it. I love it!!! :yawn:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    My worst was the 3 day surgery diet. I remember beets, icecream and hot dogs....I worked in a daycare center and one of the girls told me I was really stupid for doing it. I then passed out and spent the night with IV stuck in my arm.

If it don't sound right, it probably ISN'T right! :laugh:

I have tried a few others.

Have I mentioned how much I love MFP??:heart::drinker: :heart:
  • Jennwith2ns
    Jennwith2ns Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Cabbage Soup Diet
    Atkins
    The Zone
    South Beach
    Grapefruit
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    the only fad diet i have been on is the 'seefood diet'. if i see food, i eat it. lol.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    You know what is super funny to me? I had a light bulb go off in my head yesterday regarding diet and exercise. I was doing neither at this time and I was slipping back into the old me.

My first thought was "Hmmm, I wonder if Slim Fast makes one with no aspartame"

:noway: WHAT? This after 2.5 yrs on MFP. A member of the elite Black Team. Close friends with weight loss over 100 pounds on MFP, diet and exercise alone, and I was actually thinking of a fad diet??????

Of course I got on the ellip and exercised, ate 5 veggies/fruits yesterday, lots of protien, logged all my food and exercise.......this instead of chugging a can of God knows what!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I've never in my life had to diet. In fact, after naturally (no diet, the weight just went away) losing the weight from my 2nd pregnancy, I was the same size as I was in high school (size 3).

But one time, before any children, I lost a LOT of weight on the 2-job, working 20 hours a day, diet. Not only was the 2nd job an extremely active waitressing job, but I could not eat a filling dinner with all the running around I did (it would give me indigestion/heartburn). So I skipped breakfast, ate out for lunch with friends from my day/office job, and had a baked potato or spinach salad for dinner. I didn't have much to start with, maybe 125 lbs?, but easily lost 25 of those pounds. I was stick thin, dark circles under my eyes, sunken cheekbones...really unhealthy looking. Finally, I severely injured a muscle in my shoulder (lugging huge trays of drinks) and quit the job. My weight gradually went back to normal.

M
  • Joyjmb
    Joyjmb Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Atkins (lost 40)
    Cabbage Soup
    Master Cleanse (water bottles w/ lime juice, cayenne, and maple syrup)
    Raw Food (I actually do this now 2x a year for a week, its good for you!)
    Grapefruit
    Something with Beets? I know I called my mom every day 'Is it time to eat the beets?' LOL - my sister and I still laugh ourselves silly over this one.
    Xenical (pill that eliminates fat through your colon - this was HORROR!!)
    Diet Center (kinda like Jenny C., with a counselor and packaged food)
  • xDeannaGarciax
    Options
    You know what is super funny to me? I had a light bulb go off in my head yesterday regarding diet and exercise. I was doing neither at this time and I was slipping back into the old me.

My first thought was "Hmmm, I wonder if Slim Fast makes one with no aspartame"

:noway: WHAT? This after 2.5 yrs on MFP. A member of the elite Black Team. Close friends with weight loss over 100 pounds on MFP, diet and exercise alone, and I was actually thinking of a fad diet??????

Of course I got on the ellip and exercised, ate 5 veggies/fruits yesterday, lots of protien, logged all my food and exercise.......this instead of chugging a can of God knows what!

I wish there was alike button for this message, lol!

Good for you girl!
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I tried the "soup" diet for a DAY. (You know the one where you get to eat as much soup as you like?) Yep, a day, because the soup was so gross. :P

Other than that, I haven't really done any fad diets. Does eating tons of lean cuisines count when I was first starting out on MFP? Haha.

My mom had a pretty good diet up her sleeves for a couple of weeks before her wedding. She ate a package of poptarts for breakfast, can of campbell's soup for lunch, and a can of campbell's soup for dinner. Always wanted to try it, but knew I wouldn't be able to stick to it.

So glad I found MFP! I want to personally meet the creator of this website and kiss the floor he walks on. 73 pounds lost? You've GOT to be kidding me. :)
  • jessicajm
    Options
    Hydroxycut, the Acai Berry pill, Atkins, South Beach, Slim Fast even the HCG. All of which failed miserably. :huh: