Why do some people insist on running on the road?

Options
This is a weird question. But I'm curious. My town has a huge population of runners, and I've noticed so many more people lately running on the road right next to a sidewalk. The sidewalks here are fine and not rundown or anything so I don't get it.

The other night, there was a woman dressed in all black running on the road when it was dark out. She was running right next to the sidewalk. I was turning the corner and could have hit her if I hadn't turned so wide.

To me, that's just dangerous. It's also frustrating for drivers when there are runners on the side of the road or the bike lane when there's a perfectly good sidewalk.

This is completely unimportant, but I've noticed it so much more lately and I'm curious if there's an actual reason for this.

Replies

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Asphalt is softer than concrete, so its easier on the joints. Plus sometimes sidewalks are uneven and dangerous.

But anyone running in the road should wear reflective colors or blinky lights
  • jillbeanschoop
    jillbeanschoop Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Do you live in a cold climate? Right now people are running in the road in Wisconsin because the sidewalks are inconsistenly shoveled and/or salted and are dangerously slippery in spots.
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I do this but I only do it when it is daylight and I run in a neighborhood with hardly any traffic.

The asphalt is much more forgiving on my knees. I will run on sidewalks now and then but I end up getting knee pain if I do it too often.

I avoid busy streets. I am too afraid of getting hit!
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I stay on the side walks because of the cars flying by so fast but would prefer to run on the road. it's softer and there aren't any cracks that I could potentially face plant.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    roll an ankle on uneven sidewalk or trip and fall and you'll understand. I dont like having to stare at the ground. I rolled my ankle 2 days ago exiting the gym cuz I didnt realize the slabs were totally uneven. I was looking forward.

you should avoid busy roads though.... but, a ton of Dbags actually purposely run on busy roads because they want to be looked at...
  • Coltsatc
    Coltsatc Posts: 36
    Options
    I live out in the country. We don't have sidewalks :laugh:

I always hated running on sidewalks. Too uneven and unpredictable at how well they are maintained or just randomly end.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    The road itself is a softer construct than sidewalk, and is smoother and more consistently well-kept. Yep, it's dangerous if you're not paying attention, running on a busy road/rush hour, or just caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. I've tripped over more chunks of lopsided sidewalk, roots, growth, etc than I have had near-misses with cars. I'll take the road and be fearful/respectful of it.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    It's the softer mostly.
    I had knee surgery a while back and my knee was a little wonky while it healed. I used to run in the middle of the street because it was easier on that knee to be on even ground -- easier than being on ground with a slant, like most sidewalks and the side of the road.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Pedestrians have not only the right to be on the road, but also the right of way. It's the drivers responsibility to avoid hitting them. I agree that there is a time and a place. I won't run on the road if it's a very busy road, rush hour, that type of thing. I also am all lit up when it's dark.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Asphalt is softer than concrete, so its easier on the joints. Plus sometimes sidewalks are uneven and dangerous.

But anyone running in the road should wear reflective colors or blinky lights

This. But I will also add that I avoid running on busy roads that have little or no shoulder. It's just too dangerous.
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    No one who wants to be a runner for a long time runs on sidewalk. Period. It will chew your hips, knees and ankles and over time you will pay for it dearly. I run on sidewalk only when I have to and that is very rare. If you run in the face of traffic and stay as far over as you can, you'll be fine. I have done this for 26 years, well over 5K runs and 34K miles+. Not changing now.

The comments about avoiding busier streets is spot on. I rarely run on streets with a lot of traffic unless they have a bike lane (then it is the cyclists who get mad at me, but they are few and far between). There are great courses everywhere where you can run through neighborhoods with cars that never go over 20-25 mph.

Now people who want to jog 2-3 miles at some pedestrian pace probably won't notice the difference. And certainly a younger person is not going to feel it as much as veterans.
    This is a weird question. But I'm curious. My town has a huge population of runners, and I've noticed so many more people lately running on the road right next to a sidewalk. The sidewalks here are fine and not rundown or anything so I don't get it.

The other night, there was a woman dressed in all black running on the road when it was dark out. She was running right next to the sidewalk. I was turning the corner and could have hit her if I hadn't turned so wide.

To me, that's just dangerous. It's also frustrating for drivers when there are runners on the side of the road or the bike lane when there's a perfectly good sidewalk.

This is completely unimportant, but I've noticed it so much more lately and I'm curious if there's an actual reason for this.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    roll an ankle on uneven sidewalk or trip and fall and you'll understand. I dont like having to stare at the ground. I rolled my ankle 2 days ago exiting the gym cuz I didnt realize the slabs were totally uneven. I was looking forward.

you should avoid busy roads though.... but, a ton of Dbags actually purposely run on busy roads because they want to be looked at...

All of this! Or try running after a huge thunderstorm with twigs and branches everywhere on the sidewalk. It's more like a freaking obstacle course. However, I run in a residential area, so there aren't tons of cars flying by. I also try to stay as close to the side of the road as possible. People on bicycles are another issue. They make me want to rage quit driving sometimes when they pretend to be completely oblivious to cars on the road.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    We have no Pavements so where else am I to run ;-)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Even the most well-kept sidewalk will have uneven parts where it meets driveways, hills, and curbs. It just takes one little screw up to really mess your ankle up.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Do you live in a cold climate? Right now people are running in the road in Wisconsin because the sidewalks are inconsistenly shoveled and/or salted and are dangerously slippery in spots.

I live in Canada and we have a stupid amount of snow. There is no way you can run on the sidewalks as they never clear them.
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Pedestrians have not only the right to be on the road, but also the right of way. It's the drivers responsibility to avoid hitting them. I agree that there is a time and a place. I won't run on the road if it's a very busy road, rush hour, that type of thing. I also am all lit up when it's dark.

That is not true for all conditions, at least in my state of Pennsylvania. Certainly a driver may face charges if he/she hits a pedestrian, but pedestrians do not necessarily have right of way when running on the road.....

Taken directly from this site, which is through the Pennsylvania DMV: http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/vehicle_code/chapter35.pdf

Section 3543 is referred to in section 3542 of this title.
    §
    Pedestrians walking along or on highway.
    (a)Mandatory use of available sidewalk.
    Where a sidewalk is provided and its use is practicable, it is unlawful for any pedestrian to walk along and upon an adjacent roadway.
    (b)Absence of sidewalk.
    Where a sidewalk is not available, any pedestrian walking along and upon a highway shall walk only on a shoulder as far as
    practicable from the edge of the roadway.
    (c)Absence of sidewalk and shoulder.
    Where neither a sidewalk nor a shoulder is available, any pedestrian walking along and upon a highway shall walk as near as practicable to an outside edge of the roadway and, if on a two-way roadway, shall walk only on the left side of the roadway.
    (d)Right of way to vehicles.
    Except as otherwise provided in this subchapter, any pedestrian upon a roadway shall yield the right of way to all vehicles upon the roadway.

From scanning though, it seems like the exceptions are generally types of things like when a pedestrian is crossing a road in a crosswalk.

Personally as a driver, I find it very annoying when runners use the road when a sidewalk is available. I am a runner myself and stay on the sidewalks. If I need a softer surface, I drive to a park and run on the trails.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The only problem I see in the OP is that the runner in question thought she was a ninja, putting herself unnecessarily at risk (I see too many cyclists doing this too)

I prefer to run on the road myself but, like Carson, I'm lit up like a Christmas tree if I'm running when it's dark and wearing high visibility colours day and night (neon yellow makes a fashion statement :laugh: :laugh: )
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    Cause many people let their dogs **** on the sidewalk and don't clean it up. True story.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I run in the road. The last 2 months, the sidewalks are covered in snow or ice (or worse, black ice) and I fell down too many times before that. I run on the appropriate side and my running hoodie is neon pink so you can't miss me. But yeah, I'm sticking with ground that's clear.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Cause many people let their dogs **** on the sidewalk and don't clean it up. True story.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

It's even worse as the snow melts!