Why do some people insist on running on the road?

Options

Replies

• JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    This is my exact problem with bicyclists. I know this is not a popular opinion and I've gotten into plenty of debates with family members, but why bike on the road? They have paths for that. On a bike, you cannot pedal the speed limit and you usually ignore traffic signals, especially in the city. On top of that, you're a liability, because if someone hits you you're probably dead or horribly maimed.

Frustrates me.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    This is my exact problem with bicyclists. I know this is not a popular opinion and I've gotten into plenty of debates with family members, but why bike on the road? They have paths for that. On a bike, you cannot pedal the speed limit and you usually ignore traffic signals, especially in the city. On top of that, you're a liability, because if someone hits you you're probably dead or horribly maimed.

Frustrates me.

The only bike paths around here are the ones around lakes and such. Nothing along the regular roads at all.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Asphalt is softer than concrete, so its easier on the joints. Plus sometimes sidewalks are uneven and dangerous.

But anyone running in the road should wear reflective colors or blinky lights

I agree with the uneven / dangerous part of this. It really stinks to run on poorly-maintained sidewalks. I think runners at night should always wear reflective gear and blinky lights, whether or not they run on the sidewalk. But if you are having joint issues just from running on concrete, I'd suggest getting shoes with better padding.

Personally I run on sidewalks if the road has a lot of traffic (and by a lot I mean more than 1 car every 30 seconds or so).

In my state (North Carolina) it is illegal for pedestrians to use the road when a sidewalk is available. And although i have been injured from a fall due to a rough sidewalk, I'd still prefer to avoid the possibility of a much more severe injury from a motorist.

That said, motorists share some blame here. They rarely look to see if pedestrians are on the sidewalk. At stop signs, they pull right out into the middle of the crosswalk. If a runner happened to be crossing at that point, they would be toast.

I also think runners should stay out of bike lanes, or if they do use them, they should ALWAYS yield to cyclists. When you are cycling at 20-30 MPH and trying to avoid car doors, moving vehicles, and so on, an oblivious runner in the bike lane could cause a serious accident.
  • davemunger
    Options
    This is my exact problem with bicyclists. I know this is not a popular opinion and I've gotten into plenty of debates with family members, but why bike on the road? They have paths for that.
    Serious cyclists riding 20+ MPH are a hazard on greenways. It doesn't make sense for walkers, people with dogs and strollers, and bikes to share the same path. They are fine for families, and for casual riders tootling along, but greenways are really no place for packs of lycra-clad riders.
    On a bike, you cannot pedal the speed limit and you usually ignore traffic signals, especially in the city.
    Cyclists should obey traffic laws, but no one can always drive the speed limit. Traffic can limit driving speeds whether or not bicycles are on the road. You might as well say "no one other than me should drive, because all those other cars on the road slow me down." Heck, if there was no traffic at all, you could hit 150 on most highways! Unfortunately, you must share the road with other vehicles, and bikes are among the other vehicles that have just as much right to the road as you do.
    On top of that, you're a liability, because if someone hits you you're probably dead or horribly maimed.
    You don't ride, so that's not really your problem, is it?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    you want to try driving in Bahrain where a lot of cyclists wear all black and don't use lights and cycle on the wrong side of the road....
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    The other night, there was a woman dressed in all black running on the road when it was dark out. She was running right next to the sidewalk. I was turning the corner and could have hit her if I hadn't turned so wide.

You should have called the cops on her. :laugh:

Runner ninjas are NOT COOL.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Asphalt is softer. Sidewalks are too hard and too even, meaning you are repeatedly pounding on the same impact points over and over again. The same is true for asphalt, but because it is more forgiving, the pounding is less. The best running terrain is a varied one. A little bit of asphalt, a little bit of dirt, a little bit of grass, a little bit of sidewalk. I'm pretty much all over the place when I run.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Asphalt is softer than concrete, so its easier on the joints. Plus sometimes sidewalks are uneven and dangerous.

But anyone running in the road should wear reflective colors or blinky lights

I agree with the uneven / dangerous part of this. It really stinks to run on poorly-maintained sidewalks. I think runners at night should always wear reflective gear and blinky lights, whether or not they run on the sidewalk. But if you are having joint issues just from running on concrete, I'd suggest getting shoes with better padding.

Personally I run on sidewalks if the road has a lot of traffic (and by a lot I mean more than 1 car every 30 seconds or so).

In my state (North Carolina) it is illegal for pedestrians to use the road when a sidewalk is available. And although i have been injured from a fall due to a rough sidewalk, I'd still prefer to avoid the possibility of a much more severe injury from a motorist.

That said, motorists share some blame here. They rarely look to see if pedestrians are on the sidewalk. At stop signs, they pull right out into the middle of the crosswalk. If a runner happened to be crossing at that point, they would be toast.

I also think runners should stay out of bike lanes, or if they do use them, they should ALWAYS yield to cyclists. When you are cycling at 20-30 MPH and trying to avoid car doors, moving vehicles, and so on, an oblivious runner in the bike lane could cause a serious accident.

Yeah, when I run in a bike lane, I am going against the flow of traffic. So I can see them coming and get out of their way. Most peds (and cyclists for that matter) have no clue how to share bike paths. 99% of runners/walkers are going with the traffic, and have head phones on. The poor cyclists really have a job getting safely around them. I got cussed out by a cyclist recently. Even though he had plenty of room to pass because I gave it to him, he still made a dodge at me and said I was 'not smart' for 'being in his lane'. LOL
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Eganita said:
    I am a runner myself and stay on the sidewalks.

No you aren't. You may "run" but you are not a runner.
  • JustinAnimal
    Options
    This is my exact problem with bicyclists. I know this is not a popular opinion and I've gotten into plenty of debates with family members, but why bike on the road? They have paths for that.
    Serious cyclists riding 20+ MPH are a hazard on greenways. It doesn't make sense for walkers, people with dogs and strollers, and bikes to share the same path. They are fine for families, and for casual riders tootling along, but greenways are really no place for packs of lycra-clad riders.
    On a bike, you cannot pedal the speed limit and you usually ignore traffic signals, especially in the city.
    Cyclists should obey traffic laws, but no one can always drive the speed limit. Traffic can limit driving speeds whether or not bicycles are on the road. You might as well say "no one other than me should drive, because all those other cars on the road slow me down." Heck, if there was no traffic at all, you could hit 150 on most highways! Unfortunately, you must share the road with other vehicles, and bikes are among the other vehicles that have just as much right to the road as you do.
    On top of that, you're a liability, because if someone hits you you're probably dead or horribly maimed.
    You don't ride, so that's not really your problem, is it?

I do ride... in my neighborhood and on paths. So it is my problem, isn't it?

I understand that bikes can't pedal the speed limit. I don't truly expect it, but it's still irritating. It's more the fact that they run reds and drive wrecklessly (obviously, not everyone), making them a risk for me. I have no idea how you could compare this to slow cars. People in cars aren't the same liability. Sure, I get annoyed with slow drivers, but I don't have a chance of arguing that they couldn't drive. Roads were designed for cars...

Unfortunately, when I try to walk or bike on paths, I do encounter packs of lycra-clad bikers. I can't complain about them, because they're doing it in the right spot, even if they ride 17 deep. They usually are very observant of path etiquette. I do go for hikes and have to say that most mountain bikers ride on the non-bike trails. But people with dogs also take their dogs on non-dog trails. They let dogs off of the leash where that's not allowed.

I certainly can't say it's everyone, because I'm sure the people who objected to my comments would never do the things I was talking about. But for me to have observed this plenty in my life means that someone must be doing it.
  • davemunger
    Options
    I do ride... in my neighborhood and on paths. So it is my problem, isn't it?

I understand that bikes can't pedal the speed limit. I don't truly expect it, but it's still irritating. It's more the fact that they run reds and drive wrecklessly (obviously, not everyone), making them a risk for me. I have no idea how you could compare this to slow cars. People in cars aren't the same liability. Sure, I get annoyed with slow drivers, but I don't have a chance of arguing that they couldn't drive. Roads were designed for cars...

Some roads were designed for horse-and-buggies. Are you saying cars shouldn't be allowed to use those roads?

Some car drivers drive recklessly. Are you saying no one should be able to drive cars?

I'm glad you ride on paths, but I was referring specifically to your point that cyclists who ride on streets shouldn't do it because it is dangerous for them to do so. Isn't that their decision? Some people can't afford cars; should they be banned from riding their bikes on roads?
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Eganita said:

Did someone claim to be a runner but isn't a card carrying member of the group?! This person claims to "prefer" sidewalks?! I wound't even say they run, maybe the Runner's Union should downgrade the comment further and just say Eganita moves quickly, rather than disgrace the proud, time honored tradition of running. Runners run, everyone else is just walking fast!

And don't get me started on all that paleo-running, the kind where they do it barefoot...sheesh...

/end sarcasm
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options

Frustrates me.

I am ok with bicyclists on the road in general. However, some of them where I live act as if they are completely unaware that they share the road with cars. They are all over the road forcing a line of cars to move at a snail's pace behind them instead of letting people pass. These particular individuals, but not all bicyclists, drive me insane.
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Eganita said:

Umm.. what? Who are you to tell me I am not a runner?
  • blackberrymuffintop
    Options

Frustrates me.

You know it's possible that people are biking to a destination, so bike paths are irrelevant. A lot of people bike to work or school to be environmentally friendly or because they don't own a car. I don't run or bike but I walk to work on the road and you would not believe the amount of cars that speed up rather than slow down when they see me, and I get flipped off plenty. People who are privileged enough to own a car have no right to be "frustrated" at those who rely on alternative modes of transportation.
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Eganita said:

Did someone claim to be a runner but isn't a card carrying member of the group?! This person claims to "prefer" sidewalks?! I wound't even say they run, maybe the Runner's Union should downgrade the comment further and just say Eganita moves quickly, rather than disgrace the proud, time honored tradition of running. Runners run, everyone else is just walking fast!

And don't get me started on all that paleo-running, the kind where they do it barefoot...sheesh...

/end sarcasm

haha :)

Yeah, I don't get his point, but whatever. IMO, anyone who runs and wants to call themselves a runner is entitled to do so... I am a little curious how DavidMartinez2 defines a "runner" but not sure I want to get into that discussion....
  • julianadelbosque
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses! I am only a casual runner so I've never heard that asphalt is softer before. Makes sense. I guess what's bothered me lately is all the unsafe runners! That woman at night was putting herself in a very dangerous situation, especially because I'm in a college town and people tend to be ****ty drivers. I've also been seeing people in the streets that I may not consider very busy but are absolutely highly trafficked. I just don't get why those people still insist on being in the street when there are a whole bunch of cars driving toward them.
  • JustinAnimal
    Options
    Yeah, I don't understand many of the responses to my post. I don't care to keep this up much more, so I'll just attempt to clarify.

My statement wasn't intended to be a blanket statement against all bikes on the roads. Sorry if it came off that way. It was clearly my mistake. I am just the cyclists who are all over the place, zig-zaggin across car lanes, don't stop at stop signs or red lights, are oblivious, ride in my lane when they have a perfectly good bike lane to their right, etc.

I don't understand what come off as self-conscious reactions. You don't have a path? Fine, I wasn't talking about you. You are considerate on the road? Fine, I'm not talking about you.

But when you ask me these questions, you make me sound like some totalitarian dictator. Would you just assume ban all other drivers who aren't you? Are you saying that horses should die because no one made them a horse path? No, I'm talking about the specific people I'm talking about. Please stop extrapolating ridiculous sh@t that isn't there.

Aaaaaaaaaaaand I'm out.
  • JustinAnimal
    Options
    Eganita said:

DavidMartinez, that may have been the most @$$hole arrogant quote I've ever read.

Do you even lift, bro?

Are you better because you have a picture or your running clothes and that trophy you won?
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Eganita said:

Totally unnecessary comment. There is no need to be an instigator.