Why do some people insist on running on the road?

Options

Replies

• DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    A runner would understand that running on asphalt is preferable to running on pavement, that uneven sidewalks are a good way to get hurt, that high curb height or constantly changing levels for driveways is a problem, or that trying to weave through pedestrians not only sucks for you but is a major annoyance for everyone who is not you. Rather than quoting state laws that may or may not apply a runner would have something constructive to offer like "wear bright clothing", "wear a light at night", or even "run toward traffic so you can see the car trying to kill you".
  • BillyWeaver1234
    Options
    Eganita said:
    I am a runner myself and stay on the sidewalks.

No you aren't. You may "run" but you are not a runner.

You should continue to run. Maybe it will help with this "skinny fat" phase you seem to be in from the looks of your pics :-(
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    A runner would understand that running on asphalt is preferable to running on pavement, that uneven sidewalks are a good way to get hurt, that high curb height or constantly changing levels for driveways is a problem, or that trying to weave through pedestrians not only sucks for you but is a major annoyance for everyone who is not you. Rather than quoting state laws that may or may not apply a runner would have something constructive to offer like "wear bright clothing", "wear a light at night", or even "run toward traffic so you can see the car trying to kill you".

Wow... you did it. I feel so stupid now...

Oh, no, wait, you still look like this jerk with a trophy. Way to play holier than thou waaaaay better than anyone else. Holiest-than-thou, for you. Maybe you could give humbler than thou a shot?
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options

Hey whatever. You're entitled to your opinion as am I. I live in an urban area and prefer to stay within my state's laws and prevent myself from getting hit by cars on busy streets.

I posted the laws in response to someone who was saying that runners can run in the road under any circumstance and have right of way. that is simply not universally true, at least in my state. I was not replying to the OP and hence quoted the post in question. I would say that your snarky reply to me was even less useful to the OP. Thanks though!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I do ride... in my neighborhood and on paths. So it is my problem, isn't it?

I understand that bikes can't pedal the speed limit. I don't truly expect it, but it's still irritating. It's more the fact that they run reds and drive wrecklessly (obviously, not everyone), making them a risk for me. I have no idea how you could compare this to slow cars. People in cars aren't the same liability. Sure, I get annoyed with slow drivers, but I don't have a chance of arguing that they couldn't drive. Roads were designed for cars...

Some roads were designed for horse-and-buggies. Are you saying cars shouldn't be allowed to use those roads?

Some car drivers drive recklessly. Are you saying no one should be able to drive cars?

I'm glad you ride on paths, but I was referring specifically to your point that cyclists who ride on streets shouldn't do it because it is dangerous for them to do so. Isn't that their decision? Some people can't afford cars; should they be banned from riding their bikes on roads?

You might want to check your drivers manual but, as far as I know, bikes are legally considered road-vehicles in all US states. They are not, however, allowed to use the highways. They cannot break the top speed limit, but they can manage the minimum speed limit on city streets.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    This is my exact problem with bicyclists. I know this is not a popular opinion and I've gotten into plenty of debates with family members, but why bike on the road? They have paths for that. On a bike, you cannot pedal the speed limit and you usually ignore traffic signals, especially in the city. On top of that, you're a liability, because if someone hits you you're probably dead or horribly maimed.

Frustrates me.

I am ok with bicyclists on the road in general. However, some of them where I live act as if they are completely unaware that they share the road with cars. They are all over the road forcing a line of cars to move at a snail's pace behind them instead of letting people pass. These particular individuals, but not all bicyclists, drive me insane.

According to the DVM, cyclists have the entire lane.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I'm not a runner....definitely not outside so I don't get it the need to run outdoors in Chicago ... especially this winter. Subzero temps, lots of snow ...

Just workout inside for a few months....

I hate feeling like I am going to kill someone one of these days.

Like I said...not an outdoor runner...don't get it. :)

What if you have a spring marathon?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Eganita said:

This is a pretty sad attempt at a troll post, right?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Just workout inside for a few months....

That would involve the infernal hamster wheel...

Not a chance
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    My question has always been, why aren't sidewalks made of asphalt? I'm guessing it must be a cost/maintenence thing???

they are in the UK, however the constant need to step on and off the kerb at crossings, and the sloped surface down to the road along a lot of their length can give the same issues that have been discussed upthread; knee, ankle and hip pressures that exhibit as pain and movement restriction.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    However, some of them where I live act as if they are completely unaware that they share the road with cars. They are all over the road forcing a line of cars to move at a snail's pace behind them instead of letting people pass. These particular individuals, but not all bicyclists, drive me insane.

Cyclists should ride in the middle third of the lane, as the safest part of the road to use. They should also avoid as much as possible running over the top of the metalwork, as the traction is significantly reduced.

At least in the UK the highway code expects cage dwellers to give a cyclist the same amount of space as they would another cage. With that in mind using the middle third discourages trying to squeeze past, at speed, too close to the cyclist for a safe pass.

From a very practical perspective giving oneself space on the nearside should a cage get too close is only prudent. If there is nowhere to go then a more serious accident is more likely. Notwithstanding that the nearside third of the road is generally the poorest quality in terms of maintenance as that's where most of the surface penetrations are.
  • ladyzakis
    ladyzakis Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You should see some of the pavements here in Manchester, UK. Some crazy assed town planners decided to plant trees ON the pavements. 50 years later, these trees have ripped up the surfaces, as well as taking up half of the (no more than 6 feet wide) footpath. As well as this, a lot of houses own more than one car without having the space to park them off the road. As the roads are small, all the cars are parked over the pavement too. And don't forget the days when the bins are collected- sometimes each household has 3 outside.

You can barely walk down these footpaths without having to squeeze past obstacles/trip over the uneven surfaces and tree roots, let alone run
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    In a previous thread about this someone linked to research which showed there was no difference between 'hardness' of concrete and tarmac - which aligns with what I expect (they're both pretty hard :) )

In the UK a good proportion of pavements are tarmaced anyway - doesn't stop people running on the road.
    A lot of our roads are cambered to the side too, so unless you're running in the middle of the road, it may well be worse.

I do find a lot of runners are pretty rude in the way they interact with others when out on a run.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    You should see some of the pavements here in Manchester, UK. Some crazy assed town planners decided to plant trees ON the pavements. 50 years later, these trees have ripped up the surfaces, as well as taking up half of the (no more than 6 feet wide) footpath. As well as this, a lot of houses own more than one car without having the space to park them off the road. As the roads are small, all the cars are parked over the pavement too. And don't forget the days when the bins are collected- sometimes each household has 3 outside.

You can barely walk down these footpaths without having to squeeze past obstacles/trip over the uneven surfaces and tree roots, let alone run

Yep, I live in a town just outside Edinburgh and it's the same, pavements are tarmac but that uneven (peoples driveways) and broken (or covered in wet slippy leaves) that I do tend to run on the road where possible, however where I am running on the roads I run towards traffic so I can see it coming towards me and I will go back on the pavement until they are past and then go back on the road (using the afore mentioned driveways as ramps!!), I agree some people are really rude, but I think that is just a reflection of society in general now, no one is aware of what is going on roundabout them, eyes or ears glued to a phone or earphones in (I avoid earphones as well so I can hear people behind me), flexi-leads on dogs are just death-traps. I try to be as courteous as i can (mainly so I can complain about the people that aren't), if I hear someone running behind me, I pull over to side (still running) to make way for them, always grab the dogs collar if runners/cyclists are coming towards me on trails as he's a bit thick and walks in front of them), wave drivers past when it's safe to do so when I'm on my horse, wear something bright so I'm seen (wouldn't run on the roads with no pavements if I thought I would be out long enough to lose the light, I would change my route).
    If everyone was a bit more courteous and aware of their surroundings we could all move about at our own pace much easier.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Eganita said:

How's the air up there?

Totally rude and unnecessary comment. But just out of curiosity.......in your most awesome opinion, how many miles must I run each day to be considered a runner? Is there a quota?

I run on the road simply because there are no sidewalks where I live. I wouldn't use a sidewalk anyway. I'm too clumsy and would most likely eat concrete.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Eganita said:

How's the air up there?

Totally rude and unnecessary comment. But just out of curiosity.......in your most awesome opinion, how many miles must I run each day to be considered a runner? Is there a quota?

I run on the road simply because there are no sidewalks where I live. I wouldn't use a sidewalk anyway. I'm too clumsy and would most likely eat concrete.

Think that was his point, apparently 'runners' always use the road to avoid injuries going up and down uneven pavements and to hell with the 2tonne car coming towards, personally I run on the road where I can but will get back on the pavement to get out of a cars way, I can recover from scrapes and bruises if I injury myself tripping up a pavement, but getting hit by a car I feel would take significantly longer to recover from.

I'm just wondering if Usian Bolt is not considered a runner then if he doesn't run on the roads but rather a track!!!
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    In my town, these road runners would get one warning and then a ticket for impeding traffic and causing a nuisance.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Eganita said:

How's the air up there?

Think that was his point, apparently 'runners' always use the road to avoid injuries going up and down uneven pavements and to hell with the 2tonne car coming towards, personally I run on the road where I can but will get back on the pavement to get out of a cars way, I can recover from scrapes and bruises if I injury myself tripping up a pavement, but getting hit by a car I feel would take significantly longer to recover from.

I'm just wondering if Usian Bolt is not considered a runner then if he doesn't run on the roads but rather a track!!!

Perks of living in the boonies. Very little traffic! :)
  • ME0172
    ME0172 Posts: 200
    Options
    Pedestrians have not only the right to be on the road, but also the right of way. It's the drivers responsibility to avoid hitting them. I agree that there is a time and a place. I won't run on the road if it's a very busy road, rush hour, that type of thing. I also am all lit up when it's dark.

Pedestrians absolutely do not have the right of way. Only in crosswalks. Outside of crosswalks pedestrians are to yield to all vehicles.
  • coretemp
    coretemp Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    I run on the road all the time but I also run smart and get on the sidewalk when it's obviously in my best interests to do so! : )

The road just simply has a better feel to it over distance.

When I do happen to find myself on a main road and find it busier than I'd like, I stick to the very side and don't act like I own it. It will also be quite temporary because I only use main roads when necessary. All of my routes lead to long stretch side streets and asphalt river paths.

99% of the time I run in the evening or well before 7 a.m. because there's way less traffic and thus way less exhaust fumes hovering in the air which I can't stand. Also, at those times I'm more likely to have a road all to myself and enjoy bombing straight down the centre under the streetlights. It's a great feeling.

I don't use headphones, just the speaker on my phone in my pocket, have an LED flasher on my arm when it's dark out and always use body language to let drivers know that I'm not there to get in the way of their commute. In all my years of running this way I've never had a single disrespectful moment with a driver.