What do you say to yourself during a hard workout?

Options
I do a lot of self-talk during my workouts especially when they start to get tough. :grumble: Now that I am exercising more I realize how powerful these positive messages to myself really are! :happy:

During my runs, it is mainly about how athletes don't stop, they press on through the pain. Othertimes I pretend I am a train - "Choo, Choo" with wheels instead of legs...I know it sounds silly but is ALSO makes me smile which also helps me keep going too :laugh:
Other times, I pick some words to say like a mantra like "Freedom, happiness, focus, confidence".

During calistenics and circuit training I tend to count more. While in yoga, I focus more on breathing with "inhale, exhale".

Whether it is counting, chanting, or saying "you can do this" over and over again what do YOU say so you will keep going?

Replies

• JessicaPippen
    Options
    Suck it up now so you dont have to suck it in later
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I remind myself that I am young, fit, and healthy. And as long as I have that, I can do anything!
  • tristaj90
    tristaj90 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I've been doing T25 and when it starts to burn I usually just mentally tell myself "it's only 25 minutes. YOU CAN GET THROUGH IT".. :)
    Then I end up doing another low impact workout later in the day!
  • IsaTexDesigner
    IsaTexDesigner Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I tell myself "ok, get to the next km and I can stop"(of course I dont). Or I tell myself to just get it over with!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    YEAAAAARRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Sometimes I verbalize this as well, on my most difficult reps.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    UNH!
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    30 seconds more 30 secondsmore 30 seconds more 30 seconds more
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    slow down the breath
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    Suck it up now so you dont have to suck it in later

Love this!
  • ayamagali
    ayamagali Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Nothing so profound or inspiring, I'm afraid. Sometimes it's "F******K!" And other times "RAWR!! Totally got this!"
  • ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    "don't die don't die don't die"

...yeah that about sums it up for me :happy:
  • supermysza
    supermysza Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mo6prmGy5U1r1u0gno1_500.png
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    UNH!
    This. I don't have breath for much else. :bigsmile:
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    "don't die don't die don't die"

...yeah that about sums it up for me :happy:

That's a good one, especially for when squatting.
  • CheeksBryant
    CheeksBryant Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    "omg my butt is jiggling so bad, oh hell who cares at least I'm not at home on the couch" "bish you can do this" "bish shut your lazy self up and just do it" "crap, my butt is sweating everyone thinks I peed myself" "am I the only person who's butt sweats?" oh, wait you meant motivational wise? "bish get it done" I'm mean motivational to myself lol
  • louisegibbs85
    louisegibbs85 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Just a little more ... You can do this .... Oh my god I can't do this .... Yes I can ..... Awwww I'm dying .... No I'm not I'm strong I got this .... Is that the grim reaper!? ..... I'm gunna cry ....... Yey I did it ... Can't believe I did it .... That was easy .....
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    "Damn, that's hard"
  • suncluster
    suncluster Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Nothing so profound or inspiring, I'm afraid. Sometimes it's "F******K!" And other times "RAWR!! Totally got this!"

It doesn't have to be profound. Sometimes I need to kick my own *kitten* and curse myself out so I will keep going.
    The words may not always be positive but the result are. :wink:
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I think to myself that the first half would be a total waste if I don't do the second half of the workout.
  • CentralCaliCycling
    CentralCaliCycling Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    FASTER - music helps and another cyclist ahead even more since I have a hard time not chasing a rabbit.