What do you say to yourself during a hard workout?

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    usually nothing..i can hear my music..but I am focused on next rep ….
  • JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    LOL

I say " What a weak sauce"

after shoulder pressing 95lbs
  • tomaspetro
    tomaspetro Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    99 bottles of beer I won't drink
    99 bottles of beer
    take one down pass it around
    98 bottles of beer.........etc.,
  • arwacky
    arwacky Posts: 1,653
    Options
    "Why did I do this to myself????? Oh yea I wanna look awesome!!! I can do this!! I'm not feeling any pain...BLOCK OUT ANY PAIN!!!! KEEEEP GOOOOOING!!!!!"
  • pamperedhen
    pamperedhen Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    It'll be worth it in the end! PUSHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!:drinker:
  • Sarahliquid
    Sarahliquid Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    One more. I'll even say it each time for the last 5 reps, each one is just one more. I use mental imagery too, of mentally and physically strong people from movies or hooks and try to mimic them.
  • benjaminlight
    benjaminlight Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I treat my mental struggles as an adversary, and my common war cry is....

"I DON'T KNOW YOU!!! THAT'S MY PURSE!!!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJl3ZAg6mj0

Though seriously... the people along my running route must think I'm insane.
  • jaya_lakshmi27
    Options
    I'm young and can still run. When I'm older, I won't be able to do this anymore.

I used to do a lot of negative self talk, but that wasn't really working. I switched to positive self-talk, and it's SO much more effective. Instead of telling myself that I'm a failure, I remind myself that I'm strong, young, healthy, and radiant. That I can do it!

Talk positive :smile:
  • lanalovestar
    lanalovestar Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I yell at my self and tell it we aren't quitting and you will be consistent. Never cheat you.
  • lindseyas1
    lindseyas1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    "*****, you can handle ANYTHING for five more minutes!"
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    First set.

1, 2, 3, dont fart, dont fart, oops.

Second set

1, 2, 3, hrgg, ungh, **** was that 4 or 5? better do another,

Third set

1, 2, 3, gawd, Im to young to die, why do I do this **** again?

If there is a 4th set...please don't let my uterus fall out!

Never do a fourth set. My uterus fell out and I turned into a man doing four sets. : (
  • DontEatTheCake3
    Options
    10 minutes left. You didn't drive to the gym today to stop at 10 minutes left. You've been doing this for 25 minutes now, why stop now? There's no point. Keep going. Prove to yourself that you can do it, because you can.
  • Jessica41788
    Options
    "keep going, do another set, if you don't, you're only cheating yourself, DAMMIT DON'T CHEAT YOURSELF!!! ARRRGG!"
  • jeanners98
    jeanners98 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    "EVERY DAY COUNTS!"

I can always come up with a million reasons to put a workout off till tomorrow. But this helps me GO.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I tell myself "This is easy! You can do this AAALLLLLLLLLL DAY!!!" then I push myself even harder and make myself smile real big :bigsmile: Yes I'm crazy and maybe a bit sadistic. muahahahahahaha
  • VictoriasImage77
    VictoriasImage77 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    "Is that all you've got? Is that REALLY ALLLLLLL you've got?!?!?!?!"
  • BonecrusherBrews
    BonecrusherBrews Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    These are awesome! I've done so many of them too. Music is a big inspiration for me I change my playlist often and it usually includes bands like The Offspring, Everclear, Rancid, Social D, Metallica, AC/DC, etc. I also talk to myself with phrases like, "you've done this before" or "just 5 more"... stuff like that. But what gets me out of bed at 5:30 in the morning is that I know it's worth it and today is another day to make myself better.
  • bheathfit
    bheathfit Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    So many voices...

Ronnie Coleman saying "Lift that heavy *kitten* *kitten*!"

Kris Getlin yelling "Leg Day doesn't care about that! Leg day Doesn't Give a F*(K!!"

I also attempt to do a full 90 minute workout in 45 minutes by giving myself the countdown. I'm sort of a goal and deadline driven guy though...
  • LazyRunner_2212
    LazyRunner_2212 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    no pain, no pain!!
  • inky16
    inky16 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Suck it up now so you dont have to suck it in later

Busted out laughing at this!!

Most times I'm watching the timer, which sounds counter-intuitive, but I end up telling myself... only 5 more minutes, then you can quit... that's like half a second in tv time... you know much damage a toddler can do in that amount of time... just keep going...