1000 calorie deficit NOT for people with healthy BMI

Options

Replies

• Kath15
    Kath15 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Another excellent post, Banks! Keep 'em coming!
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Holy resurrected threads Batman! This is from last July, almost a year ago. I weighed 212 pounds when I posted this :smile:
    <<Casper said>>
    Bumpity bump,,,

Thanks for this. Good info. I think I'm close to this and should adjust intake up a bit.

However,,, the BMI thing is funky as usual. I have an absolutely freakish build. I have a 44" chest and a 36" abdomen. My calipers say I'm around 17% bodyfat - so unless I'm heading for Michael Phelps cut I'm probably down to my last 10 pounds.

My BMI is 32.2. I'm still 15 pounds above obese,,, The top end of "Healthy" for my height is 15 pounds below my lean body mass. Can't get there without cutting a huge amount of muscle, and I ain't doing it. I've lost 6 or 8 pounds of lean now...
    <<SHBoss said>>
    yeah, even though I use BMI, I'm not a huge fan of it, especially for men with an athletic build, it's always off, usually high. 17% body fat is great Casper! I agree with you, I don't think you need to lose any more weight at all, BF% is definitly what you want to be focused on at this point IMHO.
    As I said at that time, I dropped back to 500 cal deficit and made good progress. I gained back a few pounds at T-day/Xmas, got them back off in the spring. Basically on maintenance now. MFP still set at 500 deficit, but I cheat a little here and there and I'm really pretty settled in and maintaining. Still gettin cardio, but the weight training stopped when the grandbaby was born and some time got chewed up. May restart soon.

Today, 203 pounds, 44 chest, 34" waist, 13% bodyfat. It works...
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Holy resurrected threads Batman! This is from last July, almost a year ago. I weighed 212 pounds when I posted this :smile:
    <<Casper said>>
    Bumpity bump,,,

Thanks for this. Good info. I think I'm close to this and should adjust intake up a bit.

However,,, the BMI thing is funky as usual. I have an absolutely freakish build. I have a 44" chest and a 36" abdomen. My calipers say I'm around 17% bodyfat - so unless I'm heading for Michael Phelps cut I'm probably down to my last 10 pounds.

My BMI is 32.2. I'm still 15 pounds above obese,,, The top end of "Healthy" for my height is 15 pounds below my lean body mass. Can't get there without cutting a huge amount of muscle, and I ain't doing it. I've lost 6 or 8 pounds of lean now...
    <<SHBoss said>>
    yeah, even though I use BMI, I'm not a huge fan of it, especially for men with an athletic build, it's always off, usually high. 17% body fat is great Casper! I agree with you, I don't think you need to lose any more weight at all, BF% is definitly what you want to be focused on at this point IMHO.
    As I said at that time, I dropped back to 500 cal deficit and made good progress. I gained back a few pounds at T-day/Xmas, got them back off in the spring. Basically on maintenance now. MFP still set at 500 deficit, but I cheat a little here and there and I'm really pretty settled in and maintaining. Still gettin cardio, but the weight training stopped when the grandbaby was born and some time got chewed up. May restart soon.

Today, 203 pounds, 44 chest, 34" waist, 13% bodyfat. It works...
    Try 2007 (written originally), how cool is that Casper, I agree! I remember seems like 100 years and not 3, wow.

Consider this a bump:tongue:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    doing the banksy bump.........

gotta put in the picture lady!

bump.gif

OMG my favorite bump EVER!! LOL
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    oh well, i like my 1000 calorie day deficit and I feel satisfied at the end of the day....i'm never tired and have plenty of energy.....so i'm sticking with what makes my body feel good...as of lately i have gone into the 1200's and 1300's but by the end of the day i feel bloated and too full...

Maybe your the exception to the rule. :flowerforyou:

right, what are you lady? 4'11" right? You're under a smaller set of calories than most people, which is why you can eat less, but it also means a 1000 calorie deficit is an even bigger no no for you.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Bumping for my Topics :love:
  • cmowat13
    cmowat13 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • USAFwifey12
    USAFwifey12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    bump, great info!
  • DianaM1020
    DianaM1020 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Ellis_rn:
    this is what i was talking about I think. This is why Lindsay told me to decrease by 250, cause I have a healthy BMI. So I don't need a 500 deficit, which means like 1350 a day, yay!
  • USAFwifey12
    USAFwifey12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Ellis_rn:
    this is what i was talking about I think. This is why Lindsay told me to decrease by 250, cause I have a healthy BMI. So I don't need a 500 deficit, which means like 1350 a day, yay!

Yeah, I forgot I have more to lose than you so that's true, I meant to text you today when I was reading this because I thought about that. Glad you found the post :wink: You should read the rest of his stuff, he knows what he's talking about for sure

Keep it coming Banks :smile:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • greer08
    greer08 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • greer08
    greer08 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • Geordie_Girl
    Geordie_Girl Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hi, hopefully you can help me clear something up. My bmi is 32point something (can't check now as I'm on my phone) Mfp gives my bmr as 1549, but if I set weight loss to 1 lb per week it sets my calories at 1580. Am I actually going to lose weight at those settings?. I do between 300 - 1000 cals of exercise per day normally, and eat the majority of my exercise cals. Would I be better off setting my loss goal back to 2lb a week and just having 1200 cals, plus exercise?
    Thanks
  • Geordie_Girl
    Options
    Oops, didn't realise this was such an old thread
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Hi, hopefully you can help me clear something up. My bmi is 32point something (can't check now as I'm on my phone) Mfp gives my bmr as 1549, but if I set weight loss to 1 lb per week it sets my calories at 1580. Am I actually going to lose weight at those settings?. I do between 300 - 1000 cals of exercise per day normally, and eat the majority of my exercise cals. Would I be better off setting my loss goal back to 2lb a week and just having 1200 cals, plus exercise?
    Thanks

I'm pretty sure that when you look at the screen that MFP gives as your BMR, that's your true BMR + calories for your activity level.
  • Geordie_Girl
    Options
    I did think it might be that alright, but the calculator doesn't ask anything about activity, just height, weight, sex and age :/
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I did think it might be that alright, but the calculator doesn't ask anything about activity, just height, weight, sex and age :/

When you first set up the account, you were asked to select an activity level that represented your activity at work(or at home if you don't work). Sedentary, lightly active, etc. That's where it's getting your activity level.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    bump and thankyou.
  • schobert101
    schobert101 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Bump, great post and very relevant