PLANT STRONG - ANYONE?

Options

Replies

• EmoJew
    EmoJew Posts: 94 Member
    Options

When we talk about processed foods, we're referring to "food-like" products...convenience foods, if you will.

What is "food-like"? To me, canned tomato sauce is processed when I can make it from real tomatoes. Yes I googled the term and saw an article that gave Cool-Whip and Chez-Whiz as a reference as well as oreos.

Just curious.

Please explain to me what the process was that took place in the canned tomatoes.

Do some research before posting please.
    See Forks Over Knives. It will answer all your questions.

well.... the PROCESS of putting the tomatoes into a can in a manufacturing facility for example...

And you know, the addition of additives and preservatives...

Not that there's anything WRONG with processed food
  • sprocketism
    sprocketism Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You+gonna+eat+your+tots_fb352a_3163500.jpg

In for tots. They are plant strong, right?? Oh and the Bacon Cake!! That just looks OMG good. :love:

No idea what tots is.
    I fully support bacon eaters, but I can honestly say, if I can avoid heart disease or other unnecessary diseases , then I will.
    Might want to read this
    Low saturated fat diets don't curb heart disease risk or help you live longer
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/03/140305191429.htm

Potatoes are great, but oil to fry them wouldn't be. Oil clogs arteries.
    And I think I watched Nap Dynamite a million years ago.
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Where does Nescafe fall in the processed/food-like products debate then?!

It's coffee. Coffee grows from the ground. Any other brilliant questions?
    Surely you use roasted, ground coffee.
    Last time i checked they were both processes, so doesn't that make coffee a processed product?

The same goes for tinned tomatoes, they are cooked ( peeled, chopped) and canned. Canning is a process.
    Just like cutting up vegetables.
    How are you defining " processed food"

Dies frozen veggies count as processed?

Also for your response to where are you getting your protein from?
    You mentioned that you are getting lots of minerals and vitamins, but they arn't proteins. ( you didn't even mention hat you are getting all the essential amino acids needed to create proteins.
  • sprocketism
    Options
    Is anyone here Plant Strong? What exactly is that, you ask?
    I'm guessing not you after all the contradictions in your diary pertaining to your OP concerning your statements about not eating processed food.

Not trying to be rude but if you are trying to educate people on something it is best to back up your declarations with facts and evidence.

Kinda the approach I took... haha. If you're going to preach, at least practice it yourself.

Here's where you'll find interesting brain food:
    (on Netflix)

Forks Over Knives
    Hungry For Change
    Food Matters
    Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead

These documentaries also have websites you can visit.

This Plant Strong lifestyle is about quality of life and health, eating as clean as possible to satisfy your body's un-evolved expectations (meaning, our body's have not changed since ancient times).

No thanks, I'm not interested in being brainwashed.

It's actually really interesting scientific stuff. This post is for those with the same interest.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options

When we talk about processed foods, we're referring to "food-like" products...convenience foods, if you will.

What is "food-like"? To me, canned tomato sauce is processed when I can make it from real tomatoes. Yes I googled the term and saw an article that gave Cool-Whip and Chez-Whiz as a reference as well as oreos.

Just curious.

Please explain to me what the process was that took place in the canned tomatoes.

Canned tomato sauce has a ton of preservatives(for shelf life) and sugars/sweetners even sodium in some brands.

I do not agree with Forks Over Knives concept but ::enters sarcastic font:: thanks for taking the time to be nice enough to site a few examples. ::exits sarcastic font::

I found this interesting: http://rawfoodsos.com/category/china-study/
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Wow! it sounds like eating a plant based diet is really working for you. I have been meaning to watch Forks Over Knives. I will have to make some time. Thanks for sharing!
  • sprocketism
    Options

Last time i checked they were both processes, so doesn't that make coffee a processed product?

The same goes for tinned tomatoes, they are cooked ( peeled, chopped) and canned. Canning is a process.

You mentioned that you are getting lots of minerals and vitamins, but they arn't proteins. ( you didn't even mention hat you are getting all the essential amino acids needed to create proteins.

Plant Based diets aren't raw diets. Roasting, boiling, steaming, grilling, blending, freezing, etc. of things that grow from the ground don't make the item processed.

Processed foods are, for example: artificial sweeteners, soda, oils, white flour, anything that is "food-like" (sugary cereal, candy, mcdonalds), and to make it pretty straight-forward, if you can't pronounce the ingredient, don't eat the food.

I get my protein from beans, legumes, and plants that are rich in protein ie: broccoli. I've been short on the beans lately to fill up more on greens, but my protein levels are acceptable, and I feel friggen amazing for the first time ever!!
  • sprocketism
    Options
    glad you're feeling good atm but i'd seriously consider getting some nuts or beans (or something else you can think of that 'grows from the ground') as your fat levels look dangerously low and i don't think you'll continue to feel great for long without it.

i'll leave the protein, others have mentioned it.

I've got enough left over fat reserves for now. I plan to add beans and legumes back into my diet after I lose the last 10 lbs. I will dive into my home made oil-free hummus at that time...cannot wait!
  • butro78
    butro78 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yes! Super Yes even though here in Lincoln, NE. :)
  • Soufre
    Soufre Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    You're losing weight because you're only eating like 1000 calories per day. Yea, good luck with that.
  • sprocketism
    Options

Just curious.

Canned tomato sauce has a ton of preservatives(for shelf life) and sugars/sweetners even sodium in some brands.

I do not agree with Forks Over Knives concept but ::enters sarcastic font:: thanks for taking the time to be nice enough to site a few examples. ::exits sarcastic font::

I found this interesting: http://rawfoodsos.com/category/china-study/

It's home made marinara sauce, from scratch. The sweetener I used was agave. The tomatoes came from the can, yes, added sodium. But it's a totally "legal" item. Totally plant-based.

Love the China Study!!! Glad to see someone made an effort to take a glimpse of the diet even for a second.
  • sprocketism
    Options
    Wow! it sounds like eating a plant based diet is really working for you. I have been meaning to watch Forks Over Knives. I will have to make some time. Thanks for sharing!

The documentary will blow your mind.
  • sprocketism
    Options
    You're losing weight because you're only eating like 1000 calories per day. Yea, good luck with that.

But I'm always totally totally full. When the belly is full, the mind knows the body isn't starving. Full satiation is what the body and mind want in order to allow use of fat reserves.

I
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Jerry-Seinfeld-No-Thanks-and-Leave.gif
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

Plant Based diets aren't raw diets. Roasting, boiling, steaming, grilling, blending, freezing, etc. of things that grow from the ground don't make the item processed.

Processed foods are, for example: artificial sweeteners, soda, oils, white flour, anything that is "food-like" (sugary cereal, candy, mcdonalds), and to make it pretty straight-forward, if you can't pronounce the ingredient, don't eat the food.

I get my protein from beans, legumes, and plants that are rich in protein ie: broccoli. I've been short on the beans lately to fill up more on greens, but my protein levels are acceptable, and I feel friggen amazing for the first time ever!!

If you enjoy eating this way then good for you. I have tried out a few different diets and I just couldn't sustain them.

My only question is your definition of processed...

I looked up the ingredients for your veggie burger...how can an item with that many ingredients not be processed. Also notice that one ingredient listed is cheddar cheese made from the milk of a cow.

Gardenburger® Veggie Burgers – The Original Veggie Burger

Ingredients:
    COOKED BROWN RICE (LONG GRAIN BROWN RICE, WATER), BUTTON MUSHROOMS, ROLLED OATS, MOZZARELLA CHEESE (PASTEURIZED PART-SKIM MILK, CULTURES, SALT, ENZYMES), ONIONS, WATER, HYDRATED WHEAT BULGUR (WATER, BULGUR WHEAT), CRIMINI MUSHROOMS, SPICES, PORTABELLA MUSHROOMS, CHEDDAR CHEESE (PASTEURIZED MILK, SALT, ENZYMES, CULTURES, ANNATTO COLOR), CONTAINS TWO PERCENT OR LESS OF SALT, NATURAL FLAVORS, MODIFIED VEGETABLE GUM, GARLIC POWDER, YEAST EXTRACT, CITRIC ACID, WHEY, MALTED BARLEY, ANNATTO COLOR, MALTED BARLEY FLOUR, ONION POWDER, MUSHROOM POWDER, GUAR GUM, ANNATTO EXTRACT (COLOR), TURMERIC EXTRACT (COLOR), SOY LECITHIN.
  • sprocketism
    Options
    The idea is to eat a whole foods, plant-based diet. The marinara sauce is home-made, fully plant strong, nothing processed, I eat whole wheat pastas, and wheat flour, which is used for wheat bread, sour dough bread, and wheat tortillas. The corn tortillas are 100% corn. So yes, they are "legal" in the plant strong lifestyle. Being Plant Strong, essentially, is a vegan lifestyle minus the "junk".

Happy Vegging!

Mara

Your diary on 3/11/14 - La Tortilla Factory, 100 Calorie Tortilla ingredients list: INGREDIENTS: WATER, WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR, CELLULOSE FIBER, WHEAT GLUTEN, RAISIN JUICE, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF THE FOLLOWING: GOLDEN FLAXSEED, CULTURED WHEAT (CULTURED WHEAT WITH ADDED VINEGAR), ALUMINUM FREE LEAVENING (SODIUM ACID PYROPHOSPHATE, SODIUM BICARBONATE, CORN STARCH, MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE), SEA SALT, VINEGAR, CALCIUM CARBONATE, GUAR GUM, DOUGH CONDITIONER (SODIUM STEAROYL LACTYLATE), XANTHAN GUM, TO MAINTAIN FRESHNESS (SORBIC ACID, CALCIUM PROPIONATE).

all natural.

Yes, wheat flour. And if you look at the Engine2 food line, you will see that with many items, a certain amount of preservatives is necessary. We all come from the convenience food era. The point is a WHOLE FOODS, PLANT BASED DIET.

Processed foods: artificial sweeteners, dairy, sugary cereals, hot dogs, white flour, white sugar, table salt, etc.
    Look into the documentaries before furthering your argument.

Is it such a problem that a person choose to get natural nutrients from plants and whole grains? I don't see why so many people are so annoyed with it.

I feel like a champ!!! Me and my talons!
  • sprocketism
    Options

Just curious.

well.... the PROCESS of putting the tomatoes into a can in a manufacturing facility for example...

And you know, the addition of additives and preservatives...

Not that there's anything WRONG with processed food

LOL, no canning tomatoes is canning tomatoes. Do the research. Processed foods hardly contain actual natural foods. Like sugary cereals, artificial sweeteners, soda, etc. A tomato in a can is a tomato in a can.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options

Yes it will. Did you know that eating Cheetos is like eating an egg according to the documentary? Oh the horror!!!

I guess you didn't read my link although you suggested people do research. Here it is again for future reference to those considering the movie.

http://rawfoodsos.com/2011/09/22/forks-over-knives-is-the-science-legit-a-review-and-critique/#more-1487
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Yes it will. Did you know that eating Cheetos is like eating an egg according to the documentary? Oh the horror!!!

I guess you didn't read my link although you suggested people do research. Here it is again for future reference to those considering the movie.

http://rawfoodsos.com/2011/09/22/forks-over-knives-is-the-science-legit-a-review-and-critique/#more-1487
    They don't want to read your link........it contradicts their "science" Looks like a higher correleation of heart disease with plant proteins
    Here is something very interesting left out of the China Study

"In my China Study critique last year, I pulled a bunch of data directly from “Diet, Life-style, and Mortality in China”—the same book Campbell and Chen are huddled around in that last picture—showing just how inconsistent the “plant-based diet is healthier” message really is. For instance, we’ve got peculiar things like this:

Plant protein has a correlation of 0.21 with heart disease (positive)
    Non-fish animal protein has a correlation of 0.01 with heart disease (neutral)
    Fish protein has a correlation of -0.11 with heart disease (inverse)
    Meat intake has a correlation of -0.28 with heart disease (strongly inverse)
    Fish intake has a correlation of -0.15 with heart disease (inverse)
    Egg intake has a correlation of -0.13 with heart disease (inverse)
    Wheat has a correlation of 0.67 with heart disease (really flippin’ high!)—which is not only the strongest association between any food and heart disease, but remained sky-high even when I tried adjusting for anything that might be confounding it.*"
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Is anyone here Plant Strong? What exactly is that, you ask?
    I'm guessing not you after all the contradictions in your diary pertaining to your OP concerning your statements about not eating processed food.

Not trying to be rude but if you are trying to educate people on something it is best to back up your declarations with facts and evidence.

Kinda the approach I took... haha. If you're going to preach, at least practice it yourself.

Here's where you'll find interesting brain food:
    (on Netflix)

Forks Over Knives
    Hungry For Change
    Food Matters
    Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead

These documentaries also have websites you can visit.

This Plant Strong lifestyle is about quality of life and health, eating as clean as possible to satisfy your body's un-evolved expectations (meaning, our body's have not changed since ancient times).

netflix is where you get your research? I don't know about anyone else but my brain turns to mush whenever I watch anything on Netflix. Not exactly the best source for credible research - but great for marathoning crappy shows!