Plateu before I began

Options
13»

Replies

• Krys052490
    Krys052490 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I added my pictures to my profile. The left one is pre-workout, the right is after almost 3 weeks. No changes :( If anything, it's worse.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    have you only been on this work out plan for three weeks?

It typically takes your body four to six weeks to adapt…

can you open your food diary?
  • Krys052490
    Options

Okay. I guess I just expected quick results then to slow down later. Is it just not like that because I'm not over weight?

I will open my food diary BUT I warn you, yesterday is NOT accurate. My cheat days I usually just slack off for my cheat meal and don't really track it.
  • Krys052490
    Options
    Myfitnesspal ORIGINALLY put me at like 1350 cals a day, which was MUCH too low.

Does anyone have an effective / accurate way to calculate calories?
  • ndj1979
    Options

Okay. I guess I just expected quick results then to slow down later. Is it just not like that because I'm not over weight?

I will open my food diary BUT I warn you, yesterday is NOT accurate. My cheat days I usually just slack off for my cheat meal and don't really track it.

do you own a food scale? you have a 'half cup of pasta" for one day but how did you measure that? I always weight out all my pasta, meat, etc. This is the most accurate way to track what you are actually consuming.

do you log ever tying you eat? If you have a cheat day you should really try to log everything because you may be wiping out your deficit for the week. Example you are on 500 calorie per day deficit which is one pound per week loss…you have a cheat day and don't log it ..but on that cheat day you over eat by 2500 calories (entirely possible) well then for the week you are only in 1000 cal deficit which is like a quarter pound loss, if that ….cheat days are OK randomly, but they should not be a weekly habit. A better idea is to make room in your day for what you want. so if you ant to have pizza for dinner ..log that first and then fill in the rest of your day so you are still in a deficit.

what are you using to measure exercise burns? If it is MFP or an exercise machine this is probably not accurate so if you are eaten those calories back you are probably consuming more.

I think the issue is calorie estimation and calories burned are not estimated correctly.

I would suggest just switching to TDEE Method….set your calories to 1600 a week (according to fat2fit you need 2100 to maintain) so this is a 500 per day deficit…when you exercise do not log it into MFP.

Set your macros to 40% protein/30% carbs/30% fats…

get a food scale and weight/measure log everything….

ETA - you may have to play around with the 1600 number as calculators are just that, calculators and they will not provide a 100% accurate measure...
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    My work out routine... When lifting I use as much weight as I can without injuring and still achieving my rep range. I'm not scared of big weight, which I know some women are. I just move up accordingly.

Day 1 -

Squats 3 Sets, 8-12 reps
    Lying leg curl 3 Sets, 8-12 reps
    Leg extension 3 Sets, 12-15 reps
    Hip thrusts 3 sets, 8-10 reps (with weight)
    Calf raises 3 sets, 10 Reps
    Random ab work

Day 2 -

Bench Press 3 Sets, 8-10 Reps
    DB Front Raise 3 Sets, 8-10 Reps
    Seated Row 3 Sets, 8-12 Reps
    DB Curl 4 Sets, 6-8 Reps
    Random ab work

Rest Day

Day 3 -

Leg Press 3 Sets, 8-10 Reps
    Lunges 3 Sets, 10 steps, with weight
    Leg Extensions 3 Sets, 12-15 Reps
    Lying leg curl 3 Sets, 8-10 Reps
    Random ab work

(I'd like to add in dead lifts)

Day 4-

Shoulder Press 3 Sets, 8-10 Reps
    DB Lateral Raise 3 Sets, 8-10 Reps
    Lat pulldown 3 Sets, 8-12 Reps
    Tricep Pushdown 4 Sets, 6-8 Reps
    Random ab work

3 times a week, I do the elliptical. 5 minute warm up on 7, then alternate by the minute between 9 and 5 for 25 minutes. Sometimes I do it on the same days as lifting, sometimes I don't. It just depends on my schedule.

I'd be willing tto do the stair stepper but I'm not completely sure my gym has one. It's a very small gym and I don't think I've ever seen one. I am NOT a runner. I hate running with a passion but I am open to other cardio ideas to change it up.

Looks like you are doing an upper/lower split four days a week? I do a similar routine.

I would remove the ab work from those four days and move it to one of your "rest" days.

My routine looks like this..Monday - upper; Tuesday - lower; wens - HIIT/ABs; thurs - upper; friday - lower; saturday 100% rest; sunday - active rest/light weights with more volume/reps/sometimes 100% rest…

I would also suggest not doing the cardio on your weight lifting days and doing it on your off days if you want…you should also have one, 100% rest day.

Are you doing TDEE method or MFP method…??

Are you doing barbell squats or dumbbell squats?

yes, I would add deadlifts on your lower day that you are not squatting.

Starting strength is a great resource for form on movements…if you have not read it, I would suggest reading it..

4 days, maybe 5 if I'm lucky is the MOST I can get to the gym in a week which is why I cardio and lift on the same days. My husband and I work opposite schedules. I have to take my 4 year old to the gym with me 2 of the 4 days, if I add any days she'd have to go more often. She already hates it and I do everything I can to make it enjoyable.

I don't know what MFP or TDEE is?

And I do barbell squats.

Is starting strength a sticky?

starting strength is a book about basic compound movements…it is a great resource.

Where did you come up with 1500 calories a day from?

There is also a good starting strength group on MFP if you are interested. It has great info and support.
  • Krys052490
    Options
    For cups, I measure with a cup but if there is a weight for grams / ounces I use the scale. I literally weigh constantly, I have almost cut out eating out because I can't measure it then.

So 1600 a day, weigh everything instead of cups etc?
  • Krys052490
    Options
    I keep track of my working out on the app but I don't eat back those calories because it's not accurate.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    For cups, I measure with a cup but if there is a weight for grams / ounces I use the scale. I literally weigh constantly, I have almost cut out eating out because I can't measure it then.

So 1600 a day, weigh everything instead of cups etc?

yes, weigh everything (when possible) and log everything, even the cheat days…but you should really limit "blow outs" to every few months..in my opinion….
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I keep track of my working out on the app but I don't eat back those calories because it's not accurate.

I actually keep a notebook and write down all my workouts in that so I can refer back to it….
  • karri82
    karri82 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I don't have any help to add as im still learning and relativly new to all this myself but from all the reading I've done off here I would definatly ignore jdb3388 an listen to ndj1979 he knows what he's talking about.
  • Krys052490
    Options

I actually keep a notebook and write down all my workouts in that so I can refer back to it….

Your advice in a nut shell...

- Eat 1600 cals a day.
    - 30% fat, 30% carbs, & 40% proteins.
    - Work out can stay the same
    - Monitor cheat meals (I limit it to meals)
    - Put activity in a note book
    - Blow outs are bi monthly if needed
    - Weigh everything when possible. No measuring cups.

Correct?
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    If the strength training routine is new, your body can take several weeks to adjust to strength training. During that time you retain extra water. You may find a drop in the scale in the next couple of weeks if you just hang in there.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4618-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

This is the link to the strong lifts 5X5 group for women. If you are interested, you may want to check it out.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Your advice in a nut shell...

- Eat 1600 cals a day.
    - 30% fat, 30% carbs, & 40% proteins.
    - Work out can stay the same
    - Monitor cheat meals (I limit it to meals)
    - Put activity in a note book
    - Blow outs are bi monthly if needed
    - Weigh everything when possible. No measuring cups.

Correct?

yes, that is correct…and if you have a cheat day log EVERYTHING and move on….

good luck..

feel free to add me...