Replies

• astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    lol.. great video..thanks

funny and informative and it comes down to brass tacks at 18.00

same yhing he said in his clean article

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/

he didnt really tell me anything new, but, they took a dump on people who dont understand IIFYM
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Just noting that the advice you've argued against for so long now apparently isn't "filling your body with toxins and poison." Glad to see you've come around.

That's a great point. Coach's beginnings around here were much... different.

They really weren't. have my views evolved? yep. but I started out working with people who weren't looking to become elite, and my clients at the time lost anywhere from 30-100+ pounds and did so in a sustainable fashion. Have I eased up a bit? sure. Was I ever as whacked out as you guys like to pretend? I don't think so. But hey, you're free to have your opinions.

STahp with the elite already. Didn't you get spanked enough that time that you said you were?

why are you so sensitive to that word?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Just noting that the advice you've argued against for so long now apparently isn't "filling your body with toxins and poison." Glad to see you've come around.

They really weren't. have my views evolved? yep. but I started out working with people who weren't looking to become elite, and my clients at the time lost anywhere from 30-100+ pounds and did so in a sustainable fashion. Have I eased up a bit? sure. Was I ever as whacked out as you guys like to pretend? I don't think so. But hey, you're free to have your opinions.

STahp with the elite already. Didn't you get spanked enough that time that you said you were?

He did that? How did I miss it? :laugh:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

why are you so sensitive to that word?

I am not - it makes you sound rather silly imo.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Reddy. I have actually seen your comments on some people's walls and in some threads - it is generally good advice and encouraging people to do their best, focus on goals and not 'sweat the small stuff'.

Unfortunately, you tend yo get side-tracked in these threads by trying to make a point or another,

Making comments about vitamin deficiencies that are not relevant and you cannot point to sources, throwing out 'elite' comments etc...it's a shame as I generally agree with the comments I have seen you make in threads that do not relate to 'clean eating' and IIFYM arguments, which, at the end of the day, are pretty much the same thing when applied in practice by the majority of people.

Talking about people 'not looking to be elite' is condescending to be honest and part of the reason why you are given such a hard time on here.

OK...what was this thread about again?
  • cwsreddy
    Options

I don't think anyone pretends you're whack. You're just.... not correct, and much of your advice is unsupported by evidence. Furthermore, when it comes to nitty-gritty science you often get the details and fundamental facts wrong. My problem with you isn't that you're "whacked out," it's that you give poor advice that is frequently unsupported or even contradicted by available evidence.

And you're welcomed to that opinion. I don't believe that available, universally accepted, nutritional science is up to par at this point, and many doctors and scientists agree. Many don't. You subscribe to the latter, and me the former. Simple as that.
  • cwsreddy
    Options

I didn't. I - in fact - said the opposite. I said that I'm NOT elite but would like to be.
  • jonnythan
    Options

I don't think anyone pretends you're whack. You're just.... not correct, and much of your advice is unsupported by evidence. Furthermore, when it comes to nitty-gritty science you often get the details and fundamental facts wrong. My problem with you isn't that you're "whacked out," it's that you give poor advice that is frequently unsupported or even contradicted by available evidence.

And you're welcomed to that opinion. I don't believe that available, universally accepted, nutritional science is up to par at this point, and many doctors and scientists agree. Many don't. You subscribe to the latter, and me the former. Simple as that.

Wait... which is the latter? Are there even two things there? I'm concerned you are telling people I "subscribe to" something I don't. :laugh:
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    i wondr how mnay people actually watched the video...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

I didn't. I - in fact - said the opposite. I said that I'm NOT elite but would like to be.

lol....oh yes you did. It was hysterical.
  • cwsreddy
    Options

Wait... which is the latter? Are there even two things there? I'm concerned you are telling people I "subscribe to" something I don't. :laugh:

Many agree (former) that nutritional science is not up to par

Many don't (latter) think there's a problem with currently accepted nutritional science
  • cwsreddy
    Options

quote?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    i wondr how mnay people actually watched the video...

Probably about as many people who will read that (very good) article you posted.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    I've never heard anyone say that IIFYM is a free pass to eat whatever you want. Didn't have time to watch the video.

^this

Well, sort of. I've heard people say that those who follow IIFYM eat nothing but "junk"/fast food, but those are people who don't understand how IIFYM works.

Thanks Jof. You saved me from having to clarify my comment from early this morning. There are many misguided people on MFP that do not interpret anything correctly - IIFYM is just one of them.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Reddy. I have actually seen your comments on some people's walls and in some threads - it is generally good advice and encouraging people to do their best, focus on goals and not 'sweat the small stuff'.

Unfortunately, you tend yo get side-tracked in these threads by trying to make a point or another,

Making comments about vitamin deficiencies that are not relevant and you cannot point to sources, throwing out 'elite' comments etc...it's a shame as I generally agree with the comments I have seen you make in threads that do not relate to 'clean eating' and IIFYM arguments, which, at the end of the day, are pretty much the same thing when applied in practice by the majority of people.

Talking about people 'not looking to be elite' is condescending to be honest and part of the reason why you are given such a hard time on here.

what Reddy doesn't understand is that "clean eating" is a subset of IIFYM. to the extent that "clean eating" works, it's because under the hood, that person is really doing IIFYM without realizing it.

the problem is that "clean eating" is being given the credit for that success, and therefore Reddy assumes that it was the dietary restriction that was the important component.

IIFYM'ers see these assertions and try to correct them, not because they are anti-"clean eating" per se, but because "clean eating" can lead to all sorts of obsessive and destructive feelings about diet and food in some people, and also, that the same results can be achieved while ignoring "clean eating" altogether.

the human body truly does not care where it gets its nutrients. it's just a bunch of chemical processes involved in the digestion of food. so long as all of the macro- and micro-nutrient needs are being met, our bodies don't care if we get our nutrients from a "clean" diet, a "dirty" diet, or some combination thereof.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

quote?

I am not going back search for a year old thread (that has probably been deleted/locked like most of yours were) to find a thread under your old account. People can either take my word for it or not *shrugs*
  • jonnythan
    Options

Many don't (latter) think there's a problem with currently accepted nutritional science

That doesn't even make any sense. Regardless, I wouldn't say that I "don't think that there's a problem with currently accepted nutritional science." In fact I think there is very much wrong with currently-accepted nutritional science, and you know it. You participated in the same "cholesterol and saturated fat" thread I did today.

The science is lacking in many, many areas. Many things that are commonly-accepted by the medical community are wrong. We have to work with the evidence we have and not simply make up things to fill in the gaps.
  • cwsreddy
    Options

what Reddy doesn't understand is that "clean eating" is a subset of IIFYM. to the extent that "clean eating" works, it's because under the hood, that person is really doing IIFYM without realizing it.

the problem is that "clean eating" is being given the credit for that success, and therefore Reddy assumes that it was the dietary restriction that was the important component.

IIFYM'ers see these assertions and try to correct them, not because they are anti-"clean eating" per se, but because "clean eating" can lead to all sorts of obsessive and destructive feelings about diet and food in some people, and also, that the same results can be achieved while ignoring "clean eating" altogether.

the human body truly does not care where it gets its nutrients. it's just a bunch of chemical processes involved in the digestion of food. so long as all of the macro- and micro-nutrient needs are being met, our bodies don't care if we get our nutrients from a "clean" diet, a "dirty" diet, or some combination thereof.

some great points. but as to nutrients, bioavailability says otherwise. our body does care where we get nutrients from.
  • cwsreddy
    Options

quote?

I am not going back search for a year old thread (that has probably been deleted/locked like most of yours were) to find a thread under your old account. People can either take my word for it or not *shrugs*

ohhhh yeah. no we're talking about today. Johnny thinks I said it today.

we're all familiar with that fateful thread
  • cwsreddy
    Options

That doesn't even make any sense. Regardless, I wouldn't say that I "don't think that there's a problem with currently accepted nutritional science." In fact I think there is very much wrong with currently-accepted nutritional science, and you know it. You participated in the same "cholesterol and saturated fat" thread I did today.

The science is lacking in many, many areas. Many things that are commonly-accepted by the medical community are wrong. We have to work with the evidence we have and not simply make up things to fill in the gaps.

you say it doesn't make sense, then expound upon my statement showing it makes perfect sense... lolwut?