Is it ok to have no ink in today's society?

Options

Replies

• sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    My body is so messed up, I figured adding a tattoo, couldn't make it any uglier.

Certified, professional sloth
    Hates IKEA
    Hates the phone, Loves the internet
    Generally knows jacksh*t about fitness, but is trying
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    I have NO problem with people who have tattoos. I think many of them are really cool. Others, not so much, but it's not my body so I don't care. However, I will never have one myself. My mom's family is Jewish and out of respect to my ancestors who had numbers forcibly tattooed on them during the Holocaust, I will not get any tats.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I have no ink, do not judge those with ink, actually I love ink. However, I am afraid of needles and my husband hates tattoos, so no ink for me.

My daughter wants ink, I had told her to wait till she was 18, so she wouldn't regret it later. She has no $ so no ink yet. My thinking, its your body, do what you want.
  • s1rens0ng
    s1rens0ng Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I love tattoos, I want a sleeve doing when I can eventually afford the 900 pound it's gna cost :/

wha???? your getting ripped off if you pay £900 for a sleeve!

OP its like everyone getting piercings .. its been around forever its a trend right now and not for everyone and theres nothing wrong with being an individual.

i have just the one and having more added to it over time.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I have NO problem with people who have tattoos. I think many of them are really cool. Others, not so much, but it's not my body so I don't care. However, I will never have one myself. My mom's family is Jewish and out of respect to my ancestors who had numbers forcibly tattooed on them during the Holocaust, I will not get any tats.

I understand completely, my mom has a problem with them for that reason too. My father's cousin had numbers on her arm.
  • JnK619
    JnK619 Posts: 320
    Options
    Thought about it from time to time, it always comes down to $ for me. I can always justify the $ going to something else
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    i have no tattoos and am proud
    the most i can do is one of my daughters ones which you stick on with water.
    no one is scraping a needle on my skin ta.

its really up to the individual what they do with their own skin.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,533 Member
    Options
    The first ink I saw was on my Dad. He got it in WWII.

Fast forward to his Senior years....Dad's tat turned into one massive black/dark spotch on his arm. We all thought it was a bruise or a horrible skin problem, that's how bad it looked, and wanted the dr to look at it.

He reminded us it was his Navy tattoo.

No tats for me. :wink:
  • Zaftique
    Zaftique Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Wait... I currently have no ink... am I a *kitten*/sailor or not? There seems to be conflicting assessments.

What if I get henna? Does that just make me a little bit slutty and a riverboat captain? I'm so confused..

What level of inkiness do I need to be slightly "fast" and someone who enjoys walking on the beach? Ballpoint pen?
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    I'll let you borrow some of mine, but you must return it by midnight.
  • veganstephanie
    veganstephanie Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have 8 that personally mean something to me. the last two were my 5 year olds name and my tattoo that says epilepsy messed with the wrong chick with a little chick underneath it. that one makes me proud of where I've come from to where I am now. another one reminds me of the day when I was 25, my mom was 51, and my grandma was 77 and we all got a tattoo together. my grandpa had just died and it was in memory of him for my grandpa. if you want one, get it, if you don't want one, it's ok, but it's your decision and if anybody judges you they can just kiss your butt. :laugh:
  • lbwhitley
    Options
    Nothing wrong with not having any ink....just like there's nothing wrong with having ink. It's a personal preference and anyone who judges... well their the one with the problem not you. Live Free!
  • eliseofthejungle
    eliseofthejungle Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Ink or no ink - I judge everyone equally. :wink:
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options

I never thought of that angle. Hm.
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    probably 75% or more of my friends have them (and most of them will have had them since the 70's) I've never really found a design i could live with for live and that was my basis for decision. Also the stuff buddies had done in the 70's got dated or faded and had to be covered up. Since most of them are full time musicians it's almost a job requirement to have a tattoo. I had/have a lot of piercings (that I did myself in the 70's with soap a needle and a bottle of gin lol) most rarely have anything in them now but i keep them open for when i want to wear something
    I've also had pretty much any colour you could name as a hair colour at one point or another (most by 1978 bur a few since - I haven't dyed the hair in 4 or 5 years now and most recently it was more normal hues. For a couple of decades though it was a variant on Blue Black (which probably held me back in my career but wth)
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Thing is when most people have tattoos it makes you the one who stands out by not having any.

Tattoos used to symbolize rebellion of cultural norms. What happens when they become the norm?

That being said, I can't wait to get my first one.

I can't wait to SEE your first one!

I have 2 and am thinking about # 3.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I love tattoos, I want a sleeve doing when I can eventually afford the 900 pound it's gna cost :/

wha???? your getting ripped off if you pay £900 for a sleeve!

OP its like everyone getting piercings .. its been around forever its a trend right now and not for everyone and theres nothing wrong with being an individual.

i have just the one and having more added to it over time.

I'm not sure about the conversion but I would NEVER pay less than $1000 USD for a full sleeve.
  • alpha_andy
    alpha_andy Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Tatt free here. Christian values beaten into me... they die hard.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I have none and don't plan to. It's simply not my style. However, I know and care about many wonderful people who do. They are neither sailors nor *kitten*. They are not "trashy" in the slightest.