Confession: I'm a slow runner

Options

Replies

• MrsK20141004
    MrsK20141004 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Faster than me! On the treadmill I'm happy if I do a mile quicker than 11 minutes.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I love this post and keep on running!
  • KatVarley
    KatVarley Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Any run without injury is a great run. Remember a 6 minute mile is the same distance as a 12 minute mile (just need a little more time set aside to get there). You are doing great. In life, in general, we need to stop keeping up with the Jones'. If you push yourself too hard, it will be at risk of your own injury and then you won't be doing and finishing anything for a while with your friends.

I've been running for a few years. My best time in a 5k was 9mm. I was elated. Normally I was at 10.5 pace. I have had a few injuries to work back from in the last year and a half in addition to a bit of a weight gain that followed. I welcome my finish line time of 11 -13mm with pride for being out there. :smile:
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    That's a fantastic pace! I can run at 12 minute miles now, hopefully I will feel good enough to run a 9 minute mile but I really enjoyed running slow and relaxing!
  • laurajo521
    laurajo521 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I mostly walk. I am not a great runner. In fact, when I am really into speed walking, my walking laps are faster than my running laps. I just keep moving. The best thing about running/walking is that you're really not competing against anyone but yourself.
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    love this =)
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Yes ma'am. I am slow and I am ok with it... I can relate

I have had this coversation before with friends so I enjoyed the read.
  • Veggie_mama
    Veggie_mama Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm slower than a tortoise running through molasses wearing peanut butter shoes.
    But, I run because I can and for the way it makes me feel after a good run.
    I don't pay any attention to speed, I just listen to my body and go as fast as I feel.
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    Slow???
    I generally run ~12 minute miles. I was ecstatic when I recently ran 1 mile, and only 1 mile at 11:29.
    My goal now is to string together many more 11:29 miles.
  • sklarbodds
    sklarbodds Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Excellent read :)

I am a bit faster (though nowhere near competition level) but the most common response I get to asking people to go run with me is, "I'm not as fast as you".

I try to tell them I don't care, it's just fun to have someone to run with and they can set whatever pace they want (a 5 mile run is still a good workout at a slower speed).

Bottom line, As long as you get out and run, it doesn't matter the pace! :)

Good work OP :)
  • tallieterp
    tallieterp Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I'm slower than a tortoise running through molasses wearing peanut butter shoes.
    But, I run because I can and for the way it makes me feel after a good run.
    I don't pay any attention to speed, I just listen to my body and go as fast as I feel.

as you can see I share this belief as it is my profile pic! haha... I am thrilled when I get under a 12 min mile... I know i'll never be a speed demon but slow and steady and knowing that I've done the best I can do is what matters... just gotta keep repeating that mantra...
  • msthang444
    msthang444 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I would hardly consider a 10:30 mile pace slow. I'd love to be able to do that myself!

Ditto!!
  • Mich4871
    Mich4871 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I did a 5 miler this morning, averaged 11.5... slow, fast, medicore... who cares??? It felt great!
  • caseys29
    caseys29 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    That is not slow! That's a great pace! When I started running I was a 15-17 min/miler! Now I average 10:00-11:00 and I feel that is a great pace (for me!)

Don't worry about what others are running!

Thank you for posting this! I've just started running in the last couple of months and average about 17 minutes a mile. Last night I did my first 15 minute mile and was ecstatic, even though it's still super slow. It's disheartening to see people calling themselves slow at times I can only dream about. I have my first 5K next month and my goal is around 50 minutes, which is horribly slow, but I only have room for improvement, I guess. I don't feel like I'll ever get to a 10 minute mile, but obviously carrying a hundred extra pounds has to be slowing me down a bit. :wink:
  • monstergirl14
    monstergirl14 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Oh gawd, if that's slow, I'm screwed. I love running 5 mph.. 12 minute miles.. haha.. oh dear. If I go 6+, I'm out of breath quite fast.
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I am a runner, and a happy one; but I am not competitive about it. I run, not because I want to be better than others, but because I want be better than myself. It doesn't matter how fast I run or how far I run. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. I just run; typically, about 5 miles a day.
  • barefootbridgey
    barefootbridgey Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm with everybody else - I'd hardly consider that slow. I have friends who are new runners who run 14 minute miles. I remember being pumped when I started running 12 minute miles regularly. Longer (4-13 miles) I tend to hover around 11 minute miles and I'm pretty proud of that, 5k pace is more like high8s/9min miles, depending in who I run with. Pace is pace...it's no big deal. Just run. And love it

Or hate it. Because let's face it, the first few miles are just awful. ;)
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I'm a slow runner too. About the pace of the OP. For awhile I tried to make myself go faster, did some HIIT, timed myself every run, etc. it killed the joy of running for me. In fact, I almost quit! I had started reading about how running was only good if you did HIIT, and not to go very much beyond 20 minutes, etc. I even had to start running my route backwards so that I wasn't checking my watch every quarter mile or so. I actually stopped running for about six weeks and really had to get my head straight. When I started back I realized that I enjoyed a slow, easy pace for as long as my schedule would allow (usually not as long as I would like!). I've been going strong ever since, and I never figure my time anymore. I've never done a race, either. Not even a 5k. Maybe I will someday, but that is not what it is about for me. For me it is like meditation. My mind runs free while my body runs! I solve problems, come up with creative projects (I am in a creative field), and daydream. And I love it.

Thanks OP and others for validating my feelings. I am not alone!
  • greytniki
    greytniki Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    LOL...isn't perspective a wonderful and contradictful thing? I'm a runner. I love running. I never thought I would. I've had a lot of physical obstacles in my way including a car accident resultng in a closed head injury and a MC accident that left my right foot shattered and back surgery in December 2013. But I run. My pace currently with one week of "surgeon authorized" running behind me is between a 14 and 15 minute mile.