News - woman asked to cover her toned body in the gym?

Options

Replies

• arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Its planet fitness. Same place that gives out pizza one day a week. Its the judgement zone for those that want to actually workout. Its nothing new at this point. They have cater to a crowd and they make alot of money because of it.
  • Penfoldsplace
    Options
    The derogatory way some have talked about PF members on here kind of illustrates why some people may feel more comfortable starting out in that environment.

I have no gripe with PF members, unless they share the same mindset as PF marketing.

My issue is entirely with the company itself.

Why the gripe when it's obviously not catered towards you? For example I'm vegetarian so I am not going to go to KFC and tell them I dislike their chicken serving policy. They are not designed for me and my life style choices, I just don't go there.

I'm starting to get the feeling that I'm the only person who joins the gym closest to her current residence who expects to be able to do her exercise routine at her gym she pays for...

My closest gym isn't great and costs about double what I'm paying for my current gym which takes a bit longer to get to but it's worth it. I put forward some suggestions to the local gym when they had an open day but other than that it's not like they owe me anything. If they are making money then I doubt they will change.
  • irakrishna1
    irakrishna1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I kind of agree with the gym. I belong to a gym where there is a lot of extremely fit people and it does kind of intimidate you when I see a woman walking around in a sports bra and I've been on the treadmill for ten minutes sweating like a pig. They advertise that they are a gym without "stereotypes" and they have a fan base because of that reason. They have to stick to their advertising or they will be like all the other gyms. I believe it's just from a business standpoint.

No, it intimidates YOU...not me. And I'm an overweight woman (granted, a lot less overweight than I used to be:). When I see in-shape ladies at the gym, I think, damn...I want those arms or that booty or whatever. Helps me work harder. In-shape people should not have to choose their work out clothing to help others feel better about themselves. Sheesh, people.

This.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Very newsworthy.
  • ezloshead
    ezloshead Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Read the last comment in the last few seconds.

Planet Fitness has a dress code.

You don't like it or don't want to abide by it?

Don't join a Planet Fitness.

While I don't agree with the dress code, its not our call to make.

Right, but the employee shouldn't have brought up the shape of her body. That was completely uncalled for. It made it personal instead of just asking her to abide by their rules.
  • dllewis7
    dllewis7 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    The only thing I've noticed on their dress code is "No Jeans" and "No street shoes". I'm going to look at that more closely tomorrow when I go in!

BECAUSE, gosh, having lost over 30 lbs this past winter, I've started wearing my form fitting yoga tops and pants. God, I feel so much more healthy now and I don't know if I'll ever be able to go back to loose sweats and t-shirts. At 57, of course, I'll never look as hot as most of the gals there but still - no one better tell me to cover it up if I'm wearing exercise clothes. LOL

Can't wait to report on what the dress code really says.
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    So, you have a right to wear what you want and show off your body. But I, who may have a different opinion on modesty, do not have the right to join a fitness club which, I think, reflects my values. You should be able to join said club and violate the agreed upon rules because you want to, and I have no say in the matter. Because I am just jealous of your hot self.
    Got it.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Why does this thread keep derailing to dress code?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    The derogatory way some have talked about PF members on here kind of illustrates why some people may feel more comfortable starting out in that environment.

I have no gripe with PF members, unless they share the same mindset as PF marketing.

My issue is entirely with the company itself.

Why the gripe when it's obviously not catered towards you? For example I'm vegetarian so I am not going to go to KFC and tell them I dislike their chicken serving policy. They are not designed for me and my life style choices, I just don't go there.

If they had a whole ad campaign that mocked vegetarians an encouraged meat-eaters to judge and avoid them I'd take issue with that, yes. If they asked people who were eating salads at their location to please have some meat too because their vegetarianism was intimidating the other guests then yes, I'd take issue with that too.

That said, I'm not saying that PF shouldn't be allowed to run their business as they see fit. I'm just saying that I think it's lousy to make money off of the fears/prejudices of their members (yes I know, there are PLENTY of businesses doing the same.) They've taken what could be a good thing (a gym where people could feel comfortable no matter what they look like) and twisted it into "come here and you'll never have to deal with THAT kind of person." What kind? The ones who have already achieved a healthy body. Shock horror. And they're telling everyone that it's okay to judge fit people and assume they're awful just because they're fit. I think that sucks.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Of course I do. Doesn't everyone?

You really should!

I agree with just about everyone in this thread. :tongue:

I have no problem with people choosing skimpy gym attire. I'm someone who overheats easily and gets irritated by moving fabric. (I wear baggier clothing to the gym right now, so I'm not feeling defensive here.)

I agree that Planet Fitness needs to drop the "No Judgment Zone" refrain because it's clearly ridiculous and hypocritical. There really isn't any need to tear others down to sell what they're trying to promote. They should just be 1000% upfront: "We are a gym for the out of shape and the beginners. Whether it makes sense to you or not, some people feel insecure and don't go to the gym because of that. We are the gym for those people. When you no longer fit in that group, we will congratulate you and refer you to a gym more suited to your current needs." Or whatever. (The lunk alarm just sounds like an accident waiting to happen. I wouldn't go to PF because of the lunk alarm. The last thing I need is an injury because someone thinks it's funny to ridicule members instead of privately and discretely enforcing the rules.)

I don't think this is a big deal at all. She was offered a shirt and got her money back. There's a dress code. If I complained publicly about every business that said something stupid to me, I'd never have time to do anything else. (I get why people complain about really egregious comments. I just don't think this is one.)

Did PF acknowledge that they actually said that? I wasn't there, so I don't know what was said, and I'm not taking one of their words for the other over this.

Finally, is that top magic? Because it looks like workout gear, but it looks so unsupportive. I want that outfit now, but to lounge around in.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Glad to see this thread is still going. Have they burned the poor ho at the stake yet for exposing her shoulders? I mean, that's clearly what she deserves, right?
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    Have they burned the poor ho at the stake yet for exposing her shoulders?

No, I'm waiting for her to give me her outfit.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Is it supposed to be about your leg?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

You really should!

I have no problem with people choosing skimpy gym attire. I'm someone who overheats easily and gets irritated by moving fabric. (I wear baggier clothing to the gym right now, so I'm not feeling defensive here.)

I agree that Planet Fitness needs to drop the "No Judgment Zone" refrain because it's clearly ridiculous and hypocritical. There really isn't any need to tear others down to sell what they're trying to promote. They should just be 1000% upfront: "We are a gym for the out of shape and the beginners. Whether it makes sense to you or not, some people feel insecure and don't go to the gym because of that. We are the gym for those people. When you no longer fit in that group, we will congratulate you and refer you to a gym more suited to your current needs." Or whatever. (The lunk alarm just sounds like an accident waiting to happen. I wouldn't go to PF because of the lunk alarm. The last thing I need is an injury because someone thinks it's funny to ridicule members instead of privately and discretely enforcing the rules.)

I don't think this is a big deal at all. She was offered a shirt and got her money back. There's a dress code. If I complained publicly about every business that said something stupid to me, I'd never have time to do anything else. (I get why people complain about really egregious comments. I just don't think this is one.)

Did PF acknowledge that they actually said that? I wasn't there, so I don't know what was said, and I'm not taking one of their words for the other over this.

Finally, is that top magic? Because it looks like workout gear, but it looks so unsupportive. I want that outfit now, but to lounge around in.

:laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

Is it supposed to be about your leg?

All the threads are now about Jof's leg.
  • likitisplit
    Options

You really should!

They don't really have a dress code. I've linked to a few articles that underline the fact that it's "make it up as you go" and arbitrarily enforced.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    They don't really have a dress code. I've linked to a few articles that underline the fact that it's "make it up as you go" and arbitrarily enforced.

Ok. If she hadn't gotten her money refunded, I'd agree with this being a real problem. (I'd say the same thing if it happened to an overweight person.)

On the other hand, I'm a big fan of boycotting. I'd have no issue with her complaining that the dress code is arbitrary and encouraging a boycott based on that aspect.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    I wonder what would have happened if someone wears a t-shirt that says, "Stay off my treadmill or I'll cut a b!tch"
    'Cause THAT might be intimidating.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I have to say, if she violated the dress code she should have been approached. I workout at the Y, they would approach you at the door if you walked through wearing something like that. My guess if that is actually what the staff member said to her was true, that staff member was probably nervous and could use some coaching on what to say in that situation.
  • likitisplit
    Options

Ok. If she hadn't gotten her money refunded, I'd agree with this being a real problem. (I'd say the same thing if it happened to an overweight person.)

On the other hand, I'm a big fan of boycotting. I'd have no issue with her complaining that the dress code is arbitrary and encouraging a boycott based on that aspect.

I think that's what's happening.