News - woman asked to cover her toned body in the gym?

Options

Replies

• ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I dont know what to make out of this news item. Most often I'm trying to cover up because I'm not yet happy in my own skin and here is someone who is comfortable in her own body and now she needs to cover up because she is intimidating others. Apparently that's the gym's policy, to not intimidate people.

http://www.cnn.com/video/standard.html?/video/us/2014/03/19/dnt-woman-asked-cover-up-at-gym.ktvu&hpt=hp_c3&from_homepage=yes&video_referrer=http://www.cnn.com/

http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/national/gym-tells-woman-shes-intimidating-guests-toned-bod/nfGWc/

It's the new culture. We are evolving more and more into a weak minded nation.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    New NsV goal: get kicked out of PF for being "too toned"

IFKR? I'd pay ten bucks a month for the satisfaction of one day being told I intimidate people with how toned I am.

This chick is living my dream.

IN .. for the dream. I have my $10 ready !

I like that goal

however I'll more likely be kicked out for accidentally grunting or accidentally dropping a barbell on the floor.....
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    How many of you were there when this woman was told that she was in violation of the dress code. None. That's what I thought. Yet, we are all taking this woman's word as gospel. Of course, she is telling the truth. Of course, it couldn't be that simple that she violated the code and was asked to cover up or she would have to leave. Of course, that ogre of a worker was wrong. No one who works for a corporation could ever be in the right.

You know, no one wants to admit they are wrong so when they retell the story, they add to it to make sure that people side with them. Think about the last time something along those lines happened to you. What sort of story did you spin?

I wonder if it was the woman's attitude rather than her body or tank top that was intimidating. I wasn't there and only have her statements to go by but I think there is more to the story.

let me get this straight.you were not there; yet, you somehow know there is more to the story????

I said I THINK there is more to the story. I never said I knew anything for certain. I've known folks, however, who would go in with an attitude towards the other patrons and/or the staff, wear the prohibited item for the sake of ticking them off, and then cry foul when forced to face the consequences. I don't KNOW that this particular woman had an attitude, but neither of us KNOW she didn't. We weren't there to hear her address the employees, or, for that matter, we didn't hear how the employees addressed her. Her idea of harassment might have been my idea of a friendly reminder - especially if she came in wearing the same or similar outfit. If the story happened exactly as she says then I feel PF needs to fix their definition of "dress code" and "intimidating" and some of their employees need a lesson in customer service. I'm just not ready to jump on the "lets all hate PF" bandwagon as of yet. I'd like to hear the other side first, okay with you?

FTR - I mostly don't care what people wear to workout in. I'd rather not see butt cracks and excessive cleavage but otherwise to each their own. And no, I won't run to management if I see a butt crack or a half a breast, but if you insist on displaying it I may wrinkle my nose or roll my eyes.

Edited to fix a word.

I am not the one making assumptions about something that I did not witness..

I am not a fan of PF because of the lunk alarm, no deadlifting, et al rules that they have, which are factual...
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

IFKR? I'd pay ten bucks a month for the satisfaction of one day being told I intimidate people with how toned I am.

I like that goal

however I'll more likely be kicked out for accidentally grunting or accidentally dropping a barbell on the floor.....

Assuming there were barbells to drop
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options

I like that goal

BYOB?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

I like that goal

I believe PF's are all smith machines....
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    We should stage a massive protest. We can call it something like tank top-ageddon. On a day, everyone, everywhere goes into PF. Pay the ten dollars to join. And then Bam! Everyone is working out in crop tops with spaghetti straps.

Although I know they would benefit from all the money. I'm just joking.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    We should stage a massive protest. We can call it something like tank top-ageddon. On a day, everyone, everywhere goes into PF. Pay the ten dollars to join. And then Bam! Everyone is working out in crop tops with spaghetti straps.

Although I know they would benefit from all the money. I'm just joking.

*buys men's belly shirt*
  • elodea
    elodea Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I agree that PF's over accentuating the anti-mega workout ethos is ridiculous. I get paranoid every time I almost hit the weights because I'm still so out of shape that I get tired at the end - or I even just misjudge the range - and when it bangs the weight stack I worry someone will look over. BUT when I think about how cheap it is to be a member - and how expensive all the other gyms are in my area - I'm just glad there's a place I can afford. I can workout at home but it's nice to have somewhere to go when I find myself not motivated once I get home from work. PF gives me a cheap alternative and I don't feel ripped off if I only get there once or twice a week. I've had a membership at a much more expensive gym and it STILL didn't get me there, even though I was blowing $30/month for that year. So for all it's stupid marketing - until I get in good enough shape that I'm willing to pay more for a better gym - it works for me at $10/month.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

This and I also hate my clothes bunching up on me. A tight pair of athletic pants is WAY more comfy than a pair of shorts that crawl and bunch when you're running.I hate t-shirts when I'm running or boxing. Can't stand worrying about tucking it in when I'm planking so that someone cant see up my shirt. I can't imagine doing box jumps with a t-shirt flopping around.

I also like seeing my strength gains. When I am boxing, I like seeing the muscles pop in my shoulders and biceps. When I am lifting, I like being able to see which muscle groupings are being activated. I like feeling proud of my accomplishment.

So for me it's clear that I'd never want to go there. I go where I am comfortable.

Which right now, apart from my boxing club. Is at home in my basement.

My cat doesn't complain about my short shorts, knee highs and sport bra.

OMG.............do you also kiss the mirror while you 'pop' here there and everywhere:ohwell:

Unnecessary, petty, catty and RUDE. You have NO idea how hard this woman works for her body, and closely watching yourself when working out is a good way to improve form and see how your muscles are developing. Come back when you've hit your goal and look even a tenth as good as she does.

Awe, thank you! :flowerforyou:

In her defence, I maaaaaay have come of sounding self absorbed, so I wasn't overly offended by it. :)

I don't think she needs to compare to me, as I'm a bit off where many women want to be. :) Her perception of her own muscularity may still change as she nears her own goal.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options

This and I also hate my clothes bunching up on me. A tight pair of athletic pants is WAY more comfy than a pair of shorts that crawl and bunch when you're running.I hate t-shirts when I'm running or boxing. Can't stand worrying about tucking it in when I'm planking so that someone cant see up my shirt. I can't imagine doing box jumps with a t-shirt flopping around.

I also like seeing my strength gains. When I am boxing, I like seeing the muscles pop in my shoulders and biceps. When I am lifting, I like being able to see which muscle groupings are being activated. I like feeling proud of my accomplishment.

So for me it's clear that I'd never want to go there. I go where I am comfortable.

OMG.............do you also kiss the mirror while you 'pop' here there and everywhere:ohwell:

Unnecessary, petty, catty and RUDE. You have NO idea how hard this woman works for her body, and closely watching yourself when working out is a good way to improve form and see how your muscles are developing. Come back when you've hit your goal and look even a tenth as good as she does.

In her defence, I maaaaaay have come of sounding self absorbed, so I wasn't overly offended by it. :)

I don't think she needs to compare to me, as I'm a bit off where many women want to be. :) Her perception of her own muscularity may still change as she nears her own goal.

Didn't mean to white knight, I just can't stand people who assume "working hard" = "self absorbed".
    If I have a choice between getting my workout in or doing my hair and makeup in the morning? I'm doing my workout.
    Do I look in the mirror when I'm lifting weight? Heck yes I do, to check I'm doing it properly.
    Some people have different priorities, that doesn't make anyone more or less vain than the other.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Glad to see this thread is still going. Have they burned the poor ho at the stake yet for exposing her shoulders? I mean, that's clearly what she deserves, right?

Not her shoulders, its her stomach and back, bare, sweating on the equipment that I want to use without her or anyone elses funk all over the vinyl seats.

Do you have sex with your clothes on too? I mean bare skin, sweating and heavy breathing you most definitely don't like.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Heck, I'm nowhere near where you are and I like to check out my delts in the mirror. Nothing freaking wrong with appreciating yourself.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    She's in Northern CA. I think we all know what's happening

Intrigued. Please do elaborate. I am always interested in how Nor Cal is viewed from afar.

How it's viewed from afar? BMW got sued because a guy in San Francisco got aroused by riding on one of their motorcycles.
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    i dont like her top. doesnt fit her right. nice color though. i like pink. i hope she joins a better gym.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    How many of you were there when this woman was told that she was in violation of the dress code. None. That's what I thought. Yet, we are all taking this woman's word as gospel. Of course, she is telling the truth. Of course, it couldn't be that simple that she violated the code and was asked to cover up or she would have to leave. Of course, that ogre of a worker was wrong. No one who works for a corporation could ever be in the right.

You know, no one wants to admit they are wrong so when they retell the story, they add to it to make sure that people side with them. Think about the last time something along those lines happened to you. What sort of story did you spin?

I wonder if it was the woman's attitude rather than her body or tank top that was intimidating. I wasn't there and only have her statements to go by but I think there is more to the story.

let me get this straight.you were not there; yet, you somehow know there is more to the story????

I said I THINK there is more to the story. I never said I knew anything for certain. I've known folks, however, who would go in with an attitude towards the other patrons and/or the staff, wear the prohibited item for the sake of ticking them off, and then cry foul when forced to face the consequences. I don't KNOW that this particular woman had an attitude, but neither of us KNOW she didn't. We weren't there to hear her address the employees, or, for that matter, we didn't hear how the employees addressed her. Her idea of harassment might have been my idea of a friendly reminder - especially if she came in wearing the same or similar outfit. If the story happened exactly as she says then I feel PF needs to fix their definition of "dress code" and "intimidating" and some of their employees need a lesson in customer service. I'm just not ready to jump on the "lets all hate PF" bandwagon as of yet. I'd like to hear the other side first, okay with you?

FTR - I mostly don't care what people wear to workout in. I'd rather not see butt cracks and excessive cleavage but otherwise to each their own. And no, I won't run to management if I see a butt crack or a half a breast, but if you insist on displaying it I may wrinkle my nose or roll my eyes.

Edited to fix a word.

I am not the one making assumptions about something that I did not witness..

I am not a fan of PF because of the lunk alarm, no deadlifting, et al rules that they have, which are factual...

Actually there have been quite a few assumptions made in this thread, mostly that the girl was completely honest and the PF was completely in the wrong. We don't have all the facts, therefore this entire thread is nothing but speculation and assumption. At least in regards to the OP. The rest I'll take your word on as I'm not, nor have I ever been, a member of PF. You are free to not be a fan for however many reasons you want to list -you'll find I never said otherwise. I'm not a fan of public gyms in general which is why I work out at home where the only dress code is the one I decide on. And I try to avoid any place that routinely sets off obnoxious alarms for whatever reason.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    My gym has a dress code and her top would not pass because of the mid-drift showing.

I have never seen anyone dressed inappropriately, but I can guarantee they would be asked to leave if they were.

Grunting is okay, they have tons of weights, multiple power cages and squat racks, olympic lifting platforms with bumper plates and tons of cardio equipment;.

Anyway, easy enough to follow a simple dress code.
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Read the last comment in the last few seconds.

Planet Fitness has a dress code.

You don't like it or don't want to abide by it?

Don't join a Planet Fitness.

While I don't agree with the dress code, its not our call to make.

Yes, this. I do believe they were "stupid" in how they told her to cover up, very unprofessional. All they had to do is remind her of the dress code and tell her she needed to cover up. Someone else mentioned those panties the young ladies wear to the gym, one girl had to keep pulling hers from her butt they were so short. THAT is ugly!
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I see nothing wrong with what she was wearing. She has a great body. Don't be a hater, congratulate her!!!!
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    She's in Northern CA. I think we all know what's happening

Intrigued. Please do elaborate. I am always interested in how Nor Cal is viewed from afar.

How it's viewed from afar? BMW got sued because a guy in San Francisco got aroused by riding on one of their motorcycles.

Hmmm . . . not sure how this relates -- she's setting up for a lawsuit of some kind? Or PF is worried about a lawsuit due to her bare hotness?

Anyway - hadn't before heard of the BMW suit. I will assume that BMW responded with something akin to: "Plaintiff confuses a feature with a bug." :smile: