News - woman asked to cover her toned body in the gym?

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    yes but that is planet fitness's business motto: they also don't let people throw weights or grunt while lifting. its the appeal of the gym to target the other 80% of the population unlike most other gyms who cater to the 20% of the population who are already fitness focused. I just read a whole thing about it and this is what the CEO: says. I personally don't think you should have tits and *kitten* on display in public no matter who you are or what you look like, but that is just me. I never dressed like that before I had kids and don't plan on it once I hit goal :drinker:

The woman in question was wearing crop sweat pants (So about calf length) and a cami that showed her midriff.

That's how you define *kitten* and tits on display? Or is that just some separate rant?

gym2.jpg

Yeahh. Look at her with her....ankles and shoulders showing THE SHAME! That's harlot! Think of the children!

thank you master snarky: I was actually coming back on here to edit my comment to say that her outfit is cute and I don't see anything wrong with it and she is most definitely not "toned" ... she is thin and you can tell she hasn't had three kids but not toned. and I was referring to those who think its appropriate to wear sports bras and tiny booty shorts only at a gym.. ummm thanks but no thanks for sarcasticly pointing that out. she knew dam well that the outfit she wore was against the policy. that's what she gets for not reading fine print.

I'm sorry you were bringing an unrelated issue into this thread and I commented on it. Next time you go off on a tangent I won't address it and just let you ramble about booty shorts ad sports bras while everyone else is talking camis and sweats. My B. Won't happen again.

And, just so we're clear, how do you know she hasn't had kids? Because she's thin? Because I don't know if you've meet BinaryPulsar but uh...thin don't mean you haven't had kids.

:drinker:
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Join a gym without a dress code if you want to show your stomach.

When I worked out at the YMCA, a woman was asked to leave because she was in a glorified pair of underwear and bra with a Nike logo on it. You can work out just as well in a tshirt and an actual pair of shorts.

They only dress like that because they want attention. If you want to walk around in a sports bra, go to Walmart. They don't seem to have a dress code.

That is just simply not true. It is best to wear as little, tight fitting clothing as possible so that you can see exactly whats going on in the mirror. You don't think they put those mirrors all over the gym so people can gawk at themselves do you? They are for watching your form and bettering your technique, something you can't see in sweats or baggy clothing. Educate yourself before you make that kind of statement.

This and I also hate my clothes bunching up on me. A tight pair of athletic pants is WAY more comfy than a pair of shorts that crawl and bunch when you're running.I hate t-shirts when I'm running or boxing. Can't stand worrying about tucking it in when I'm planking so that someone cant see up my shirt. I can't imagine doing box jumps with a t-shirt flopping around.

I also like seeing my strength gains. When I am boxing, I like seeing the muscles pop in my shoulders and biceps. When I am lifting, I like being able to see which muscle groupings are being activated. I like feeling proud of my accomplishment.

So for me it's clear that I'd never want to go there. I go where I am comfortable.

Which right now, apart from my boxing club. Is at home in my basement.

My cat doesn't complain about my short shorts, knee highs and sport bra.

OMG.............do you also kiss the mirror while you 'pop' here there and everywhere:ohwell:

Of course I do. Doesn't everyone?
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    This country sucks. I really wish I could leave and I am more and more ashamed to be an American.

Dial it back. Deep breaths. Deep, calming breaths.
  • Penfoldsplace
    Options
    The derogatory way some have talked about PF members on here kind of illustrates why some people may feel more comfortable starting out in that environment.

I believe the critique has been of PF's corporate policy not the actual members ….

They have a corporate policy for a reason and I'm assuming it's successful. The policy is therefore what the majority of members want, otherwise it would be an awful business model. The implication that some people don't have goals that push themselves to the max doesn't make their goals any less valid. I lost a lot of weight just watching my diet and walking. Now I have changed my goals and push myself harder, but we all have to start somewhere and maybe PF is geared towards people starting out.

Personally I don't mind what people wear at the gym, I never really notice to be honest. I just have sympathy with people who may find that environment a good starting point. It's the same reason you have women only gyms I guess, I couldn't care less myself but I can see why some women might want that.

eh - my main complaint with PF is that the no squatting, deadlifting, lifting heavy, etc is setting people up for failure ….but I guess if you want an environment that coddles you and provides free pizza, bagels, and candy so that you eat back all your exercise calories and never seem to progress AND want to pay for that ..then more power to them….

I like going to my gym and seeing a bunch of shredded dudes/females killing it..it motivates me

People have different goals though, I don't see anything wrong with that. As I said I lost a lot of weight without lifting or any of those things, I don't think I failed doing it that way. My goals have changed now, so when I joined a gym I asked what facilities they had and decided to join on that basis.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    yes but that is planet fitness's business motto: they also don't let people throw weights or grunt while lifting. its the appeal of the gym to target the other 80% of the population unlike most other gyms who cater to the 20% of the population who are already fitness focused. I just read a whole thing about it and this is what the CEO: says. I personally don't think you should have tits and *kitten* on display in public no matter who you are or what you look like, but that is just me. I never dressed like that before I had kids and don't plan on it once I hit goal :drinker:

The woman in question was wearing crop sweat pants (So about calf length) and a cami that showed her midriff.

That's how you define *kitten* and tits on display? Or is that just some separate rant?

gym2.jpg

Yeahh. Look at her with her....ankles and shoulders showing THE SHAME! That's harlot! Think of the children!

thank you master snarky: I was actually coming back on here to edit my comment to say that her outfit is cute and I don't see anything wrong with it and she is most definitely not "toned" ... she is thin and you can tell she hasn't had three kids but not toned. and I was referring to those who think its appropriate to wear sports bras and tiny booty shorts only at a gym.. ummm thanks but no thanks for sarcasticly pointing that out. she knew dam well that the outfit she wore was against the policy. that's what she gets for not reading fine print.

I'm sorry you were bringing an unrelated issue into this thread and I commented on it. Next time you go off on a tangent I won't address it and just let you ramble about booty shorts ad sports bras while everyone else is talking camis and sweats. My B. Won't happen again.

And, just so we're clear, how do you know she hasn't had kids? Because she's thin? Because I don't know if you've meet BinaryPulsar but uh...thin don't mean you haven't had kids.

Thanks Achrya!

It's rude how people are picking this lady's body and life apart.

There you are! I read the part about how she clearly didn't have kids and all I could think was "Someone must not know about BinaryPulsar's amazing bod." Or MireyGal. Or any of the other amazing looking mom's floating around here.

But whatever. Let's just nitpick this poor woman instead. Not like she hasn't had a bad enough time. Too toned, not actually toned, just 'thin'. Sheesh.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    The derogatory way some have talked about PF members on here kind of illustrates why some people may feel more comfortable starting out in that environment.

I believe the critique has been of PF's corporate policy not the actual members ….

They have a corporate policy for a reason and I'm assuming it's successful. The policy is therefore what the majority of members want, otherwise it would be an awful business model. The implication that some people don't have goals that push themselves to the max doesn't make their goals any less valid. I lost a lot of weight just watching my diet and walking. Now I have changed my goals and push myself harder, but we all have to start somewhere and maybe PF is geared towards people starting out.

Personally I don't mind what people wear at the gym, I never really notice to be honest. I just have sympathy with people who may find that environment a good starting point. It's the same reason you have women only gyms I guess, I couldn't care less myself but I can see why some women might want that.

eh - my main complaint with PF is that the no squatting, deadlifting, lifting heavy, etc is setting people up for failure ….but I guess if you want an environment that coddles you and provides free pizza, bagels, and candy so that you eat back all your exercise calories and never seem to progress AND want to pay for that ..then more power to them….

I like going to my gym and seeing a bunch of shredded dudes/females killing it..it motivates me

People have different goals though, I don't see anything wrong with that. As I said I lost a lot of weight without lifting or any of those things, I don't think I failed doing it that way. My goals have changed now, so when I joined a gym I asked what facilities they had and decided to join on that basis.

yea, but you made that choice for yourself…PF makes it for its members…
  • ndj1979
    Options

gym2.jpg

Thanks Achrya!

There you are! I read the part about how she clearly didn't have kids and all I could think was "Someone must not know about BinaryPulsar's amazing bod." Or MireyGal. Or any of the other amazing looking mom's floating around here.

But whatever. Let's just nitpick this poor woman instead. Not like she hasn't had a bad enough time. Too toned, not actually toned, just 'thin'. Sheesh.

some of the hottest chicks I have banged..eerr dated were moms…so in..for MILFS….bahahahahahaha
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I kind of agree with the gym. I belong to a gym where there is a lot of extremely fit people and it does kind of intimidate you when I see a woman walking around in a sports bra and I've been on the treadmill for ten minutes sweating like a pig. They advertise that they are a gym without "stereotypes" and they have a fan base because of that reason. They have to stick to their advertising or they will be like all the other gyms. I believe it's just from a business standpoint.

A lot of people who are in great shape worked harder to be that way than most people who aren't in shape could ever imagine. They have sacrificed their time, and love of good food, they have poured blood, sweat and tears to become that way. Anybody who would want to suppress a person who has worked that hard needs to reevaluate what they are doing. Instead of looking for new ways to be butt-hurt, people should use it as inspiration..."maybe if I work as hard as that person does, I'll be able to rock a body like that one day"

When you ask these people that work so hard why they do it they'll swear "it's for me, not for anyone else." So why do they feel the need to show off their hard work? If it's just for you why not just do the work and not show off? Or at the very least admit it is about showing off.

I like to look in the mirror at myself as I am lifting in just a bra. It's not for anyone but me.

Judgy much??
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I kind of agree with the gym. I belong to a gym where there is a lot of extremely fit people and it does kind of intimidate you when I see a woman walking around in a sports bra and I've been on the treadmill for ten minutes sweating like a pig. They advertise that they are a gym without "stereotypes" and they have a fan base because of that reason. They have to stick to their advertising or they will be like all the other gyms. I believe it's just from a business standpoint.

A lot of people who are in great shape worked harder to be that way than most people who aren't in shape could ever imagine. They have sacrificed their time, and love of good food, they have poured blood, sweat and tears to become that way. Anybody who would want to suppress a person who has worked that hard needs to reevaluate what they are doing. Instead of looking for new ways to be butt-hurt, people should use it as inspiration..."maybe if I work as hard as that person does, I'll be able to rock a body like that one day"

When you ask these people that work so hard why they do it they'll swear "it's for me, not for anyone else." So why do they feel the need to show off their hard work? If it's just for you why not just do the work and not show off? Or at the very least admit it is about showing off.

I like to look in the mirror at myself as I am lifting in just a bra. It's not for anyone but me.

Judgy much??

I like to cover myself in hot oil and lift naked….
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Join a gym without a dress code if you want to show your stomach.

When I worked out at the YMCA, a woman was asked to leave because she was in a glorified pair of underwear and bra with a Nike logo on it. You can work out just as well in a tshirt and an actual pair of shorts.

They only dress like that because they want attention. If you want to walk around in a sports bra, go to Walmart. They don't seem to have a dress code.

That is just simply not true. It is best to wear as little, tight fitting clothing as possible so that you can see exactly whats going on in the mirror. You don't think they put those mirrors all over the gym so people can gawk at themselves do you? They are for watching your form and bettering your technique, something you can't see in sweats or baggy clothing. Educate yourself before you make that kind of statement.

This and I also hate my clothes bunching up on me. A tight pair of athletic pants is WAY more comfy than a pair of shorts that crawl and bunch when you're running.I hate t-shirts when I'm running or boxing. Can't stand worrying about tucking it in when I'm planking so that someone cant see up my shirt. I can't imagine doing box jumps with a t-shirt flopping around.

I also like seeing my strength gains. When I am boxing, I like seeing the muscles pop in my shoulders and biceps. When I am lifting, I like being able to see which muscle groupings are being activated. I like feeling proud of my accomplishment.

So for me it's clear that I'd never want to go there. I go where I am comfortable.

OMG.............do you also kiss the mirror while you 'pop' here there and everywhere:ohwell:

If you were Mirey, you'd probably be licking the mirror after working out.
  • Penfoldsplace
    Options

I think people need to make their own decisions. If I am going to shell out money for something then I research it. PF doesn't sound like it would fit my goals so I wouldn't sign up. I know everyone loves lifting on here, and I like it too. It's been very positive for me but not everyone has the same goals for whatever reason so let them join whatever gym meets their needs.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

If you were Mirey, you'd probably be licking the mirror after working out.

No no there are too many germs on the mirror from my sweaty kisses.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

They DONT seem to have a clearly defined corporate policy though.

I suspect their corporate policy is clearly defined, but inconsistently enforced.

Please link to it if you can find it. The nearest I can see is no jeans, no work boots, no bandannas.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I think people need to make their own decisions. If I am going to shell out money for something then I research it. PF doesn't sound like it would fit my goals so I wouldn't sign up. I know everyone loves lifting on here, and I like it too. It's been very positive for me but not everyone has the same goals for whatever reason so let them join whatever gym meets their needs.
    agree…but take hypothetical person A that does not know much about lifting and joins PF …they start using the equipment there and here about squats, deadlifts, etc and then go try them at PF and are told that is "forbidden" because only "lunkheads/meatheads" do that …maybe they just assume those moves are only for "bodybuilders" and then never try them again …just throwing that out there …however, I get where you are coming from.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I tried to read this thread, but I got intimidated by the length of it and stopped. Can MFP set up a policy that threads can't be more than 5 pages so people who don't read good won't feel bad about themselves?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

gym2.jpg

Thanks Achrya!

:flowerforyou:
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options

I have no gripe with PF members, unless they share the same mindset as PF marketing.

My issue is entirely with the company itself.

Why the gripe when it's obviously not catered towards you? For example I'm vegetarian so I am not going to go to KFC and tell them I dislike their chicken serving policy. They are not designed for me and my life style choices, I just don't go there.

I'm starting to get the feeling that I'm the only person who joins the gym closest to her current residence who expects to be able to do her exercise routine at her gym she pays for...
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options

Judgy much??

I like to cover myself in hot oil and lift naked….

How YOU doing???:glasses:
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options
    New NsV goal: get kicked out of PF for being "too toned"
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    New NsV goal: get kicked out of PF for being "too toned"

IFKR? I'd pay ten bucks a month for the satisfaction of one day being told I intimidate people with how toned I am.

This chick is living my dream.