News - woman asked to cover her toned body in the gym?

Options

Replies

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I kind of agree with the gym. I belong to a gym where there is a lot of extremely fit people and it does kind of intimidate you when I see a woman walking around in a sports bra and I've been on the treadmill for ten minutes sweating like a pig. They advertise that they are a gym without "stereotypes" and they have a fan base because of that reason. They have to stick to their advertising or they will be like all the other gyms. I believe it's just from a business standpoint.
    Are you intimidated when at the beach and someone looks better than you?
    Are you initimidated when driving through a nicer neighborhood with bigger houses than yours?
    Are you initimidated when some hangs adnvanced degrees on their office walls?
    Where does the initimidation end? Are you constantly initimidated by life?

Meh, people with big houses are usually more intimidated by the people in small dumpy houses. That's why when they try to put up affordable housing near those big houses everyone goes bonkers and says "not in my neighborhood!" Happens all the time in my city. It's common for the elites to feel like everyone should be elite and that only other elites need be around them.

Public housing brings down property value. If I paid a crap ton to live in some fancy area in a fancy house I'd like the area to retain it's value and protesting things that are known to bring down value isn't a matter of intimidation, it's common sense.

^ And this is why I can't afford to live on Beacon Hill (nice Boston), while knowing people who live off of wellfare and are able to live in high-rise apartments and condos. Oh, 2,400 a month won't cut it for me? I have to live an hour out of the city and commute? Oh, okay, enjoy paying 400 dollars a month, people who don't work >>

Also how does TANKTOP intimidate anyone?

Even though my head already exploded, a bunch of fire works just started exploding like crazy in what was left of my head.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I kind of agree with the gym. I belong to a gym where there is a lot of extremely fit people and it does kind of intimidate you when I see a woman walking around in a sports bra and I've been on the treadmill for ten minutes sweating like a pig. They advertise that they are a gym without "stereotypes" and they have a fan base because of that reason. They have to stick to their advertising or they will be like all the other gyms. I believe it's just from a business standpoint.
    Are you initimidated when driving through a nicer neighborhood with bigger houses than yours?

Meh, people with big houses are usually more intimidated by the people in small dumpy houses. That's why when they try to put up affordable housing near those big houses everyone goes bonkers and says "not in my neighborhood!" Happens all the time in my city. It's common for the elites to feel like everyone should be elite and that only other elites need be around them.

Public housing brings down property value. If I paid a crap ton to live in some fancy area in a fancy house I'd like the area to retain it's value and protesting things that are known to bring down value isn't a matter of intimidation, it's common sense.

^ And this is why I can't afford to live on Beacon Hill (nice Boston), while knowing people who live off of wellfare and are able to live in high-rise apartments and condos. Oh, 2,400 a month won't cut it for me? I have to live an hour out of the city and commute? Oh, okay, enjoy paying 400 dollars a month, people who don't work >>

Even though my head already exploded, a bunch of fire works just started exploding like crazy in what was left of my head.

maybe you should remove yourself from the threads and calm your head down...
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

Luckily it just completely regenerated.
  • Penfoldsplace
    Options
    I don't see a problem with what she is wearing but rules are rules. I haven't heard of planet fitness but they obviously cater to a certain market and I don't see anything wrong with that. I have never felt intimidated by fitter people, but there was a time 60+ pounds ago that I felt I didn't really belong at a gym so I can understand the thinking behind it.

I kind of feel it's like going to the church as an atheist and getting upset when they start talking about God, it's obviously not designed for me so either be respectful and take part or leave and let the people who appreciate it enjoy it in peace.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Luckily it just completely regenerated.

LOL well that is good news….
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness is a joke. I'm glad I never signed up for that gym. I will never sign up for a gym that tells me I can't wear tank tops.

I *like* seeing people's muscles and midriffs at the gym. I'm at the gym for a reason! To get muscles and midriffs just like the people that work out there!

Oy vey.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    pfitness_small_zps2529ee17.gif
  • ndj1979
    Options
    pfitness_small_zps2529ee17.gif

LOL this really made me laugh out loud…

and yes, this!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    why don't they just call it PD = Planet Douche
  • Penfoldsplace
    Options
    The derogatory way some have talked about PF members on here kind of illustrates why some people may feel more comfortable starting out in that environment.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    The derogatory way some have talked about PF members on here kind of illustrates why some people may feel more comfortable starting out in that environment.

I believe the critique has been of PF's corporate policy not the actual members ….
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

I believe the critique has been of PF's corporate policy not the actual members ….

Exactly!

I have never said anything derogatory about the members. I am only astounded by it being a "stereotype free environment".
  • Daisyisacat
    Options
    Planet Fitness is a joke. I'm glad I never signed up for that gym. I will never sign up for a gym that tells me I can't wear tank tops.

I *like* seeing people's muscles and midriffs at the gym. I'm at the gym for a reason! To get muscles and midriffs just like the people that work out there!

Oy vey.

But would you feel the same way if the bare midriffs and muscles were buried deep under a thick layer of fat? As long as the dress code is clearly set out and uniformly applied, I don't have an issue with it. If I don't like the policy, I would simply choose to take my business elsewhere.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Exactly!

I have never said anything derogatory about the members. I am only astounded by it being a "stereotype free environment".

It's cause they kick out all the 'lunkheads' and 'fitchicks' and 'yogis' and 'drill instructor' (Assuming I'm recalling their commercials and the terms they themselves use to label people correctly).

It almost makes sense, if you squint and tilt your head and don't think about it all the way. Or your head will explode.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with Planet Fitness and the rules for gym attire. I do not want to sit or lean on a machine that has bare skin touch it. If this woman has any kind of dermis problems it could infect me and in turn I could carry it somewhere else. Even though Planet Fitness wants you to sanitize the equipment after use how do I know this woman or anyone else does. A layer of material at least is a barrier. Planet Fitness was very diplomatic in the way they handeled this. They made her think she was so fit and georgeous that others were jealous. This is pure nonsense, and this woman is looking for attention.

Planet Fitness caters to everyone, is inexpensive and a place where someone like me, 60 years old, fat and out of shape to go as well as those who are looking to bulk up muscles, 20 somethings, etc.

It really ticks me off that this is getting so much coverage in the media and that people just don't get it that it is a hygiene issue not a "sexy" clothes issue!

I think the gym could have handled it better. I saw some news coverage on this matter and they told the lady that she was "intimidating" other gym members and offered her another shirt to "cover up".

It would've been MUCH better customer service if they had reminded her of their dress code. When they would have realized she was a very NEW member could have coached her in a nice manner. When this lady was interviewed she indicated it was her FIRST visit since she joined (she was in a car accident trying to get back into a fitness routine).

Personally...to me, it kinda sounds like a customer service issue and probably could have been handled better.

*preparing to be flamed* lol

My understanding is that two employees encountered her. The first did what you suggested. In the middle of that, she was approached by the second employee and was told off for being intimidating. I can see why she felt that was over the top. There is a way to guide people into complying with your rules and there is making them feel bullied. PF chose option #2.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

Exactly!

It's cause they kick out all the 'lunkheads' and 'fitchicks' and 'yogis' and 'drill instructor' (Assuming I'm recalling their commercials and the terms they themselves use to label people correctly).

It almost makes sense, if you squint and tilt your head and don't think about it all the way. Or your head will explode.

And the Pilatatumba instructors: http://youtu.be/iFrV-TdBICY
  • ndj1979
    Options

Oy vey.

But would you feel the same way if the bare midriffs and muscles were buried deep under a thick layer of fat? As long as the dress code is clearly set out and uniformly applied, I don't have an issue with it. If I don't like the policy, I would simply choose to take my business elsewhere.

there are fit people and obese people at my gym..I am usually too busy - you know - working out and what not to give it that much thought ..so I don't give a damn what anyone wears...
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    What I learned from this thread:

Eczema is a new STD

People in their 20's should look to the 1950's for lessons in behavior.

Computer time at the senor citizen's center ends promptly at 8:42.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

I have no gripe with PF members, unless they share the same mindset as PF marketing.

My issue is entirely with the company itself.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    yes but that is planet fitness's business motto: they also don't let people throw weights or grunt while lifting. its the appeal of the gym to target the other 80% of the population unlike most other gyms who cater to the 20% of the population who are already fitness focused. I just read a whole thing about it and this is what the CEO: says. (edited for jerks who like to be snarky cheers:drinker: )