News - woman asked to cover her toned body in the gym?

Options

Replies

• DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    As others have said, it's a dress code. I don't agree with it, but then again that's a reason not to sign up with them.

If I were to sign up with them, I would do so with the understanding of the dress code & abide by the rules. I would also expect others to.

^^This! Sheez, how many more rant threads will be started about this topic? If you don't like the rules- go somewhere else.

Planet Fitness is NOT a gym, it is a Fitness Center. They market themselves towards the average person.

If you are into serious weightlifting/bodybuilding, then go to a gym that markets itself toward that clientele.
  • LB30
    LB30 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I belong to a PF near my home. I see women in tank tops there all the time. Perhaps some franchises enforce that rule more than others. Maybe an employee got a little overzealous? Can't say. Personally, I didn't find the woman in question's clothing to be offensive, especially for a workout, but I can see where she may be asked to wear a longer top. With that said, I can't help but feel like some embellishment has been applied to the re-telling of this incident. If not, this is one of the oddest stories I've ever heard. Stranger things have happened, I guess.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I dont know what to make out of this news item.

The obvious take away is that Planet Fitness is for unfit people.
  • smelius22
    smelius22 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I belong to a PF near my home. I see women in tank tops there all the time. Perhaps some franchises enforce that rule more than others. Maybe an employee got a little overzealous? Can't say. Personally, I didn't find the woman in question's clothing to be offensive, especially for a workout, but I can see where she may be asked to wear a longer top. With that said, I can't help but feel like some embellishment has been applied to the re-telling of this incident. If not, this is one of the oddest stories I've ever heard. Stranger things have happened, I guess.

I agree.. could have definitely been blown up into a bigger deal than it originally was. I see people at my PF in tank tops all the time (side note: tank tops are not midriff length string tanks, like the woman wore to her PF) and no one seems to care. That particular franchise obviously just has stricter employees. I don't think her clothes were offensive, but they were against dress code and that is that.

I also agree with whoever said she should have just taken her refund and gone elsewhere instead of making such a big deal in the media.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Join a gym without a dress code if you want to show your stomach.

When I worked out at the YMCA, a woman was asked to leave because she was in a glorified pair of underwear and bra with a Nike logo on it. You can work out just as well in a tshirt and an actual pair of shorts.

They only dress like that because they want attention. If you want to walk around in a sports bra, go to Walmart. They don't seem to have a dress code.

Spoken like someone who doesn't work out hard enough.

I'm pretty sure you can work hard in a form fitting tank top that covers your entire torso. Geezus.

And yes, I stick by the belief that people who come to the gym in basically their bra and underwear are doing it for attention. She wouldn't have been asked to leave if her tank top covered her stomach. Are you saying that cutting off the tank top to reveal her stomach makes her work out harder? :huh:
  • jdb3388
    jdb3388 Posts: 239 Member
    Options

When I worked out at the YMCA, a woman was asked to leave because she was in a glorified pair of underwear and bra with a Nike logo on it. You can work out just as well in a tshirt and an actual pair of shorts.

They only dress like that because they want attention. If you want to walk around in a sports bra, go to Walmart. They don't seem to have a dress code.

I'm pretty sure you can work hard in a form fitting tank top that covers your entire torso. Geezus.

And yes, I stick by the belief that people who come to the gym in basically their bra and underwear are doing it for attention. She wouldn't have been asked to leave if her tank top covered her stomach. Are you saying that cutting off the tank top to reveal her stomach makes her work out harder? :huh:

No, we're saying that it's cooler and more comfortable.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options

From your ticker, I guess when you lose the120 lbs, you will still be wearing a baggy t-shirt and baggy pants to work out. For now stick with the baggy clothes, they suit your comment very well.

It doesn't matter when I get to my goal. I'm not going to be wearing a sports bra by itself to the gym. There are plenty of fit people at my gym who wear form fitting outfits that cover their body and they don't seem to have a problem with working hard. No one is saying you have to be in baggy pants and sweat shirts. I certainly do not work out in baggy clothes. I wear tank tops and capri's that are form fitting so I don't get fabric caught on the machines.

Like I said, join a gym without a dress code. LA Fitness seems to let you walk around basically naked from what I've seen. Why get pissy at another gym that decides to have a dress code? Everyone seems to believe the employee really said, "Cover up your tone fit body! We can't have that here!"
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness Fails Again ....
  • ndj1979
    Options

From your ticker, I guess when you lose the120 lbs, you will still be wearing a baggy t-shirt and baggy pants to work out. For now stick with the baggy clothes, they suit your comment very well.

It doesn't matter when I get to my goal. I'm not going to be wearing a sports bra by itself to the gym. There are plenty of fit people at my gym who wear form fitting outfits that cover their body and they don't seem to have a problem with working hard. No one is saying you have to be in baggy pants and sweat shirts. I certainly do not work out in baggy clothes. I wear tank tops and capri's that are form fitting so I don't get fabric caught on the machines.

Like I said, join a gym without a dress code. LA Fitness seems to let you walk around basically naked from what I've seen. Why get pissy at another gym that decides to have a dress code? Everyone seems to believe the employee really said, "Cover up your tone fit body! We can't have that here!"

the article says they complained because she was "too toned" not because her outfit was too revealing...slight difference...

how the hell did this thread get derailed to discussions of "dress codes"...????
  • ndj1979
    Options
    As others have said, it's a dress code. I don't agree with it, but then again that's a reason not to sign up with them.

If I were to sign up with them, I would do so with the understanding of the dress code & abide by the rules. I would also expect others to.

^^This! Sheez, how many more rant threads will be started about this topic? If you don't like the rules- go somewhere else.

Planet Fitness is NOT a gym, it is a Fitness Center. They market themselves towards the average person.

If you are into serious weightlifting/bodybuilding, then go to a gym that markets itself toward that clientele.

what happened to the "no judgment" zone...?????
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

You remind me of the PF members who used to say, "They aren't banning deadlifts in all PFs. That's ridiculous! I still deadlift in my PF." Of course, weeks/months later, they banned deadlifts in their location.

TL;DR - PF Corporate is doing all it can to ensure compliance with all of their regulations...because it's essential to their business model.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

You remind me of the PF members who used to say, "They aren't banning deadlifts in all PFs. That's ridiculous! I still deadlift in my PF." Of course, weeks/months later, they banned deadlifts in their location.

TL;DR - PF Corporate is doing all it can to ensure compliance with all of their regulations...because it's essential to their business model.

Wow. You can't deadlift in PF? I had no idea. That's crazy.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

I work out in a tank top because sleeves are binding when I lift. I can't imagine that it would be any different for a woman. It's also hot and I often run shirtless for that reason. It's a gym, not church.

ETA: okay, PF isn't a gym. But the point is that there are reasons other than vanity that people don't like covering up. A screw hating on vanity anyway.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    When I first started working out, it was in a Powerhouse Gym owned by pro body builders, and I was working out with friends who were competing. No dress code. no frills. Just machines and free weights. We girls wore sports bras and spandex shorts, and guys wore tight shorts and tanks, or no shirts. That was the environment we were in.

A year later, that gym closed and the closest other place to me was a new "Q Club" that was gaining in popularity. (yeah, I'm old, I know) The Q was marketed towards a more civilized clientele than the Powerhouse was, so dress code was no tanks or tight shorts. Pits had to be covered. You had to wipe off the machines. Very small free weight section, and they frowned upon dropping weights or being too vocal in your lifts. And bandanas were not allowed. Not sure why, but whatever.
    Yeah, it was an adjustment for me from what I was used to, but I knew the rules going in, before I signed up. So I just bought some tshirts and looser shorts and did my thing. It also turned out to be more of a social club environment where guys went to pick up girls, so I didn't renew my membership, and it closed down soon after then anyway.

The key point is to know what type of gym/fitness center you are getting into, and make sure you know and can abide by the rules before signing up.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I work out in a tank top because sleeves are binding when I lift. I can't imagine that it would be any different for a woman. It's also hot and I often run shirtless for that reason. It's a gym, not church.

ETA: okay, PF isn't a gym. But the point is that there are reasons other than vanity that people don't like covering up. A screw hating on vanity anyway.
    I go sleeveless AND a skullie..I must really be looking for attention ...
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    If planet Fitnesses tells someone to cover up because they are too toned then something is very wrong. However, this is basically about dress code. Our gym has a dress code too but in no way that strict. We wear shorts and cropped tops. What is prohibited is wearing thong workout wear and a few other revealing clothes.
  • joewtug1
    joewtug1 Posts: 10
    Options
    Planet fitness sucks
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

I go sleeveless AND a skullie..I must really be looking for attention ...

Ho Fo Show
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    When I was heavier, the only time I ever really paid attention to what another gym member was wearing was because I saw this woman strip down naked in the locker room (kind of hard not to notice when it's a small room) and put on loose fitting/swishy running short with no undies then go and work out on the weight machines, totally free-vaging it. Kinda weird.
    Many running shorts have liners. These are the kind I wear as well when I work out.
    These ones, however, did not. They were like men's basketball shorts, but shorter.
    Jesus, how close were you to this person to figure this out???

Just to clarify, my shorts are also like "basketball shorts, but shorter", and they have a lining. There's no way you can see the lining unless they're inside out or you're staring down the shorts as I put them on.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    When I was heavier, the only time I ever really paid attention to what another gym member was wearing was because I saw this woman strip down naked in the locker room (kind of hard not to notice when it's a small room) and put on loose fitting/swishy running short with no undies then go and work out on the weight machines, totally free-vaging it. Kinda weird.
    Many running shorts have liners. These are the kind I wear as well when I work out.
    These ones, however, did not. They were like men's basketball shorts, but shorter.
    Jesus, how close were you to this person to figure this out???

Just to clarify, my shorts are also like "basketball shorts, but shorter", and they have a lining. There's no way you can see the lining unless they're inside out or your starting down the shorts as I put them on.
    Like I said, small locker room. She was standing next to me to change and we both had our stuff sitting on the same bench.