News - woman asked to cover her toned body in the gym?

Options

Replies

• VegRuthie
    VegRuthie Posts: 20
    Options
    Her body is not intimidating and I am sure that was not the real reason. I go to planet fitness, there is a lot of fit people that go there. I call it BS!

This sound like some of the customers we get at the doctor office I work for. People lie, specially if they think they can get money out of it. I agree with a dress code. I have been to gyms where some girls are almost naked doing nothing but trying to get attention. I go with tight clothes to the gym, even some cleavage from time to time and there is not problem now that I am overweight and I am 100% that there will be no problem after my weight loss.
  • lilmisfit1987
    lilmisfit1987 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    YMCA's affordable? :laugh: On what planet?

If they told her about the dress code, then she has to follow it. Did they really say it was because she was too toned or did they say it was dress code oriented? Were we there to hear it? No...so really it's she said, they said. I'm a firm believer in "you can't believe everything you hear". If her story is true, she got her money back so she should just move on and find a better gym. Life's not fair and businesses make stupid rules. We either have to follow them or give them the middle finger and move on to bigger and better things. It's not worth crying over spilled milk and it's DEFINITELY not worth crying over a crappy gym.

I have no problem with people who are in shape wearing tank tops or midriff revealing tops...aslong as you don't mind seeing my currently fat a** in a tank top aswell. Who the hell wants to wear a t-shirt when they're working out?
  • jdb3388
    jdb3388 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Join a gym without a dress code if you want to show your stomach.

When I worked out at the YMCA, a woman was asked to leave because she was in a glorified pair of underwear and bra with a Nike logo on it. You can work out just as well in a tshirt and an actual pair of shorts.

They only dress like that because they want attention. If you want to walk around in a sports bra, go to Walmart. They don't seem to have a dress code.

That is just simply not true. It is best to wear as little, tight fitting clothing as possible so that you can see exactly whats going on in the mirror. You don't think they put those mirrors all over the gym so people can gawk at themselves do you? They are for watching your form and bettering your technique, something you can't see in sweats or baggy clothing. Educate yourself before you make that kind of statement.
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    hahaha that's mental! She would motivate me
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    I saw this woman strip down naked in the locker room (kind of hard not to notice when it's a small room) and put on loose fitting/swishy running short with no undies then go and work out on the weight machines, totally free-vaging it. Kinda weird.

:noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:

For a second I thought "fitting/swishy" said "fishy" LOL LOL.

Might as well have! Gym's aren't really the best place to go commando in my opinion... so much other people's sweat & germs.... lol

I sat on a stationary bike seat the other day.
    Pretty sure I'm pregnant now.

Probably should have waited for the last guy to get up first.

(ETA: kidding... not pregnant, but Ms. Skittles did get kinda sore from the seat. bike seats are torture devices, I tell ya!)
  • November_Fire
    November_Fire Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Blah. I'd never sign up there. I'm short, which might intimidate unhappily tall ladies, thin, my brown hair might upset the blondes, my drinking water might upset those drinking Pepsi...

If I wear a vest it's because I don't like little sleeves tugging on my shoulders and arms when I'm working. Leggings are so they don't fall down in yoga. Not everything women/thin women/pretty women/whichever women these 'dress codes' are out to penalise do is for the attention of others!
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    When I was heavier, the only time I ever really paid attention to what another gym member was wearing was because I saw this woman strip down naked in the locker room (kind of hard not to notice when it's a small room) and put on loose fitting/swishy running short with no undies then go and work out on the weight machines, totally free-vaging it. Kinda weird.
    Many running shorts have liners. These are the kind I wear as well when I work out.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I'm not intimidated, and I don't need to see anyone's midriff at the gym. If her outfit was against their policy, there's nothing wrong with asking her to cover up.

We talk on this site all the time about making lifestyle changes, and everyone having their own reasons for wanting to change their bodies and their own goals. Planet Fitness has geared itself towards a certain market. Their facilities are fine for people who are new to exercise, or who like to do cardio and resistance machines to keep their health in check but may not necessarily have a certain body ideal or fitness goal. The majority of their clientele aren't going to be the people spending hundreds of dollars on athletic apparel and gear for performance or aesthetics. They're just people who want to get some exercise without all the hype, and obviously there are enough people out there who feel this way and like the PF business model for them to have a national chain of gyms.

tl;dr: Don't like the policies, don't join the gym.

People can't wear tank tops because PF caters to people who don't spend hundreds of dollars on athletic appareal? I've spent...about a hundred bucks (old navy sales ftw) and I don't believe I'm striving for any kind of crazy body ideal or fitness goal...but I do wear tank tops almost exclusively. And that means, for some reason, I'm not the clientele PF wants?

People can't wear tank tops at PF because that's their policy. I don't work there or go there, it's not my policy and I wear tank tops and pants from ON as well. My point is that when they created their business model, they weren't targeting the market of people who are going to go out and spend the money on performance workout gear, as those people generally look for more perks in a gym than PF offers. Their entire business model is that anyone can exercise and that people shouldn't feel like they don't belong in a gym unless they have the body, the outfits, the gear, etc, so it makes sense that they would include a very modest dress code in their policies to keep with that theme. I'm guessing that they included tank tops so as not to get into any arguments from a gender standpoint (allowing women but not men), or maybe they find armpit sweat less hygienic than other sweat.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    When I was heavier, the only time I ever really paid attention to what another gym member was wearing was because I saw this woman strip down naked in the locker room (kind of hard not to notice when it's a small room) and put on loose fitting/swishy running short with no undies then go and work out on the weight machines, totally free-vaging it. Kinda weird.
    Many running shorts have liners. These are the kind I wear as well when I work out.
    These ones, however, did not. They were like men's basketball shorts, but shorter.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

When I worked out at the YMCA, a woman was asked to leave because she was in a glorified pair of underwear and bra with a Nike logo on it. You can work out just as well in a tshirt and an actual pair of shorts.

They only dress like that because they want attention. If you want to walk around in a sports bra, go to Walmart. They don't seem to have a dress code.

Ah yes, you must know everything about this woman who wants to show off her hard earned physique. She only does it because she wants attention. I'm sure she couldn't go anywhere else and find attention outside of the gym. Great logic.

Indeed.

When I'm working out alone in my basement gym...with no one else around...and with no mirrors...when I'm doing OHP or some other movement where my shirts bug me for whatever reason and I take them off, I'm totally doing it for attention. No other possible reasons besides that.

tumblr_lfpvj5AYz31qbpd8m.gif
  • Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Katro: between 'free-vaging' and that epic profile picture, you have made my day.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I saw this woman strip down naked in the locker room (kind of hard not to notice when it's a small room) and put on loose fitting/swishy running short with no undies then go and work out on the weight machines, totally free-vaging it. Kinda weird.

:noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:

For a second I thought "fitting/swishy" said "fishy" LOL LOL.

Might as well have! Gym's aren't really the best place to go commando in my opinion... so much other people's sweat & germs.... lol

I sat on a stationary bike seat the other day.
    Pretty sure I'm pregnant now.

Probably should have waited for the last guy to get up first.

(ETA: kidding... not pregnant, but Ms. Skittles did get kinda sore from the seat. bike seats are torture devices, I tell ya!)
    Speaking of stationary bikes, I also saw someone eating a banana while on one. Wiped banana guts on the handle bar, then licked their fingers. *vomit*

XSport Fitness: Make sure you burn the skin on your hands off before leaving.
  • ericarenee2005
    Options
    I think it's ridiculous. I'm not in the best shape right now but really? If she is comfortable in her skin she shouldn't be hated on for being healthy and proud, damn.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I'm not intimidated, and I don't need to see anyone's midriff at the gym. If her outfit was against their policy, there's nothing wrong with asking her to cover up.

We talk on this site all the time about making lifestyle changes, and everyone having their own reasons for wanting to change their bodies and their own goals. Planet Fitness has geared itself towards a certain market. Their facilities are fine for people who are new to exercise, or who like to do cardio and resistance machines to keep their health in check but may not necessarily have a certain body ideal or fitness goal. The majority of their clientele aren't going to be the people spending hundreds of dollars on athletic apparel and gear for performance or aesthetics. They're just people who want to get some exercise without all the hype, and obviously there are enough people out there who feel this way and like the PF business model for them to have a national chain of gyms.

tl;dr: Don't like the policies, don't join the gym.

People can't wear tank tops because PF caters to people who don't spend hundreds of dollars on athletic appareal? I've spent...about a hundred bucks (old navy sales ftw) and I don't believe I'm striving for any kind of crazy body ideal or fitness goal...but I do wear tank tops almost exclusively. And that means, for some reason, I'm not the clientele PF wants?

People can't wear tank tops at PF because that's their policy. I don't work there or go there, it's not my policy and I wear tank tops and pants from ON as well. My point is that when they created their business model, they weren't targeting the market of people who are going to go out and spend the money on performance workout gear, as those people generally look for more perks in a gym than PF offers. Their entire business model is that anyone can exercise and that people shouldn't feel like they don't belong in a gym unless they have the body, the outfits, the gear, etc, so it makes sense that they would include a very modest dress code in their policies to keep with that theme. I'm guessing that they included tank tops so as not to get into any arguments from a gender standpoint (allowing women but not men), or maybe they find armpit sweat less hygienic than other sweat.

I doubt the real reason for this and other similar policies has anything to do with clientele willing to spend money on performance workout gear. It's to cater to the unfit market, which is sizably larger than the fit market (no pun intended). This reputation of being "anti-lunk" is a strong pull for this unfit crowd. It gives them a sense of belonging and comaraderie w/ other members. (Think crossfit, but for different reasons.)

Honestly, it's a brilliant marketing approach. I don't like it and think it is bordering on evil how they remove some of the most effective means of becoming fit from a populace that most desperately needs it, but it isn't "stupid" for no reason. It's "stupid" for a very solid reason...and it seems to be working remarkably well.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

Spoken like someone who doesn't work out hard enough.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    This is a totally counterintuitive rule, but I see it's point from a marketing perspective. Obviously, they're not looking to attract the super fit crowd (or even moderately fit) who want to lift heavy. They're looking for the exact opposite -- those that are insecure and want to do minimal effort. What sort of gym offers pizza nights anyway?

I can only imagine how intimidating they'd find people in my Bikram yoga classes -- most wear next to nothing. And, yet, no one seems to be intimidated.

This is a sad statement about American insecurity with fitness, but it's likely a very smart marketing niche for Planet Fitness, though it should really be Planet Mediocrity and Insecurity.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

Spoken like someone who doesn't work out hard enough.

Ditto. When you're lifting heavy or doing yoga, you want to be able to view your form (or have someone else do so). There is a reason why such work out clothing is body conscious. It serves an actual purpose -- (1) can see form and (2) is cooler, especially if made of material that wicks away moisture or (3) doesn't get in the way for poses/movement. Looking "cool" or showing off is not even in the top 3.

Now, I understand wanting to keep the core covered so as to keep sweat off the machines -- but that just means avoiding sports bras or cut off tank tops. Regular tank tops work just fine and are the reason why so many people favor them.
  • winyin
    winyin Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Glad my gym isn't like that. I don't have that body yet but hoping to someday soon and then maybe I can wear clothes like that :)
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

That is just simply not true. It is best to wear as little, tight fitting clothing as possible so that you can see exactly whats going on in the mirror. You don't think they put those mirrors all over the gym so people can gawk at themselves do you? They are for watching your form and bettering your technique, something you can't see in sweats or baggy clothing. Educate yourself before you make that kind of statement.

This and I also hate my clothes bunching up on me. A tight pair of athletic pants is WAY more comfy than a pair of shorts that crawl and bunch when you're running.I hate t-shirts when I'm running or boxing. Can't stand worrying about tucking it in when I'm planking so that someone cant see up my shirt. I can't imagine doing box jumps with a t-shirt flopping around.

I also like seeing my strength gains. When I am boxing, I like seeing the muscles pop in my shoulders and biceps. When I am lifting, I like being able to see which muscle groupings are being activated. I like feeling proud of my accomplishment.

So for me it's clear that I'd never want to go there. I go where I am comfortable.

Which right now, apart from my boxing club. Is at home in my basement.

My cat doesn't complain about my short shorts, knee highs and sport bra.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    This is a totally counterintuitive rule, but I see it's point from a marketing perspective. Obviously, they're not looking to attract the super fit crowd (or even moderately fit) who want to lift heavy. They're looking for the exact opposite -- those that are insecure and want to do minimal effort. What sort of gym offers pizza nights anyway?

I can only imagine how intimidating they'd find people in my Bikram yoga classes -- most wear next to nothing. And, yet, no one seems to be intimidated.

This is a sad statement about American insecurity with fitness, but it's likely a very smart marketing niche for Planet Fitness, though it should really be Planet Mediocrity and Insecurity.

Bingo on the marketing.

(one thing I want to add is that this might not have happened in a different PF location.)