News - woman asked to cover her toned body in the gym?

Options

Replies

• JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I was a member of PF; the sad thing about this story is that this so called "dress code" is not always enforced. The staff picks and chooses people to harass instead of it being a standard across the board........Notice I said, WAS a member :noway:

This is what I was trying to get at. If you are going to have a policy either enforce it or do away with it.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I think it's completely absurd.

My husband and I had a conversation about a year ago or so. He said he didn't want to go to the gym because there'd be really buff people there and would be intimidated. I laughed saying that I had more reason to be self conscious than him because he was at least within 30 pounds of where he wanted to be, and I'm still about 150 pounds away. I told him that he's not going to the gym to compare himself to other men, and it's not a competition. He's going there to get healthy. Who cares what other people look like or what they're doing there?

Reality check: If you're too busy focusing on what other people are doing and what they look like, then you aren't going there for the right reasons. It isn't a social club. It's a gym. There's going to be people there in better shape than you, and they aren't going there to intimidate you or make you jealous.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    If you're a PF member and talking negatively about them.... be careful. They read these posts.

I made a post about them about a year ago and a manager of one of the Charlotte, NC locations called me on my cell phone to reprimand me because my post was against policy and I was intimidating members.

:laugh: :noway: :laugh: :noway:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    If you're a PF member and talking negatively about them.... be careful. They read these posts.

I made a post about them about a year ago and a manager of one of the Charlotte, NC locations called me on my cell phone to reprimand me because my post was against policy and I was intimidating members.

Having opinions is intimidating.

Basically being anything but average and not rocking the boat is intimidating.
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Maybe this is PFs business model. Attract less fit people and keep them less fit by stuffing them with bagels and pizza while forcing them into baggy clothes so they don't notice their stagnant/growing weight. It's smart. Customers for life.

There was a bowl of candy at the desk when I went to check it out.

I really like my gym. It's also only $10/month and yes..at times the three racks (2 squat, 1 power) can get crowded but screw it... everyone is pretty decent and the staff is nice.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Part of what people are missing is this...

She was not told she wasn't following the dress code...she was told her "too toned body was intimidating others"...

I get your point about the "your body is too fit... it's intimidating."
    And you're right... that's a crappy thing to do.

If the issue was that it was a dress code violation, then they should just be direct and said that.
  • smelius22
    smelius22 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Read the last comment in the last few seconds.

Planet Fitness has a dress code.

You don't like it or don't want to abide by it?

Don't join a Planet Fitness.

While I don't agree with the dress code, its not our call to make.

+1000

Rules are rules. Maybe join Gold's?

Yup rules are rules...regardless of how stupid they are...

never mind what they undermind...I mean I can think of a lot of rules that were stupid and have since been abolished..oh like women couldn't vote...

Great analogy. But women didn't have the choice to simply drive to another country to vote. People who don't like PF rules have the option to drive to another gym without a dress code.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Where the heck are all the gyms that are 10$ a month...I want one too.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

+1000

never mind what they undermind...I mean I can think of a lot of rules that were stupid and have since been abolished..oh like women couldn't vote...

Great analogy. But women didn't have the choice to simply drive to another country to vote. People who don't like PF rules have the option to drive to another gym without a dress code.

Wow...just wow.
  • smelius22
    Options
    Why is everyone mad that Planet Fitness stood behind their dress code? Everyone hates PF, I get it, but they have a policy -- don't like their policy, go somewhere else.

Do I think it is foolish? Absolutely. Do I want to run in sweats and a baggy t-shirt? Nope.... so I run outside, or elsewhere. It really doesn't matter why they have the policy -- whether it is a good/bad decision on their part -- or whether people like it or don't. If you are going to have a policy that p!sses people off -- I guess I'd rather you enforce it for everyone. IMO.

Stupid rules aside, what they told her when she signed up was that string tanks weren't allowed. They didn't tell her about no midriff tops, no tanks at all - she came in wearing something she thought was acceptable, she agreed to wear a shirt when she was informed it was a problem, and she still was harassed because the employees didn't communicate with each other. I take major issue with that.

did you see the picture? she showed up wearing a STRING TANK.

But yeah i totally agree, being told once is enough. To keep going on is just overkill.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I guess they have a right to their stupid rules, but this is the reason that I will stay at the YMCA. They have a very reasonable dress code that mostly says "use good judgment."
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    When I was heavier, the only time I ever really paid attention to what another gym member was wearing was because I saw this woman strip down naked in the locker room (kind of hard not to notice when it's a small room) and put on loose fitting/swishy running short with no undies then go and work out on the weight machines, totally free-vaging it. Kinda weird.

I never feel intimidated by other people at the gym that are more physically fit than I am - they're not paying attention to me anyway. I read this saying some time ago:
    "Making fun of heavy people at the gym is like making fun of sick people at the hospital."
  • jchadden42
    jchadden42 Posts: 189
    Options
    I guess they have a right to their stupid rules, but this is the reason that I will stay at the YMCA. They have a very reasonable dress code that mostly says "use good judgment."

Who defines what is "good judgement"? I teach in a HS, and the parents of these kids have poor judgement. It's a sticky situation when you don't have a set dress code.
  • bradXdale
    bradXdale Posts: 399
    Options
    If you don't like seeing skin or people "showing off" their hard earned bodies then don't go to a gym or find one that has these types of policies.

Also you should go to the gym to train. You should be focused 95% of the time while at the gym, I understand people peep and look at their surroundings but did she really throw people off that bad?

Seems like a womanly issue. I don't see other dude bros getting mad that other dude bros are flexing harder than the original dude bro who flexed his dude bro muscles first, dude bro.
  • smelius22
    Options

+1000

Yes because a gym not allowing exposed bellies and an entire half of the population not being allowed to vote are the same. Perhaps one day when my grandchildren read about this poor woman in history books America will have changed.

:drinker:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Who defines what is "good judgement"? I teach in a HS, and the parents of these kids have poor judgement. It's a sticky situation when you don't have a set dress code.

Wut? My high school never had a set dress code (I think there was a one paragraph section on 'Using best judgement and maintaining personal hygine) and there was no problem. (Once a girl showed up in a crop top and micro mini and they made her wear a gym t-shirt all day) And I graduated with 2,000 other kids less than ten years ago, so it's not like I was in some tiny old fashioned area.

People are so rule obsessed. Do we all just sit around fretting over the undefined things, fearing anarchy because there's no set guideline on how wide your shoulder straps can be on your tank top?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Also, if I had a PF near me, I might join...

...just for the AYCE pizza night once a month for $10.
  • MstngSammy
    MstngSammy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I read the title and immediately knew it was PF.

However....a little of that article may have been exaggerated. One of them says that she was asked to leave...the other that she was offered a shirt. So as much as I cannot stand the reputation of PF (never actually been there) I have to take this lightly.

My gym also has a dress code....wear a shirt over your workout bra...no wife beaters...etc.

It's more about modesty though...not intimidation. (If that lady's top was longer it would be ok)

If you are intimidated by the way another person looks, by the results of their hard work....then you need to look inside your self.

I am out of shape and I do feel self conscience, to a point, when I'm in there under that barbell. But that is in ME. I see the fit women there and it reminds me of my goals and gives me motivation to keep going.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I saw this woman strip down naked in the locker room (kind of hard not to notice when it's a small room) and put on loose fitting/swishy running short with no undies then go and work out on the weight machines, totally free-vaging it. Kinda weird.

:noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:

For a second I thought "fitting/swishy" said "fishy" LOL LOL.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Wait, what???

Seriously???

Is that in the agreement you sign when you join? I would love to read a copy of the actual agreement, if anyone has a copy (and doesn't mind likely violating it by posting it).