News - woman asked to cover her toned body in the gym?

Options

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    The derogatory way some have talked about PF members on here kind of illustrates why some people may feel more comfortable starting out in that environment.

I believe the critique has been of PF's corporate policy not the actual members ….

Exactly!

I have never said anything derogatory about the members. I am only astounded by it being a "stereotype free environment".

It's cause they kick out all the 'lunkheads' and 'fitchicks' and 'yogis' and 'drill instructor' (Assuming I'm recalling their commercials and the terms they themselves use to label people correctly).

It almost makes sense, if you squint and tilt your head and don't think about it all the way. Or your head will explode.

And the Pilatatumba instructors: http://youtu.be/iFrV-TdBICY

Ah, forgot one!

Yeah. Those people. Damn those stereotype! Good on PF for getting rid of them and having an environment free of judgement. Because stereotyping people isn't judgement, it's just creating a positive environment. By excluding people.

....or. Wait. ....um.

scrubs-head-explode-o.gif
  • Achrya
    Options
    yes but that is planet fitness's business motto: they also don't let people throw weights or grunt while lifting. its the appeal of the gym to target the other 80% of the population unlike most other gyms who cater to the 20% of the population who are already fitness focused. I just read a whole thing about it and this is what the CEO: says. I personally don't think you should have tits and *kitten* on display in public no matter who you are or what you look like, but that is just me. I never dressed like that before I had kids and don't plan on it once I hit goal :drinker:

The woman in question was wearing crop sweat pants (So about calf length) and a cami that showed her midriff.

That's how you define *kitten* and tits on display? Or is that just some separate rant?

gym2.jpg

Yeahh. Look at her with her....ankles and shoulders showing THE SHAME! That's harlot! Think of the children!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    yes but that is planet fitness's business motto: they also don't let people throw weights or grunt while lifting. its the appeal of the gym to target the other 80% of the population unlike most other gyms who cater to the 20% of the population who are already fitness focused. I just read a whole thing about it and this is what the CEO: says. I personally don't think you should have tits and *kitten* on display in public no matter who you are or what you look like, but that is just me. I never dressed like that before I had kids and don't plan on it once I hit goal :drinker:

so those off into in the PF world are weight dropping, lunk alarm setting, grunting, buffoons..??? LOL …

ETA - if the tits and *kitten* are displayed in the gym that is not in public...
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    The derogatory way some have talked about PF members on here kind of illustrates why some people may feel more comfortable starting out in that environment.

I believe the critique has been of PF's corporate policy not the actual members ….

Exactly!

I have never said anything derogatory about the members. I am only astounded by it being a "stereotype free environment".

It's cause they kick out all the 'lunkheads' and 'fitchicks' and 'yogis' and 'drill instructor' (Assuming I'm recalling their commercials and the terms they themselves use to label people correctly).

It almost makes sense, if you squint and tilt your head and don't think about it all the way. Or your head will explode.

And the Pilatatumba instructors: http://youtu.be/iFrV-TdBICY

Ah, forgot one!

Yeah. Those people. Damn those stereotype! Good on PF for getting rid of them and having an environment free of judgement. Because stereotyping people isn't judgement, it's just creating a positive environment. By excluding people.

....or. Wait. ....um.

scrubs-head-explode-o.gif

:laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • Penfoldsplace
    Options

I have no gripe with PF members, unless they share the same mindset as PF marketing.

My issue is entirely with the company itself.

Why the gripe when it's obviously not catered towards you? For example I'm vegetarian so I am not going to go to KFC and tell them I dislike their chicken serving policy. They are not designed for me and my life style choices, I just don't go there.
  • ndj1979
    Options

The woman in question was wearing crop sweat pants (So about calf length) and a cami that showed about two inches of her midriff.

That's how you define *kitten* and tits on display? Or is that just some separate rant?

gym2.jpg

Yeahh. Look at her with her....ankles and shoulders showing THE SHAME! That's harlot! Think of the children!

damn shake that T&A girl …drop it like its hot!!!!!
  • ndj1979
    Options

I have no gripe with PF members, unless they share the same mindset as PF marketing.

Why the gripe when it's obviously not catered towards you? For example I'm vegetarian so I am not going to go to KFC and tell them I dislike their chicken serving policy. They are not designed for me and my life style choices, I just don't go there.

so we can't discuss their moronic corporate policy on a public thread????
  • Achrya
    Options

Vegetarians go to KFC and picket pretty often, actually, on ethical and moral grounds.

So, actually, great analogy.
  • Daisyisacat
    Options
    Planet Fitness is a joke. I'm glad I never signed up for that gym. I will never sign up for a gym that tells me I can't wear tank tops.

I *like* seeing people's muscles and midriffs at the gym. I'm at the gym for a reason! To get muscles and midriffs just like the people that work out there!

Oy vey.

But would you feel the same way if the bare midriffs and muscles were buried deep under a thick layer of fat? As long as the dress code is clearly set out and uniformly applied, I don't have an issue with it. If I don't like the policy, I would simply choose to take my business elsewhere.

there are fit people and obese people at my gym..I am usually too busy - you know - working out and what not to give it that much thought ..so I don't give a damn what anyone wears...

Based on some of the comments, not everyone is as focused as you. My point is directed to those that are watching the "scenery". For those that don't like the policy, would you feel the same way if the woman in question was morbidly obese and not toned. Dress codes have to be enforced uniformly. How would you feel if a fat person was told to cover up at the gym simply because they are fat? Would a fat person in a tank top be told to cover up at PF?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Planet Fitness is a joke. I'm glad I never signed up for that gym. I will never sign up for a gym that tells me I can't wear tank tops.

I *like* seeing people's muscles and midriffs at the gym. I'm at the gym for a reason! To get muscles and midriffs just like the people that work out there!

Oy vey.

But would you feel the same way if the bare midriffs and muscles were buried deep under a thick layer of fat? As long as the dress code is clearly set out and uniformly applied, I don't have an issue with it. If I don't like the policy, I would simply choose to take my business elsewhere.

there are fit people and obese people at my gym..I am usually too busy - you know - working out and what not to give it that much thought ..so I don't give a damn what anyone wears...

Based on some of the comments, not everyone is as focused as you. My point is directed to those that are watching the "scenery". For those that don't like the policy, would you feel the same way if the woman in question was morbidly obese and not toned. Dress codes have to be enforced uniformly. How would you feel if a fat person was told to cover up at the gym simply because they are fat? Would a fat person in a tank top be told to cover up at PF?

Again, I could care less..if the woman was morbidly obese and wanted to wear what that lady did then more power to her ….
  • Penfoldsplace
    Options

Vegetarians go to KFC and picket pretty often, actually, on ethical and moral grounds.

I was referring to myself hence the "I'm"

If you would like to picket Planet fitness I'm sure they would like the publicity :laugh:

I probably mostly agree with you on the policy actually, :flowerforyou: and I don't see the problem with what she's wearing but I just don't see why you would sign up to somewhere with rules then get angry when they enforce them
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Wow that's appalling...
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options

The woman in question was wearing crop sweat pants (So about calf length) and a cami that showed her midriff.

gym2.jpg

thank you master snarky: I was actually coming back on here to edit my comment to say that her outfit is cute and I don't see anything wrong with it and she is most definitely not "toned" ... she is thin and you can tell she hasn't had three kids but not toned. and I was referring to those who think its appropriate to wear sports bras and tiny booty shorts only at a gym.. ummm thanks but no thanks for sarcasticly pointing that out. she knew dam well that the outfit she wore was against the policy. that's what she gets for not reading fine print.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I poked around on their website and wasn't able to find a copy of their dress code. It's not on the first couple pages of their sign up process either.

If somebody could please link to the fine print, that would be great.
  • Achrya
    Options

Oy vey.

Well I was overweight and wore tank tops and shorts to work out (less than the woman the article is talking about is wearing) and was never told to cover up so no, I wouldn't have a problem with an overweight/obese person dressing in that manner. If she's been told her body as 'distracting' because she was obese I'd just as annoyed.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    too many people haven;t a clue about being modest and love to put on a show for the men like that's all they got to offer.....their bodies. it's disrespectful to others to walk around uncovered.

The 1950s called

LOL

No but really.. it's perfectly OK for people on the other part of the spectrum to walk around doing the same thing. What a silly gym. I hope they never put one here
  • Daisyisacat
    Options

Oy vey.

Again, I could care less..if the woman was morbidly obese and wanted to wear what that lady did then more power to her ….

I agree with you. It wouldn't surprise me however if that sentiment was the exception and not the norm. But maybe I am underestimating people.
  • ndj1979
    Options

gym2.jpg

thank you master snarky: I was actually coming back on here to edit my comment to say that her outfit is cute and I don't see anything wrong with it and she is most definitely not "toned" ... she is thin and you can tell she hasn't had three kids but not toned. and I was referring to those who think its appropriate to wear sports bras and tiny booty shorts only at a gym.. ummm thanks but no thanks for sarcasticly pointing that out. she knew dam well that the outfit she wore was against the policy. that's what she gets for not reading fine print.

yea, and they complained that she was "too toned" not that her outfit did not fit some BS douchey PF policy….

speaking of reading the fine print...
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    :noway:
  • Achrya
    Options

I was referring to myself hence the "I'm"

If you would like to picket Planet fitness I'm sure they would like the publicity :laugh:

I probably mostly agree with you on the policy actually, :flowerforyou: and I don't see the problem with what she's wearing but I just don't see why you would sign up to somewhere with rules then get angry when they enforce them

I'm thinking she wasn't aware of the rules and isn't so much angry about being told to cover up (as she actually put on the T-shirt the first staff member gave her) but at the way she was told to do so ("Your body is intimidating to other people"). I could care less about PF and their stupid dress code but the way they treated this woman was just beyond what I consider acceptable.