News - woman asked to cover her toned body in the gym?

Options

Replies

• Mermaidyo
    Mermaidyo Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    We have a lot of very fit, muscular men and women at the PF I go to. I joined it because well it's freakin cheap and I wanted to build muscle while losing fat. I've met people who have helped me with my form, and showing me different work outs as well. As far as the dresscode. I guess I didn't read into it that much. There's women with something similar to that womans top, and men who barely have a shirt on lol. Either way I like the gym because I feel comfortable in there but I hate that theres a lunk alarm especially for people who have put THAT much dedication into looking great. I am hoping I can get to this point in my life. Anywho PF is in the wrong and they owe her an apology!!!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Had a feeling it might be Planet Fitness.

If you feel intimidated by someone showing off a fit body, that's your problem, not theirs! It's a gym for god's sake, while I like to cover up more, I can understand other people may want to wear less when you're getting all hot and sweaty. I don't see anything inappropriate about what that woman was wearing, a woman was wearing less at my gym yesterday!

The stupid thing with PF, is that they try to be all inclusive, and non judgemental. However, in the process they're being judgemental to the very people who take their health and fitness seriously!

I wonder if most normal gyms would tolerate an obese person walking around with very little on. It'd be a fun social experiment. I bet it would attract a lot of negative looks from the super fit crowd. Probably wouldn't take long for management to tell the person to cover up their fat because it's bad for business.

Yes, they would and don't care....................I wear tank top and tight pants to work out in at Gold's gym. I want to make sure I am using proper form and take a look at how my muscles are reacting to the way I am working them out in front of the mirror.

I have never had anything said to me.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    They are trying to bring in the more casual people.. the people that are overweight & don't want to be judged.

I think this http://www.artfire.com/uploads/product/4/314/69314/7769314/7769314/large/shredz_i_work_out_men_s_tank_top_-_large_-_gym_-_workout__3808ec4e.jpg is more along the lines of what they are trying to avoid, in addition to guys that can lift 400lbs, then throw them on the ground so everyone can hear they just lifted it.

I personally think the lady's outfit was completely acceptable, but apparently those at the gym disagree.

If someone is feeling judged, then they are very insecure. It is as simple as that.

I have seen some of the fittest people at Gold's gym stop and help new members and those that are severely overweight out to make sure they are using proper form, etc. No one judged them for being at the gym.
  • lorib75
    lorib75 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Read the last comment in the last few seconds.

Planet Fitness has a dress code.

You don't like it or don't want to abide by it?

Don't join a Planet Fitness.

While I don't agree with the dress code, its not our call to make.

THIS. AND ONLY THIS.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    The gym to which I belong requires all people to wear clothes that cover their midriff. Women do not wear sports bras, and men don't go shirtless. In fact, women are required to wear a one-piece swim suit in the pool. I don't remember anyone telling me that when I joined, but I saw how others were dressed and followed that standard. I asked about it later when I went to the pool and had a 2-piece that covered everything. I think it makes sense to have a dress code like that. I doubt the woman was "too toned." She likely was not adhering to the gym dress code.

What doesn't make sense it people's (especially women's) insecurities.

Others should be able to dress how they are comfortable and I was taught as a woman that you wear sports tanks and form fitting clothes so you can see your progress in the mirror as you workout.

If someone else has a problem with it, that is their problem, not mine or anyone else's. They need to work out their own problems without making companies interject the insecurities of others on those that are not insecure.

When you join a gym, you sign something that says that you agree to the terms at that gym. Just like the TOS on this site.
    No dress code? No problem. Wear whatever.
    Dress code that you agreed to abide by? Abide by the requirements or face the consequences. Just that simple.

The point is, we shouldn't be filled with a society of such insecure and cry baby people where we have to have a dress code to wear WORKOUT CLOTHES to the GYM!!!

That is what the clothes are made for. Not inappropriate in the least.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    It doesn't really matter if it's her issue. If the rules of the gym are to not wear certain clothes, then abide by the rules or find somewhere else simple as.
    And it's not just her issue, many people find it intimidating when they're just starting out to getting fit and everyone else is walking around showing everything off, it's only natural to feel that way

Ummm, NO that is NOT natural to feel that way. Insecurity is NOT natural. Who told you such a thing???

I guess this came about with No child left behind and everybody wins attitude that is ruining American society today.

This country sucks. I really wish I could leave and I am more and more ashamed to be an American.
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    They have a dress code, that was the issue with her outfit. Then one employee made a comment to her about the other thing. It wasn't planet fitness who said it, just one person. Seems like it is the problem of that employee..not the company. This was blown out of proportion once again by the news.

I personally liked PF. If I had one closer to me, I would definitely join.
  • Gingergal12
    Gingergal12 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Her midriff should be covered, in my opinion. I would say the same if it was a man with a cropped top.
  • GracieGag
    GracieGag Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I think this was totally rediculous. That woman looked fine. There was no reason to tell her to cover up. It was sort of reverse discrimination to thier "no judgement" philosphy. Makes no sense. Sadly Planet Fitness is my gym, but where I go, lots of people dress that way without a problem.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    That's hilarious! So is the ten minutes sweating like a pig I want to have a nice body and it's not working everyone else looks better than me throw my toys out of the pram post. What?

If my lazy gym staff moved around a bit more they'd realise that 21c is far too hot too keep a gym temp at. Luckily I know where the air conditioning control is and often whack it down to 17c. Meanwhile though I wear tiny tops and shirts because I get HOT and don't want to wear much. Plus, I run and lift next to a mirror to constantly check form as I am hyper aware of how close to injury territory I'm pushing things. It's better to wear close fitting clothes.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Her midriff should be covered, in my opinion. I would say the same if it was a man with a cropped top.

Have you ever watched the Olympics? Clothes kind of cramp athletes style!
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Join a gym without a dress code if you want to show your stomach.

When I worked out at the YMCA, a woman was asked to leave because she was in a glorified pair of underwear and bra with a Nike logo on it. You can work out just as well in a tshirt and an actual pair of shorts.

They only dress like that because they want attention. If you want to walk around in a sports bra, go to Walmart. They don't seem to have a dress code.

Spoken like someone who doesn't work out hard enough.

I'm pretty sure you can work hard in a form fitting tank top that covers your entire torso. Geezus.

And yes, I stick by the belief that people who come to the gym in basically their bra and underwear are doing it for attention. She wouldn't have been asked to leave if her tank top covered her stomach. Are you saying that cutting off the tank top to reveal her stomach makes her work out harder? :huh:

I work out in a tank top because sleeves are binding when I lift. I can't imagine that it would be any different for a woman. It's also hot and I often run shirtless for that reason. It's a gym, not church.

ETA: okay, PF isn't a gym. But the point is that there are reasons other than vanity that people don't like covering up. A screw hating on vanity anyway.

Thank you.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really matter if it's her issue. If the rules of the gym are to not wear certain clothes, then abide by the rules or find somewhere else simple as.
    And it's not just her issue, many people find it intimidating when they're just starting out to getting fit and everyone else is walking around showing everything off, it's only natural to feel that way

Ummm, NO that is NOT natural to feel that way. Insecurity is NOT natural. Who told you such a thing???

I guess this came about with No child left behind and everybody wins attitude that is ruining American society today.

This country sucks. I really wish I could leave and I am more and more ashamed to be an American.

This.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Note to self- wear string tank tops all summer long just to tick off the insecure
  • monette13
    monette13 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    This is complete CRAP!!! I am a PF member and I plan on cancelling my membership. If you the body that looks good in that workout attire, wear the damn thing!!! It should be a motivation if you are working out behind or beside her.. You should be busting your butt, telling yourself "I will be an in outfit like that soon". You are in intimidated.. workout at home. You are going to see people wearing things like she has on doing yoga, cardio classes and running outside. I can't believe some people!!!
  • scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Everyone here is judging PF for being judgmental.

I love irony.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    We have a lot of very fit, muscular men and women at the PF I go to. I joined it because well it's freakin cheap and I wanted to build muscle while losing fat. I've met people who have helped me with my form, and showing me different work outs as well. As far as the dresscode. I guess I didn't read into it that much. There's women with something similar to that womans top, and men who barely have a shirt on lol. Either way I like the gym because I feel comfortable in there but I hate that theres a lunk alarm especially for people who have put THAT much dedication into looking great. I am hoping I can get to this point in my life. Anywho PF is in the wrong and they owe her an apology!!!

how are you going to build muscle if the lunk alarm goes off every time you lift heavy?
  • kendall916
    kendall916 Posts: 4,222 Member
    Options
    This is complete CRAP!!! I am a PF member and I plan on cancelling my membership. If you the body that looks good in that workout attire, wear the damn thing!!! It should be a motivation if you are working out behind or beside her.. You should be busting your butt, telling yourself "I will be an in outfit like that soon". You are in intimidated.. workout at home. You are going to see people wearing things like she has on doing yoga, cardio classes and running outside. I can't believe some people!!!

mmhm I agree!
  • seamonster1203
    seamonster1203 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    They don't allow tank tops? Thats retarded. What's next....women should cover their hair? WTF
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Everyone here is judging PF for being judgmental.

I love irony.

ummm PF is the one that says they are a "judgement free zone" that is in their marketing….

we are just calling them out because they judge fit people as a bunch of muscle headed, grunting, idiots….