News - woman asked to cover her toned body in the gym?

Options

Replies

• monstergirl14
    monstergirl14 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I think she was dressed appropriately, but clearly there's something in their dress code that she didn't adhere to. If there is a set policy is what you have to wear to the gym, then you have to suck it up and follow the rules. Or, she could join a separate gym that doesn't have a ridiculous dress code, where she can flaunt the body she worked hard for and be happy. There are other ways.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately we are now living in a world where we have to hide our success because any and everything offends someone else and hurts their feelings.

I was reading an article the other day saying that people shouldn't say they feel "blessed" to avoid hurting the feelings of those that don't feel "blessed".

Pure hogwash.

Our society is headed for failure.
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I kind of agree with the gym. I belong to a gym where there is a lot of extremely fit people and it does kind of intimidate you when I see a woman walking around in a sports bra and I've been on the treadmill for ten minutes sweating like a pig. They advertise that they are a gym without "stereotypes" and they have a fan base because of that reason. They have to stick to their advertising or they will be like all the other gyms. I believe it's just from a business standpoint.

No, it intimidates YOU...not me. And I'm an overweight woman (granted, a lot less overweight than I used to be:). When I see in-shape ladies at the gym, I think, damn...I want those arms or that booty or whatever. Helps me work harder. In-shape people should not have to choose their work out clothing to help others feel better about themselves. Sheesh, people.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    "Planet Fitness has a dress code policy that prohibits tank tops, midriff bearing tops or muscle shirts that would otherwise intimidate the other members."

Lol. The new Taliban of fitness.

Exactly.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    "Planet Fitness has a dress code policy that prohibits tank tops, midriff bearing tops or muscle shirts that would otherwise intimidate the other members."

NO TANK TOPS?

F That noise! Tank tops are my way of life!!! Good thing they don't offer a pool as part of their schtick.
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I kind of agree with the gym. I belong to a gym where there is a lot of extremely fit people and it does kind of intimidate you when I see a woman walking around in a sports bra and I've been on the treadmill for ten minutes sweating like a pig. They advertise that they are a gym without "stereotypes" and they have a fan base because of that reason. They have to stick to their advertising or they will be like all the other gyms. I believe it's just from a business standpoint.

A lot of people who are in great shape worked harder to be that way than most people who aren't in shape could ever imagine. They have sacrificed their time, and love of good food, they have poured blood, sweat and tears to become that way. Anybody who would want to suppress a person who has worked that hard needs to reevaluate what they are doing. Instead of looking for new ways to be butt-hurt, people should use it as inspiration..."maybe if I work as hard as that person does, I'll be able to rock a body like that one day"

When you ask these people that work so hard why they do it they'll swear "it's for me, not for anyone else." So why do they feel the need to show off their hard work? If it's just for you why not just do the work and not show off? Or at the very least admit it is about showing off.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Had a feeling it might be Planet Fitness.

If you feel intimidated by someone showing off a fit body, that's your problem, not theirs! It's a gym for god's sake, while I like to cover up more, I can understand other people may want to wear less when you're getting all hot and sweaty. I don't see anything inappropriate about what that woman was wearing, a woman was wearing less at my gym yesterday!

The stupid thing with PF, is that they try to be all inclusive, and non judgemental. However, in the process they're being judgemental to the very people who take their health and fitness seriously!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

First, they came for your dead lifts. Next, they came for the squat rack. Now, they're after your tank tops. It's time for all good fitness enthusiasts to stand up and be counted, or else next they'll be coming for our oly bars and we'll all be in trouble!
  • monkeywizard
    monkeywizard Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    As others have said, it's a dress code. I don't agree with it, but then again that's a reason not to sign up with them.

If I were to sign up with them, I would do so with the understanding of the dress code & abide by the rules. I would also expect others to.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options

No, it intimidates YOU...not me. And I'm an overweight woman (granted, a lot less overweight than I used to be:). When I see in-shape ladies at the gym, I think, damn...I want those arms or that booty or whatever. Helps me work harder. In-shape people should not have to choose their work out clothing to help others feel better about themselves. Sheesh, people.

Exactly!
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    Being topless or in extremely tight revealing clothing can be very helpful if you're lifting in front of a mirror to make sure you're in proper form and working the right muscle groups.

But apparently PF cares more about hurt feelings than proper form.
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options

If you feel intimidated by someone showing off a fit body, that's your problem, not theirs! It's a gym for god's sake, while I like to cover up more, I can understand other people may want to wear less when you're getting all hot and sweaty. I don't see anything inappropriate about what that woman was wearing, a woman was wearing less at my gym yesterday!

The stupid thing with PF, is that they try to be all inclusive, and non judgemental. However, in the process they're being judgemental to the very people who take their health and fitness seriously!

I wonder if most normal gyms would tolerate an obese person walking around with very little on. It'd be a fun social experiment. I bet it would attract a lot of negative looks from the super fit crowd. Probably wouldn't take long for management to tell the person to cover up their fat because it's bad for business.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options

NO TANK TOPS?

F That noise! Tank tops are my way of life!!! Good thing they don't offer a pool as part of their schtick.

^this^
  • jdb3388
    jdb3388 Posts: 239 Member
    Options

A lot of people who are in great shape worked harder to be that way than most people who aren't in shape could ever imagine. They have sacrificed their time, and love of good food, they have poured blood, sweat and tears to become that way. Anybody who would want to suppress a person who has worked that hard needs to reevaluate what they are doing. Instead of looking for new ways to be butt-hurt, people should use it as inspiration..."maybe if I work as hard as that person does, I'll be able to rock a body like that one day"

When you ask these people that work so hard why they do it they'll swear "it's for me, not for anyone else." So why do they feel the need to show off their hard work? If it's just for you why not just do the work and not show off? Or at the very least admit it is about showing off.

Who cares who its for? Some people work out to be healthy, some people work out as a hobby, some work out to relieve stress, and some work out to look better than everyone else. Who cares? If you work hard for something you have the right to show it off. If you don't like the fact that you can't be that way, then work harder. One of my favorite quotes: "Don't wish it were easier, wish you were better."
  • monkeywizard
    monkeywizard Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    They are trying to bring in the more casual people.. the people that are overweight & don't want to be judged.

I think this http://www.artfire.com/uploads/product/4/314/69314/7769314/7769314/large/shredz_i_work_out_men_s_tank_top_-_large_-_gym_-_workout__3808ec4e.jpg is more along the lines of what they are trying to avoid, in addition to guys that can lift 400lbs, then throw them on the ground so everyone can hear they just lifted it.

I personally think the lady's outfit was completely acceptable, but apparently those at the gym disagree.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

I wonder if most normal gyms would tolerate an obese person walking around with very little on. It'd be a fun social experiment. I bet it would attract a lot of negative looks from the super fit crowd. Probably wouldn't take long for management to tell the person to cover up their fat because it's bad for business.

You've watched "Dodge Ball" one too many times.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    way to go planet fitness...what a freaking joke..

and for the record - that lady is really not that "toned' ...at a good body weight, yes; toned, no...

pathetic...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

really, so "fit" people can't go to a gym to stay "fit"....

So it is ok to "stereotype" fit people..? Really?

This post makes no sense to me...
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

First, they came for your dead lifts. Next, they came for the squat rack. Now, they're after your tank tops. It's time for all good fitness enthusiasts to stand up and be counted, or else next they'll be coming for our oly bars and we'll all be in trouble!
    I think you mean....

First they came for the meatheads, and I did not speak out-- Because I was not a meathead.

Then they came for the lunks, and I did not speak out-- Because I was not a lunk.

Then they came for the bare bellies, and I did not speak out-- Because I was not a bare bellies.

Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Are you intimidated when at the beach and someone looks better than you?
    Are you initimidated when driving through a nicer neighborhood with bigger houses than yours?
    Are you initimidated when some hangs adnvanced degrees on their office walls?
    Where does the initimidation end? Are you constantly initimidated by life?