A CALORIE IS NOT A CALORIE

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    And since I'm an utter attention store, I'd like to add that I am 15 minutes from satisfying my burger craving.
    Ohhhh happy happy mouth!!!

I had burger king chicken tenders...nom nom...so worth it...
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    right, we are all too stupid to understand your brilliance.

Maybe you need to step back and realize that there are about ten to fifteen people telling you that you are wrong and you keep contradicting yourself. Yet, every time that is pointed out you just say "stop misrepresenting me" or "you do not understand"..Yes, we understand....you are wrong..deal with it..

Maybe you are. I don't find it that difficult to understand these issues. But I also have degrees and tests that put me in the top 1% of the US population IQ/intelligence-wise. So, it's MUCH more likely that some of you simply aren't able to understand this rather than I'm incorrect about this basic biology (and that was what I got my degree in -- with honors).

Oh, now I am so in.

Me too...

i love when people on a forum pull out the MENSA card (real or implicit) as a last ditch effort to try and win an argument that they cannot win via the power of persuasion. i understand that MENSA allows the top 2% of IQ's to join (based on applicable standardized tests or their own test) and that she's claiming to be in the top 1% (i.e. 99th percentile), but since there is no next-lowest level high IQ society between MENSA (1 in 50 are eligible to join) and the Triple 9 Society (1 in 1000 are eligible to join), i'm going to go ahead and say that for all intents and purposes, she's pulling the MENSA card.

also, for pulling the MENSA card --> :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yep.

There are a few other high IQ societies, but that's an aside. I find it curious that a person of self-proclaimed intelligence basically uses that as an argument since it is a very weak and basic logical fallacy called appeal to authority.
    The argument that something is correct based on a person's degree or IQ and not on intrinsic structural and information value is hubris and shows a strong lack of study of syllogistic basics, something that anyone, even a biologist, dealing with scientific theory must have learned a bit. It is in fact an argument supporting that the person that pulls out that card has weak logic skills.

Wanna translate all that into derp for me? :laugh:

Arguing from the position of degrees and IQ is not too smart.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    I've got a Human Sciences degree (with hons) and my uni's life sciences dept was judged to be one of the top 3 in the UK and I have a high IQ too in fact an ed psych said if I'd had adequate help for ADHD and dyslexia at high school I'd have "got straight As and gone to Oxford or Cambridge" .....so could have been at one of the top two unis but for factors beyond my control, plus my spelling's pretty good for someone who'd diagnosed dyslexic...... and also I have a palaeoanthropology blog that's kinda awesome though I say so myself. And I have neanderthal DNA and they had the biggest brain for body size of all primate species ever, including Homo sapiens.

so can I play? :flowerforyou:

Never knew you had a blog. I need to check that out. I always find the information you share about paleo life super interesting.

it's http://cavepeopleandstuff.wordpress.com/
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    I just want to know what foods I can eat that will let me burn 1200 calories an hour swinging a kettlebell.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    I've got a Human Sciences degree (with hons) and my uni's life sciences dept was judged to be one of the top 3 in the UK and I have a high IQ too in fact an ed psych said if I'd had adequate help for ADHD and dyslexia at high school I'd have "got straight As and gone to Oxford or Cambridge" .....so could have been at one of the top two unis but for factors beyond my control, plus my spelling's pretty good for someone who'd diagnosed dyslexic...... and also I have a palaeoanthropology blog that's kinda awesome though I say so myself. And I have neanderthal DNA and they had the biggest brain for body size of all primate species ever, including Homo sapiens.

Never knew you had a blog. I need to check that out. I always find the information you share about paleo life super interesting.

It's great, my oldest daughter has received the link too.

Btw, since we might as well make the thread drift a little, I never got to Neanderthal on my last vacation. The girls were too interested in climbing and swimming. But it's still a destination. Thanks!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    My son falls in to that same category.

My reason for telling you this...

Sometimes he can't see the forest for the trees (or is that the trees for the forest?). He is so brilliant that at times...he can't see the things that are simple. In his mind...he looks for the complicated...at times he has trouble communicating his thoughts in a way that others can understand.

I have always told him...he is not a special snowflake...in the real world things don't always work as he thinks they should...and that he has trouble some times coming in out of the rain.

The other thing that I taught him...never make someone else feel less than simply because he is in that top 1%.

I generally agree with you. But when challenge with a herd mentality argument of sheer numbers (i.e. 15 say you're wrong = you must be wrong), I do feel it's fair to counter with a comparison of the individuals in that herd.

Except that you can't be sure of who is in that herd. :flowerforyou:
    Exactly. Lindsey is making an awful lot of assumptions about this particular herd and where she fits into it.

I actually feel badly. I should have warned her. Seriously. :frown:

Can I play? Lindsey, your sample here in non-random and doesn't represent the general population. Don't dig that statistical hole.

Just to play, what do you think is the skewing here on these boards? Do you think people are smarter than the average population or dumber? Do you think more people here specialize in scientific subjects (by either practice or education)?

I certainly haven't seen anything either way to give me a gut instinct that people are particularly smarter or have greater scientific expertise on average? Some, certainly, but not as a statement against the whole, given the small sample I've seen.

I think the person was referring to the fact that we are on a fitness site, and that the posters here are going to tend to have done more research on fitness and nutrition than the general population, not to mention their own personal experience. And I'm sorry, but neither IQ nor a specialization in science are required for one to have an understanding of nutrition or to be able to extrapolate information from scientific articles, nor are they required for people to be correct in their arguments.
  • And since I'm an utter attention store, I'd like to add that I am 15 minutes from satisfying my burger craving.
    :drinker:

:drinker:

This whole thread is effing exhausting! Be thankful for your food and enjoy it! :laugh:
    Meat Lovers Pizza for me!!!!!!! :love:
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member

Sometimes he can't see the forest for the trees (or is that the trees for the forest?). He is so brilliant that at times...he can't see the things that are simple. In his mind...he looks for the complicated...at times he has trouble communicating his thoughts in a way that others can understand.

I have always told him...he is not a special snowflake...in the real world things don't always work as he thinks they should...and that he has trouble some times coming in out of the rain.

The other thing that I taught him...never make someone else feel less than simply because he is in that top 1%.

I generally agree with you. But when challenge with a herd mentality argument of sheer numbers (i.e. 15 say you're wrong = you must be wrong), I do feel it's fair to counter with a comparison of the individuals in that herd.

If most people in this thread have vocalized the fact that you are confused not making sense, shouldn't you be asking yourself "what is the common demoninator here?" Instead of trying to imply that you are the genius victim of a bunch of stupid people (i.e. herd mentality'), maybe (just maybe) you might be wrong.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member

Exactly. Lindsey is making an awful lot of assumptions about this particular herd and where she fits into it.

Can I play? Lindsey, your sample here in non-random and doesn't represent the general population. Don't dig that statistical hole.

Just to play, what do you think is the skewing here on these boards? Do you think people are smarter than the average population or dumber? Do you think more people here specialize in scientific subjects (by either practice or education)?

I certainly haven't seen anything either way to give me a gut instinct that people are particularly smarter or have greater scientific expertise on average? Some, certainly, but not as a statement against the whole, given the small sample I've seen.

Hmmm, let's see.

Given that people need to find the place, use the forums, be sufficiently educated to interact with an interface that is less than perfect, inference meaning through a conversation medium full of ambiguity and use an app in the calculation of TDEE, BMR,etc I'd guess that the general MFP consumer has at least a slight kurtosis towards educated and higher IQ. Given that I worked in Internet and health marketing the general stats also show a skew in population that use forums (at least through 2010).

So yes. However, smarter or not, it's got little to do with that actual knowledge. Or validity of proposition.

What kind of biology did you specialize in? (Not an attack or argument point, I'm curious)

Where I was, it was called integrative biology. At the time, and still may be the case, there are two different biology degrees: integrative biology and molecular and cell biology, though there are a lot of overlaps in the classes. Had I taken two more classes in MCB, I would've been up with that degree instead. Integrative captured everything that was not strictly molecular or cellular-based, so from histology all the way up to population studies, cognitive science, ecology and macroevolution. I, personally, spent a lot of time in the human body classes, from histology to organ systems and whatnot because, at the time, I thought (1) it was more interesting, and (2) thought I was going to go either into related research or medicine.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member

If most people in this thread have vocalized the fact that you are confused not making sense, shouldn't you be asking yourself "what is the common demoninator here?" Instead of trying to imply that you are the genius victim of a bunch of stupid people (i.e. herd mentality'), maybe (just maybe) you might be wrong.

agreed....
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member

It's great, my oldest daughter has received the link too.

Btw, since we might as well make the thread drift a little, I never got to Neanderthal on my last vacation. The girls were too interested in climbing and swimming. But it's still a destination. Thanks!

It's a really good idea for a holiday destination :drinker: and swimming and climbing are excellent too
  • Crateria_
    Crateria_ Posts: 253 Member
    ReDiMKi.gif
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member

I think the person was referring to the fact that we are on a fitness site, and that the posters here are going to tend to have done more research on fitness and nutrition than the general population, not to mention their own personal experience. And I'm sorry, but neither IQ nor a specialization in science are required for one to have an understanding of nutrition or to be able to extrapolate information from scientific articles, nor are they required for people to be correct in their arguments.

Exactly. It is a little amusing to see people clinging to undergrad studies on fitness message boards. A non college educated fitness enthusiast could use the internet to learn more relevant information to body composition and weightlifting/diet than nearly all hard science undergrad majors in probably 1 months time.

I know this is true for endocrinology as it relates to muscle gain. I would trust a totally average avid forum poster on a bodybuilding website to have more accurate and more applicable knowledge on the subject than almost any General Practitioner in the US. The amount of endocrinology they are required to cover, especially as it relates to weightlifting, is pitiful and easily outmatched by most internet gurus.

Of course, people need the education and capacity for logic to fully understand this stuff, but come on...this is an internet fitness forum...most everyone is fairly educated/nerdy/intelligent/etc etc. Not a bunch of uneducated idiots.
  • And since I'm an utter attention store, I'd like to add that I am 15 minutes from satisfying my burger craving.

I don't think we're talking about calories anymore. I think that the topic has changed to who has the best undergraduate degree and IQ:)
  • EvgeniZyntx

Hmmm, let's see.

Given that people need to find the place, use the forums, be sufficiently educated to interact with an interface that is less than perfect, inference meaning through a conversation medium full of ambiguity and use an app in the calculation of TDEE, BMR,etc I'd guess that the general MFP consumer has at least a slight kurtosis towards educated and higher IQ. Given that I worked in Internet and health marketing the general stats also show a skew in population that use forums (at least through 2010).

So yes. However, smarter or not, it's got little to do with that actual knowledge. Or validity of proposition.

What kind of biology did you specialize in? (Not an attack or argument point, I'm curious)

Where I was, it was called integrative biology. At the time, and still may be the case, there are two different biology degrees: integrative biology and molecular and cell biology, though there are a lot of overlaps in the classes. Had I taken two more classes in MCB, I would've been up with that degree instead. Integrative captured everything that was not strictly molecular or cellular-based, so from histology all the way up to population studies, cognitive science, ecology and macroevolution. I, personally, spent a lot of time in the human body classes, from histology to organ systems and whatnot because, at the time, I thought (1) it was more interesting, and (2) thought I was going to go either into related research or medicine.

Interesting - I wish my daughter's program had been more generalist at first rather than deep dives in sub categories. Maybe she would have found it less overwhelming.

Guyton's, huh?
  • lindsey1979

I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree on that. I went back and read most of my posts, and they're not really complicated. Some people just don't want to address the differences with fat loss, muscle loss and weight loss and how different calories affect that. I firmly believe it's not a lack of being clear, but a lack of basic reading comprehension and desire not conflict with their long-held belief that all calories are the same.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member

agreed....
    I herd that.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    right, we are all too stupid to understand your brilliance.

Maybe you need to step back and realize that there are about ten to fifteen people telling you that you are wrong and you keep contradicting yourself. Yet, every time that is pointed out you just say "stop misrepresenting me" or "you do not understand"..Yes, we understand....you are wrong..deal with it..

Maybe you are. I don't find it that difficult to understand these issues. But I also have degrees and tests that put me in the top 1% of the US population IQ/intelligence-wise. So, it's MUCH more likely that some of you simply aren't able to understand this rather than I'm incorrect about this basic biology (and that was what I got my degree in -- with honors).

oooooo with honors…and top 1% of class….

yea, I do not need to go through my "credentials" to impress a bunch of people..

The fact is you have contradicted yourself about five times in this thread, and I will let your previous posting history speak for itself..

and I will sign off with this…

If you really graduated in the top 1% of your class, why do you cite "marks daily apple" as a source..??/ And how come whenever someone asks for the studies that you always cite you can never "access" them …

seems to me if you were in the top 1% of a "top institution" then you would have said studies easily accessible…

but have fun never being wrong and contradicting yourself about a thousand more times...
  • ReDiMKi.gif

:laugh:

Science!!
  • lindsey1979

Hmmm, let's see.

Interesting - I wish my daughter's program had been more generalist at first rather than deep dives in sub categories. Maybe she would have found it less overwhelming.

Guyton's, huh?

I think the idea was that they wanted to provide the opportunity for both. The university was and is a research powerhouse, so there was no lack of deep diving available. In fact, you had to kind of fight against that tendency as many professors wanted to scoop you up his research assistants very quickly. Plus the IB department had the big advantage of having a research station in Tahiti. That's pretty big advantage, no?