Garmin Vivofit

Options
Is anyone using the new Garmin Vivofit? How does it compare to the Fitbit Flex or Force? Thanks.

Replies

• MsValerieAnne
    MsValerieAnne Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I am not using one, but I am seriously thinking of purchasing one because of the large display! My eyes aren't the best and it's getting harder and harder to read the output on my fb ultra. I would like to know how others like it as well, the only reviews I have really found on it are from 'professionals'.
  • numsquat
    numsquat Posts: 133
    Options
    Can't compare to a Fitbit (never had one) but have been happy with my Vivofit so far for my needs. Here's a quick synopsis.

Pros
    -Very comfortable. The strap has yet to snap off (and since it's still cold around here still wearing long sleeve shirts/sweats/coats/etc).
    -Seems to be pretty accurate. Doesn't give me many non-steps: none when driving, around 50 when showing & dressing in the morning.
    -Works great with a HRM strap. I'm using mine with a Timex strap (which also uses ANT+) and have not had a problem, Nice thing about ANT+ versus Bluetooth (which Polar uses) is that I can pair multiple devices. I can use my Vivofi and my Timex Run Trainer at the same time with the HRM strap.
    -When tracking calories, it will give you a net calorie for your exercise when using the HRM strap versus a gross, whcih means it is more accurate than just tracking your HRM calorie burn.
    -I have no complaints on the hardware. The vibrating alarm others have I really don't need, the screen is easy to read and don't need a back light, I like syncing with both my computer and Android phone (works with IOS and Macs also), just no real complaints.

Cons
    -Garmin Connect software. I know they are in transition from version 1 to 2 and are having lots of issues. Reports are they are working to fix the issues and have a couple of updates already in the last couple of weeks. Hopefully they will be fixed soon. Also, it's not integrating with MFP (yet). The Garmin API has always been and issue but again reports are that they will be working with some big sites, including MFP, about this soon (as in end of March to mid-April).

Neither
    -There is a firmware glitch where the calorie count on the Vivofit gives a gross calorie count while Garmin Connect gives the net calories and this is supposed to be corrected in the next firmware update.
    -If you have a Garmin GPS watch, you will get duplicate data from the Vivifit and the GPS watch on Connect. Again, is supposed to to be fixed in the next update where the GPS watch data will override the Vivofit data (only really affects you if you have a Garmin GPS watch).

My results have been very good so far. I track my calories in on MFP and calories out using the Vivofit and put my data into a spreadsheet. I have it set up to loose 1-1.5 lbs/week (based on the BMR from Garmin) and have been consistently doing that since I've had the Vivofit, so it's doing what I wanted it to do.
  • domane1
    domane1 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I did get the Vivofit and have been using it for about a week now. Personally, I think it's much better than the FitBit, which I was having to recharge every few days. I also bought the heart rate monitor and use it for all of my workouts.

As you mentioned, Garmin Connect is a little buggy, but I know they are working on that. All in all, it's been a great experience so far!
  • ramette23
    Options
    I'm pleased to hear the positive comments on the vivofit as I'm about to buy one - anyone know whether Garmin Connect will link with MFP? I was hoping it would automatically transfer my data rather than having to input it every time like I currently have to do with my Polar.
  • domane1
    Options
    @ramette23, presently, I don't think that Connect or the Vivofit syncs with MFP. I sent a note to MFP asking about this and they said they would consider it. Whatever that means...
  • ramette23
    Options
    Thanks @domane1 my vivofit is arriving this evening, very excited about it. Would be nice if it did sync with MFP...
  • numsquat
    numsquat Posts: 133
    Options
    Until MFP pairs up with Garmin Connect, there is a work around. You could set up a Fitbit account (if you don't already have one) and use FitDataSync http://www.fitdatasync.com/ to synce your Garmin data to Fitbit, then link your MFP to Fitbit.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    We preordered one for my wife. The HRM sealed it. Well, it was between that and the Polar Loop. IMHO those two are far better than any FitBits, etc.

There were a few reasons we went Vivofit over Loop: better water protection, long battery life, sleep tracking, data export/portability.

HOWEVER, her's had a funky LCD, so it got sent back for warranty service Friday. She talked with a couple guys in Kansas, and her's is the first defective one they had in the system. They also are on back order till mid April, but her warranty replacement is coming out faster. Between talking with her, and talking with her again, they actually brought up some of her concerns in design meetings - biggest would be merging workouts: i.e. using a vivofit's HRM with a GPS track from another device (like a FR 10 that she already has).

CN: Good experiences so far, IMHO best feature set at the price point, A+ customer service.
  • domane1
    Options
    @btrflymeg, thanks for the info, that's great. The vivo is awesome; it was a no brainer once I realized that you could pair it with a garmin heart rate monitor.
  • plow13
    plow13 Posts: 7
    Options
    It doesnt sync my steps...only syncs if you use the HRM
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    It doesnt sync my steps...only syncs if you use the HRM
    What do you mean by this.
  • imdeadicated
    imdeadicated Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    "Until MFP pairs up with Garmin Connect, there is a work around. You could set up a Fitbit account (if you don't already have one) and use FitDataSync http://www.fitdatasync.com/ to synce your Garmin data to Fitbit, then link your MFP to Fitbit."

i do this currently. but what i've found (granted i haven't looked very hard) is that fitdatasync only synchronizes the garmin activities (bike, run, etc.) from your forerunner (or whatever garmin device you use) but does not sync the vivofit data. so you wind up having an inaccurate "calories remaining" count in my fitness pal.

it would be so much easier, and makes the most sense, if garmin would simply pair with my fitness pal.
  • fyoung1111
    fyoung1111 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Let me start out by saying that I have a Fitbit One, Polar Loop, and Vivofit. The first two are now languishing in a drawer. Despite some serious software problems with both the web and mobile apps, the VF is the clear winner.

About MFP integration. It seems complicated on the surface but is really easy to DIY once you realize how all of the moving parts fit together.

Now that I have been mucking around in MFP for a bit, I realize that they have their own version of adulterated BMR. At least they don't call it BMR like Garmin does. MFP call it Calories Burned From Normal Daily Activity. My number (with normal daily activities setting on Sedentary) is 1,910 which is 80 calories higher than my Garminized BMR of 1,830 and 25% higher than my "Real" BMR of 1525. What this means is that MFP, like Garmin, has baked some level of activity into their baseline number.

To make manual integration work out right, you would add your Garmin Total Calories less your MFP "Calories Burned From Normal Daily Activity" (CBFNDA) in the form of a Vivifit Custom Exercise in order to feed MFP an accurate picture of TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure or BMR+Activity Based Calorie Burn).

For example, Garmin Connect Modern (GCM) says I burned 2,905 total calories yesterday (1,830 BMR + 1,075 Active). Subtracting MFP's 1,910 CBFNDA from 2,905 leaves 995 which is the number of calories I put in as a custom exercise. Works perfectly.

I wish I had all of the time back I have spent *****ing at Polar and Garmin about their failure to integrate with MFP. I still wish it was automatic but, for now, I trust this more than anything Garmin might decide to feed MFP on their own. The main problem with this work-around is that you don't get accurate real-time feedback regarding your status at any point "Today" as GCM does not give you an accurate total calorie burn until midnight yesterday so this is necessarily a "morning after" retrospective exercise.

To summarize, sometime TODAY

1. Get YESTERDAY's Total Calories From the Steps widget on your GCM Health & Fitness (default) dashboard
    2. Subtract your MFP Calories Burned from Normal Daily Activities (found under Goals in the Your Diet Profile section)
    3. Add the difference to MFP as a custom exercise (I call mine Vivofit Activity but call it anything you want)

All done. How easy is that?
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    fyoung1111 - I'm having trouble finding this (see below) in mfp, can you give me a click by click how to get to it?

2. Subtract your MFP Calories Burned from Normal Daily Activities (found under Goals in the Your Diet Profile section)
  • jaz050465
    Options
    fyoung1111 - I'm having trouble finding this (see below) in mfp, can you give me a click by click how to get to it?

Do you use app or website
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options

Do you use app or website

both
  • jaz050465
    Options
    On website, go to My Home, then Goals. Look at top of right column
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Had the FitBit Force and liked it, but it was recalled so had the Garmin and, while good, it was lacking in my opinion so they are going back.

Two things were not very apparent in the materials and reviews I read, but it doesn't show any active workout data except heart rate (so no time, distance, calories, or anything while working out). The worst part is, it has no light. Yup. You cannot see the readout at all in dim or dark areas.

Not sure what I am going to buy next. Hopefully they will fix/upgrade the FitBit Force. The ONLY thing I wished the Force had was use with a HR monitor.
  • mkrynsky
    mkrynsky Posts: 1
    Options
    I've owned a Nike Fuelband, Jawbone Up, Fitbit One, Fitbit Flex and Bodymedia Armband. I tested 4 of them simultaneously for 30 days to help me distinguish the differences between them and wrote a blog post about it here: http://lifestreamblog.com/nike-fuelband-jawbone-up-fitbit-one-and-bodymedia-armband-comparison-review/

A few days ago I bought the Garmin Vivofit after reading several very positive reviews of the unit. I'm now testing it against my Fitbit Flex and so far it's been great in almost area of comparison except for the lesser features of the data viewed on the website and lack of integration with 3rd party services like MFP because of their limited availability of their API. These issues are by no means deal-breakers and I'm sure over time will be improved.

So far I'm very happy with the Vivofit and will see how that enjoyment goes over the next few weeks.
  • JL2513
    JL2513 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    So pleased to hear such great things about the Vivofit. I've had my eye on it for a while now, but wasn't sure if I should wait/do more research. I'm in!