Wrongly labeled foods!

Options
Sometimes calories aren't always labeled accurately (or they're misleading, or confusing). Let's make a list!

That 0 calorie spray butter? It's actually 8 calories per spray. The government has some kind of guidelines where if it's under x, they can write 0, or something. (You can find out more by Googling, and hopefully someone comes and says I'm wrong, cuz it's delicious).

Bacon! What they don't tell you is that one slice = 35 calories (or whatever it is) does not include grease. Better weigh it! (I'm guessing this is the problem, anyway. I was eating at a pretty good deficit with a lot of bacon, but I wasn't weighing it (and using a lot of the grease) and didn't lose a single ounce in a few weeks. In fact I gained a little!)

Zero calorie soda? I'm not sure about this one, but I've seen quite a few people say they've gained weight after taking diet soda back into their dietary rotation.

Post all the ones you know (or are curious about, maybe someone else has the answer)! :-)

Replies

• SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Oh! Pretty much everything in the Asian grocery stores (here, anyway). Almost everything they stock is allegedly 100 calories or less (lol). Even this one kind of ramen noodle is only ~250, with a ton of sauce, and stuff. It's crazy! I don't know how they get away with it, but it's certainly wrong.
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
  • vkk123
    vkk123 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    a tsp of cinnamon is 25 calories.coffee 10 calories. may not seem significant but 5 cups of coffee a day can add up.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    actually the law is this
    Unfortunately, Nutrition Facts labels are not always factual. For starters, the law allows a pretty lax margin of error—up to 20 percent—for the stated value versus actual value of nutrients. In reality, that means a 100-calorie pack could, theoretically, contain up to 120 calories and still not be violating the law.

But this is the reason I weigh my food and I don't trust that 5 crackers are 19g which is 90 calories.
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree. As for the diet soda, I doubt there's actually much in it since it's nearly all chemicals that your body can't process. But I have noticed since I cut out my diet coke, I don't eat nearly as much. I've read before that it has an effect on your brain not feeling full.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    I definitely agree. As for the diet soda, I doubt there's actually much in it since it's nearly all chemicals that your body can't process. But I have noticed since I cut out my diet coke, I don't eat nearly as much. I've read before that it has an effect on your brain not feeling full.

eh I drink 3-6 diet cokes a day depending on the day...Love em...I have no issues with hunger unless I've had a heavy lifting day.
  • SymphonynSonata
    Options

Oh, yeah! I've read that artificial sweeteners do that, too. They make you think you're getting sugar, but you're not, so you start craving it. I'm not sure how much truth there is to that, but it may be connected!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Wha? Diet sodas are 96% water. Pretty sure your body knows how to process water. The rest of the ingredients are various proteins and minerals that your body digests by the truckload (figuratively speaking) in all the food you eat every day. There's absolutely nothing in a diet soda that you don't already eat.
  • LC458
    LC458 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    a tsp of cinnamon is 25 calories.coffee 10 calories. may not seem significant but 5 cups of coffee a day can add up.
    Cinnamon?? Oh no!! I go through truckloads of this stuff weekly :/ well thank you for at least making me aware.
  • 6ftamazon
    Options
    Wha? Diet sodas are 96% water. Pretty sure your body knows how to process water. The rest of the ingredients are various proteins and minerals that your body digests by the truckload (figuratively speaking) in all the food you eat every day. There's absolutely nothing in a diet soda that you don't already eat.

Ingredients in diet coke:
    Carbonated water, colour (caramel E150d), sweeteners (aspartame, acesulfame-K), natural flavourings including caffeine, phosphoric acid, citric acid. Contains a source of phenylalanine (not a good thing btw)

Cherry diet coke:
    Carbonated water, natural flavourings including caffeine, colour (caramel E150d), citric acid, sweeteners (aspartame, acesulfame-K), phosphoric acid, acidity regulator (E331), tartaric acid. Contains a source of phenylalanine.

If you're getting any of these besides the carbonated water (and caffiene). in your daily diet, that's not good for your health.

Again, to each their own, but that's how I feel
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Carbonated water, colour (caramel E150d), sweeteners (aspartame, acesulfame-K), natural flavourings including caffeine, phosphoric acid, citric acid. Contains a source of phenylalanine (not a good thing btw)

Cherry diet coke:
    Carbonated water, natural flavourings including caffeine, colour (caramel E150d), citric acid, sweeteners (aspartame, acesulfame-K), phosphoric acid, acidity regulator (E331), tartaric acid. Contains a source of phenylalanine.

If you're getting any of these besides the carbonated water (and caffiene). in your daily diet, that's not good for your health.

actually read this the only people that should watch their intake of phenylalanine are people with a certian disorder...

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/phenylalanine/faq-20058361
  • 6ftamazon
    Options

Cherry diet coke:

actually read this the only people that should watch their intake of phenylalanine are people with a certian disorder...

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/phenylalanine/faq-20058361

Honestly, I'm not here to argue. I've done plenty of research, but I choose not to consume such products because even good arguments don't sound that promising to me. Like I said, to each their own....I'm not here to tell anyone what to put in their body, just sharing my view :)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Cherry diet coke:

Hmmm.

Aspartame - Aspartic Acid and Phenylalanine, both amino acids, phenylalanine is essential for life, aspartic acid is made by the human body.

Citric Acid - Well gee, our entire human metabolism runs on something called the "Citric Acid cycle," so I'm not sure how long you'd live with no citric acid in your system. Also, oranges, lemons, grapefruits, limes, but I'm guessing you don't eat CITRUS fruits, either, right?

Phospohoric acid - Well Phosphorus is a major structural component of DNA and RNA, so again, good luck staying alive without it.

Acesulfame-K - a Potassium salt. Yeah, you need potassium to live also.

So uh yeah. If you're not getting those things in other foods you eat, you won't be alive. But hey, go ahead and keep on with your fear mongering.

G-TheGoodThingSci.png
  • swoffie
    swoffie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hold up. Phenylalanine is an essential amino acid (that means its necessary for your body but its not something you can synthesize from other compounds so YOU HAVE TO EAT IT) and it's commonly found in breast milk. Not everything with a long "scary" name is bad for you, though I'm definitely not a fan of diet sodas for other reasons. I don't know what the effects of *excessive* consumption of it is but to say it's not a good thing for your body is outrageous.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options

Cherry diet coke:

Shame you decided to avoid phenylalanine since it's an essential amino acid... :ohwell: Don't be afraid of 'chemicals'. Everything you put in your body is a chemical. If it's allowed to be sold as food, it is safe.
  • defauIt
    defauIt Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Hmmm.

Aspartame - Aspartic Acid and Phenylalanine, both amino acids, phenylalanine is essential for life, aspartic acid is made by the human body.

Citric Acid - Well gee, our entire human metabolism runs on something called the "Citric Acid cycle," so I'm not sure how long you'd live with no citric acid in your system. Also, oranges, lemons, grapefruits, limes, but I'm guessing you don't eat CITRUS fruits, either, right?

Phospohoric acid - Well Phosphorus is a major structural component of DNA and RNA, so again, good luck staying alive without it.

Acesulfame-K - a Potassium salt. Yeah, you need potassium to live also.

So uh yeah. If you're not getting those things in other foods you eat, you won't be alive. But hey, go ahead and keep on with your fear mongering.

G-TheGoodThingSci.png

I love how you conveniently left out the most dangerous ingredient they sneak into all diet drinks - loads and loads of dihydrogen monoxide. It's responsible for thousands of deaths per year through ingestion into the lungs which causes people to be unable to get sufficient oxygen into their blood which causes death.

Ban diet drinks! No more chemicals in our foods! Government needs to do something ASAP!!!
  • 6ftamazon
    Options
    The citric acid, Phenylalanine does not come from natural sources. It's all chemically processed. That's what I'm getting at. I can find sites that contradict what you all are saying too
    This compound occurs naturally in the environment, leading to claims that it is something found in nature itself. Manufacturers isolate this compound and concentrate it from natural sources. They use it to make the artificial sweetener aspartame, sold commercially as Equal and NutraSweet. The body digests these sweeteners and produces several by-products, one of which is this molecule. The problem is that isolating this compound and concentrating it creates unnatural levels of intake in the body. One would not ingest this quantity from foods.
    From
    http://weightloss.answers.com/nutrition/hidden-dangers-of-phenylalanine-in-diet-coke

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/5-reasons-aspartame-is-bad-for-you.html

I don't get why me choosing not to drink diet drinks has anything to do with anyone else. I'm just stating my opinion. No you don't have to agree with it, but don't act like it's stupid please
  • SymphonynSonata
    Options
    Can't you take paint off of a car with soda? That's a little scary.
  • swoffie
    swoffie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If Phenylalanine was impossible to get from natural sources, mammals would not exist. Full stop. It is fundamentally necessary to life and again, it is found in breast milk. That's a natural source. You seem to be confusing "can be made artificially" with "must be made artificially". If you want to avoid diet soda because the ingredients are processed, say that. If you're avoiding it because "phenylalanine is bad for you", which is what you said, then you shouldn't be surprised when everyone with a basic biological education rolls their eyes.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    back on topic...

I just made my dinner and the package said it was 640g...a serving is 320g so that is "as is" not cooked...

I weighed the entire meal in the bag and it was 647 grams..so I figured the extra 7 grams was packaging...nope the package was 20g....:angry:

So the actual package is 607g therefore I have been cheating myself out of some chocolate calories...so bogus.:explode:

note: I weighed the entire thing cooked and took half of it and logged it like that...worked out to 0.90 servings