Wrongly labeled foods!

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    a tsp of cinnamon is 25 calories.coffee 10 calories. may not seem significant but 5 cups of coffee a day can add up.
    Cinnamon?? Oh no!! I go through truckloads of this stuff weekly :/ well thank you for at least making me aware.

25? That seems like an awful lot! I'm pretty sure a teaspoon of cinnamon is closer to 5 or 6 calories.

Yeah, a teaspoon is 6 calories. A tablespoon would be close to 20, maybe that's what she was thinking.

Packets of Splenda or Truvia etc. also have ~5 calories each I believe.
    And some mustard is labeled 0 calories, but if you cover your hot dog in mustard thinking it's 0 calories, it might be closer to 20 or 30 calories, since I believe it's about 5 calories per teaspoon.

And if you're going to eat a tablespoon of ground cinnamon...

...which I strongly advise you don't...

...but if you are, do it all at once...

...and have someone take a video.

jan._30_cinammon_challenge.gif

edit: better gif
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    a tsp of cinnamon is 25 calories.coffee 10 calories. may not seem significant but 5 cups of coffee a day can add up.
    Cinnamon?? Oh no!! I go through truckloads of this stuff weekly :/ well thank you for at least making me aware.

25? That seems like an awful lot! I'm pretty sure a teaspoon of cinnamon is closer to 5 or 6 calories.

As with most things, go by the weight. In this case, 2g has 6.2 calories
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/spices-and-herbs/180/2
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    back on topic...

I just made my dinner and the package said it was 640g...a serving is 320g so that is "as is" not cooked...

I weighed the entire meal in the bag and it was 647 grams..so I figured the extra 7 grams was packaging...nope the package was 20g....:angry:

So the actual package is 607g therefore I have been cheating myself out of some chocolate calories...so bogus.:explode:

note: I weighed the entire thing cooked and took half of it and logged it like that...worked out to 0.90 servings

I have the same issue with rice. Boxed, bagged, precooked, doesn't seem to matter. The servings in the package are never what it claims to be (usually falls short), and don't even get me started on the dry to cooked equivalents. If there's one thing I'll always weigh/measure, it's rice.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options

This is the best thing...ever. I'm still laughing!
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options

Yeah, a teaspoon is 6 calories. A tablespoon would be close to 20, maybe that's what she was thinking.

And some mustard is labeled 0 calories, but if you cover your hot dog in mustard thinking it's 0 calories, it might be closer to 20 or 30 calories, since I believe it's about 5 calories per teaspoon.

#winning
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Here are my profound thoughts on the matter... When I don't keep track of what I eat, I gain weight. When I do, I lose/maintain my weight. The big picture for me is being mindful of what I'm consuming, not necessarily worrying about every potentially wrongly labeled food and driving myself crazy over it all. I do consume a good bit of "zero calorie" stuff, but it's not proving to be an issue with my weight so I choose to continue what I'm doing.

With all of that said, I do log the "zero calorie" stuff because I do want to be able to look back on my diary and get a clear picture.

Team Aspartame!!
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    back on topic...

I just made my dinner and the package said it was 640g...a serving is 320g so that is "as is" not cooked...

I weighed the entire meal in the bag and it was 647 grams..so I figured the extra 7 grams was packaging...nope the package was 20g....:angry:

So the actual package is 607g therefore I have been cheating myself out of some chocolate calories...so bogus.:explode:

note: I weighed the entire thing cooked and took half of it and logged it like that...worked out to 0.90 servings

I have the same issue with rice. Boxed, bagged, precooked, doesn't seem to matter. The servings in the package are never what it claims to be (usually falls short), and don't even get me started on the dry to cooked equivalents. If there's one thing I'll always weigh/measure, it's rice.

Truth.

My solution of weighing the resulting batch of however many servings and doing the math only sort of works too because dehydration. I've gotten some really squirrelly portion sizes for cooked rice.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    one thing that is kinda nutty is Culver's fish sandwich is listed in the MFP database and several others (if you google) as being 600-ish calories but that is old info, and now it's around 800. My husband and I did the BOGOF on those awhile back at lunch, as an indulgence and we were so ticked off. I can't remember what we wound up having for dinner but it was tiny after that 800 cal lunch.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Speaking of bad database entries, is the mathematically impossible one for beef roast still in there?

ETA:
    Haven't found it yet, but here's a new one that's almost as bad:
    Roast beef - sirloin tip roast
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/update_servings/111121180

2 oz. 70 calories. 5g fat, 26g protein.

Barbie was right...math is hard. :ohwell:
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

Pfffft. Amateur.

giphy.gif
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    My main frustration is that when I search on an item because I am not wherever the barcode is, the data for the exact product I have is all skewed! I don't have any idea how to suggest a fix... Can anyone help?
  • timetravelforfitness
    timetravelforfitness Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Zero calorie soda? I'm not sure about this one, but I've seen quite a few people say they've gained weight after taking diet soda back into their dietary rotation.

I think the science behind this is actually that it your body reacts to it funny by holding on to calories, or it makes you crave sweet things, or something. It could actually be true that it has no calories, but it messes with your brain and body chemistry. I'm not a scientist, so I never really understand what they're saying, but Salt, Sugar, Fat by Michael Moss mentions it. I think the main point of what I've read is that diet soda doesn't help with weight loss, and may even cause it, even if there are no calories.

Also, I can't believe the cinnamon! I add that to everything and thought nothing of it! I mean LOTS!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Zero calorie soda? I'm not sure about this one, but I've seen quite a few people say they've gained weight after taking diet soda back into their dietary rotation.

I think the science behind this is actually that it your body reacts to it funny by holding on to calories, or it makes you crave sweet things, or something. It could actually be true that it has no calories, but it messes with your brain and body chemistry. I'm not a scientist, so I never really understand what they're saying, but Salt, Sugar, Fat by Michael Moss mentions it. I think the main point of what I've read is that diet soda doesn't help with weight loss, and may even cause it, even if there are no calories.

Also, I can't believe the cinnamon! I add that to everything and thought nothing of it! I mean LOTS!
    The science behind it is that there is no science behind it. Diet sodas are zero calories (well, usually between 1-4 calories per can.) they once did a study that concluded that people who drank diet soda were fatter than people who drank regular soda. That's where the myth comes from. The study of course, didn't find anything about diet soda to cause any issues. They didn't track food intake, either. They also didn't track how many people switched to diet soda because they gained weight, rather than gained weight by switching to diet soda.

Most people who try to claim diet soda causes weight gain conveniently leave those parts of the study out. There's nothing in a diet soda your body doesn't process on a daily basis anyway. Food doesn't "fool" your body. That's a silly notion, as your body doesn't even recognize "food." It recognizes the chemicals in the foods, but it has no idea whether that protein came from a steak or tofu. Your brain does, but your digestive system really doesn't, nor does it care. It knows how to digest and process the various amino acids that hit your stomach, and that's the only part it cares about.
  • tigersword
    Options

actually read this the only people that should watch their intake of phenylalanine are people with a certian disorder...

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/phenylalanine/faq-20058361

I figure if something can strip wallpaper and dissolve it's own aluminum container after a while... I don't need it in my stomach. I'm silly that way.
    So, you make sure to have all the stomach acid sucked out of your stomach? Stomach acid is way more corrosive than soda, after all. Imagine what that could do to an aluminum container.
  • tigersword
    Options
    I definitely agree. As for the diet soda, I doubt there's actually much in it since it's nearly all chemicals that your body can't process. But I have noticed since I cut out my diet coke, I don't eat nearly as much. I've read before that it has an effect on your brain not feeling full.
    Wha? Diet sodas are 96% water. Pretty sure your body knows how to process water. The rest of the ingredients are various proteins and minerals that your body digests by the truckload (figuratively speaking) in all the food you eat every day. There's absolutely nothing in a diet soda that you don't already eat.

Ingredients in diet coke:
    Carbonated water, colour (caramel E150d), sweeteners (aspartame, acesulfame-K), natural flavourings including caffeine, phosphoric acid, citric acid. Contains a source of phenylalanine (not a good thing btw)

Cherry diet coke:
    Carbonated water, natural flavourings including caffeine, colour (caramel E150d), citric acid, sweeteners (aspartame, acesulfame-K), phosphoric acid, acidity regulator (E331), tartaric acid. Contains a source of phenylalanine.

If you're getting any of these besides the carbonated water (and caffiene). in your daily diet, that's not good for your health.

Again, to each their own, but that's how I feel
    Hmmm.

Aspartame - Aspartic Acid and Phenylalanine, both amino acids, phenylalanine is essential for life, aspartic acid is made by the human body.

Citric Acid - Well gee, our entire human metabolism runs on something called the "Citric Acid cycle," so I'm not sure how long you'd live with no citric acid in your system. Also, oranges, lemons, grapefruits, limes, but I'm guessing you don't eat CITRUS fruits, either, right?

Phospohoric acid - Well Phosphorus is a major structural component of DNA and RNA, so again, good luck staying alive without it.

Acesulfame-K - a Potassium salt. Yeah, you need potassium to live also.

So uh yeah. If you're not getting those things in other foods you eat, you won't be alive. But hey, go ahead and keep on with your fear mongering.

G-TheGoodThingSci.png

Your logic is completely flawed, along with your science.
    Citric Acid Cycle/Krebs cycle provides its own buffering systems.
    Phosphoric acid and phosphorus are not the same thing.
    Citric Acid has been proven to tear down the animal in your teeth and affect your stomach negatively. Soda, with a pH of 3 is not healthy.
    Aspartame: Look at the research.
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/96/6/1249.short

The fact that taking each ingredient and matching it up to body components on a google search is ludicrous. As you can develop toxicity with vitamins, you can build toxicity with salts and inorganic and organic compounds.

YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT! Calories don't matter if you are feeding yourself with horrible food choices. One person wrote that she loves and eats heaps of bacon. Only worried about the fat?! What about all the nitrates and more importantly, it is not a healthy food choice.
    If calories were all that mattered, nutrition facts would not be required. Use MFP to your advantage and track your carbs, fat, protein and also your vitamins and minerals if you want to be healthy and lose weight effectively.
    Citric acid negatively affects your body? Is that why lemons are always being pushed as super healthy?

And phosphoric acid IS phosphorus. Without phosphorus, there would be no phosphoric acid.

Also, my teeth don't have animals. I think the word you're looking for is enamel, and tooth enamel is worn down by just about every food a human being eats, tomatoes and strawberries being particularly vicious examples.

The pH of your stomach is 1, so a soda with a pH of 3 would actually dilute it if anything.

And finally, there are 100 times more nitrates in leafy greens than your get from bacon.
  • misfitzchik66
    misfitzchik66 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree. As for the diet soda, I doubt there's actually much in it since it's nearly all chemicals that your body can't process. But I have noticed since I cut out my diet coke, I don't eat nearly as much. I've read before that it has an effect on your brain not feeling full.

eh I drink 3-6 diet cokes a day depending on the day...Love em...I have no issues with hunger unless I've had a heavy lifting day.

I actually drink diet soda to get rid of cravings, it actually fills me up! it's obviously not the best for your body but if it gets me through the night time cravings or in between meals then I'm for it!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Oh, yeah! I've read that artificial sweeteners do that, too. They make you think you're getting sugar, but you're not, so you start craving it. I'm not sure how much truth there is to that, but it may be connected!
    When i sued artificial sweeteners, I was hungry a lot. Now I'm just hungry sometimes.
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    What is this,...a diet soda argument over and over. People just have to be "so right." It would be nice if people spent as much time and effort on replying to the topic of discussion---"Wrongly Labeled Foods." So many of the topics get ruined this way. People act like children.
  • timetravelforfitness
    timetravelforfitness Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    The science behind it is that there is no science behind it. Diet sodas are zero calories (well, usually between 1-4 calories per can.) they once did a study that concluded that people who drank diet soda were fatter than people who drank regular soda. That's where the myth comes from. The study of course, didn't find anything about diet soda to cause any issues. They didn't track food intake, either. They also didn't track how many people switched to diet soda because they gained weight, rather than gained weight by switching to diet soda.

Most people who try to claim diet soda causes weight gain conveniently leave those parts of the study out. There's nothing in a diet soda your body doesn't process on a daily basis anyway. Food doesn't "fool" your body. That's a silly notion, as your body doesn't even recognize "food." It recognizes the chemicals in the foods, but it has no idea whether that protein came from a steak or tofu. Your brain does, but your digestive system really doesn't, nor does it care. It knows how to digest and process the various amino acids that hit your stomach, and that's the only part it cares about.

It is not a silly notion, there have been numerous animal studies which have tracked caloric intake, and, yes, we are not the same as rats, there are enough similarities that it isn't "silly" to believe there may be a correlation. Many chemicals affect the way we process foods. THC makes us crave it, nicotine can make us stop. Treating my vitamin D deficiency has drastically reduced the number of calories I take in daily, because suddenly my body doesn't feel it needs them. People with diabetes need to watch what they eat, and not just how many calories they take in, because different foods change their insulin sensitivity, this list includes artificial sweeteners.

Nutritionists and scientists don't agree that artificial sweeteners are really a problem, but if we're all trying to lose weight, our body doesn't NEED soda, and we can do this one little thing that might help, isn't it worth putting it out there? Someone was saying that they thought zero calorie sodas had hidden calories, because she was finding she was gaining weight when she drank them. I was merely trying to say that this food likely isn't wrongly labeled, but that there is debate about whether it is helpful in losing weight.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/12/04/saccharin-aspartame-dangers.aspx
    http://consumer.healthday.com/vitamins-and-nutritional-information-27/dieting-to-lose-weight-health-news-195/do-artificial-sweeteners-encourage-weight-gain-678157.html
    http://www.prweb.com/releases/2014/03/prweb11640871.htm
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    So much derp in this thread, and now a link to Mercola. I think I have a bingo!