Wrongly labeled foods!

Options

Replies

• GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Can't you take paint off of a car with soda? That's a little scary.

I'm sure vinegar has the same effect...or any acid really. It doesn't mean it's harmful.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    The citric acid, Phenylalanine does not come from natural sources. It's all chemically processed. That's what I'm getting at. I can find sites that contradict what you all are saying too
    This compound occurs naturally in the environment, leading to claims that it is something found in nature itself. Manufacturers isolate this compound and concentrate it from natural sources. They use it to make the artificial sweetener aspartame, sold commercially as Equal and NutraSweet. The body digests these sweeteners and produces several by-products, one of which is this molecule. The problem is that isolating this compound and concentrating it creates unnatural levels of intake in the body. One would not ingest this quantity from foods.
    From
    http://weightloss.answers.com/nutrition/hidden-dangers-of-phenylalanine-in-diet-coke

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/5-reasons-aspartame-is-bad-for-you.html

I don't get why me choosing not to drink diet drinks has anything to do with anyone else. I'm just stating my opinion. No you don't have to agree with it, but don't act like it's stupid please
    4 oz of chicken breast contain as much phenylalanine as 24 cans of diet soda. The idea that drinking a diet soda or two causes unnatural levels of intake in the body is laughable. There's 90mg of phenylalanine in a diet soda. Average intake in a day from food is about 3500mg (in the range of 3-3.5g of your protein goal is usually phenylalanine.)

Also, the phenylalanine is certainly natural. It comes from a naturally occuring bacteria that creates phenylalanine as a normal part of its life cycle. What makes aspartame "artificial" is that the phenylalanine and aspartic acid are combined together by a lab. The ingredients are totally natural.
    The acid in your stomach would take the paint off the car much faster than a soda.
  • elephant2mouse
    elephant2mouse Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I've found that diet soda (particularly fresca) can satisfy me if I'm wanting to munch... Lol. It's weird but I drink a little glass and the fizzy fills me up and I love the flavor; but it's only Fresca that does it.
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    a tsp of cinnamon is 25 calories.coffee 10 calories. may not seem significant but 5 cups of coffee a day can add up.
    Cinnamon?? Oh no!! I go through truckloads of this stuff weekly :/ well thank you for at least making me aware.

25? That seems like an awful lot! I'm pretty sure a teaspoon of cinnamon is closer to 5 or 6 calories.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    This one annoys me no end. If you want to be sure, weigh and measure those prepackaged foods, too. And that still might not do it. If you stall out or gain and you're just mystified about why and you've counted every calorie, this could be the issue.

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/blogs/eat-run/2012/08/21/when-nutrition-labels-lie

Unfortunately, Nutrition Facts labels are not always factual. For starters, the law allows a pretty lax margin of error—up to 20 percent—for the stated value versus actual value of nutrients. In reality, that means a 100-calorie pack could, theoretically, contain up to 120 calories and still not be violating the law. The same margin of error goes for other nutrients as well, which doesn't bode well for diabetic carb counters, folks with high blood pressure who are watching sodium intake, or moms looking to boost the iron content of their babies' diets. The FDA has never established a systematic, random label-auditing process, and compliance with the law is expected to be self-enforced by food manufacturers.
  • bingefreeaubree
    bingefreeaubree Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    a tsp of cinnamon is 25 calories.coffee 10 calories. may not seem significant but 5 cups of coffee a day can add up.
    Cinnamon?? Oh no!! I go through truckloads of this stuff weekly :/ well thank you for at least making me aware.

25? That seems like an awful lot! I'm pretty sure a teaspoon of cinnamon is closer to 5 or 6 calories.

Yeah, a teaspoon is 6 calories. A tablespoon would be close to 20, maybe that's what she was thinking.

Packets of Splenda or Truvia etc. also have ~5 calories each I believe.
    And some mustard is labeled 0 calories, but if you cover your hot dog in mustard thinking it's 0 calories, it might be closer to 20 or 30 calories, since I believe it's about 5 calories per teaspoon.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options

actually read this the only people that should watch their intake of phenylalanine are people with a certian disorder...

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/phenylalanine/faq-20058361

I figure if something can strip wallpaper and dissolve it's own aluminum container after a while... I don't need it in my stomach. I'm silly that way.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

It is 6.
    http://fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/usda/cinnamon?portionid=29575&portionamount=1.000
  • califrunnergirl
    califrunnergirl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    "nothing in a diet soda that you don't already eat" HA! I hardly think that's true unless you're eating junk and chemicals all day. Sorry not me. Diet sodas are awful in every way.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree. As for the diet soda, I doubt there's actually much in it since it's nearly all chemicals that your body can't process. But I have noticed since I cut out my diet coke, I don't eat nearly as much. I've read before that it has an effect on your brain not feeling full.

LOLin.
    "nothing in a diet soda that you don't already eat" HA! I hardly think that's true unless you're eating junk and chemicals all day. Sorry not me. Diet sodas are awful in every way.

*sigh*

[thisgunnabegood.gif]
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

actually read this the only people that should watch their intake of phenylalanine are people with a certian disorder...

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/phenylalanine/faq-20058361

I figure if something can strip wallpaper and dissolve it's own aluminum container after a while... I don't need it in my stomach. I'm silly that way.

Water can do both of those things ....
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

True story.

Water is a helluva corrosive agent.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I'm not seeing a lot of "wrongly labeled foods" mentioned here, but I am seeing a lot of "ignorance of food labeling and nutrition."
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options

Normal black coffee is 1-2cals per 8oz. Really, it is. If you are getting more oil off your beans then this, something is wrong with your system.
    Espresso is 1cal per 8oz.
    Instant coffee is 5cals per 8oz. (Most coffee houses use double shot glasses. A double shot of espresso is 1.2-2.0oz...and most drinks get 2 double shots = 2.4-4oz of espresso)
    Of course, other than the espresso, no one drinks only 8ozs .
    My coffee mug at work is 20oz, the one at home is 24, so 2.5-3 cups of coffee each time I fill up.

Coffee is like salad. Low cal until someone adds stuff to it.
  • Paolinat
    Paolinat Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Your logic is completely flawed, along with your science.
    Citric Acid Cycle/Krebs cycle provides its own buffering systems.
    Phosphoric acid and phosphorus are not the same thing.
    Citric Acid has been proven to tear down the animal in your teeth and affect your stomach negatively. Soda, with a pH of 3 is not healthy.
    Aspartame: Look at the research.
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/96/6/1249.short

The fact that taking each ingredient and matching it up to body components on a google search is ludicrous. As you can develop toxicity with vitamins, you can build toxicity with salts and inorganic and organic compounds.

YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT! Calories don't matter if you are feeding yourself with horrible food choices. One person wrote that she loves and eats heaps of bacon. Only worried about the fat?! What about all the nitrates and more importantly, it is not a healthy food choice.
    If calories were all that mattered, nutrition facts would not be required. Use MFP to your advantage and track your carbs, fat, protein and also your vitamins and minerals if you want to be healthy and lose weight effectively.
  • Paolinat
    Paolinat Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree. As for the diet soda, I doubt there's actually much in it since it's nearly all chemicals that your body can't process. But I have noticed since I cut out my diet coke, I don't eat nearly as much. I've read before that it has an effect on your brain not feeling full.
    Wha? Diet sodas are 96% water. Pretty sure your body knows how to process water. The rest of the ingredients are various proteins and minerals that your body digests by the truckload (figuratively speaking) in all the food you eat every day. There's absolutely nothing in a diet soda that you don't already eat.

Ingredients in diet coke:
    Carbonated water, colour (caramel E150d), sweeteners (aspartame, acesulfame-K), natural flavourings including caffeine, phosphoric acid, citric acid. Contains a source of phenylalanine (not a good thing btw)

Cherry diet coke:
    Carbonated water, natural flavourings including caffeine, colour (caramel E150d), citric acid, sweeteners (aspartame, acesulfame-K), phosphoric acid, acidity regulator (E331), tartaric acid. Contains a source of phenylalanine.

If you're getting any of these besides the carbonated water (and caffiene). in your daily diet, that's not good for your health.

Again, to each their own, but that's how I feel
    Hmmm.

Aspartame - Aspartic Acid and Phenylalanine, both amino acids, phenylalanine is essential for life, aspartic acid is made by the human body.

Citric Acid - Well gee, our entire human metabolism runs on something called the "Citric Acid cycle," so I'm not sure how long you'd live with no citric acid in your system. Also, oranges, lemons, grapefruits, limes, but I'm guessing you don't eat CITRUS fruits, either, right?

Phospohoric acid - Well Phosphorus is a major structural component of DNA and RNA, so again, good luck staying alive without it.

Acesulfame-K - a Potassium salt. Yeah, you need potassium to live also.

So uh yeah. If you're not getting those things in other foods you eat, you won't be alive. But hey, go ahead and keep on with your fear mongering.

G-TheGoodThingSci.png

Citric Acid has been proven to tear down the animal in your teeth and affect your stomach negatively. Soda, with a pH of 3 is not healthy.

The fact that taking each ingredient and matching it up to body components on a google search is ludicrous. As you can develop toxicity with vitamins, you can build toxicity with salts and inorganic and organic compounds.

YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT! Calories don't matter if you are feeding yourself with horrible food choices. One person wrote that she loves and eats heaps of bacon. Only worried about the fat?! What about all the nitrates and more importantly, it is not a healthy food choice.
    If calories were all that mattered, nutrition facts would not be required. Use MFP to your advantage and track your carbs, fat, protein and also your vitamins and minerals if you want to be healthy and lose weight effectively.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    I'm not seeing a lot of "wrongly labeled foods" mentioned here, but I am seeing a lot of "ignorance of food labeling and nutrition."

And no one was surprised that day.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Trans fat. The labels can claim to be trans-fat free if it's less than .49g. Look for "partially hydrogenated" in the ingredient list!
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Wha? Diet sodas are 96% water. Pretty sure your body knows how to process water. The rest of the ingredients are various proteins and minerals that your body digests by the truckload (figuratively speaking) in all the food you eat every day. There's absolutely nothing in a diet soda that you don't already eat.

Ingredients in diet coke:
    Carbonated water, colour (caramel E150d), sweeteners (aspartame, acesulfame-K), natural flavourings including caffeine, phosphoric acid, citric acid. Contains a source of phenylalanine (not a good thing btw)

Cherry diet coke:
    Carbonated water, natural flavourings including caffeine, colour (caramel E150d), citric acid, sweeteners (aspartame, acesulfame-K), phosphoric acid, acidity regulator (E331), tartaric acid. Contains a source of phenylalanine.

If you're getting any of these besides the carbonated water (and caffiene). in your daily diet, that's not good for your health.

Again, to each their own, but that's how I feel
    Hmmm.

Aspartame - Aspartic Acid and Phenylalanine, both amino acids, phenylalanine is essential for life, aspartic acid is made by the human body.

Citric Acid - Well gee, our entire human metabolism runs on something called the "Citric Acid cycle," so I'm not sure how long you'd live with no citric acid in your system. Also, oranges, lemons, grapefruits, limes, but I'm guessing you don't eat CITRUS fruits, either, right?

Phospohoric acid - Well Phosphorus is a major structural component of DNA and RNA, so again, good luck staying alive without it.

Acesulfame-K - a Potassium salt. Yeah, you need potassium to live also.

So uh yeah. If you're not getting those things in other foods you eat, you won't be alive. But hey, go ahead and keep on with your fear mongering.

G-TheGoodThingSci.png

Why do you hate beet juice?
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

I'm sure vinegar has the same effect...or any acid really. It doesn't mean it's harmful.

I suspect my home-brewed kombucha would strip paint too. Pretty sure that isn't deleterious to the human body either.

*shrug*